BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #4 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was extremely active on the thread yesterday evening, but so far today he has only been active briefly around 09:30.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that over 10 pages were added during the course of the evening yesterday as the board went into overdrive on the back of hints from nicko that he understood there was an imminent move for two strikers in the offing.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

[...]

Nicko on the rovers website someone has said that their sources have said that we are going to break our transfer record on Gignac. Apparently, his sources were right on Ince, Allardyce, Givet, Andrews, N'Zonzi, Jacobsen and Santa Cruz.

I wouldn't dismiss it as an idea...but he isn't claiming Givet, Andrews or Santa Cruz...certainly not at this time of night and in my present frazzled state.

UNLESS IT'S THE CHAIRMAN TESTING THE WATER.

Thursday morning

Nicko, appreciate your insight, but how come you are suggesting you would tell us the name of the striker if you knew him, even though you teased us about Mr. X and Mr. Y for quite a few weeks before letting the cat out of the bag.

Has a bid been lodged?

Because if I get the name I think it is about to be done and I can crash out the story.

Mister X had to be kept back for reasons you know - until the time was right.

Mister Y was always going to kick off a football version of Armageddon.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 07:30 today. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was very active on the thread yesterday evening and that once again over 10 pages were added during that period.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Been working all day 'behind enemy lines' as you would call it...although I wouldn't.

No clues about the target at my end but some interesting names being pitched in.

Back on the dog-and-bone for the rest of the night.

Is Diego Forlan one of those names?

No...he would cost about £25 million.

Who are the interesting names Nicko - do they all follow a similar trend as in Target man, and can finish better than Roberts ?

Hope you have a sweet deal on that telephone !

I am hearing that several have been asked about, figures discovered and availability checked...

But the net may have been widened to more than just the 'big and ugly' ones.

It's all a bit hectic.

ah, so we aren't close to even making a bid for someone then, as it might seem

I think that one 'offer' has been made, but there are so many calls being made that there is even more going on here than first thought...like more players leaving and more players coming.

The last 24-48 hours have been slightly mental.

can we expect a 11 o clocker tonight?

At this stage, probably better not to do one.

There are too many jigsaw pieces around right now and nothing is fitting.

No point in adding to that by mentioning names and calls that I know about until the whole thing makes more sense.

I'm not writing a story myself yet and we know people lift stuff off here, so I know it won't help me - and I don't think it would help the process with your club either.

What I do know is that it has been frantic since the 'summit' on Tuesday, a lot of things have happened and yet nothing concrete is in place.

[...]

Around 50 hrs and counting then. To find and write that story on rovers record signing. ;)

I promise I'm not keeping anything back...this has been a rollercoaster day or so...I think at the end of it you will 'do your brains' on a striker because I know the similarities and nature of the targets and calls...

There is definitely a mood within the camp to do something really big...probably to kill the spectre of Kevin Davies and also [don't laugh] because your neighbours have been spending.

I also have a lot of vibes about other interest in your players...but until that gets concrete I will leave it alone.

It's suddenly become a very lively time around the place.

[...]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 07:30 today. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was very active on the thread yesterday evening and that once again over 10 pages were added during that period.

I can think of several players I wouldn't mind going in order to let Sam bring in some newer faces or have some more wages free to bring in a bigger name. The only player i think we must 100% keep is Samba, the guy is going to become world class. Selling Samba would really, really ###### me off.

NOT Samba.

Junior Hoilett has won his appeal, will get a work permit and can play for Blackburn Rovers.

[...]

The committee sat today and the kid has got a break.

Good for them.

I know the criteria for permits have changed and, to be honest, he was right up against it. But it is a bit of a special case.

Looking forward to seeing him.

Looking forward to seeing unleaded's head explode on this too because I believe he is the lad's number one fan.

nicko. since we now will get hoilett, do we really need di santo, and now we really don't need gallagher or rigters.

i think we will see two strikers leave soon..

maby this caused all the "circus" today, because now sam might just need one very good striker, and probably will be buying a good box to box midfielder..

Hoilett is a different player to di Santo. It won't affect that deal.

However a new and exciting young attacker is always welcome...and the kid seems to be that.

Good luck to the boy and whoever found him. Hope he lives up to the expectations.

Question for anyone in the know, slightly off topic but I dunno where else to put it. When a club puts in an official bid for a player is there a set format it's done in? Is a partially completed contract sent over or what?

I've always wondered and wanted to see an offical offer to see how its presented.

Clubs usually only 'bid' if they know they are signing the player for the price or close to it.

A lot of 'bids' are verbal and never go to the written stage because there is too much of a difference in valuations.

I hope the mystery striker is oscar cardozo. I have watched his goals last season and he looks fantastic!!

He is brilliant in the air (to be expected at 6 foot 4inches but there again Crouch is C**p), he is fast, has two good feet and he hammers the ball home ala shearer.

What more could we ask for?

