BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday up to 16:30 today. Note that nicko is currently away and posted only briefly in the thread, while unleaded posted an update on the Rothen situation. Transfer news reported as having been published in the media is as per link detailed below.

Any comments should be confined to the transfer topic thread - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

St Pauli keen to keep David Hoilett:

Setanta, 19 June 2009

German outfit eye Blackburn teenager

thanks to benmaxwell for the link

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday up to 09:30 this morning. News that a fee for the sale of Roque Santa Cruz to Manchester City had been agreed sparked off discussion in both the Transfer Topic and Roque Santa Cruz threads, with nicko active on his return from the States on the Santa Cruz thread yesterday evening and this morning as per below.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Where is Nicko when you need him to confirm this story and tell us more about the two new strikers we are purchasing :D

Jet-lagged.

I think it is very likely that Man City will now pay the fee Rovers want. I think it is a down payment plus extras close to a total of £18 million. Rovers wanted £15 million 'clear' from the sale which suggests Roque will be making up to £3 million for going...

It's a great deal in terms of the sale price.

I have to say there doesn't seem to be a lot of strikers lined up to come in - apart from Di Santo.

And the Derbyshire thing is odd because two weeks ago his camp were told they had to wait until two strikers arrived. Maybe the fee is better than imagined in that case too.

So, good money coming in...but no guarantee of good players coming in.

So, if true, Rocky makes £3m for slagging our club off all season and agitating for a move.

No wonder fans get fed up with the game.

I know where you are coming from...but the club agreed to a split of the profits with him when he signed a new deal in August 2008.

Yes, it seems a bit odd. But you are still getting much more money than he was worth on the strength of his performances last season.

It's how you spend it that matters. Not many clubs will now have this size of kitty.

Who wants to bet the majority of the cash is used for miscellaneous debts, and Sam is given about 30% to juggle with? :rolleyes:

I think - and hope - you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount available. Derbyshire going makes the total even better.

It could be a major plus if it is spent wisely.

CROUCH...didn't fancy coming in January, probably won't this time round either...massive wages [£75k a week] and silly fee...

JANKO...was being watched, think you can do better...

MISTER Y...the 'hunch' I had about a striker on the radar has not yet turned into an official approach...but I have a feeling it will do at some point...

nicko..do you know how much of the money sam allardyce will get to spend from the santa cruz and derbyshire sellings???

as for peter crouch-please god no..id rather we went for kevin davies if that was the case..

I think he will get quite a lot of that cash. The Givet signing may bite into it a bit. But this means the heat is off selling Warnock - another point that needs to be pointed out.

I'm not sure how it will affect the threat of a wage bill cut. Only time will tell.

Getting so much money has to be good news financially.

Football-wise it depends who is brought in...and that is a big question right now.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update

nicko digest covering the period from 09:30 this morning up to 14:30 this afternoon. Note that although nicko was not active on the main Transfer Topic thread, he has been rather active on the Santa Cruz thread as per below.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Nicko what switched City's attention from forlan back to roque?

Forlan didn't want to know...he has been told that he is second choice at Real Madrid if they don't get David Villa.

Those calls were made last week, which is why he dropped off Man City's list and Roque went to number one.

Lucky break for Rovers.

[brief discussion of City's striker situation follows.]

Would Bellamy be happy with that though or would he look for a move elsewhere?

As for Roque's replacement, is there anyone we are actively pursuing, or is there no timeline on this?

Is Bellamy ever happy?

Mister Y will be named in Sunday People tomorrow.

No PMs please.

It won't be a major surprise, but he is deffo the first choice.

He is as well as Mister X aka Franco Di Santo.

Didn't know there was a Mister Y, I am a bit giddy now!!!

Mister Y was a hunch I had a couple of weeks ago...checked yesterday and found out there had been no contact with the club involved...but found out today he is deffo first choice.

Leave it at that for now.

Can't promise an 11 o'clocker because I'm still on Eastern Time and with a head full of handbags.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Raul Tamudo's agent appears to be agitating for a move to the Premier League for his client. Sky Sports speculate that the interested clubs are Wigan, Hull City and the Rovers. nicko cites the three-club rule. (See discussion in Transfer Topic thread.)

