BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

The Eleven O'Clocker

Had to hold this back for fear of the story being lifted and gathering a life of its own...apparently that has already happened.

I have heard the Poggy fee would be in the region of £9 million which is frankly ridiculous. His contract is out soon, so you are being asked to pay £9 million for the privilege of having him for half-a-season or one window...

Unless that figure drops it is a total waste of money.

The fee would also explain why no-one has signed him this summer.

Said it before, say it again, this is a very tough time to be chasing strikers.

Hopefully Di Santo has a quiet night for Chelsea and heads north pronto.

Badly needed.

What do you mean we will pay £9 million to have him for half a season?

Poggy now costs...£9 million.

Poggy from January costs...nothing.

So that is the ridiculous difference.

Nicko, do you think that the deal will still go ahead and is Sam still over there? Is Pogrebnyak willing to come to Ewood now and is there any way that Zenit will reduce their price?

I don't think it will go ahead at an inflated price. There are still a lot of other strikers out there.

By the way, the match reports say Poggy played like a pig in labour yesterday...so I don't know whether that has put Sam off anyway.

nicko, do you know if sam has watched anyone else this weekend ?

I haven't heard anything on that...all the chatter has been about our Russian pal...Sam could have gone somewhere else but I think he will probably focus on this one until he finds out what the 'real' price is and if the Russians are bluffing.

Got to say I wouldn't fancy negotiating with that mob.

Problem is I don't think we can wait until January to bring in a new striker. Roberts isn't the best finisher, Benni won't play if he's fat, asking Di Santo to be our main goalscorer is a tall ask and Gally i can't see him being a prolific goalscorer.

£9 million is ridiculous, any chance we could get it down to 5 or 6?

If the price doesn't drop I think you will go elsewhere...and, no, I have no idea who or where on that one.

The main appeal for Poggy would have been if the price was low. If the price isn't low it's a 'niet' in my book.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

It's murder waiting on things to develop...but quite glad to see all of the Di Santo doubters now realising that the kid would be quite a signing.

Hopefully news on that one within 24 hours.

Nicko is our Chelsea chum having his medical today?

I'm not even sure he is back in the country yet...

Sky Sports are linking us to Chimbonda. Again.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_5456151,00.html

The story is coming from Spurs...which tells you they want rid. It's probably been leaked to get Hull City to increase their interest...they are possibly favourites for him.

Nicko - Can you see us haggling this £9m fee down? Didn't Zenit originally want £22m for Arshavin, but settled for £15m? Or am I getting my facts wrong?

I can't see it happening at £9 million, so if the price doesn't drop the player stays where he is...and they get nothing.

Other fish in the sea, etc.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread, which has seen the addition of nearly 20 pages during this period. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread, with an interesting shift in topic over the last 24 hours from angst over the Pogrebnyak and Di Santo situations to an undercurrent of anticipation over the potential new signing of Kamel Ghilas of Celta Vigo.

The Eleven 0'Clocker

There are only two names that matter just now. Here is where they are at for what it's worth.

DI SANTO...July 28 was always going to be D-Day...I hoped to hear something early but without success....I still think Chelsea will say 'yes' tomorrow and will be disappointed if they change their mind...so will Rovers...and so will presumably his mum and dad in Cobham.

POGGY...got to say this becomes less likely by the hour...the fee thing is a worry...and I did hear from one agent today that the price is 'only £5.5 million' and wondered where the £9 million came from...I share that wonder...the Pogster had a beast on Saturday too, so maybe that one is going to drift away.

On another note Spurs got Crouch on the cheap tonight - between 9 and 10 mill - because they paid it all up front and the dough goes to Pompey's bank.

The Arab who was going to bring Maradona and his mates has yet to get his money into the Pompey coffers.

If ever there was a story that summed up the stupidity of modern fooball it is this one.

And also Darren Bent and Sunderland should be on. For those of us who had 16s on that when Brucie took the job that is one deal that is well overdue. :lol:

Nicko,

Any truth in Warnock to Villa? It is in the Guardian tomorrow.

