BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today.

Note that nicko was not active on the thread during this period. Having attended the funeral of Denise Hendry earlier in the day yesterday, he has posted only briefly in the Colin Hendry thread.

On the transfer topic thread itself, the main point of interest is that Chamakh is being reported to be considering a switch to Sunderland or the Rovers (see post above for link).

That's all for today, thanks.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was only active on the thread during this period for the posting of the eleven o'clocker yesterday evening. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

The Eleven O'Clocker

Not the most newsy day.

The club after Fielding is Derby County...could well happen.

No latest on the star striker signing. But as key employees are abroad that is no surprise.

[...]

Christian Vieri

Heard Vieri was NOT with the Rovers squad in Croatia and that Sam wont be taking it further.................

According to Channel4.com, Vieri "has apparently ended his trial run with Blackburn Rovers ahead of time, walking out on the club". Thanks to John for the link:

Vieri bails on Blackburn

Marouane Chamakh

The News of the World report that Arsenal are about to bid for Chamakh as a replacement for Adebayor. Thanks to dingles staying down 4ever for the link:

Arsenal in for £10m Marouane Chamakh

Senijad Ibricic

Ibricic is the first of two new names today. Note that the link is the Wikipedia entry for Ibricic. Thanks to unleaded for the news.

Ibricic the scorer is one of the players being tracked by Rovers even before this game..................Rovers scouts watched him in action for his national team (Bosnia)...............Robinson must have nightmares about Croatia!..............

Ibricic Scouted By Rovers

Armando Mance

The second of the new names is the young Croatian striker Mance, who is reportedly coming to the Rovers for a trial. This is according to HNS Latest, an independent site that covers Croatian football news. Thanks to John for the link:

U-17 striker Armando Mance on trial at Blackburn

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

The Eleven O'Clocker

No stunning news.

However a member of Rovers management staff has told a mate of mine they have gone off the Alan Smith idea.

All cheer heartily...

There doesn't seem to be any progress on Zigic, probably because the price is too high just now and a key negotiator isn't around.

Sunderland still want Crouch who is asking for silly money, so they won't be letting Jones go in a hurry.

I believe Spurs ARE signing the two Kyles, which is a strange end to an odd saga. Sounds like Levy is on a youth drive again - and Harry might not be too happy about that. They also want Delph.

Got to say it's becoming a dull window.

Who's the key negotiator? Nicko, who is it that is getting Negredo and the truth about Vieiri please?

Pass on the first question.

Negredo and Tottenham does seem favourite despite Harry's denials.

Vieri was simply too overweight...and [don't laugh] the word is he wants to concentrate on a career in poker.

Too bizarre for words.

My only thought just now is that Di Santo looks like a great signing...but if he doesn't come you could be knackered.

Do you think that will happen, Nicko? He played really well yesterday and I have a sneaky suspicion that Ancelotti will want to keep him

The deal should happen, but I dread to think what happens if Chelsea do a U-turn on it. Finding one new striker is hard, finding two well-nigh impossible.

Lancashire Telegraph, 20 July 2009

Door not closed at Blackburn Rovers for Vieri

Sam has not ruled out the possibility of squeezing Vieri through the double doors to join up with the squad at Brockhall.

Lancashire Telegraph, 20 July 2009

Blackburn Rovers target Moroccan striker

The LT quotes Sam as saying that he has had difficulty in attracting a striker with Premier League experience within budget and that things should start to move on that front from Tuesday on. The rest of the article focusses on Marouane Chamakh.

Marouane Chamakh

LET: Rovers target Moroccan

"Chamakh is not a prolific goal scorer but his ability to hold the ball up and dominate aerially would tick a lot of boxes in Allardyce’s search for Roque Santa Cruz’s replacement.

He has made 50 international appearances, scoring 50 goals, and has revealed he would be interested in a switch to Ewood Park."

I'd say that was pretty prolific ;) Great typo! Should be 15.

Re Chamakh http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2009...tre-ecoute.html Says he's got a meeting with his bosses today and he is determined to come to the Premier league. Doesn't think it will be with Arsenal (who according to other reports prefer Gignac). His bosses are doing all they can to persuade him that he'd be better playing Champions league with Bordeaux than at a lower level in England but that doesn't bother him. He doesn't want to go to Canada with Bordeaux; he wants to go to England. It's his first transfer and he didn't think it'd be this much of a problem. He's losing sleep over it.

