BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield Weak Link?

So we look set to sign 2 new midfielders in Castillo & Villanueva, and when Bentley goes, a replacement for him.

So who do you think we be allowed to leave from the midfield? The axe is obviously odds on favourite, as we also have Vogel.

Surely Dunn will be struggling to get into the team? Not too sure about how safe Reid will be either?

So we might play 5 in the midfield - what would your midfield be and who do you thinkshould be allowed to go if any and why?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we look set to sign 2 new midfielders in Castillo & Villanueva, and when Bentley goes, a replacement for him.

So who do you think we be allowed to leave from the midfield? The axe is obviously odds on favourite, as we also have Vogel.

Surely Dunn will be struggling to get into the team? Not too sure about how safe Reid will be either?

So we might play 5 in the midfield - what would your midfield be and who do you thinkshould be allowed to go if any and why?

Sorry but isn't this covered by the formation thread?

Dunn, I was not that impressed with him last season, like players have no apparent loyalty to a club, Rovers will have to be selfish and let the weakest link go.. :(

Mokoena and Reid were by far the weakest links last season. Dunny is worth keeping for his enthusiasm alone.

We can probably get a fee for Reid.

I thought Vogel looked quiet a good capture last season, i think the weakest link was Dunn. Reid obviously wasnt great either but rarely played in the centre.

Sorry but isn't this covered by the formation thread?

No it isnt. Its just about our midfield and about who we should or shouldnt let go. I know alot of people who think Dunn isnt up to it, even though he is a blue through and through, so I thought we should capture other peoples views, but didnt wana restrict it to just about Dunn.

Id personally sell the Axe.

I would keep Dunn and Reid in and around the squad as I think they are both good squad players at the very least. Dunn will never be as good as before and Reid well he has never been the most technically sound player, but is hard working, runs alot and can carry the ball as well, so he is a good alternative for central midfield, an emergency right back and a backup right winger. Id definitely be bringing on Tugay as much as I can late in games. No place for Mokoena (sell him).

My line up in midfield ->

Villanueva

Pedersen - Vogel - Castillo - OUR NEW RIGHT WINGER AND NOT BRETT EMERTON

The important thing is that we've got people who can do different kind of jobs when called upon.

If we need to play defensively, we've got Vogel, If we need to keep the ball and pass it around then Tugay is our man. If we need some energy then we've got Reid. Castillo and Villanueva will offer us something we didn't really have last season. Dunny has the enthusiasm and has the ability to make a good pass and a keen eye for goal and finally if we want to give away freekicks then we've got Mokoena.

Axe should be sold defenitely! Also Reid if some one pay enough. Not because he is a poor player because he isn´t. Especially if we have new RB and Bentley stays/we buy him a cover. For two CM places we had Castillo,Vogel,Reid,Dunn,Emerton and Tugay. Chilean guy as a playmaker for Roque. Reid´s sell could be good business.

Does anyone else think Ince might have quickly sussed Vogel isn't actually very good?

The one thing against him is age; I thought he was better than both Reid and Dunn last season. Although they do have the advantages of acting as cover for the wide midfield spots, even if neither is really suited to those positions.

I would have Bentley - Dunn/Reid - Castillo - MGP. With King Carlos playing ahead of the in that free role. Plenty of options for Ince to tinker around with but we should get rid of a few, maybe that could spare up a few more cash for Ince.

Come on Madrid, make a bid for the Axe, Special Offer right now, ONLY £25million for you :lol:

The one thing against him is age; I thought he was better than both Reid and Dunn last season. Although they do have the advantages of acting as cover for the wide midfield spots, even if neither is really suited to those positions.

Vogel is a utility man as well though isnt he.. from what I read he actually plays right back from time to time for the swiss and even central defense.. I reckon he would be decent cover for a few positions.

I reckon the axe will go though.. cant really see him fitting into ince plans.. Reid is decent cover for the left or middle, Dunn is a blackburn lad and I feel Ince would want to keep that despite probably limited games for Dunn...

I have a feeling this debate may not come down to who we want to get rid off, but who is willing to play second or third fiddle for the team... Maybe a few of the younger lads may get loan deals out of the club to prove themselves, Rigters and Peter spring to mind.

though i do feel aaron gets way to much negativity, i must admit he do not fit into ince' plans, if he want to play entertaining football. axe can tackle, and send the ball to tugay. haha

i take if for granted the new guys are good enough to get a place in the team. if not i dont want any of them. - thats do not count andrews haha. i dont think he is any better than berner, so dont buy!

sell axe and bentley. get castillo, chile and a new winger. should be good.

too bad tugay is not 25 anymore...or even 33! :lol:

I think we wil play 1 up front in Cruz.just behind him a link up midfielder in Villanueva.4 across the middle.gamst down the left.castillo and vogel in the centre and bents or sumbody else down the right.and then our back 4.warnock,nelsen,ooijer and new right back.i would sell mokoena.

Well with two new midfielders coming in, and a new RB probably forcing Emerton to contend for a midfield spot it means that we are probs looking at 12 available midfielders as it stands. If we get Andrews in thats 13(!). And Derbyshire has been primarily playing as a right winger recently..

A few have to go..... Axe for certain to leave, Tugay will probs be pushed into a very small role in the squad. You have to fear for one of Dunn or Reid (or maybe Vogel...) - just not enough places in the squad. However as Ince will need time to asess we probably won't shed players until January.

I think you'll see Reid staying as he's also a utility type player, ar RB or Right wing. In fact there was in a few lat matches last season a real difficult to mark or break 3-way swtich/cover being played with Bents/Reid/Bert since all 3 could cover all 3 positions to some extent.

However, if we are going to play more up-temp "Exciting" football, and with 7 subs... I wouldn't be surprised to see Ince keep the quantity of midfielders we have (minus Axe) and start subbing them at the 60 min mark to keep everyone happy and keep fresh legs in the centre to boss possession.

Although, if we lose the Axe, perhaps Ince is trying to get rid of our "international captain's club" so watch out Nelsen, Ooijer, Axe, Reid, Vogel, (any others I missed? unsure if Jason, Zurab or Tugay ever captained their nations...)

Archived