BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England In The Olympics

It looks like England might get to represent GB at football in the 2012 Olympics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/8072981.stm

I'm not so sure about it myself. I guess the worry is that should it happene even in the way they are planning now then FIFA will force the four countries to play as one in the future and I don't think many people will want that!

You can see how the rest of the world feels. Why should one country be allowed four teams? We have to 'play ball' with every other sport in the Olympics. We also had a British team in the first four Olympics - winning them all. The last couple were official gold medals. Then we bacame spoilt brats after the First World War - refusing to play teams we'd fought against. Be interesting if FIFA said not only one country, but one league too.

As a matter of personal curiosity, who thinks any of the Irish/Scots/Welsh would actually get into a GB team? It'd just be England, if the country has the freedom of picking any national. Gordon might make the bench but apart from that...

Robinson (;))

Johnson--Terry--Rio--Cole

Beckham--Gerrard--Lampard--J.Cole

Rooney--Heskey/Owen/Crouch/Defoe

Even then which youngsters make it? Reality is that any British side would be dominated by English players. First obvious reason for that is an advantage in population size, but also football in England has just been much stronger than in either Scotland or Wales for some time now.

Even then which youngsters make it? Reality is that any British side would be dominated by English players. First obvious reason for that is an advantage in population size, but also football in England has just been much stronger than in either Scotland or Wales for some time now.

Of the top of my head I can think of a few non-English players who'd have a decent shout at getting in the side.

Darren Gibson, Jonny Evans, Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Collison

I think GB could put together quite a strong team if all the nations co-operated. It's a shame that it'll be restricted to English players although what can the other FAs do to block 'rebels' playing for the team? Not much for either a moral or legal standpoint I'd have thought.

Which would be won by England. :P

As such what with Northern Ireland being the reigning British Champions it should indeed be us.

Not to mention the last time we played we managed to beat your lot.

Darren Gibson, Jonny Evans, Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Collison

Good few names there that I would have suggested myself for selection. Darren Gibson would open a right can of worms given he was born in NI and plays for the RoI.

If FIFA go down the route of tying to say that there should be a Team GB in the future then Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland have no choice really.

As such what with Northern Ireland being the reigning British Champions it should indeed be us.

Not to mention the last time we played we managed to beat your lot.

Not forgetting the 4-0 hammering only a few months before?

Good few names there that I would have suggested myself for selection. Darren Gibson would open a right can of worms given he was born in NI and plays for the RoI.

If FIFA go down the route of tying to say that there should be a Team GB in the future then Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland have no choice really.

Archived