BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pandemic

Every so often the 'drog posts an opinion that shows how out of touch with reality he is and that last one is an absolute classic.

Carry on gunner part 2.....

Explain this graph please with particular reference to Eu figures......... Oh and while you are at it click to run the timeline.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8083179.stm

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what you wrote:

The speed and ease with which this flu was imported is ludicrous. We have been hit harder than other countries because of our 'relaxed' attitude. BUT wtf would have happened if this swine flu had been a far more deadly virus? My intuition tells me that many of the population would have succumbed and died on a massive scale simply because the govt did not want to upset individuals holiday plans.

Admit it 'drog- you are typical know it all boorishly spouting the same old warped rubbish on any subject that takes your fancy because in the real world you are nowhere near any position of real power or influence and hence totally oblivious to what the actual emmergency powers and procedures are in the UK.

Real Rovers fans are sweating on Kalinic getting a work permit- you'd stick him on a boat out of here and sink it!

Admit it 'drog- you are typical know it all boorishly spouting the same old warped rubbish on any subject that takes your fancy because in the real world you are nowhere near any position of real power or influence and hence totally oblivious to what the actual emmergency powers and procedures are in the UK.

OK I was applying a level of irony (which you appear to be impervious to) but I'd like you to explain how good our 'emmergency powers and procedures' are in light of that timeline which suggests they are the worst in Europe by a mile, hence my fears for our society should a more fatal disease manifest itself somewhere around the globe.

Alternatively our emmergency powers and procedures which you have so much faith in should serve to allay some fears in the news today about our nations ability to feed ourselves in a generation or two. After all we cannot die from disease and starvation at the same time can we?

considering it was holiday makers and business people from the states that brought it over, i'm intrigued on how we can blame it on lax immigration.

Still, lets panic over something less deadly than trousers shall we?

considering it was holiday makers and business people from the states that brought it over, i'm intrigued on how we can blame it on lax immigration.

Still, lets panic over something less deadly than trousers shall we?

I'm intrigued where you got that from. I referred to holiday makers too not immigrants. Not that it really matters who is the carrier.

to be honest, unless all holiday makers are quarantined for a fortnight there's not too much that can be done

That is my point. Quarantine them and that might deter people from travelling to disease hotspots and taking selfish risks. As I said earlier one day sooner or later one of these 'new' viruses will prove deadly dangerous. And I'm afraid letting people wander in willy nilly as potential carriers would be suicidal. Rem governments are supposed to govern for the benefit of the people. It's their job.

That is my point. Quarantine them and that might deter people from travelling to disease hotspots and taking selfish risks. As I said earlier one day sooner or later one of these 'new' viruses will prove deadly dangerous. And I'm afraid letting people wander in willy nilly as potential carriers would be suicidal. Rem governments are supposed to govern for the benefit of the people. It's their job.

That's an interesting idea. Do you have any practical suggestions on the quarantine arrangements that could be put in place for the tens of thousands of people who enter this country everyday from abroad?

Do you think the aviation and shipping industry could cope with all their staff spending a couple of weeks in an isolation hospital somewhere in the UK in between landing/ docking in the UK? The people coming through the channel tunnel must number a few thousand a day. Any thoughts on them, and the staff that run the trains?

Or perhaps you just haven't thought it through.

Anyway

swine flu by country.

That's an interesting idea. Do you have any practical suggestions on the quarantine arrangements that could be put in place for the tens of thousands of people who enter this country everyday from abroad?

Do you think the aviation and shipping industry could cope with all their staff spending a couple of weeks in an isolation hospital somewhere in the UK in between landing/ docking in the UK? The people coming through the channel tunnel must number a few thousand a day. Any thoughts on them, and the staff that run the trains?

Or perhaps you just haven't thought it through.

Anyway

swine flu by country.

OK so you suggest that some future Domesday bug will be welcomed with open arms cos you can't figure anything else out eh? :rolleyes:

OK so you suggest that some future Domesday bug will be welcomed with open arms cos you can't figure anything else out eh? :rolleyes:

Whilst you're waiting for Colin's reply, maybe you should read the data in the link he posted then fix this sentence you wrote earlier on:

I'd like you to explain how good our 'emmergency powers and procedures' are in light of that timeline which suggests they are the worst in Europe by a mile

Half the problem was that people had left Mexico and the US and ended up back here before it was realised there was a problem.

But lets get all Daily Mail and ban all holidays abroad. Ever. Bognor, here we come

Half the problem was that people had left Mexico and the US and ended up back here before it was realised there was a problem.

But lets get all Daily Mail and ban all holidays abroad. Ever. Bognor, here we come

And if swine flu had been a completely devastating disease? And don't ever think that this will not happen.

Constructive input instead of flippancy required this time Flopsy please.

Whilst you're waiting for Colin's reply, maybe you should read the data in the link he posted then fix this sentence you wrote earlier on:

1. Please save me some time and tell me how different Colins link is much different to my earlier one LeC.

2. What needs fixing?

And if swine flu had been a completely devastating disease? And don't ever think that this will not happen.