Report in the LET is based on what he said the other day. The one i've linked to today is more recent. in it he says he could go to Fulham, Spurs us or Sunderland. I've seen a photo of him scoring at the end of the season where he has an absolutely fantastic leap, towering over the keeper. could be what we are looking for.

Nicko?

Have you been in contact with your French sources about Chamakh and may shed any light on this situation?

Chamakh is a strange one. He has the Champions League to look forward to and yet is flirting with any club going. I thought Arsenal were favourites, but if not then he would be one who has a lot of appeal. Rovers did watch him last season, but it puzzled me at the time...maybe they had some inside info he would leave?

Very strange, but a good option if he is actually available and interested and not just chasing a new contract.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Aruna Dindane

The Times, 20 July 2009

Window Watch

"Stoke City face competition from Blackburn Rovers for Aruna Dindane, although neither have made an official offer for the Lens striker, who would cost about £4 million."

thanks to John for the link

Armando Mance

The People, 19 July 2009

Sam looking at Mance

"The 17-year-old, who plays for Rijeka, will be closely watched by Allardyce during the next week before making a decision."

thanks to alexanders for the heads-up on the story

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Arsenal admitting they want Chamakh tells me they are clear favourites...the boy himself has been rambling about other clubs, but if the Gunners come in then he will go there...that's just the way it is.

Yes, it's quiet - but that's because so many clubs are away and playing friendlies.

And yes I've been quiet because something has come up that needs a bit of attention.

No point gibbering on just now when we know that the manager has his targets and is waiting for them to be available to him at the right overall price.

Evening Nicko

Do you think we could be looking at Pompey for some bargins?

Client of mine who is Pompey STH says this take over is now worring them as they owe loads of money to a couple of creditors that are getting itchy for their money, guessing one is the Vat/Taxman.

I don't think there is anything left to take...

Portsmouth have some big bills coming up, so the takeover had better happen.

Shambles all round.

The Eleven O'Clocker

Not an 11 o'clocker as such. A bit short of bongs...

CROUCH - not keen on Sunderland, so that does not help the Jones option.

ZAMORA - not keen on Hull, so where does Crouch end up if Fulham don't have the dosh?

This is one of those markets when players don't seem to be interested in the moves that would get the thing going.

Sunderland have cash but nobody wants to go there. They are chasing a midfielder - buy the paper for that one.

Hull are becoming desperate, so anything could happen there.

Rovers need to get lucky with their top target...a lot is riding on this. It's the difference between struggle and safety. That simple.

So where does that leave Crouch then?

He doesn't want Sunderland

Fulham short of cash

spuds no bid (at least yet!)

Villa - been there done that

Is it just his wages that would stop us from bidding?

Crouch wanted 90 grand a week off Sunderland, it was his way of saying 'that's what it would take to move me and the missus up here.'

Avoid him like the plague.

I still understand that Zigic is the current number one target...for all of the '15 clubs want him' trash nobody else seems to be bidding. If the fee becomes sensible that might happen.

Jones looks difficult as Sunderland can't bring anyone in.

There are other options, but all are too dear right now.

Hi Nicko

So Crouchy's missus didn't fancy the NE and £90k a week so where does that leave him, Fulham, spuds or even a stay at Pompey now they have been taken over?

Does that mean Sunderland will be back in for Bent again?

And more importantly when are we going to sign a goal machine? :lol:

Fulham need to move out Zamora who doesn't seem to fancy the delights of Humberside.

Spurs would only afford him if they had a player or two to throw into the deal...and he won't be getting the big wages there either.

The big lad may have done himself in here.

Sunderland will probably go back for Bent, but now Levy has them over a barrel...and the player will know what Crouch was getting. Ouch.

All of which does little for Rovers and their striker search. Sunderland would need TWO new signings before Jones became available. I don't consider Campbell in the 'first team starter' bracket for now.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Seriosly though Nicko?

Don't you fancy our chances of getting Chamakh?

Especially if Sunderland goes after Bent?

I think Chamakh will go to Arsenal...and so does another club in the race for him... ;)

The completion of Pompey's takeover can't exactly help us either can it, regardless of what happens with Crouch I would expect them to be after a striker.

