BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Sky Deal

philipl

Sky have secured the first four packages at a higher price.

The fifth package will be fought over by ESPN, Sky and Setanta and the sixth by ESPN and Setanta.

So it looks like the media package is going to increase by a small amount at the very least.

Hmm if ESPN got one of them and Setanta got the other, that would balls things up. I presume that it'd be an extra set of channels to subscribe to. I know with the Setanta package you get ESPN (was NASN until the other day), but surely they wouldn't air it on that.

Thats good news I suppose... Hopefully we stay up & get to see a bit for transfers. Its pretty crappy if we go down though!!! Does anyone know if there is a parachute payment for relegation, or how much it is??? I know that sounds a little pesimistic, I'm quite confident in us staying up, but i was just wondering!!!

Thats good news I suppose... Hopefully we stay up & get to see a bit for transfers. Its pretty crappy if we go down though!!! Does anyone know if there is a parachute payment for relegation, or how much it is??? I know that sounds a little pesimistic, I'm quite confident in us staying up, but i was just wondering!!!

The parachute payment must go to paying out on players contracts... if it even covers that. As a warning to all the bottom 3 of the championship tonight are Charlton, Southampton and Watford! :o

I'd like to think were run slightly better than the current bottom 3 clubs in the championship though. If we did go, we would lose quite a few of our first teamers, but it'd give chance for some of the younger players to come through, thats what happened last time we went down & look at the team we went back up with, Dunn, Duff, Jansen, Mahon etc. Anyway maybe i've started us thinking too much about relegation... It's not gonna happen!!! ;)

I'd like to think were run slightly better than the current bottom 3 clubs in the championship though. If we did go, we would lose quite a few of our first teamers, but it'd give chance for some of the younger players to come through, thats what happened last time we went down & look at the team we went back up with, Dunn, Duff, Jansen, Mahon etc. Anyway maybe i've started us thinking too much about relegation... It's not gonna happen!!! ;)

Yes but remember how much Charlton punched above their weight before they lost Curbishley. And we have noone remotely of the quality of Duff and Dunn in our ranks this time, and we were very lucky Jansen picked us over United. Today's lower league Matt Jansens seem to invariably go to Spurs.

I'm fairly nonplussed about these Sky deals, I'm fairly sure they contribute to wage inflation and little else since every club gets the same. Wages have increased four-fold since 1997, I'm fairly sure you could draw a similar line with the TV deal stats.

Brings up a new debate - who would stay if we went down?

Roque, Warnock, Samba, Nelsen would all probably be bought.

Weirdly I think Benni would stay.

Tugay, Andrews, Robinson, Pedersen, Roberts, Emerton (because he wouldn't pass any medicals), Dunn and Reid would probably stay.

Yep i think your right with the Benni thing... I'd like to think Nelsen would stay & the rest that you mention there would probably stay apart from pedersen, i think he would go to a team on the continent. If they did stay, that doesnt look a bad team to me!!!

Tugay, Andrews, Robinson, Pedersen, Roberts, Emerton (because he wouldn't pass any medicals), Dunn and Reid would probably stay.

Only those willing to take a drop in wages and those who get no other offers would stay. After Tugay, Axe, Andrews and Roberts I'm struggling to think of any more. :rolleyes:

Only those willing to take a drop in wages and those who get no other offers would stay. After Tugay, Axe, Andrews and Roberts I'm struggling to think of any more. :rolleyes:

Spot on.

It would be open season on all the squad until the wage bill had dropped from £40m+ to less than £15m.

The parachute payment of £16m contrasts with media income of £41m last season.

If we did go down our dearth of young quality would really cost us. On reflection I think a pre-emptive Jansen style signing should have been a priority, either in a creative midfield or attacking role, as even if we stayed up there'd still be a good chance he'd develop into a good player for this league.

I think we'd regret loaning Derbs out too as I'm sure he'd pick Champions League football with Olympiakos versus Championship football with us if it came down to it.