Cheers

Why do I always feel 'last summer' when I hear Warnock stories?

It could be right, somebody is obviously revving it up. But Rovers don't need to sell just now.

It's not like they are buying anyone...

Pavlyuchenko has undoubted quality but isn't a workhorse like Pogrebnyak is. And, like a lot of other players, he needs a season to adapt - he'll shine (hopefully for someone else than Spuds).

I thought he was going to be a top player, but he is a bit soft. Perfect example of a foreign player who looks good until he tries to take on the Premier League...it's a different game.

ps Surely Big Sam isnt naive enough to ditch the Poggy idea because he had 1 bad game!

If it's the only game he's seen him in it might have left quite an impression. Of the wrong kind.

[...]

Should we be worried if the Di Santo deal doesn't go through by the end of tommorow?

[...]

If Di Santo isn't on his way up tomorrow then he won't be coming.

[...]

If Di Santo doesn't come then that would mean we would be losing around half of our budget, as we would have to BUY another striker. Do you know any other alternative if we don't get Di Santo?

[...]

I don't even want to think what would happen if Di Santo fell through. And I am not alone.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread, which has seen the addition of nearly 20 pages during this period. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread, with an interesting shift in topic over the last 24 hours from angst over the Pogrebnyak and Di Santo situations to an undercurrent of anticipation over the potential new signing of Kamel Ghilas of Celta Vigo.

Nicko,

If Crouch goes to Spurs, how will that leave Negredo??

Liverpool would still be favourites there because of the ongoing and increasingly dull Alonso saga...but he is one who would certainly do Rovers.

Nicko, I don't suppose somebody could just quickly list the players who have supposedly been on our radar and what the current situation is with them, could you? I'm completely lost at the moment as to what the hell is going on and it would be appreciated.

I know we've been linked with Negredo, Gignac, Pogrebnyak, Jones, Davies, Gignac, Chamakh, Bent, Crouch, Zigic etc - a lot of players - and yet we still look nowhere near to signing anybody.

NEGREDO...Real using him as a pawn in the Alonso game...could yet become available.

GIGNAC...found that one hard to believe...but you never know.

POGGY...a hot one last weekend...gone a bit cold since.

JONES...depends on Sunderland finding two top strikers who fancy living in Seaham.

DAVIES...totally off the radar now...just signed a new deal at Bolton.

GIGNAC...so good you mentioned him twice.

CHAMAKH...wants Arsenal, Sunderland want him...Rovers spectating.

BENT...always too expensive.

CROUCH...wants to stay down south...Spurs got him cheap.

ZIGIC...seems to want to stay with Valencia...that could change when the games start.

Davies - When was that?

Agreed a new deal at the weekend. Should be in the Mirror today. Not been to get it yet...

Nicko, what you think about Keane - surely its time he moved again? :D

Yes, but he might move again by the end of August if you bought him.

Very strange situation. Why did Spurs take him back? And where is he going to fit in? Isn't he their captain?

Every time you think Spurs might be getting it together there is a stupid little drama building up around the place. Showbiz club.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Were Lpool unable to pay possibly? There was a lot of manoevering with the RB of S at the time.

There is something in that...

No mention of Di Santo in there nicko? Do I remember you saying something about a decision on 28th July or I have made that up?

Di Santo's name wasn't on the list I was asked about.

Today is D-Day with Di Santo...not sure when today...it is fraying my nerves too.

Nicko, do you know who is on the Steve Bruce's toplist? Is he more fond of Bent or Chamakh? I think Spurs are having a lot of strikers as well know: Robbie Keane, Crouch, Bent, Pavluychenko, Defoe. Surely someone has to go.

Bent is his first choice, but he wants Chamakh too. If he gets both that might give Jones the message.

Kamel Ghilas

Rumours abound that Kamel Ghilas of Celta Vigo is coming over to sign today. See Mohelger's post above and this article below (in French).