The takeover won't bring riches. Think Pompey are one club who will finish below you and your neighbours next season.

Chasing Steve Finnan to replace Glen Johnson. Need I say more.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Marouane Chamakh

Soccernet pick up on the L'Equipe story from the other day:

Soccernet, 22 July 2009

Chamakh: Sunderland talks at an advanced stage

"In-demand Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh has revealed he is in advanced talks with Sunderland."

thanks to Miker for the link

[...]

Just spotted this. My French is O level standard but I think he is saying he wants out and fancies a new challenge...flirting with both Arsenal and Sunderland.

No mention of Rovers. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Probably confirms you are non-runners.

Anyway, digest and enjoy.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...urs-partir.html

Chamakh's boss thinks he will go to a club 'big enough' for him and rules out Sunderland...still no mention of Rovers. Think it is cash-plus-Silvestre from Arsenal for Chamakh if you read between the lines.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...sunderland.html

In reality it should have nothing to do with his manager who his next club might be, especially as they're not even playing in the same league so there's no issue about strengthening a rival.

But his manager wants a player out of the deal with Arsenal - Silvestre - so that's why he wants that move to happen.

Di Santo

What a load of tosh that is...Di Santo ISN'T vulnerable...they see him as a long-term first team player...that is why they are taking care about finding him the right home where he can develop.

If he WAS vulnerable he would have been gone by now. There is a queue for him round the block.

[...]

M'Bami and M'Bia

nicko,

any news on m'bami or m'bia (ive spelt them wrong im sure) but did you not say one might be a preseason trial?

cheers....

I believe M'Bami is going to Turkey...M'Bia signed for Marseille after having a medical at Stoke.

M'Bami and Pancrate played for Portsmouth on trial last night...just for your info. M'Bami was on the Rovers radar but is still looking for a home, Pancrate was shown the door by the Claret and Blue Brazilians.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Outgoings - Zurab and Rigters

Nicko - you heard anything about any more outgoings - i.e. Zurab, Rigters etc?!

Zurab is an odd one, seems to have missed the boat. I notice Rigters is now sub for the reserves...are they trying to tell the lad something?

Today's news:

Southend United Official Site, 22 July 2009

Blackburn Striker On Trial

"Southend United will trial Blackburn Rovers striker Maceo Rigters against Ipswich Town this evening."

thanks to alexanders for the link

Ricky Sbragia

Sunderland AFC Official Site, 22 July 2009

Sbragia Heads Up Scouting Team

"Sunderland have confirmed that Ricky Sbragia has been appointed as the club's chief scout."

thanks to novella for the link

See also Soccernet's report on the appointment:

Soccernet, 22 July 2009

Sbragia accepts chief scout post at Sunderland

Alharbi El-Jadeyaoui

The brief report in L'Equipe states that the 22-year-old left-sided attacking midfielder El-Jadeyaoui, who was previously on trial at the Rovers, has signed a 4-year contract with French Cup holders Guingamp.

Not sure this one was ever on in the first place, but it certainly isn't on now.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...a-guingamp.html

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Miscellaneous Musings

I know someone else asked it earlier, but no news on any back-room staff additions? Also, reporter on SSN was saying Lita will move soon, any idea where?

All quite boring at the moment!!

No word on staff arrivals, but that could change soon...in fact, it has to.

Lita is looking for a club, which tells its own story. I did hear of one today, but they are in the Championship and even they are not sure about him.

[..]

Have the Shikabala and Van der Merde :P links gone quiet?

I am not sure Shikabala is fit - didn't he miss the Confederations Cup.

Van der Meyde was training in Austria last week, maybe he went out for a few burgers with Christian Vieri and never came back. Will check.

Nicko, how come Portsmouth don't appear to have much money considering their new owner is meant to be loaded?

Would this mean more of their better players (excluding Mokoena) are available such as Kranjcar? I wouldn't mind seeing a creative player like him at Blackburn.

It's a very good question...I believe his idea is to run the club on the cheap...so their better players will want to leave.

Nicko, you think their is any chance of us holding out to Jan, with benni, jr, gally, diouf, plus di santo?...

I hope not.

There is money to spend and a desire to spend it...but on the right striker.

Got to say we are moving from the Patience time zone to the Panic time zone.

