BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield Weak Link?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought about the midfield - we have a lot of players but with everyone fit a 5 man (which seems Ince's preference) an attacking midfield of say

Emerton Reid Dunn Bresciano Villanuava (if he's okay)

would be very mobile and powerful with a few goals too.

You could also field a defensive one:

Emerton Vogel Axe Tugay Pederson

Just a thought about the midfield - we have a lot of players but with everyone fit a 5 man (which seems Ince's preference) an attacking midfield of say

Emerton Reid Dunn Bresciano Villanuava (if he's okay)

would be very mobile and powerful with a few goals too.

You could also field a defensive one:

Emerton Vogel Axe Tugay Pederson

Just a question, why would you have Gamst in the defensive midfield and not the attacking?

That seems to be where he spent most of last season - deep l/m.

I thought that was because premiership teams predominantly attack via right wing or central midfield and he chased back a lot.

I do think that he will get more of the ball and will be encouraged to whip the ball in from distance this season, or drag defenders wide with him and pass to center.

Playing defensive or offensive I believe he will be in the team no matter what tactic or formation.

I think it will be Dunn who will see less action, sadly as I like the player.

What position is this guy Villanueva? I thought that he was a right winger, but from the clips on youtube, he is clearly a left footed player. It sounds like he could play off Roque as well which could work well. At least there would be some competition for places on the left wing and from the clips I've seen, he would be another guy who could fairly spank a ball like Pedersen.

What position is this guy Villanueva? I thought that he was a right winger, but from the clips on youtube, he is clearly a left footed player. It sounds like he could play off Roque as well which could work well. At least there would be some competition for places on the left wing and from the clips I've seen, he would be another guy who could fairly spank a ball like Pedersen.

From what I've read and seen he looks like a hole/free role player TBH, he could offer cover and competion to MGP out wide though.

IMO, the weak link is the central defensive midfielder who can chase n tackle with very high work rate and stamina. no one from our current midfielders fits the bill.

Emerton showed last season he can do that. Ince is after a right back and a right winger so Emerton probably won't start here, but he's also been given a four year contract so he must be firmly in the first team picture...hopefully all that adds up to him playing in the centre.

Emerton showed last season he can do that. Ince is after a right back and a right winger so Emerton probably won't start here, but he's also been given a four year contract so he must be firmly in the first team picture...hopefully all that adds up to him playing in the centre.

Agreed. More Bert mk 3 please!

Agreed. More Bert mk 3 please!

I have always thought emerton is more of a right-sided player either midfield or wingback. He had played centre midfield for a handful of matches towards the end of the season if i'm not wrong. Not sure if he is the long term solution to central midfield defensive duties. i hope he will be if PI doesn't get another one in. :rock:

Ok so we are abit clearer on who can play where now - Reid cant do RB and Axe is no central defender. So we have Reid, Dunn, Axe, Vogel, Carlos, Tugay already in the middle. Big Head has gone for £17m. We also know Treacy is no right winger.

I think we should let Axe go, aswell as gally and also maybe Vogel if we get a new midfielder in. Maybe allow Treacy out on loan too.

Annan and the french lad coming for trials too. Interesting times ahead.

Archived