DZfoot (Algerian Football site), no date

Transferts: Kamel Ghilas pratiquement à Blackburn

thanks to Hughesy for the link

Kelbo provided this link to a google "translation".

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Events over the last 24 hours have moved rather quickly, involving more than a twist or two along the way. In particular, Kamel Ghilas had, according to some sources, already signed and even the Lancashire Telegraph was reporting that a deal was likely to be tied up within the day. Yet by late morning news had emerged, courtesy of the Lancashire Telegraph, that he would not be signed.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Been busy all right...driving a pigging motor.

No idea about these two names that have come up. One is a Portuguese trialist, the other possibly coming in - but maybe has four other destinations.

Interesting to see if either play at Leigh tonight...going to have to go and find out.

Oh, and by the way. The 11 o'clocker will be worthwhile.

Nicko, nothing on this Ghilas chap?

Mixed reports, but have an open mind on that one...

By the way, Jerome Rothen looks like going from PSG to Fiorentina...obviously no mug.

Got to say he has more about him than some being mentioned lately.

We are having an open mind ;)

Have you heard that he is about to sign?

I've got an open mind about whether the deal happens or not because it doesn't fit with anything that has been talked about lately.

Sam keeps going on about signing strikers...and he has two on the boil...then this guy pops up from nowhere. Very odd.

He may be good, bad or indifferent, I don't know. But if he is signing this quick where does it leave the search for a top striker and taking Di Santo on loan?

You would think that if Di Santo and this Algerian player comes in then that's it in terms of our striking options. Where the rest of the cash goes who knows... My money is on Sam keeping it for January, whether its all there come that time we will have to wait and see...

I'd be surprised if any more is spent on the midfield considering the number of players we have in those positions and the fact that Andrews signed a new contract.

My only thought on the Algerian is that he might fit into a 4-3-3...or push Morten as a left winger. Can't see him as a central striker with all of the other moves being made.

And I also thought the money was being kept back for a top striker.

Transfer windows obviously change opinions and plans very fast.

The Early Eleven O'Clocker

Got a bit of telly to catch up on, so this is the 11 o'clocker [well it must be 11 o'clock somewhere].

DI SANTO...the man at Chelsea he say 'yes'...Ancelotti has told Rovers that the lad can come...the only reason for the delay today - my Chelsea mole tells me - is because the kid had a couple of days off...he will be heading north before the weekend...although I confess I will be happy to see him arrive and sign on before popping the champagne corks...think he is worth the fuss.

ALGERIAN...sitting in the stand at Leigh tonight...checked with Bolton, who were linked, and they had never heard of him...still, he's here...if he is a left-sided striker that seems strange as you already have Hoilett and Del Boy coming through and they are both technically new arrivals this summer...never seen a Rovers ressie side with so many flair players but too many similar...and NO midfielders.

TRIALIST...there was another kid in the stand with Khamel...looks like the other trialist who is supposed to be here...the Portuguese-based kid mentioned the other day.

BURNLEY...just for the neighbours...Guerrero bid is in...looking good...£2 million if he does the biz.

Steve Finnan to Portsmouth [40 something and counting], the Croatian due at Pompey tomorrow [how can they afford him?], Spurs in for a Prem centre half [buy the paper for that one], Fulham chasing a centre half too [Mirror is only 45p].

Hope that does you.

The first person to ask if there's an 11 o'clocker between now and then will be soundly thrashed.

TRIALIST...there was another kid in the stand with Khamel...looks like the other trialist who is supposed to be here...the Portuguese-based kid mentioned the other day.

Just checked the picture...the boy in the stand is the chap Sekou Baradji.

It sounds to me like the trialist season has started.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Events over the last 24 hours have moved rather quickly, involving more than a twist or two along the way. In particular, Kamel Ghilas had, according to some sources, already signed and even the Lancashire Telegraph was reporting that a deal was likely to be tied up within the day. Yet by late morning news had emerged, courtesy of the Lancashire Telegraph, that he would not be signed.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

so Nicko do you think we will go for one more striker now. Or will we spend the money we have on central midfield.

