BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spotify Yourself!

Just been introduced to a quality online music applicaiton. The layout is similar to Itunes complete with song info, album info and album artwork. The application is called Spotify and can be found at the following website.

http://www.spotify.com/en/

To get started click on the free tab, then create a username and password. Then download and save the application. Install it then your ready to go, just click the application and log in using your name and password.

There are masses of songs available to listen, though you cant download them. Great for abit of music whilst working on the PC. You can even make playlists with your songs as you can in itunes.

Spotify.jpg

Great little application, and its all free! :D

I've been using it for a few weeks and have got Modes onto it.

He can get his Lily Allen fix on the move now then, he'll be happy. ;)

Unfortunately my work's web filter blocks the site, although I've managed to download and install it from elsewhere, I obviously can't sign up to it without getting on the website. Can anyone think of a way round this (before I get home obviously!)

Been using this for a few days now and it's incredibly impressive. In fact, this is potentially the biggest thing to happen to music since Napster.

The biggest drawback so far is the library isn't terribly big, there are a lot of things I want to listen to that aren't on there (in fact, I struggled to find things that were at first). Still, I'm sure that will improve with time.

I cant believe its legal. I wonder if the record companys have actualy agreed to have all their music free to anyone who wants to listen to it. I bet someone develops some software where you can download stuff from it before long.

This appears to be similar to Pandora. Now that was sensational. I say "was" as it's not available to me as they identify users by ISP rather than by postcode as they used to.

The Spotify people have taken a similar approach.

It's paid for by advertising (with Pandora you had the option of paying for a "no adverts" feed). The library at Pandora was huge and they had gone to the trouble of classifying the music, so if you wanted to listen to a style, it would bring up a random selection of artists playing that style.

But they did have a good example from which to copy.

I'm just peeved that I can't get pandora. Excellent, excellent site. The people that developed it obviously knew what they wanted to achieve and took great care in getting there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This appears to be similar to Pandora. Now that was sensational. I say "was" as it's not available to me as they identify users by ISP rather than by postcode as they used to.

The Spotify people have taken a similar approach.

It's paid for by advertising (with Pandora you had the option of paying for a "no adverts" feed). The library at Pandora was huge and they had gone to the trouble of classifying the music, so if you wanted to listen to a style, it would bring up a random selection of artists playing that style.

Well on Spotify you have got an 'Artist radio' function which plays random music within the same kind of style.

Spotify is great - keeps most people in work entertained!

I'm also loving spotify, I've managed to get it to run on my Acer One through Linux by running it under WINE.

I use it with a 3G mobile dongle and have shed loads of music wherever I go, it's great.

Not really set up any playlists yet, just tend to listen to albums.

Archived