Also-Rans

Nicko any news on jonas guitierez at newcastle? Out of all their players he is the only one worth having imo. 2 good full, plenty on running and can take on people, given a good manager and a decent side around him i think he could be a star.

Roma want him, but it would have to be a buy - Newcastle won't let anyone go on loan at the moment.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

How good a player is Chamakh. Seems a lot of clubs interested in him but i can't say i've seen much of him before

I haven't seen enough to judge but any time I catch highlights he looks like a fiery type who gets stuck in, scores goals with head and feet and would probably do well over here.

Trouble is there are so few top strikers available right now that his price has gone through the roof and there is a queue for him by the looks of it.

If Wenger really does rate him then the chances are he is good.

[...]

The most significant close season signings Rovers have made over the last few years have been..

Robinson 25th July

Santa Cruz 28th July

McCarthy 28th July

Bellamy 08th July

Pedersen 27th August

(Soccerbase)

I think we have a week before the lack of a striker becomes a real concern.

[...]

Those dates are very revealing and interesting...

Especially as most of those deals were actually teed up at least a week in advance, so really Rovers need to know who they want now never mind actually sign them.

If Di Santo is done in the next few days - and there isn't any reason why it shouldn't be - then that would at least mean one striker in.

I'm sure Whinger once said "David Dunn is one of the most creative midfielders in the premiership". Although I do rate Dunny when he's fit, he's certainly not one that I would put in the "most creative" bracket. :huh:

Not seen enough of Chamakh to think that he would definately do the business. Whinger does have fantastic judgement, but I'm not sure he's right all the time!!!

Someone is going to have to take a punt on one of these strikers sharpish to get the ball rolling though!!!

I agree that Wenger isn't always right in the transfer market, but he knows the French scene well and is usually sound in that department.

After all he has just marked up around £15 million profit on Adebayor, a player other clubs wouldn't touch - including West Ham who could have had him first.

Nicko, is Tuncay/Martins gonna be playing in the championship next year? Are we interested in them?

Tuncay is on a fortune and Boro still want a big fee...I still see him going, but that may drag on yet.

I found out Martins's wages last week and you would collapse if you knew. How Newcastle intend to pay that is beyond me. And the clowns also want £10 million for him.

Sometimes you get what you deserve in life...

Go on Nicko, how much is Martins on?

My guess in something ridiculous like £90,000 a week.

£95,000-a-week next season...

Wouldn't get out of bed for it myself. :o

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

What's the latest with Di Santo nicko, is Ancelotti still deciding or is it just a case of doing the paperwork now, he's had a couple of weeks to look at him.

The lad stays on tour with Chelsea until the 27th [i think] and I would be disappointed if he does not head to Rovers soon after. Will be happier when he has arrived, but that is how it stands.

I wonder if Sam has given our scouts a rocket re the targets he has had to look at??

Hence the Whitbread departure!!

I do know Sam said all the targets that had been listed were the ones under Inces tenure!

So Sams real targets werent there to look at.

Maybe that will change now!!

That's a bit unfair.

Remember Sam went in for Janko in January - he was the first player he asked about when Roque was close to going. And that was an Ince target from the previous summer.

Narrow escape by the sound of it.

And the first Rovers target this summer was Kevin Davies, who Sam didn't need anyone to tell him about.

Zigic has been on the radar for months, Jones may come on the radar depending on other factors.

Nobody is signing strikers just now because they are in short supply.

Mind you that chap Fletcher looks quite good down the road. ;)

Nicko

We all know Sam's focus is only the striker search but out of interest what do you think of our central midfield options?

Cheers dude

Needs improving. Badly.

If I had said Keith Andrews was worth a four-year contract this time last summer I would have been shot...how times change.

Too many of your midfielders have question marks over them. You could do with two new ones. If Andrews stays and you are not selling him that puzzles the life out of me.

[...]

There's no late news tonight. No major news and too many people are at the Keith Andrews contract re-signing street parties.

But I have just heard a really odd one...sadly too late for the paper...so it will have to keep hopefully 24 hours.

One of your lads is going out on loan...shock one.

Tonight's or tomorrow's star prize to the person who gets the name and the club. Just a bit of fun.

Keith Tracey to Sheffield United - On loan for 6 months. Is it true they've agreed a fee if he impresses as well Nicko?

