SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko was very active for periods on the thread.

The thread is once again a hive of activity, with some 15 pages added over the last 24 hours. In addition to the usual speculation on incoming players, there was a running discussion of get-out clauses in players' contracts and a few tidbits on non-Rovers matters that have not been included in this digest. Please check out the thread itself to follow the various discussions. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Nicko, any news on the fitness of players at the Austria shindig, mainly Reid, Emerton and Benni?

The only word I heard was that Reidy's knee is still a cause for some concern because the latest op was quite complicated...nobody will really know until he starts playing matches.

Nicko in your opinion how far down the list is janko or is he even on it? Do you know if our scouts were impressed by him?

I think he is on the list of possibles...but he is very expensive and at a wealthy club who are in Europe...so you would have to over-bid for him or wait until they go out of Europe.

It's going to be about available strikers very shortly.

At the end of last week there were an awful lot of calls made, some big figures bandied around and no-one has arrived [apart from Vieri on trial].

I think that tells the story.

The Eleven O'Clocker

Slightly early one...

KENWYNE JONES...doing a bit on him in the paper tomorrow, definitely on the list and a hot one...however Sunderland have to get their men in first...so it will depend on that...obviously if another Rovers target becomes available between now and then the whole picture changes again...this chase is going to go on.

ANDY VAN DER MEYDE...contain your excitement...but he is definitely still an option...due to go to Austria...if he is not already there...oh dear.

NEWCASTLE...this takeover thing could be very close...but some people are telling porkies at that club...so we shall see.

[...]

Nicko any idea on the price for Kenwyne? Will this not just alert Spurs who now have at least £8m+ to play with?

Spurs are unlikely to go for him again...Sherwood slammed him and I think he spoke for Harry...if not, it would make for an interesting chat should Jones go to Spurs. :lol:

Views on the Bent links? Sam being cute?

I think it is just a name being thrown out there...

Sunderland have more money than Rovers both for a fee and in wages. So you won't win that battle. Sam knows that.

Then there is the player - and his wife - and whether they would like to leave London, which applies to both clubs involved.

In response to the article in the Lancashire Telegraph on the Rovers' interest in Darren Bent:

I have just read the local paper story which collapses in a heap at this point...

Sunderland were understood to have been close to an £8million deal for Bent last season and it is believed a figure in that region again would be enough to capture the services of the England striker.

Spurs want £18 million...so if anyone thinks that £8 million is buying him they need their nuts reading.

At lunchtime, news came through of an offer from Fulham for Keith Andrews, reported on Sky Sports. The Lancashire Telegraph subsequently published a brief statement confirming the interest from Fulham but indicating that no official bid was lodged. Thanks to RibbleValleyRover for the alert and original link.

Rovers linked with Le Mans Defender Gregory Cerdan

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/...rn-rovers-radar

Rovers linked with Atletico Madrid's Luis Garcia

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/07/...co-madrids-luis

Rovers linked with Bent over Kenwynne Jones

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...eye_Bent_swoop/

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 17:00 today. Note that nicko was only briefly active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Much of the stuff has seaped out during the day anyway, so here goes...

DARREN BENT...Sunderland bid now up to £12m, Spurs now willing to take £16 million...still a way apart but can't see any way Rovers are going to nick in there...he wants to move for first-team football but I hear he would prefer to stay down south.

STEPHANE M'BIA...Stoke gone bonkers...bid £10 million...he;s over talking...Everton might yet come back into this one, but a shocker nonetheless...Rovers were never in that race...it was M'Bami not M'BIa who was being watched...and he hasn't got a club yet before you ask.

ANDY VAN DER MEYDE...shock horror...looking good in training...that can't last surely.

KENWYNE JONES...not interested in Radio Lancashire denials...he is on the hot list.

KEITH ANDREWS...the price is £3 million...that could happen unless Fulham come to their senses and realise it's too much.

[...]

I should point out that £3 million is what Rovers want for Andrews...not what Fulham have bid...yet.

Just a small observation on the Andrews thing...