Definitely still chasing a 'biggie' - and don't write off the Poggy thing just yet either.

The Lancashire Telegraph reported this morning that Ghilas had agreed personal terms and was set to sign a four-year contract. The article also suggested that Sam would be "more than happy" with his striker options if Di Santo were to arrive on loan as was anticipated.

Lancashire Telegraph, 29 July 2009

Ghilas set for £1.7m deal with Blackburn Rovers

thanks to Kamy100 for the alert

Just an observation.

Sam will be happy with his options when Di Santo checks in.

But he will be over-joyed if he gets a top-line, proven, experienced striker too...

Maybe that last part was missed by the paper.

There is no way you are going into the campaign without landing a 'biggie' - a new striker with a good record.

Anyone who saw Benni and Jason at Leeds will have seen - like the manager obviously has since he arrived - that you need something else and something fresh.

AND ANOTHER THING...SAM WASN'T EVEN QUOTED IN THE ARTICLE...SO CHILL A WEE BIT.

Subsequently, the Lancashire Telegraph brought breaking news of the breakdown of the Ghilas deal.

Lancashire Telegraph, 29 July 2009

Ghilas move to Blackburn Rovers breaks down

thanks to sloth_fratelli for the alert

[...]

Not a major surprise. Didn't see where this guy fitted in.

And Sam usually insists on players like that having a 'test' before they sign...it's an extended trial/medical...in this guy's case it lasted a day.

The player thought he was signing, so somebody has been misled in the deal.

Very strange.

[...]

You already have winger/strikers in Pedersen, Diouf, the new boy Van Heerden, the kid Hoilett and your own Doran.

You almost have too many...the Algerian kid only made sense if someone was leaving.

However the speed of this on-off move makes me think there must have been something wrong with his 'test' on Tuesday.

Of course, we could do with an official explanation...

Nicko do you expect Di Santo to be signed, sealed and delivered tomorrow or Friday? This place needs some cheering up.

I think so. We are in that football twilight zone time at the moment when nothing is ever as it appears...but this one should be straightforward.

ROVERS...want the player on loan...no-brain deal...possible and maybe even probable starter...right good player for nothing but wages.

CHELSEA...love the kid to bits but know he won't play for them and seem to be behaving very well after saying Rovers could have him if Carlo felt that it was the best move.

DI SANTO...promising striker with a reason to look forward to regular Prem action rather than the delights of the ressies...agent works for Chelsea, so will want to keep onside and do what he is told.

I thought there was going to be a loan fee? Has this been scrubbed?

It's not been raised as an issue lately...but there is still time... :mellow:

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Miscellaneous items in the absence of an Eleven O'Clocker

No Rovers news and no need for an 11 o'clocker sadly...you got the updates earlier from various sources.

The Lescott thing is moving, which affects you as you face Man City in the first game. Martins has left Newcastle, but nobody at the club knows where he is going [honest].

Poor old Celtic...Coyley missed a bullet there.

One item of late news...

Ressie keeper Mark Bunn could well be going to Sheff U on loan.

Any news on Cardozo, is he still too pricey but interesting? Do you reckon Benfica is holding out for cash, or just simply trying to keep him?

I am going to take it that he was watched at Wembley last weekend...not heard anything on him since...the price is too high...so he stays in the 'possibly maybe' category.

Di Santo

[...]

Ancelotti has said yes...

[...]

The Chelsea players were given a couple of days off after the American trip.

Di Santo and Ancelotti will go through the Rovers loan move - probably tomorrow when they come back in together - and the player will be told why Chelsea think he should go on loan but is still part of their plans when he comes back.

I don't expect any messing around, but you can never be sure until a deal is done.

The only doubt in my mind is that Franco might not fancy Sam's hoofball. Probably doesn't fit in with the sexy football that Chelsea play - and he wants to associate himself with.