Tonight's star prize.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 4

[...]

Awesome - TREACY OUT - Another great piece of business.

Why is that a suprise loan Nicko?

Well, it was a surprise to me...

Treacy was being pushed for a first team place at the end of last season and in pre-season, now he has gone.

So Pedersen doesn't have any competition or maybe Hoilett is earmarked for that role.

Never been sure about Treacy myself, but it still struck me as shock that he was being allowed out on loan. Your squad is small enough as it is.

Wonder if it's a swap for Gary Speed?

What have you heard about speed? Done all his badges hasnt he, not a bad shout....

I was just thinking out loud...but when you let a fringe man go on loan like that it does make you wonder if there is something else behind it.

After you got Danny Simpson in a swap for Eric Steele anything is possible?

If David Fevre goes to Man City could you maybe ask for Bellamy back?

:lol:

Anything new happened with Fevre?

Anything in Onuha (sp?) from City going to Everton?

At least clubs now know Everton have £9m ready to spend after they missed out on 2 targets.

Onuoha and City may have some legs if the Lescott thing happens...which probably will happen.

Everton seem to find it very hard to spend money. The Naughton thing is a big surprise.

The Greek right back Seitaridis - often mentioned round here - claims to be signing for Cologne. He is a free agent. But you have Jacobsen now...so he is probably way off the radar.

Nicko - heard of any more outgoings? What happened to maybe Brown moving on?!

I know he would like to go and play somewhere, but nobody has come in yet. Still waiting on Derby doing the Fielding deal too.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #4 of 4

Nicko,

with us stating today that we are out of the Chamakh question and Blanc saying that Sunderland isn't big enough for him - do you still think we will have any chance?

I guess we say we are not in the running to let them know we are interested???

I am not sure Rovers have ever really been in the running for Chamakh. He doesn't fit the profile of what Sam has been after and it was only a throw-away line from him that pumped up the story.

If he wants to move to play at the top level it will be Arsenal, if he wants to move for a good few quid it will be Sunderland. I don't see what motivation he has to come to Rovers.

Nicko,

Are Rovers still interested in Oscar Cardozo??

not been mentioned for a while!!

I think he will be on the list for as long as there is a vacancy...but he will stay on the list until the price comes down drastically.

what price is he Nicko and is there a queue for him at present ?

The last figure quoted was around £10 million which is a bit over the top. Nobody seems to be biting. So it will surely come down.

Cardozo is like Chamakh and Negredo, three admired strikers who will probably get their moves once the whole package is right.

The same goes for Crouch and Bent over here.

You can see transfer chains forming all over the place.

Like...Crouch to Spurs if Bent leaves...Or Crouch to Fulham if Zamora goes to Hull...Jones out if Bent [and Chamakh or AN Other] go to Sunderland.

Nicko, do you have any idea how involved Doran and Judge are going to be next year? Doran looked useful at the end of last season and Judge got glowing reports from his loan at Plymouth. Are they seen as first teamers, fringe players or not quite up to the grade?

Doran seems to be ahead of Judge at the moment, but the pre-season games should be a better guide. I have to say neither look physically ready for the Premier League just yet. But if you don't sign any midfielders they are going to be awful close to playing...

Major development with Crouch...not involving yourselves...going to be busy on this one for a bit.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

There are quite a few snippets about other Premier League movements and rumours that are not included in this digest, so please see the main transfer thread itself for details.

[...]

It's been a very odd day, some of the stupidest rumours ever to waste a lot of time over...but there is an explanation on the Crouch drama.

Crouch changed his mind and said he would sign for Sunderland this morning.

Then by lunchtime he changed it again and said no.

Someone - you provide the name - rang him to say they would also bid for him and not to go.

A couple of hours later Harry Redknapp went on TV to say how much he rates him but he would be too expensive.

Hilarious. The game gets funnier when you hear some of the nonsense that goes on.

No Rovers news...apart from Treacy to Sheff U which will happen.

How did that one keep for 24 hours? I thought we were being watched. Almost disappointed.

Just checked with McCormack's agent. He hasn't asked away yet and isn't going to Celtic. Rovers have to have better players than him on the short list.