Most managers want to get their own players in as soon as possible. Andrews wasn't a Sam signing, so if he can move him out and bring in a player he wants with the cash then it will probably happen. If Rovers get the full £3 million it is a no-brainer.

This morning brought the very sad news of the passing of Colin Hendry's wife, Denise. As a mark of respect for the great man and his family, nicko announced that he would not be engaging in his usual chat for a while and, as such, questions and requests for nicko might best be avoided on the thread until he indicates he is willing to field these once more.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 17:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko's activity on the board during this period was confined to the two posts below.

I'll keep it brief because my heart has not been in it today.

M'BAMI - is supposed to be on his way to Portsmouth but it is probably a 'come on' for other clubs...you may react to this one...he was always a possible pre-season trial job.

M'BIA - still not signed for Stoke...big personal demands.

NAUGHTON - Everton in pole position, but could be a late rival.

ETO'O - Man City deal collapsed which would be hilarious most other days.

There's a bit of nonsense coming out of France today that will no doubt make some of the papers...

ARUNA DINDANE...half-fit striker...supposed to be signing for you in a £5 million deal...as if.

ABDOULAYE MEITE...coming soon...help!

CHRIS SAMBA...to Everton for £8.5 million...garbo...but a bit worrying he seems to be talking about moving to the French press.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Goalkeepers - Ins and Outs

I'm reading in a Norwegian papers transfer round-up for the Premier league that we have gotten Nikos Giannakopoulos from Asteras Tripolis for £52 000 pund.

Who?

How?

When?

Signed about a month ago. Why? - my only guess is that the other 1 million keepers we have were getting lonely :lol:

[...]

Fielding is going to be sold...Championship club...very soon.

Don't know which one before you ask.

Fielding is being sold...he has a year left on his deal and Rovers are cashing in. No idea on fee or club, but he is off.

[...]

Bradford fans seem to think Fielding is signing for them...

No, definitely Championship...and for a few quid.

[...]

Any idea on the fee we are talking?

I don't...but I would stab at £150,000-ish.

The Eleven O'Clocker

Not much news as such.

BENJANI...I can't see it...not the player he was...if you wanted him he would be there already.

STRIKER SEARCH...think what Sam said on Friday was right...made your calls, know the prices and the market...now waiting for Mister Right...who is either too expensive or about to become more available...keep the faith.

ROTHEN...some agents trying to tempt him to Portsmouth or Birmingham...can't see anyone buying him...he will have to be a free at his age.

EVERTON...finally sparking into life...moves for Ledley and a couple of surprise names now that M'Bia has gone elsewhere.

An awful lot of teams chasing people frantically already.

One Prem side has stopped a striker joining a Championship side just because he is available...they are taking him instead...not good enough either.

YOUR NEIGHBOURS...have robbed coach John Henry from Partick Thistle...Coyley better have a good reason for that one.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Di Santo

Any chance Arnesen's move to Sporting Director might scupper getting Di Santo on loan? If Chelsea bring in someone else to be in charge of the youth and development setup? They may have a different view on Di Santo’s future?

Funnily enough, it helps. Arnesen is the guy who has given Rovers first option. Ancelotti will see him train and possibly play a game on tour...but it still looks good for him to join Rovers at the end of the month.

[...]

Rothen

Are you aware of whether or not we're still in contact with him Alan?

A couple of agents are trying to take Rothen to Birmingham or Portsmouth...seems Sam has his priorities elsewhere and only on strikers right now.

Ricky Sbragia

Under the headline Big Sam lure for Sbragia, The People reports that Sam's former number 2 is looking to join up with him again at the Rovers. Thanks to John for the link.

Thanks also to ffan for the original heads-up on the story this morning with a link to today's Sunday Express, which makes very brief mention of this story.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Late afternoon update extra

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:00 to 16:00 today. Note that nicko is currently active on the thread.

Current trialists: Vieri and Van der Meyde

Nicko any word on how Vieri and Van Der Meyde are doing, in pre season training. I know you said VDM looked good in training, but was that just a one off?

I hear both will be kept on for the trip to Croatia...or wherever...this week.