Sky Sports, 20 June 2009

Tamudo eyes England switch: Agent says Espanyol captain is negotiating Premier League move

thanks to SergioPeter89 for the link

Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 14:30 yesterday up to 06:30 this morning. Note that nicko posted an early 11 o'clocker last night, which has initiated some debate on the matter in the thread. The post is as per below.

Earlier than scheduled...knackered...doing it earlier also as a 'thanks' to the people who were nice to Little Miss Nicko...no questions please.

The striker Rovers want is Kevin Davies.

It's Big Sam's choice. He thinks he is the answer. He is Mister Y and Plan A.

Bolton won't be pleased and will ask for a lot. However as Sam is keen, then perhaps he knows that he has a good chance for some reason.

No doubt there will be a lot of dissent over this idea, but for what it's worth he is the best English player of his style - a big, honest target man.

It doesn't cut across Di Santo and suggests Sam may play with two up front - or that he could use Davies 'wide' in a 4-3-3 in the way Bolton often do.

Full story in People [hopefully]. Feel free to discuss and throw rotten fruit.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) and Kevin Davies threads covering the period from 06:30 to 15:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the board so far today.

Kevin Davies

Reaction to nicko's article on Kevin Davies and a lively exchange of views among members as well as between nicko and other members can be followed on the Kevin Davies thread. Posts directly relevant to the transfer per se are as below.

Ouch.

Interesting reaction to say the least.

All I will say is that Kevin Davies is one of the most respected target men around. He is NOT the Kevin Davies who was not ready for it at any level when he signed for Rovers a decade back.

There is no doubt in my mind from my sources that Sam wants him as his number one target. I knew it three weeks ago but kept it back because Roque had to be on his way first.

It will cause a war with Bolton because he is THAT important to them...and under contract. That is why I have pitched £5 million as being the price it would take to get him - even at his age.

It won't happen if the bid is low - but Sam obviously thinks he has a chance. Because NO other striker [apart from the separate Di Santo move] is being pursued right now.

If Davies was 26 and playing like he did last year I'd say go for it, trust Sam etc. But anything over £2m for a 32 year old is horrendous and I hope Sam gets knocked back and sees sense on that.

McCarthy, Roberts and Davies as our only three strikers is really depressing.

I realise there is a lot of 'history' with this one, but just consider a couple of things.

Look at the other - similar - strikers who have been watched.

JANKO - is he worth the money? is he any good? what league does he play in again? why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top.

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

Nicko, how much maximum would Sam be willing to pay for Davies?

Sam would bd prepared to pay a lot more than John Williams...that is for certain.

Interesting times ahead.

Other Transfer News

Meanwhile, on the main transfer topic thread, the following link to a Setanta report on Rothen was posted. It may be that Setanta have picked up on the original French article reported on that thread by unleaded on Friday morning. (See here for unleaded's post and an edited version of the translation.)

Setanta, 21 June 2009

Blackburn make bid for PSG star

thanks to benmaxwell for the link

nicko's comment followed posting of this news:

ROTHEN...no contract offered yet by Rovers, but that one has a chance...it's down to PSG to let him go for nothing...that is THE issue.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2)

Today's nicko digest has been divided into two sections for the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today: one covering his contributions on the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) as seen below, and one covering extensive activity on the Kevin Davies thread.

personally i think the telegraph is more reliable than the people newspaper at this stage of the deal, the LET are the clubs official paper really and always have been. if they say the deal is pretty much done then that will be the case.

The LET didn't know who Di Santo was until they read it in the People...

Keep it real.

The move has NOT moved on from the details outlined last weekend.

It is a feeble attempt by the club to take people's mind off the Dreaded Davies.

Hilarious.

Curiously Nicko,

Can you tell us where Sam would see Rothen playing, wide or in the middle???

Not sure...maybe the left in the middle of a 4-3-3 or the left hand side of the middle in a 4-4-2.

Either way he doesn't have the legs to be an attacking left-sider, so probably a 'passer' in the middle.

Let's face it, apart from Tugay, you lacked that kind of ability to keep the ball last season.

That last sentence is so true.

Its just he's famed for his crossing more than anything else, lets hope his passings as good.

Has Sam given you any clue as to how he wants to set out next year??? 433/442 or a combo as this season??

Cheers in advance.