Is it Wenger, that told Crouch not to go to Sunderland, Nicko? NO

Also, is it true what someone said earlier that Ancelotti wants to now keep Di Santo at Chelsea as back up to Drogba, Anelka and Sturridge? NO

Another thing Nicko, is it true that Santa Cruz and Teves may miss the first game of the season? NO IDEA, IT'S JULY...

CROUCH...turned down Sunderland again because he is waiting for Tottenham...can't see Liverpool wanting him...can't see Arsenal doing it either.

SPURS...will only get the cash for Crouch if they sell Bent.

So we are like a dog chasing its tail. Or rather watching a dog chasing its tail. Because unless two strikers go to Sunderland there is no chance of Jones becoming available.

So Nicko, is Kenwyne Jones our No.1 target at the moment? Is that why everything's gone quiet?

I think Zigic is number one, but if Jones becomes available and is cheaper that could change.

[...]

Thanks. Do you know approx how much Valencia want for Zigic?

Too much.

I didn't enjoy reading that interview with zigic. and I don't mean because of the bad translation... seems like the lad is planning to stay.

hopefully they give him the boot and he changes his mind.

valencia did crap last year didn't they? I mean, even if he stays he won't have any european cups on the fixture list? (like us)

I would have to say that he is not exactly breaking down the door to get away.

I wonder if Kevin Davies's name came up now - for the first time - whether there would be the same hysterical reaction against him.

Or people would slowly realise that he ticks more boxes than anyone else.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

There are quite a few snippets about other Premier League movements and rumours that are not included in this digest, so please see the main transfer thread itself for details.

I totaly agree, but not for 10 million. I would still not be surprised if he came..........must be better than Alan Smith!

The point is - and was - that Davies had an awful lot going for him at the £5 million mark. Obviously any more would be silly.

However there are so few good players within the price range right now that he was the stand-out candidate.

All of the fanciful alternatives have come and gone.

So now you either have to over-pay on fees and wages for Zigic, wait for the erratic Jones, hope nobody takes Negredo, pray Benfica suddenly drop the Cardozo price...or it's sheer panic time.

[...]

Any truth in the rumour of Warnock to Villa, Nicko?

Not yet, Martin's not made his mind up...

An interview with Nikola Zigic published on a Valencia fan club site was translated by alexanders and posted on the thread here earlier today.

This surprisingly hit Skysports.com just after 'alexanders' put it on here...

11.02 Nikola Zigic has declared that he wants to remain at Valencia after turning down offers from other clubs, with Blackburn and Aston Villa having been linked with the Serbian striker.

Do you think someone is tuning in?

The Croatian guy Kalinic, mentioned round here once or twice, is about to move...Portsmouth are over there and will buy him with the money they expect to get for Crouch.

Don't know much about him but his record is good.

Nicko, I know i've asked this before but its more of an update I guess. Do you think Davies would want to come to Rovers judging by what you know of the situation?

I feel like I'm going over old ground here, but there are always ways of getting players if you try hard enough - and play dirty.

Peculiar one...random as the young 'uns say...

I hear Senegalese full back Omar Daf has been at Rovers on trial for the past couple of days.

Free agent after a long spell with Sochaux.

No idea where this fits in the grand plan.

Not worth keeping for the 11 o'clocker either.

Feel free to discuss.

Nicko, do you know if Claudio Pizarro is being looked at?

Not heard that one...but after your Treacy for Sheff U triumph I will look into it and take it seriously.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

OK then, game on...

The manager is watching one of his main targets this weekend.

May not even be at Leeds tomorrow...it's THAT hot.

One of his main targets.....wait.....I dont believe Bolton are playing....or is 'HOT' a reference to actual temperature elsewhere?

Funnily enough they are...

But the 'hot' line referred to the fact that the chase seems to be afoot.

I suspect it is a striker he wants to see - after reports from his scouts.

I have a hunch but I will want to be sure he is at the game first.

Anyway, it's brightened up a slow afternoon.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update extra

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 to 16:00 today. Note that nicko is currently active and that this is the final update for today.

Maybe its Marc Janko. salzburg are playing tomorrow afternoon against ried. I think he might go to the sunderland game against benfica then to the red bull salzburg game. Then i think Big Sam will make his decision who to go far.

I've got to say that was my guess too...and maybe going back to watch Benfica again on Sunday...it will be interesting to see the teams at Sunderland v Benfica at 6pm...I'm sure our Portuguese pals will oblige.