I don't think Di Santo will be given the option...and, to be fair, there is no reason to think Rovers will necessarily be playing hoofball next season.

The fact that 4-4-2 is being used in pre-season tells me there may be a change of policy.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Di Santo and a bid for an unnamed striker

Lancashire Telegraph, 30 July 2009

Blackburn Rovers wait on Di Santo and unknown striker

thanks to Hughesy for the link

Di Santo to have talks with Ancelotti today after Chelsea accepted the loan move.

Di Santo expected to decide today

Also - WE HAVE made a bid for an un-named striker yesterday afternoon, any ideas nicko?

Article here

I take it this is from the local paper...the first two bits sound awfully familiar.

The 'bid' is surely for Poggy. Put in a low but sensible offer and see whether the Russians really want £9 million or will take much less.

Got to say I haven't heard of anyone else bidding for the fella.

Of course the 'bid' story from the club could just be a line to get all of the other selling clubs - Valencia, Real Madrid, Bordeaux and Benfica to name a few - sitting up and taking notice.

It happens.

Pavel Pogrebnyak

No news about Pogrebnyak means it could still well happen, nicko? One of your sources would confirm it was dead if that was the case, yes? :)

I think all of the possibles are still possibles while the search goes on...some of the targets need to be cheaper, others need to be keen to come.

You have not found the perfect one just yet. But you have money, so there is still hope and a bit of time.

Daily Mail: Pavel Pogrebnyak is set to reject Blackburn Rovers' overtures by joining Stuttgart in an £8.5m deal worth £50,000 a week for four years. He is likely to leave but is also considering Zenit's extension offer.

No doubt from the agent trying to take him to Rovers and starting to worry that it's not happening...

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Dionatan Nascimento

Sky are linking us with a move for a 17 year-old Brazilian centre half

[...]

This lad has been at Newcastle on trial and was due to join Man City recently.

Hmmm.

A Brazilian playing for a Slovakian club.

All the best with that one.

Sky Sports, 30 July 2009

Rovers eye Brazilian: Blackburn move for young defender

"Blackburn are lining up a deal for MFK Kosice starlet Dionatan Nascimento, skysports.com understands."

thanks to Somerset Rover! for the alert and to seamless for the link

By the way I hear this Brazilian kid may be rather good.

My mate at Newcastle, where he spent some time on trial, says he is 'very decent.'

Going to have to take this one a bit more seriously...

If Newcastle rejected him he must be risky or not at a high enough level (at the time, mind you, he's still young now).

Or they thought he was too good for their defence. :lol:

To be fair, Newcastle didn't reject him...it just drifted by.

And that is from a member of Toon staff.

Luis Garcia

Mundo Deportivo, 30 July 2009

Luis García está negociando con el Blackburn Rovers

[Luis García is negotiating with Blackburn Rovers]

thanks to alexanders for the link

Why would anyone want Luis Garcia when you have just signed Van Heerden and 'signed' Hoilett?

Backroom staff

I hear you have lined up a new first-team coach.

No idea who at this stage.

The word is Sbragia didn't come because the contract offer wasn't very good, incidentally.

Nicko is the new coach coming in going to be the new assistant letting McDonald take a step back or is he coming in to be first team coach?

I think the new guy would be 'number three' as McDonald is highly-rated among the players and was Sam's appointment...

Rovers' playing style

Perhaps the main topic of discussion on the thread during the last 24 hours was about the style of football that Rovers would be playing this coming season under Sam. Here's nicko's take on the subject:

[...]

I have been at both the first team and reserve team matches this week.

Both sides used a 4-4-2 system and tried to play football.

Got to say, I don't know if you were at either, but sometimes it pays to do a wee bit of research and see what is going on.

Bear in mind that Di Santo would probably only be able to play in a 4-4-2 system and Rovers are actively chasing another striker.

Sam had to play a certain way last season to survive. Perhaps he realises that he needs to be more expansive. Perhaps he has been advised to...