Would you know Alan, if we will see either Vieri or VDM get any game time in the Cambridge game on Tuesday, or are they deemed too 'off the pace', as it were?

I don't know if that is a first-team game or for the ressies...it would make sense to give all of the players a half.

How big are their dressing rooms? :lol:

Possible trialists

how's the striker hunt going Nicko?

any mystery guests on tour??

It's a slow summer so far for striker moves...everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more trialists coming, but no names yet.

This made me smile I have to say...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%A9phane_Mbia

Hoilett and striker targets

Nicko any news on when Hoilett is due to arrive, hope he gets a run out on Tuesday but I imagine he wont just yet.

I believe he is in this week. Hopefully he gets a run-out soon.

Nicko - is there any word from the likes of Davies, Jones or any of our other targets whether they would be interested in a move to Rovers?

It's an interesting question. As we speak, no striker seems to be breaking down the door to push for a move to Rovers...I think Sam is just waiting to see who becomes available at the right price...and who else wants to sign them.

Starting to think this could be a long-ish process. The flurry of calls a week or so agao just provided figures and confirmation that this is a very tough market.

The half-hearted way that you moved for Davies would not have been enough to get the player to stamp his feet and demand a move.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period. Today's digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Leroy Lita

I have had a disturbing convo with a mate who supports Reading and he claims that LITA is coming on trial at Ewood this week.

Perhaps with him being a freebie, is there likely to be any substance in this claim Alan ?

[...]

I know Sam fancied him when he was younger...I would not dismiss that rumour out of hand.

[...]

[..]

JUST CHECKED WITH THE USUAL HOTELS...HE HAS NOT CHECKED IN...BUT THAT IS ONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON ALL THE SAME.

TA.

Frédéric Piquionne

Nicko, sorry if he has been mentioned recently (not trawled back through the last couple of days posts) but is Frederic Piquionne on Sam's radar? found this:-

http://www.lazio-seriea.com/2009/07/12/eng...-for-piquionne/

I heard it a couple of weeks ago, mentioned it in The People and it has gone round in circles since. I don't think it has moved any further forward, but if the dozen or so names in front of him fail to happen then it could be on.

Darren Bent

Is relevant to us, any further news on Darren Bent's likely destination?

Birmingham local press linking Villa with him today

Sunderland's bid is still the biggest, but Spurs are being stubborn...I can't see Villa getting into that chase unless they throw a player or two of their own into the mix.

Any transfer 'chain' that includes Spurs is always guaranteed to be slow and complicated.

Has Sam expressed any interest in American players? Donovan Landon and Michael Bradley both have experience internationally and in the German leagues, so should be able to be competitive in the EPL.

If there was a top American target man Sam would swim the Atlantic to get him right now.

Alharbi el-Jadeyaoui

[...]

SSN:

10.27 Blackburn Rovers have handed a trial to French youngster Alharbi el-Jadeyaoui.

The guy is a tall and quite quick winger, but he is no youngster [22] and has played all of his days at a low level. I think his agent has done very well to get him even near to the building.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period. Today's digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

The merry-go-round

There seems to be a number of deals all waiting for the merry-go-round to start ....

Crouch - Bent - Jones - Young - Keane - Bentley - A Smith and probably a few more too

Any news Nicko on who will finish up where?

Sunderland are the big money players outside the 'elite' right now - but it's not easy for them to get players to join them. They want Crouch and Bent and have more cash than anyone, but a month on they still can't land them.

Jones's future depends on landing those two...or any others.

No idea on Young, Bentley will probably find a home somewhere...and the Newcastle players will get shipped out once they get an owner and a manager and find anyone daft enough to take them.

Sam to look abroad

Looks like we will look abroad now.

Holiett confirmed in the article - should join the squad today.

The article basically said what we all know - the club have inquired about around a dozen strikers at home and abroad and the prices are ferocious.

However, to be fair, I think you will end up breaking your record. It's NOT for the want of trying at the moment. All it takes is for something to break and you get your man.

There is no great conspiracy here to trouser the Roque cash. So, just keep it real.

Fielding

The local press report on the Fielding news:

Taster for the Eleven O'Clocker

There is some messing around going on with the Sheff U lads Naughton and Walker...