Sam ideally plays 4-3-3 that can become 4-5-1, but that can change. He used two up front quite a lot late last season.

So I think it would be fair to say he will be flexible next season.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #1

nicko digest covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today for the Kevin Davies thread.

Why have you put this out Nicko, has the club or Sam used you to gauge feeling amongst the supporters. NO

Is big Sam challenging the Blackburn board on this issue?. NO, IT'S JUST THE PLAYER HE WANTS

Or are you just having a B) bit of fun! NO, BUT GOOD TO KNOW IT HAS SPARKED SO MUCH INTEREST

Its highly probable this is a Nicko windup probably supported by his dingle mate. If this doesnt come off, Revidge blue will have a field day with Nicko :unsure:

Remind me of the last one.

Fowler? Andrews?

I don't do wind-ups.

Nicko. Is it possible we have other striker targets you just haven't heard about? :unsure:

I find it unlikely our striker wanted list consists of two strikers. Di Santo and Davies?

Kevin Davies is the name at the top of the manager's wanted list.

End of.

No others are being pursued just now [apart from the Di Santo deal which you know all about].

Abuse the power you have Mr.Nixon :rover:

Is Davies, Roque's replacement or Derbyshire's?

As neither of them played much last season it's a bit hard to say...

Basically you are about to sell two and bring in two.

The manager would like Davies to be one of them. Di Santo would be the other.

Nicko, have you heard anything from the Davies camp to suggest that he would fancy a move to Ewood?

I don't even know who is in his camp. However I think there is reason to believe he could be tempted.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #2

nicko digest covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:30 today for the Kevin Davies thread.

Nicko - though from your previous quotes you obviously rate Davies - do you agree with the concerns of this MB -

1. £5m would be a significant fee for somebody over 30

2. Given the average age of our squad - we really need to be buying players with a longer shelf life.

My own opinion - I think Davies would enable us to stand still - but offers nothing for the future. We have a good recent record of buying in youngish talent and selling them on for a profit - Davies would be a £5m outlay - with probably no return.

Given Rovers finances - I think it would be a mistake to buy a player as old as Davies - irrespective of his talents.

I can see why people reckon a big fee is too much for a player of his age. Yes, there is no re-sale value. However you only usually get two or three good seasons out of any striker...and you would have as good a chance of value for money from him as anyone else.

You also have 'free' money from Roque coming your way. He is NOT worth the £15 million you will make on him, which is a hefty profit of around £11 million or so. So in those circumstances you could maybe over-pay a bit on a new striker.

As for players over a certain age not being worth money I would compare Davies to Brad Friedel. Both signed on frees and went on to prove top men in their position. So much so that Villa paid a decent price for Brad, quite fairly in most people's minds.

Nicko, how many players after Di Santo and Davies (if they happen) do you see coming in.

I hope Sam recognises our midfield needing work.

I'm sure he does, but apart from Rothen I have not heard of any other names just yet. There could be others, but they have not surfaced.

It's only been a few days since Rovers found out they were likely to come into the Roque windfall.

That changes a lot of things.

Was Davies a target before we knew we were selling Roque...

Is it not possible that Sam will refocus his attention now he knows he has more to spend?

Davies has been a target 'if' Roque goes...and he is just about to.

Sorry i have to ask. Do you really rate Davies higher then Roque?!

On the strength of last season - and most of the previous four or five - there is no contest. Davies wins every time.

Roque had ONE good campaign for Rovers.

Check the stats.

Today's Lancashire Telegraph has poured cold water on the idea, said that it was "extremely unlikely". It also says that the RSC and Derbyshire deas are expeccted to go through in the next 24 hours.

In the same way that they...

1 - denied Andrews was coming.

2 - tried to play down Fowler coming when they missed the story.

3 - said there was no Bentley sell-on clause.

4 - and no Roque price clause.

On a more interesting note, if that card-mark is from 'upstairs' we could have an interesting discussion coming up within the club when Sam gets back.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #3

And older! Which is the sole reason we cannot go for him. For as long as we don't have a takeover, a club like ours cannot afford to buy players with no resale value.

End of!

What is this re-sale value nonsense everybody goes on about?

Players prove their worth by what they do on the pitch...where they earn points, improve placings and make money for the club that way.