This is starting from the new thread page 1 to page 9

Di Santo

Ancelotti told Rovers he was clear to join on loan...it's just about sorting it out with the player...relax.

From what I hear all of the effort right now is on the 'biggie' striker, so the club seems quite comfortable with Di Santo being on his way.

As for the 'biggie'...I have spent all day chasing something...and am just waiting on word.

Not holding anything back, just want to confirm something another club told me about a possible, late name in the frame.

No guessing, no PMs.

The Biggie

I have cracked it I think.

Because the site is now monitored by people who will put the tale out I am going to have to sit on this until the paper comes out.

I will answer questions then.

Got to say it sounds like a good signing even if it has come out of a clear blue sky.

And for the Burnley boys...Guerrero - he's a-coming.

No, think this is a case of the wizened old hack chasing it down while the opposition snooze...and I don't want to do anyone's job on this one...for a change. ;)

It's all happened in a rush.

I got the shout from a Portsmouth mole on Tuesday night that Blackburn were trying to hijack the deal, but I thought it was agent talk at first. So I left it alone and didn't mention it here.

Then I found out who had taken him away from Pompey and started to get interested, but then my info was that Wigan was his destination and not Blackburn.

Checked that out at Wigan and my guy there said 'no, it's Blackburn.'

A few calls round the hotels last night confirmed he was here...and talking.

Pompey deal fell through because they didn't have the money for the first installment.

The deal is relatively cheap and Hajduk want the cash. But there is no room for messing as they want him back today if the thing is not tied up.

So I would say this one is in the final furlong, but not past the line until it is all signed.

And well done to the Mirror for crashing it into the paper quite late on.

Good day all round. The old dog has not lost his bite, eh.

Kalinic is a new one on the radar which is what the 'clear blue sky' line was about...but also a small hint about Portsmouth [too subtle obviously].

I have got to say there is bound to have been some research on him, but he wasn't really top of any list until the Pompey thing started to move.

Once clubs find out that a player is coming in - and quite cheaply - they tend to react. There is nothing to be beat jealousy in football.

I don't know much about the kid, but his CV is good and he is an international in a decent side. He is young, the price is right, the wages won't kill anyone...so it's got a lot going for it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Di Santo more because I know more about him. But Kalinic could be the business too.

And because the price is sensible it should leave scope for a midfielder...but that's another story.

Anyway, it's not done, signed and sealed yet...so see what the day brings.

*I have no idea where the Sun [which wasted it] or the local paper got it from, although I have my suspicions...I prefer to get my own stuff. ;)

Portsmouth have been on this one for over a week, which has allowed other clubs to come in...Porto want him too, by the way.

The deal was finally agreed with them of £4 million guaranteed and up to £2 million in extras. But they could not find the cash.

That club is in massive trouble.

Good spot...tired eyes at this end. 'Not' should be in there and has now been corrected.

Sam usually asks his targets to do a 'test' - both physical and mental - before they sign...

Not sure if that will be applied in this case, have to watch that one.

Asking if it's the same deal as pompey's original

That was the Pompey deal, Rovers may try to rejig it. That's the normal negotiation thing.

I can't see wages being a problem.

Guest Wen Y Hu

As indicated last night in a separate thread (The Nicko Digests for August), I'll be taking a break from contributing to the nicko digests. Anybody wishing to help out should see that thread for information and further discussion.

No comments or discussion here, please. Many thanks.

From page 9 - 12 of nicko's thread.

Kalinic and work permit problems

Kalinic would definitely be a work permit appeal job, but they can be quite quick - especially with a new season to come. Another reason why this needs to be decided pretty fast.

Di Santo has an EC passport.

Reason we pull out of Ghilas's deal

Kamel story is very strange...the 'official' reason given as failing a medical...his club saying Rovers tried to reduce the price...not sure that the whole truth is out here.

The Croat just came out of nowhere on Tuesday night. But that's what happens in transfer windows.

I believe there will be a decision on Kalinic in the next few hours.