Not involving you directly but there is one obvious Rovers-related link which I will go into later.

Nicko, what was the thing that you were talking about, that will affect Rovers indirectly?

Leave that until 11pm...no point in giving too much away...think it is something that works out in your favour.

Vieri and Van der Meyde

Any word on how Vieri and Van Der Meyde are shaping up in the pre-season training?

Quite well considering...

Although these two would surely only be fringe men.

Just a bit worried you are gathering too many of them just now. Jacobsen, N'Zonzi, van Heerden...Givet is the only one signed so far who is a proven Premier player.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period.

The thread has been quite diverse in terms of discussion topics over the last 24 hours. Topics have included Man City's spending and the possible impact this will have on the Big Four; how influential Alonso is in Liverpool's midfield; and Burnley's activity in the transfer market.

Meanwhile, Rovers-related content of the thread doesn't lend itself to summarising according to topic, so today's digest is once again a chronological summary of the thread.

Nicko - Do you think the Cardozo link has gone cold? Or is there still potential there?

I think he is one of those in the 'we'll get back to you when you stop talking silly figures' file.

Bent would be a very good signing but I think he will prove too expensive. Could maybe wipe Spurs debt as part of the deal tho??

£16 million fee, huge wages and richer Sunderland after him...

Can someone please tell Sky to stop asking stupid questions?

Can someone tell Sunderland & Spurs to get a move on and get the market moving please......

If Sunderland sign Crouch, then will they still be interested after signing Campbell?

Sunderland want Bent and Crouch...Campbell is a support act...a lightweight as well, as it happens.

caicedo, bellamy, boijinov? a lot better quality than we currently have..

You can't have seen Bojinov lately...

I thought it was very odd that Bent was the only player they chose to namedrop.

Hughesy makes an interesting point though, do Spuds owe us anything for Bentley for still which could help keep the price down in a way?

Pretty sure Rovers screwed Spurs to the deck about up-front money on the Bentley deal a year ago. It was all paid as far as I know...and remember Arsenal got their slice too.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period.

The thread has been quite diverse in terms of discussion topics over the last 24 hours. Topics have included Man City's spending and the possible impact this will have on the Big Four; how influential Alonso is in Liverpool's midfield; and Burnley's activity in the transfer market.

Meanwhile, Rovers-related content of the thread doesn't lend itself to summarising according to topic, so today's digest is once again a chronological summary of the thread.

As John pointed out Big Sam states in an interview with Rovers World that we are currently negotiating with 3 clubs for 3 strikers. Nicko are these names new ones or ones that you have already mentioned?

I wonder if all of today's talk about 'bidding for foreign strikers' is designed to remind one or two Premier League clubs that they had better drop their prices...

Nicko, with Vieri getting an extended trial is there some talk or belief that the Di Santo deal may not be as secure as first thought?

Not at all. Di Santo is still on course. Vieri is just a 'wild card' possible addition.

The Eleven O'Clocker

Question of the day award...

SPURS are talking to both Naughton and Walker...massive money...and Walker would go back to Sheff U on loan for the season...Naughton is seen as a LEFT BACK by Tottenham...which means there won't be any more interest in Warnock from them...it's a bit of a tenuous link, but it is actually pretty significant...Everton are far from happy...Naughton is being pushed to Spurs, so it may yet have a twist or two...Sheff U want the deal as they get fortunes AND Walker for a year.

YOUR NEIGHBOURS have got Easton from Hamilton and are about to sign the young full back Eckersley from Man U...which will upset Sir Alex...which is no bad thing...sounds like Coyley is having a Ginger Look-Alike competition here.

ROVERS and the French winger/trialist seems a bit of an odd story...an agent who was pushing him round knows nothing about it...I think someone's wires have been crossed here.

Looking forward to seeing who plays against Cambridge United. Would love to see Vieri and what shape he is in. I hear he is proving a bit of hit with the chaps. He speaks good English and has a dry sense of humour.

[...]

By the way, Ruud is in the Real Madrid squad in Dublin.