If we did go down our dearth of young quality would really cost us. On reflection I think a pre-emptive Jansen style signing should have been a priority, either in a creative midfield or attacking role, as even if we stayed up there'd still be a good chance he'd develop into a good player for this league.

I think we'd regret loaning Derbs out too as I'm sure he'd pick Champions League football with Olympiakos versus Championship football with us if it came down to it.

A Jansen style player would have been a good move full stop. Our lack of movement in the transfer window was disappointing but at the end of the day, we now have to make do with what we have. I firmly believe that we will be staying up, no doubt that we have a tough month ahead, but im sure the boys will make the most of it. We are only a couple of players diffrent from last season... allthough the squad is a year older, we still have some pretty good players.

At least the finale to this season will be more exciting this time around!!!

This is how the Sky/Setanta money is divided:

• 50% of the total money goes to an equal share basis to the 20 PL clubs, while relegated clubs also receive some of this money in the form of parachute payments, currently £16m per year following relegation.

• 25% of the money is paid in facility fees based on the number of appearances on TV. (Roughly increases with league position except for a bias towards big city clubs)

• 25% is paid in merit payments based on the club`s league position. (Roughly £700K per place)

All this is after about 10% is initially deducted for running the Premier League and the donations to the lower leagues and grass root football.

I'm fairly nonplussed about these Sky deals, I'm fairly sure they contribute to wage inflation and little else since every club gets the same. Wages have increased four-fold since 1997, I'm fairly sure you could draw a similar line with the TV deal stats.

Very true. While I suppose one can argue the first round of Sky money helped build new stadia to the benefit of supporters the subsequent rounds have done nothing to improve football in general and have simply fueled the ever increasing wages of star footballers. Add to this the foreign ownership of PL clubs, which will ultimately end in tears (except perhaps at Villa), which is driven purely by the earnings potential and we can see the billions thrown at football by Sky have been utterly wasted by the collective PL clubs. The collective irresponsibility of PL chairmen and management is mind boggling. Even with all this free cash the PL is expected to have one, yes ONE, profitable club this year with the total losses to PL clubs being in the region of 10-15% of PL turnover.

The future of the game would be better served by a reduction in TV money. as it stands we simply have another three years of excess ahead of us. Just cost me £120 for three to OT. Stupid.......that's me stupid for paying it.

• Backroom

Sorry but not a chance Benni would stay and rightly so, going into a World Cup season, a world cup that would be his last chance AND in his home country? He couldn't risk being overlooked by playing in a lower league.

ffs,

Philipl starts a positive thread and the usual merchants of doom jump in.

We have not lost since BFS took charge.

While he may not be every body's cup of tea he is doing a million times better than the last clown who mis-managed the club and even the media now expext us to stay up, when we were dead and buried with the last regime.

Get a life you negative bXXXXXXs :lol:

upwards and onwards :rover:

Does anyone actually like the Setanta package though? I've honestly never heard a good report about them.

Premiership Plus was always good because you paid a £1 a game if you bought early. Even if you didnt you could get a season ticket for c. £2 a game.

Setanta however £11 a month for a load of dross you wouldnt even watch, for the same 50 games, would cost you £11 x 10 (August, September, October etc) = £111 for a season, more than double the early bird special on Premiership Plus!

Does anyone actually like the Setanta package though? I've honestly never heard a good report about them.

Premiership Plus was always good because you paid a £1 a game if you bought early. Even if you didnt you could get a season ticket for c. £2 a game.

Setanta however £11 a month for a load of dross you wouldnt even watch, for the same 50 games, would cost you £11 x 10 (August, September, October etc) = £111 for a season, more than double the early bird special on Premiership Plus!

Yes but you can't get Premiership Plus without having Sky first which many people can't afford. Setanta seemed like a viable option for people who can just boy a freeview box and pay a £10 subscription and then still get a bit of football to watch.

Without doubt Sky is the best value for money but the £40 or £50 monthly subscription is a lot of money to fork out these days for some people.

Anyway we all know the best place to watch it is down the pub :)

Archived