Whoops...just guaranteed a few requests for a running commentary on this one... :lol:

Pompey and their supposed Revived interest in Kalinic

Portsmouth have probably realised that the lad is up at Blackburn...their fears were confirmed.

I can't see where they will find the money from.

Just checked the SSN story is not right...Portsmouth know they can't get back into the race...sounds like someone has got a wrong story or possible the player's club are trying to keep the price up and an 'auction' going.

It happens.

Di Santo and the plan of him coming in today.

I know that is the plan...will be happy when he actually checks in all the same.

Supposed Bolton and Wigan interest in Kalinic

No, he is talking to Rovers and has been since yesterday.

From page 12- 20 of nicko's thread

Kalinic

I believe the player has been at the training ground today...if terms have been agreed with the club and the player he would head off for a medical...if not he will be catching the late flight to Split with his tail between his legs and the 'board' going into meltdown.

Bunn and Fielding

Bunn is training at Sheff U...Derby diterhing over Fielding...Gunning will join Stockport on loan once their 'embargo' is lifted by the Football League...

Di Santo and Kalinic

KALINIC...looking good...not done yet...player wants to come and is still here...just some juggling of the figures and fees to be sorted out...one note of caution...Porto ARE keen and want to do a deal...but the player prefers to come to England.

DI SANTO...strange one...Chelsea have agreed the loan, the player is happy to come but he has not arrived...the comment earlier about him asking for the weekend to spend in London before moving may be the reason for the delay...think this is going to happen but starting to wonder if Chelsea are going to ask for a loan fee and are trying to make Rovers sweat...they behaved oddly at the death in a deal with a pal of mine last season...but what can you do?...it's a favour after all.

No other news, although I think a couple of clubs are watching Gally. More on that when it becomes concrete.

Delay on Di Santo

It's mutual. He is probably worth more to Rovers than Chelsea next season, mind you...or at least that's the hope.

Let's see how this pans out over the next 24 hours. No reason to worry, but I suspect there are some small-print issues...

If the Chelsea football people are happy, the player is happy and Rovers are happy the only hold-up has to be between the money men about something.

I don't think it matters...I believe both will be done over the next 24 hours.

Kalanic has come up so quickly - and will take a bit of negotiating - so that has occupied the 'high-ups' for the last 24 hours-plus.

Di Santo is just assumed to be going ahead, so if there is some fine-tuning that may have been put on the backburner while Kalinic is done.

It will still be interesting to see if Sam is at Sheff Wed tomorrow or is off on his travels again. I heard he was going away again, but if these two are all but done then there might not be a need.

New Midfielder

I believe the hunt has started for a midfielder, mainly because the feeling is that these two strikers are coming in.

The profile is basically to find the 'new Tugay.'

Garcia would surprise me, but things happen fast in August...or even late July in the case of Kalinic who was nowhere near the list just a week ago.

BBC news-shorts:

Portsmouth have not given up hope of signing Hajduk Split striker Nikola Kalinic despite talks breaking down this week when Pompey insisted on paying the fee over six years. The 21-year-old is now talking to Porto.

Full story: The Sun

However Blackburn are trying to hijack Porto's attempts to sign Kalinic, and are rushing through a £6m offer. (Daily Mirror)

It appears there has been an edit on the Sun story as it now no longer mentions Kalinic talking to Porto and only says Paul Hart remains hopeful of beating Blackburn to the player. The Mirror story is Nicko's (link ablove) and he focuses on Rovers hijacking Pompey's interest. Perhaps the BBC are confusing Portsmouth with Porto- easily done!

Here's an odd one from two days ago I don't remember seeing before- Anon Mirror report says we have offered Nascimento a three year contract.

Local paper thinks its a done deal...................

Birmingham Mail

It is believed Villa are close to sealing a deal for Blackburn’s versatile left-back Stephen Warnock.

The only stumbling block with regards to the 27-year-old former Coventry and Liverpool player is Sam Allardyce’s insistence on finding a replacement first.