Sounds like he wants to prove his fitness.

Interesting.

Nicko, why are you so sure that Di Santo will sign for us?

Rovers and Chelsea have a gentleman's agreement that suits all parties.

Chelsea want to let Ancelotti see him first, but their 'main men' are happy to let him go - and play for Rovers.

I felt - when I first heard about it - that it was very shrewd business.

The fact that every club is struggling to sign a good striker this summer just proves that is a fair assessment.

He is a goodie.

First-team coach Karl Robinson has left the Rovers to join up with Paul Ince again at MK Dons (thanks to Hughesy for the link):

Nicko, are we any closer to getting Ricky Sbragia in [...]?

Not related in any way. Sbragia can move if he wants to...there may be some things to sort out at the Sunderland end first. However there is clearly a place for him at Rovers if he wants it.

Edit: Link added

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 4

how does he rate against jacobsen?

and not in terms of potential, just as in for next season who would you rather have?

i'm not digging for anything here, just interested as i've never seen eckersley play and if we should have signed him instead of jacobsen that would be a shame. saying which the last young right back we had was a flop.

Jacobsen is a steady if unspectacular right back who has not played much for the past couple of years. OK on a free, but I thought you could do better. Maybe there is still time...

Eckersley is a gamble because he is young, but he has been brought up at one of the best clubs going and is a good player and strong character. Not many stand up to Sir Furious and walk out of their contract.

Neither are guaranteed to be successes, but I think Coyley has chosen brilliantly within his budget.

I was going to mention 'sell-on value' here, but I better not...

Just hearing your chief scout Barry Whitbread has left...no further details...

Interesting.

Whats your opinion of Barry Whitbread?

There have been mixed views by the regulars at Brockhall. Some rate him with his Liverpool connections but others tie him in with the Ince era.

All I can say about the guy is that he was a worker. I saw him at a lot of games and heard of many long trips he was making.

I don't think this is a sacking, by any means.

Jacobsen is a steady if unspectacular right back who has not played much for the past couple of years. OK on a free, but I thought you could do better. Maybe there is still time...

I was going to mention 'sell-on value' here, but I better not...

Hardly relevant for a freebie is it Alan?

[...]

Well, you brought the subject up...

Rovers would take ANY striker right now. Re-sale value means nothing in that search.

It's hard enough getting a top-level striker without adding that restriction to it. Like I said two weeks and about a dozen inquiries ago.

[...]

Then why has Sam said he's prepared to play the waiting game.

I think Sam knows exactly who he wants...and in what order.

There is a reason for the recent delay, but I don't want to go into it.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #4 of 4

Then he won't take any striker as you said earlier.

Perhaps that was wishful thinking, posted with your Bumley hat on :P

Sam had a short list of about a dozen - maybe more names - that he has gone through in the past week. He would have taken 'any' of them and would not have considered the re-sale value factor in this case.

Your chairman would obviously consider the re-sale factor too but some of the names that were being pursued had absolutely no re-sale factor in them.

The striker chase is about signing the best available...not putting daft imaginary hurdles in front of yourselves.

And you still like to make smart arse remarks about it particularly when it is irrelevant as in this case.

In the case of Davies and any other big money purchase in his age group it has to be taken into account with the state our finances and if you would only admit it you know it too.

Davies at £5 million would have been the ideal signing...balls to re-sale value in his case as he would have paid his way.

Davies at £10 million is nonsensical.

nicko, have you heard any of the valuations on the targets we're pursuing - and do you agree that the prices are too high? (compared to what we received for RSC that is)...or are we being stingy...?

Prices just now are ridiculous. You are going to have to be very inventive...or settle for someone not at the level you want.

SSN - 11.50 Wigan, Stoke City and Blackburn are reportedly tracking Lens striker Aruna Dindane. Our sources in France claim it is Blackburn that hold the strongest interest.

Three-club rule alert.

Dindane was unfit for much of last season, watched by several and nobody moved for him. You have to be able to do better than that...hopefully.

[...]

Your chairman would obviously consider the re-sale factor too but some of the names that were being pursued had absolutely no re-sale factor in them.