You put forward Janko and Zigic as players who would be better than Davies. Are either of them going to be worth more in a year or two?

It's not an Economics class, it's football.

You sign the players you want to bring you the best success on the field.

Simple as that.

Nicko does seem to like to cause unrest on here and I don't blame him, some of you dive in headfirst. First he bangs on about this mystery striker who's better than Kuranyi and as such would walk right into our team - then reveal it's Di Santo... a youngster who is yet to score in the prem and would probably be third or fourth choice for us.

Then this Davies situation where he did seem to exaggerate our interest quite a bit. If we were that interested then we would've put in a bid, and we'd never pay in the region of £5m for a 32 yo.

Touch wood.

I should point out that your manager is the one who wants Di Santo - I just do the stories.

In my opinion he is a far better bet for you than Kuranyi or that reliable Zaki joker. In time, I hope that judgement is proved right.

I should also point out that your manager is the one who wants Davies. Got to agree with him on that, although it is obviously a political hot potato.

What nonsense. I've got a page bookmarked at home where Wenger talks about the problems of signing players over 27 - he explicitly talks about resale value. I'll post it here if I remember when I get back. There was also something mentioned the other day in an article about Ferguson unwilling to spend big amounts on players over 28.

For clubs that have sound financial backing then resale value isn't very important, but for us it's absolutely huge. The only way we can generate any kind of meaningful transfer budget is to buy low and sell high.

Obviously it's not as simple as you're making out and the top managers in the league obviously don't think so either.

What suits Wenger and what suits Fergie has no relevance whatsoever to Blackburn Rovers.

You signed two players in January who were needed for a fight - because that's where you were - and nobody looked at their birth certificates.

Those two players helped save you millions of pounds.

THAT is reality, not some idle twiddling of philosophies.

Where are these bright young players who could walk into the Rovers side right now? Sorry, but I'm not seeing them.

Your scouts have been round the world looking for people and are aware of the reality of the market and what is available.

OK, let's take two recent exaples of how Kevin Davies pays his way.

The season before last his contributions kept the club in the Premier League. Anyone who saw his performances knows that. Worth? - millions.

Take away Davies's 11 goals last season and Bolton would have been very close to the bottom three. Worth? - millions.

It's not about re-sale, it's about getting the best available team on the pitch.

OK, let's take two recent exaples of how Kevin Davies pays his way.

The season before last his contributions kept the club in the Premier League. Anyone who saw his performances knows that. Worth? - millions.

Take away Davies's 11 goals last season and Bolton would have been very close to the bottom three. Worth? - millions.

It's not about re-sale, it's about getting the best available team on the pitch.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #4

Diouf, 28 - Cost approx £2m.

Givet, 27 - Cost zippo for last season.

Hardly comparative to wasting £5m+ for someone five years older than them, is it?

Diouf cost a wee bit more than that. Would you get your money back? No. But who cares frankly.

Givet is setting you back between £3 and 4 million. Would you get your money back? No. But who cares again.

If you can get Davies for £5 million he could be worth £2 million a season in place money to you...

That is the equation you have to look at, not re-sale.

Your players would have very little re-sale if they got relegated, by the way.

Oh I do believe you on these parts but surely you can't deny that you built up Mister X way too much? Anyway, it's off topic and I'm just laughing at the whole thing so never mind. ;)

I answered questions on him as fairly as I could without giving too many details away at a sensitive time.

In my view he is one of the best captures anyone will make in the Premier League this summer - in your bracket.

Kuranyi is burned-out and gone, you never know if Zaki is even in the right country...this kid is on the way up and has huge potential.

Nicko, there's a huge flaw in your argument.

The only reason we can think about spending £5 million on Kevin Davies is because Mark Hughes had a fantastic ability to buy players with the potential for huge resale value.

If two years ago Hughes had spent the majority of our budget on a 32 year old striker instead of buying Santa Cruz we would be in no position to replace him with anyone approaching £5 million.

It's incredibly short sighted to not think about the resale value. Where would the money come from to replace Davies when his value dropped to nil in a couple of years?

Somebody tell me where these wonderful, untried gems are please...I know the chairman reads this thread. I'm sure he would be delighted to have some ideas.

Especially at this point.