From page 20-24 of Nicko's thread.

Today's Game against Sheff Wed.

Pretty sure the manager will be at Sheff Wed today...no foreign trips...no idea if that is significant or not.

On Kalinic and people thinking he was a panic buy... Also on potential buy Lucas Biglia

Kalinic would have been watched, but he wasn't near the top of any list. Rovers only reacted when the Portsmouth thing looked close. Pompey were trying to do that for a week - it was in the papers - and Rovers came in when it was breaking down.

Sometimes these things work out like that.

No idea about Biglia. I seem to recall he is looked after by the agent Barry McIntosh who was close to the last Rovers regime but may not be so tight with the present one.

Kalinic is not done yet...no word on Vastic, got to say I have been concentrating on the strikers for the big team.

On the news story of warnock to villa

A round-up of old news stories.

Today's team against Sheff Wed.

Just seen that team...sounds like MGP may be getting the treatment here...watch that space.

P.S can someone please P.M me a way that i can put qoutes inside qoutes as currently i am not able to do this so i have to explain to people what Nicko is talking about. It would be easier if they can see the post of what nicko is replying to.

Cheers.

From pages 24-33 in Nicko's thread.

Poggy

Poggy fee to Stuttgart is just £4 million...that is interesting to say the very least.

Kalinic

Kalinic price has been agreed...contract terms agreed...medical done...now pending a work permit...hearing on Thursday...will be a struggle but should get it on appeal.

And before you ask Burnley were bongo...but Coyley knows it.

Kalinic price and Di Santo arriving tomorrow

£6 million is total figure, will be less up front plus extras to that figure.

I have to presume so...but no official word from Chelsea about when he travels...yet.

Work Permit for Kalinic

No, it's an agreement pending the permit. If that fails it's all over obviously.

Can Kalinic train with us?

Good question. I think he can if he wants. But he had better not get hurt...

Work Permit process for Kalinic

You have to present the contract for the player and agree a deal with the club. Realistically you can only do that once the deal is agreed by all sides.

On the faceof it Kalinic does not qualify - only three caps in the last year or so is not enough. However he can make a case for being an 'emerging' player or that he was injured.

You got Hoilett in with absolutely no caps or qualifications, so this should be ok. But it is never done until it's done.

Civelli

An old target seems to have priced himself out of moves to Blackburn and Everton and is now currently hawking himself around...this one for the French speakers...

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...-le-hertha.html

Potential other signings and coaches.

No to the coach...and not sure on the midfielder yet...if Kalinic is completed and Di Santo arrives the club should know exactly what they have left to spend on that very important player.

Let's say Kalinic is £4 million up front and on £30,000-a-week for the next season...that is £5.5 million gone. Di Santo should be wages only which is around £500,000 gone.

So that should leave about £6 to £7 million for a midfielder, including up front fee and wages for the first year. Narrows the field a bit, but that is the reality.

Hopefully you can then afford to land something better than a Newcastle United cast-off like Smith or Nolan.

Warnock and Aston Villa

Villa have been mentioned with O'Neill for so long that it's not new...until he makes his mind up and makes a proper bid I don't see it is being relevant.

At the start of the window I thought Warnock would be sold, but Roque's sale took the pressure right off.

There is no need to bring in money now and now reason to sell him, although fitting all of your left-sided players in may be a bit of a task...strange to see him on the left of midfield yesterday...

To be honest I think Givet was bought because the feeling was Warnock would pay for him and leave a bit for the budget.

Man City signing Roque changed the whole equation. Interesting to see he is crocked again. Major result getting rid of him for big cash.

New Midfielder and Potential new young brazilian right back

Guerrero was with Real Madrid for about six or seven years and got citizenship in the process.

No idea about the young Brazilian who is due to come to Rovers...I can only take it he has a Portuguese passport. Even less idea what he was doing in Slovakia...

More of a midfield passer than a box-to-boxer...a 'new Tugay' is the description on the Wanted poster.

Archived