The striker chase is about signing the best available...not putting daft imaginary hurdles in front of yourselves.

The Chairman holds the best interests of the club at heart. The best interests aren't signing a striker over 30 as our major replacement for Rocky. If Davies came in as an also ran to fight with Benni and Jason then fair enough, but not at that price.

Janko at a million more is a better move IMO, even without premiership experience. Even Birmingham have taken a punt on a striker, saying he'll either be the next big thing or an average striker. A good striker will always score goals, no matter what league.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period.

Suggestions by nicko late yesterday afternoon regarding the Rovers' main target led to discussion and speculation on the matter dominating Rovers-related transfer talk. Thus, today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading, with posts in the New Mystery Striker section in chronological order.

The Man City effect

Nicko,

Have you any idea why this transfer window seems more painful than others? It just seems to be very slow with not many quality players moving.

Is it the Man City effect? Economy?

Just wondering if you had a view?

Cheers

Adam

It's actually moved at a reasonable rate for the likes of Man U and Man City, even Chelsea. However as more than half of the Premier League are watching the pennies - and there are not many good players freely available - then it is a case of being careful.

There are also a couple of notorious ditherers at some of the 'bigger' clubs who have been missing their targets or seem unable to close deals.

There will be a lot of deals done before it's all over and the inevitable last dance at the disco jobs...only the smooching might start with them a week before the end of the month rather than just on the final date.

Any idea on Bojinov's availability? Can't be happy at city and must be about 8th choice on the pecking order.

Still young I think 23-25, been unlucky with injuries but showed promise when he returned at the tail end of last season.

3-4million???

I saw him play at the end of last season and he would appear to have eaten his brother.

nicko, Bellamy is being linked with a move away. Any chance we would be interested in him or him in us?

I cant believe he will be happy with all these strikers, but also I cant see Hughes pushing him out.

Bellamy is on an absolute fortune in wages...might be worth an ask at the end of the window if he has not gone anywhere and you have not found anyone.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period.

Suggestions by nicko late yesterday afternoon regarding the Rovers' main target led to discussion and speculation on the matter dominating Rovers-related transfer talk. Thus, today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading, with posts in the New Mystery Striker section in chronological order.

New mystery striker

A general update on Rovers' dealings included the suggestion that nicko might know who is top of Sam's striker list.

Any other news of Rovers interest nicko? Anymore news on Fielding, has the Zurab link completley fallen through now? (Hopefully) Are Fulham likely to come back in for Andrews?

BFS seems to be playing the strikers quite close to his chest and has only commented on players name dropped by other reporters, would that be a fair assesment? The player we bring in could literally be anyone right now from what we know I guess.

Any timescale on the Di Santo deal? I guess Ancelotti wants a decent look at him but ideally we'd want to give him a chance to train with our squad and feature in pres season too.

I think Sam knows the guy he wants...just trying to confirm it before committing to that one.

Di Santo should be ok and will be here by the end of the month.

No latest on Fielding or Zurab. Fulham going for Greening would suggest he is an Andrews alternative, so they are shopping around.

I got some pretty specific info on this early today but I have not had it from a second source, which I usually prefer in such cases.

If I say whether he is good/bad/whatever then it gives you a clue and builds hopes/puts you on Bridgend watch. Likewise any clues on if he has been mentioned before...although every striker with a pulse has been linked here lately.

So until I get the second lead I want then let's just leave it at that.

[...]

No 11 o'clocker as such...can't get a second confirmation on the Rovers striker target...I know Sam has ONE guy now in mind...but need to have the name confirmed by another source before I can go with it.

Not an awful lot going on...the Sheff U lads have both been at Spurs, but not signed yet.

And Sunderland are talking up a major new signing [thanks to the PMers for that] who I would imagine is Bent.

I hope something happens soon to get the wheel spinning.

If I get the Rovers name from someone else tomorrow I will be able to go with it.

[...]

Nicko - any news on a second confirmation of the striker`s name ? - is he foreign or home based by the way, and if you don`t get confirmation, will you share anyway as an afterthought ?

Two solid contacts have given me one name...trouble is a third solid contact says it is another.