:lol:

A mate of mine is looking for young and untried starlets and I can tell you that they are hard to find. The good ones cost a fortune.

As mentioned on the other thread, Adam Johnson... I know he's on your mates radar.

There's an example. Young, good prospect and good 'resale' value.

Unfortunately Middlesbrough are aware of all of these points and asking stupid money.

Perfect example of the problem you or anyone else faces right now.

£5 million for a young lad who hasn't started much and has one year left on his contract.

The market is very hard for clubs trying to snap up bargains.

You can say this because ultimately you have no responsibility for or interest in our football club. As fans we have a real interest in the club and it's good to read more and more fans are appreciating Rovers cannot afford to waste money on players. Elsewhere you have commented Davies could be worth £2m / season in place money. I quite agree he could be but to repay the £5m he has to do it for three years, and that I doubt, which is why things like resale value are not nonsense to the club's supporters.

For journalists the story is important and the money largely irrelevant, for the club and the support the opposite is true.

Feel free to make that point to your manager.

It's not my idea. Although I have to say I see the sense in it.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #5

STILL DO THE BUSINESS?

11 GOALS IS hardly doing the busuiness? why the hard on for him nicko are gettin a cut or backhander? :P

I have watched him over the years and come to realise what a good player he is.

If I was doing the deal he would be signed already...but probably for someone else. ;)

I also remember how bad he was with Rovers before, but there were reasons for that. I also know how badly his night-out went down before the final game. But the club was diseased at that time and he was in among some wrong uns.

Big strikers also get better as they get older. He is the classic example of that.

So your answer is to occupy a place in a team with someone who plays lots of games, and doesn't score that many, as apposed to someone who scores in their sleep?

DARREN BENT!!!! :rover:

If Darren Bent is so good why do Spurs want rid of him?

Big fee, big wages, probably signing for Sunderland.

Move on.

I think Nicko got far more stick over Di Santo than Davies. This is a messageboard for debate - if his views on Davies are contrary to those of the other members, then he's going to find people challanging his view. Just because he gives us some good info, it doesn't make his opinion gospel.

Never said it was gospel.

It's always interesting to hear people's views...but I would love to know who has actually seen Davies on a regular basis on here...or Di Santo for that matter although that is obviously difficult as he is known to those who watch Chelsea's stiffs.

Funny that the people at Bolton rate him so highly that he is their captain and wad given a three-year contract a season ago. They know what he is worth.

And so does the manager who gave him a new lease of life and worked with him every day for three seasons or so.

I think HIS opinion matters most of all.

Darren Bent will score 15-20 goals a season thats why Nicko, Spurs have Defoe, Keane and that Russian chap, so he never gets a run of games. Sunderland will have a cracker if they sign him

Bent is more like a 12-a-season man. He would cost around £10 million and is looking for around £75,000-a-week.

Is that value? Not so sure.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update - Kevin Davies #6 of 6

I wasn't saying that you did, my post was more in response to RoverTheHills.

I'm sure you read my comments regarding Davies. I think he is a good player and would suit our style of football. However, at 32, he just doesn't represent good value for money. Far from it, in fact. I also don't know for how much longer he will be at the top of his game.

Out of interest, have you watched Di Santo on a regular basis? I must admit, I thought you over-hyped him somewhat.

I first saw him in an Argentinian under-20 game and he looked the dog's. Followed his progress after that and wasn't shocked that Chelsea took a chance. You may recall he was linked to Rovers at the same time - but that one didn't work out.

Then I caught him in a reserve game last season and thought he had a real chance.

Burnley asked for him on loan and were told he wasn't being allowed out. But now they think he needs to get games at the best possible level.

For my pains I see a lot of ressie games involving the big clubs and he is easily the best compared to anything at Man U, Liverpool or Everton. Man City have Sturridge at a similar age and standard. But Di Santo could be more of a threat than him, although I am a Sturridge fan too.

Out of interest, again, how do you rate Macheda? Is he worth all the hyper? Do you think Di Santo is the better of the two?

Di Santo is older and more developped. He also has a fair amount of first-team football behind him in Chile where the standard is reasonable. I think he is ready to take the step up to being a Premier League starter.

Macheda has a lot of talent but is still learning. It would be too much to ask him to start for anyone in the Premier League next season.

Archived