Nicko, is this tomorrow´s Mr. X a new name or possibly someone mentioned before? I know you won´t tell but no harm to do little fishing..

I know the manager is watching one - maybe two - of his short-list this weekend...that's all I have so far.

We should know who and how they did over the weekend.

Could be a surprise one, but I imagine it will be one of the Usual Suspects.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

CARDOZO...possibly playing for Benfica in the Amsterdam Tournament.

ZIGIC...probably playing for Valencia v Borussia Dortmund this weekend...if not that would be interesting too.

JANKO...playing in the Austrian pub league.

PIQUIONNE...possibly playing for Lyon in the Peace Cup...don't forget him.

I don't think Sam would need to see Davies or Jones, so I suspect it is one of the first three.

My guy at the game - in the VIP seats - says Sam is NOT at Sunderland v Benfica.

So we can probably score that out.

Nicko, is it certain that Sam is at some match tonight? Quick view on Livescore tells there isn´t many options.

I know he's away...and am working overtime to find out where.

Nicko, i saw that Bojinov is being linked to Lazio for 4.5million, not a bad fee for someone who ate their brother !!!

The McCormack kid would be a replacement for Derbyshire, personally didn't think that was a bad shout, whether he is better than Derbyshire is debatable though.

Hope we get a fresh name in the mixer this weekend, as it's all becoming a bit stale.

I can't believe Lazio are paying that much for Bojinov - unless it's a package deal including his brother... :lol:

McCormack has got a long way to go yet. Not for me at this stage.

[image omitted]

Dieumerci Mbokani!........

Hope Big Sam is going to pop up at the Super Cup final in Belgium......Played on saturday.......................Standard play Genk and 1 outstanding player sticks out..........Mr Congo Striker..............Any chance of this happening Mr Nixon?............Rovers do have big contacts in this country................Heres hoping.................Ideal signing for Rovers ...............Big........... strong...............Lots of pace and knows where to put the ball........excellent record..............

Woke up to a bizarre text...

Latest info is that the manager will also be watching a target on Sunday. Sounds like he is having a supermarket-sweep-style weekend.

It just gets more intriguing.

nicko, does that mean Sam watched someone last night too?

I have not had that confirmed, but making a lot of progress on this right now.

For one reason and another I am going to have to go dark on this in the meantime...

But there will be a 12 o'clocker if I can crack it.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

I know for a fact what game it is now...and the target...and why the manager has been away...

Won't be around until much later.

So no PMs or requests.

But it's worth the wait.

Pavel Pogrebnyak...??

Well Yorkshire radio says that BFS is not at the game today because he is on a scouting mission in Russia??

Zenit are playing today, hope it's Pogrebenyak he's looking at!!

1st PFK Samara Kryliya Sovetov 0 - 0 Saturn Moscow

14:15 UK Lokomotiv Moscow v Dinamo Moscow

15:45 UK Zenit St Petersburg v FK Rubin Kazan

18:00 UK FK Rostov-Na-Donu v FK Tom' Tomsk

Today's games according to ESPN:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/fixtures?leag...s.1&cc=5739

Looking at the Lokomotiv and Dinamo squads there are no stand out, well known names...

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Pavel Pogrebnyak

OK then...

Sam has been over watching the Pogster. Obviously going right down the list of alternatives now.

I believe it is pretty well advanced because from what I hear both the player and the club have also been spoken to in the last 24 hours.

The player didn't score in a pretty dull 0-0er.

He is available, but there may be something of a surprise in the price you have to pay...but that's another story.

I don't think this one is over the line, but I would say that Poggy is now favourite because he is available and may be interested this time.

Can't say my heart skips with joy at that news, but there we go.

I think one or two other names are being juggled with too, so the next few days may be interesting.

For what it's worth I cannot believe Sam would take Mido. A word with his mate Brucie would have ended that interest before it began.

If he's 2m on the cheap though he might consider it?

Thanks for the update nicko on the scouting mission, turns out the slip by Yorkshire media was right then, be interesting to see what the story over the price is. I said perhaps they would rather let him go for a free when his contract expires rather than let him go in the middle of their season, maybe they still want a big fee unless it's one of those deals where he gets a cut or a former club are owed money so they still want a lot.