I think the truth is that BOTH are the options and it will come down to who sells at the right price.

Pretty sure who the top choice is now, but I would prefer contact to be made with his club.

This is a major move for yourselves. I would rather have the whole picture, but that could happen quite soon.

I don't want to give any more clues out on the names I think it has come down to...trying hard to crack this...hopeful.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period. Close to 20 pages were added to the thread during the 24-hour period, with most of the Rovers-related discussion focussing on Nikola Zigic. So, today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading, with posts in the New Mystery Striker section in chronological order.

New mystery striker: Nikola Zigic

nicko, does it seem that all the dosh is going to be spent on this striker

Not all of it. But until a striker is signed you won't know how much is left in the pot. So no other positions will have money spent on them in case the extra £1 or 2 million is needed for the striker.

I'm not even sure this tale will get much in the papers tomorrow, with the Open and the cricket, but for what it's worth...

As far as I know the number one target is now Nikola Zigic...Sam has been looking at him for a while and he is the most available striker in the price range. He is the man most likely to arrive as we speak and I believe something will move shortly.

Plays for Valencia, who don't want him but are trying to create an auction. Giant Serb, possibly improving with age. Possibly not.

Can't say I'm a fan, but it's not down to me.

The only other name getting a serious mention right now is Kenwyne Jones. But I think if Zigic's price is right - in the £6 to 7 million range - that he should be on his way soon.

Feel free to throw rotten fruit at this stage if you wish.

And before anyone asks that was the 11 o'clocker.

Burnley fans will already be aware of the Ecuadorian.

In a small snippet elsewhere Danny Simpson, once briefly of this parish, is talking to Ipswich about a full-time move from Man U. Not agreed terms yet.

Here's the article in today's Mirror: Blackburn target tall striker Nikola Zigic. Thanks to alexanders for the link.

Nicko, If we get him for £7-8 million what will the other £5-6 million get spent on assuming we had £13 million to spent?

You would hope so. At least that would be the plan. Remember Di Santo is a 'wages only' signing, so that should not take much out of the budget.

You saved yourself, at least, by suggesting Kevin Davies first!

Zigic would be a massive relief, and at £6-7 million I'd guess he wouldn't be the only signing. If we could another another good attacker with the rest of the money it could be a good move.

Kevin Davies was the manager's first choice.

Four weeks on, with no arrival yet, I think that has been proved by the absence of anyone else in that time-frame.

Nicko, is there any chance Valencia would agree on a loan with a view to make it permament or do they want to cash in now?

Valencia want cash and will probably get it. I believe they are already leaking 'interest' from other clubs. He did quite well on loan at Racing Santander but that has basically increased his value and caused a little bit of interest.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period. Close to 20 pages were added to the thread during the 24-hour period, with most of the Rovers-related discussion focussing on Nikola Zigic. So, today's digest is arranged according to topic for ease of reading, with posts in the New Mystery Striker section in chronological order.

Backroom staff

nicko any truth on the David Fevre to Citeh link that someone mentioned earlier? Very much hope not!

I think that story is correct.

Today's Lancashire Telegraph suggests Sbragia will stay at Sunderland and confirms the departure of Bobby Downes and Man City interest in David Fevre: Sbragia Set to Reject Rovers

thanks to Hughesy for the link

Di Santo

Keep in mind that if Di Santo comes in we will have to play him, Chelsea will want him to get plenty of games and that will be part of the agreement that we do that.

The 'deal' is that he is coming for first-team football, so it is a valid point.

Hopefully the plan is to play two up front...

I can think of someone else who would take Di Santo in a heart beat.

It cannot be in the agreement. Chesea cannot legally affect our starting line up. What if he doesn't perform? They can't have any say in the matter. All that it means is that we would have said we intend on paying him. That's where it stops.

There is nothing 'legal' about it, but the agreement between the clubs is for the player to go on loan to give him first-team football.

If Di Santo isn't going to start he is as well sitting on his backside at Chelsea...or finding another home.

I wouldn't make too much of a fuss about this or Chelsea will ask the same question.