Constructive input instead of flippancy required this time Flopsy please.

1. Please save me some time and tell me how different Colins link is much different to my earlier one LeC.

2. What needs fixing?

If it was a completely devestating disease with a 2 week gestation, we'd be just as screwed as we dont quarantine everyone coming into the country. Ergo unless you knew there had been an outbreak of, say Ebola, from this country then you'ld be able to apply quarantine. As you get sick very quickly, however as far as I understand with this Piggy Flu, the disease had spread to America and Europe, before it was realised it was going on. The scale of the infection suggests that it wasnt holiday maker from Mexico that was the problem, but more likely the number of trips, both business and pleasure to the US that meant the widespread infections in this country.

It appears that biology, medicine and viriology are outside your knowledge range as well as physics.

Theno,

You haven't quite got the hang of this discussion business.

You suggested some kind of quarantine measures. I asked what you had in mind, and that quarantine measures may be impossible and unworkable due to the vast numbers of people coming into the country via various entry points.

What you should now do is reply with the practical ideas you have for implimenting these measures, to render my point redundant.

What you really shouldn't do is castigate me for not thinking of methods of implimenting your idea and thus rendering my comment pointless. Get that?

So, how are you going to impliment the quarantine measures you propose? I look forward to your response.

If it was a completely devestating disease with a 2 week gestation, we'd be just as screwed as we dont quarantine everyone coming into the country. Ergo unless you knew there had been an outbreak of, say Ebola, from this country then you'ld be able to apply quarantine. As you get sick very quickly, however as far as I understand with this Piggy Flu, the disease had spread to America and Europe, before it was realised it was going on. The scale of the infection suggests that it wasnt holiday maker from Mexico that was the problem, but more likely the number of trips, both business and pleasure to the US that meant the widespread infections in this country.

It appears that biology, medicine and viriology are outside your knowledge range as well as physics.

Silly little parting shot there brains. You don't appear to be able to help yourself do you? However I'll bet my knowledge of those subjects is 10x better than your spelling though. :P

And as for this "If it was a completely devestating disease with a 2 week gestation, we'd be just as screwed" :rolleyes: And you call me thick! :lol::P

Admit it 'drog.

You are daft as a brush and getting whupped here.

Getting whupped? How so when none of you smarmy brainboxes can offer a workable course of action should a really deadly pandemic break out. The speed that bacteria / virus's are becoming increasingly tolerant of anti-biotics / modern medicine suggests that such an outbreak will only be a matter of time. Unfortunately the marvellous 'we'd be just as screwed' from your gormless mate is the best effort yet, why don't you see if you can beat it instead of just poncing about picking the odd orange or two for breakfast, dinner and tea? Or do you think ODing on Vit C is the solution?

No no Drog. You brought up the issue of how poorly it's been handled and how any ape could do a better job. Now everyone has asked you to tell us how you personally would have stopped it but you can't seem to find a solution.

In your own time.

Yah daft sod! It's me who has been asking everybody else for some input. All we are getting though on here are silly and immature comments. If you really want to contribute then read the thread for ###### sake!

In a nutshell we have more swine flu than the rest of Europe by a mile so 1. why is that? 2. what would we do if the next disease is far more deadly? and 3. Should we scoff less and maybe look to the europeans to run our emergency quarantine and disease defences for us?

Now off you go.

The speed and ease with which this flu was imported is ludicrous. We have been hit harder than other countries because of our 'relaxed' attitude.

I think it was this bit that sparked it Drog. I'm just genuinely asking how you'd rectify this error that you claim we have? Colin has pointed out the magnitude of people entering the country makes it infeasible to vet people individually, so what do you suppose we do instead?

I think it was this bit that sparked it Drog. I'm just genuinely asking how you'd rectify this error that you claim we have? Colin has pointed out the magnitude of people entering the country makes it infeasible to vet people individually, so what do you suppose we do instead?

Since you seem to be winding your neck in ADB....

Not my field but logic would suggest that maybe we should

1. find out what they did on the continent which appears to have been more effective.

2. The first lot of swine flu came from Mexico so surely all incoming flights from Mexico could have been re-routed to one dedicated airport or more likely airbase with the necessary quarantine facilities being put in place. Also all outgoing flights to mexico should have been cancelled. Incoming flights from Europe, Africa and Asia would have been unaffected so Colins point at this stage would not apply. Maybe you and he should have thought that point through a little further.

Is it not odd that contagious / infectious diseases of animals are dealt with in a far different manner? As soon as the non fatal but highly contagious F&M disease is diagnosed in a country then meat and animal movement from that country is banned outright by most other nations to prevent spread of the disease. Similar precautions are implemented as soon as the likes of swine fever, bse etc are diagnosed, but when human health is threatened by contagious disease it doesn't seem to be deemed quite as important. People movement remains largely unaffected. Completely ludicrous of course, or is it because human rights and civil liberties are not enjoyed by the animal kingdom?

So there you go. it may be simplistic, it may be infeasible, it's certainly only scratching the surface but it's a damned site better than the continuing silence from the likes of Dumb and Dumber above.

Archived