Interesting times ahead

You would consider him at £2 million, any more and he is an almighty risk.

His CV is very mixed...moved around Russia more than you would want.

But the fact the manager is over there - with an agent in tow - tells me this one is very hot.

Note: It looks like nicko was posting in a hurry and misread DeadlyDirk's "2m on the cheap" as referring to Pogrebnyak rather than Mido, as DeadlyDirk intended. This led to a little confusion later on in the thread. The "2 million" quoted by nicko is no more than a ball-park figure to represent the "bargain fee" that nicko goes on to mention below.

Hi Nicko, thanks for confirming what a lot of people thought. Would you expect a transfer to be concluded if you were to put your money on it? I.e. will this be 43rd (?) and counting... ;)

I can see this one stumbling a bit before the line...hopefully.

I presume you do not rate this player Nicko - any particular reason?

I have not seen much of the guy, but two people I know watched him recently and both used the term 'big lump.'

Is the surprise that the price involves cash plus a player? Benni off to Russia?!

The price should be low, but we are talking about Russians here...

I don't see Benni fancying Leningrad somehow. ;)

Big lump as in Samba or big fat lump

Samba is a big unit and a very good player...in defence and occasionally attack.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Pavel Pogrebnyak

Agreed Samba is a very good player.

Would poggy be the target man Sam wants or a Derbyshire replacement

Definitely target man material.

When will you relay details of the fee Nicko?

I will be describing it as a 'bargain fee' but that was when I first heard this morning...I heard something different about an hour or so ago.

Hopefully the trip this weekend will establish that once and for all.

Nicko, do you know if Sam still intends to watch someone tomorrow? If he is, I presume you are keeping that name quiet for now?

It could be he is just stopping over to close this one...if he saw enough and heard enough about the price today.

This is a fairly lively one right now.

nicko's article on Pogrebnyak appeared in The People today - see HemelRover's post above for the link.

Nicko, based on your current information do you think Poggy will join us? I think Big Sam wouldn´t have travelled Russia if there wasn't some serious contacts already made.

I think we will all know more on that today...it will come down to the price...if Rovers can 'nick' him for a low fee then it could happen.

However I am hearing horror stories about what the Russians want. If that is so then this trip may have been a waste of time.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 4

Pavel Pogrebnyak

There then follows discussion of what would be an acceptable price to pay for Pogrebnyak.

But why would you pay £8 million for a player with FOUR months remaining on his contract? Pog could sign a pre contract with Rovers and play for us in November on a FREE, saving that money! I would pay no more than £4 million for him.

No, the window shuts at the end of August [or September 1 or 2] and if you haven't signed by then you can't play until the next one opens on January 1, 2010.

[...]

Bosman rule applies in all countries.

I get the feeling this one is going to turn messy.

Check back on the Arshavin to Arsenal move and see what these people are like when it comes to negotiation.

[...]

The last time we signed someone outside of the transfer window was Vogel, but he was unattached in the January window so therefore he could move outside of the window, which is why I said Pogrebnyak would have to leave before the end of August.

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6971785.stm

"Players who are out of contract and do not have a club, can be signed outside of the transfer window if they are unattached free agents when the window closes."

[...]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #4 of 4

Di Santo

Quite interesting that the team played 4-4-2 again today...this could be the pattern for the season...and it also explains why Di Santo is being brought in.

On today's evidence Di Santo will start.

Is the Di Santo deal on??

I believe so, but until he arrives there is always the capacity for a late disappointment...he is due back on Monday and the idea is to have him up to Ewood very soon after.

The fact Shevchenko came on ahead of him last night suggests the kid is seen as surplus for this season.

I hope so, the more you think about it the better this deal becomes.

[...]

9.01 According to reports in the News of the World, Arsenal are ready to make a £7million for Chelsea forward Salomon Kalou.

What about this, will it affect the Di Santo move?

I don't think so. I don't think the Arsenal tale is right and Di Santo should be heading for Rovers once Chelsea get back in the next couple of days.

Tidbits

Any idea why Samba didnt play yesterday?

Back twinge apparently. Grella had a twinge too...there's a shock.

Do we even have any backroom staff left? Lol. Any news on new backroom staff Nicko

Not yet...it looked very bare on the touchline yesterday.

Archived