When will rovers get a decision on Di Santo, Nicko? Soon, I would have hoped.

Soon, very soon.

[...]

Correct me if i'm wrong but unless we actually pay a fee to take him on loan then Chelsea could recall him if he isn't getting enough games from Chelsea's perspective. By the sounds of it we are taking him on for free but will be paying his wages.

I don't think a club can recall a player from a season-long loan, which is why it is important for both sides to be comfortable with the agreement before it starts.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Fulham targeting Greening instead of Andrews?

i would love to see him in a rovers shirt

any signs that we could be interested?

I think Greening may have heard what Fulham pay...

What do you mean by that?

We pay bigger wages than Rovers or it's the other way around.

Fulham are paying big dough...which is why Greening asked for a move.

He looks like he needs some extra dough for a good haircut.

Negredo

This is very interesting indeed...wonder if this will change anything...

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...-tottenham.html

[...]

gumboots provided a summary of the article:

For the non French speakers, Real Madrid's young forward Negredo could very soon be on the move to Spurs according to Spanish radio Cadena. This would be the first of 7 or 8 transfers out that Perez wants to pay for the signings of Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema. Spanish radio says Spurs are prepared to pay 18-20 million euros for him (he was on loan at Almeria where he scored 19 goals last season). The deal could be done within 48 hours. The Spaniard is currently training near Dublin with Real.

Striker round-up

Nicko, any truth in the Bellamy to Sunderland links...maybe they've given in with Bent?

I am told there is nothing in that one...he is on a fortune.

have rovers made a bid for a striker yet?

Just to try and tidy up some of the potential alternatives to Zigic...

NEGREDO...Real want £16 million or more...sheesh...too much...if Spurs are signing him - and that figure sounds rich to me - it would mean Bent to Sunderland.

JONES...Spurs are unlikely to do that one...but he could be available soon...THAT might give Rovers time to adjust.

BENT...£16 million?...he just is not on the Rovers radar.

CROUCH...£12 million plus wages...far too much.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko was only active on the thread during this period as per below.

Last night the transfer-related chatter was transmogrified into live match chatter as the focus of attention switched to the pre-season match against AS Roma. Today, activity on the thread has involved a large degree of discussion with fans of the Villa and Sunderland. Meanwhile, new names to be introduced to the pre-season transfer speculation mix include Erwin Hoffer (see the link above) and Marouane Chamakh of Bordeaux, who was first linked with a move to Arsenal. Please note that some editing for the sake of clarity has been carried out below.

The Eleven O'Clocker

[...]

NEWS...not much...interesting to see Zigic fee being pitched higher than I imagined...don't think there is a queue here despite the '15 club' tosh...might be a hard one to negotiate with some of the characters lurking around the deal.

MAN CITY...are selling Ched Evans to Sheff U for a rather large £2.5 million...which is more than he is worth...and suggests Sheff U have sold Naughton and probably Walker to pay for him...he was never up to Rovers or Prem standard, so no loss there.

ALAN SMITH...as outlined earlier, old interest, probably being revived by the local Newcastle paper for [a] a story on a quiet day or [b ] to try and help Newcastle move him on...if he is signed I will have to pack this board in because I could not say what I thought of that as a signing.

I won't be around today. If anything comes up I'll do an 11 o'clocker. Not the best few hours coming up.

Marouane Chamakh

Right I've found the full interview in the Equipe.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/...52_chamakh.html

For those who need the translation, he says: "I'm definitely leaving, even if the trainer and management have said they want me to stay. At the moment there's things going on with Sunderland and Blackburn, where I could already have gone becasue I've got an agreement with them, even if my chairman doesn't see what the heck I'd go there for. It's going slowly because it's my first transfer. I don't want to make a mistake. I'm still thinking; it's my decision."

Talks with Arsenal are less advanced. "That's dreamland. If it comes off with them, so much the better, but if not then it doesn't matter. It wouldn't bother me to go to Sunderland or Blackburn."

Juventus, Fulham and Tottenham have also been linked and the player hopes that his current team won't make things awkward for him by asking a big fee or trying to do a swap deal.

Archived