Please tell me Nicko that He is one of the names in the frame.

I think he is, but his price is silly. And that is something that has been discovered in the past 24 hours or so.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update #3 of 3

As excited as I am about Hoillet i imagine he is in the same camp as Elrio, ie spend a good 6 months or so bulking up and getting used to a more physical game in the reserves and get a chance maybe in the cup tournaments at first.

then again Hoillets pace may warrant him a place on the bench earlier. He reminds me of Wright Phillips (in stature and style)

I know from the case put forward that this kid is seen as being a Premier League squad man from a pretty early stage.

That was one factor in the process and I don't think the club was lying about this...although time will tell how good he is.

It would have been wrong to deny him this chance, but it's now up to the lad.

Nicko : is one of 'Appy 'Arry's left wing targets Pedersen by any chance ?

Accyrover

No.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 07:30 to 15:30 today. For a summary of events from yesterday afternoon up to 07:30 this morning, please see the early morning update above. Note that nicko was active on the thread today as per below. This brief digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Still trying to catch my breath on Owen...some things just amaze you and have no grounds to them...how can he be Man U's solution after the players they short-listed?...why have scouts?...just be glad you didn't get him - not for you.

Latest on the striker search is that several - about seven or eight - names have been the subject of calls to clubs and agents...and nothing is sorted yet...but we are talking potential record buys here...no point in going into names until something becomes more solid...look out for some of them leaking out from the other end [around Europe]...

And, on a different and much flatter note, Sheff U are the club after Tommy Smith at Watford.

Going to be ultra-busy today with the day job.

On Rothen...I think he is fed up waiting...and I can't say I blame him.

ROTHEN...seems to be fed up waiting on Rovers giving him a commitment - he needs that before he settles up his contract at PSG - and the club won't do it until they have other positions sorted out...so he could go elsewhere.

HOILETT...decision was made yesterday...not my fault the local paper is slow.

STRIKERS...is a very hot subject just now...and very messy...Sam saying he 'would wait' is probably because he has discovered that the targets he wanted are even more expensive than feared...but I would watch for developments a lot sooner than that.

[...]

Lancashire Telegraph, 3 July 2009

Big Sam: We may wait till end of window for new Blackburn Rovers striker

thanks to den for the link

Concern over the meaning of Sam's comments reported in today's Lancashire Telegraph prompts the following response from nicko:

Cool the civil unrest a bit...there are a lot of things being tried right now...and a few home truths being discovered about the cost of players...some major decisions about to be made...so nobody at your club is sitting on their hands or syphoning off cash for the bank or trustees or whoever...there are some serious attempts being made here...so just be patient...it won't go on until the final day...

Do some of the names you've heard give you any confidence that we're on the right track? From a Rovers fan's perspective that is (we all know you love the club ;))

I would say the last 48 hours has been an education for many within the club...now that calls are being made and prices checked it is becoming obvious that even £7 to £8 million won't get you much...some ferociously important decisions to be made here.

The only thing I would say is that it's a good job you got such a big wedge for Roque.

And, even more so now than before, £5 million for a seasoned proven Premier striker is a bargain...but £10 million is too much.

Forgot to mention...Gignac is likely to go to Lyon as Benzema's replacement...although Toulouse are holding out for fortunes...think he was one of those you sniffed around.

It's a tough old game right now.

Negredo is being offered to Liverpool as part of the Alonso swap deal...oh dear...think he was on the Rovers list too....good players are hard to pin down.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread, although it also includes a brief exchange on David Hoilett's work permit situation taken from the David Hoilett thread. Please note also that a degree of editing of the posts has been undertaken for the sake of clarity only.

[...]

You have gone in for some very good players in the last few days...and discovered how hard this is going to be...

With all due respect I could never see Gignac coming to Rovers, but someone like Negredo was realistic - you never know Liverpool might not want him and you could step in.

If you think the transfer market is an easy place you are kidding yourself. Rovers are trying hard here and confirming some of their darkest fears.

By the way there may some slashing of wrists tomorrow when some news creeps out, but I would advise you relax about this one. Can't say any more just now.

Nicko, that doesn't sound good please don't let it be about anyone leaving?

NOT a story about a player leaving.

Some five hours of speculation ensues until the early intervention of the Eleven O'Clocker:

The Early Eleven O'Clocker

VIERI...is the name that I was referring to...from a decent source in Italy he IS due to go to Austria to do some training and see if he can impress...there is a feeling he is doing this to attract another club in Italy, but we shall see...if he is anywhere near fit he is worth a look, although that is a very big if...I wouldn't worry about it much either way, he could come, he could go, he might not even show...but the story has 'legs' according to a chum who is no fool...

INCE...yes, he is back at MK Dons...and that will impact you...but I want to know more about that before committing to print...

OWEN...seems Fergie decided to go for him on Wednesday after deciding he could not land one of his top targets because they were all in the £40 million league and he wasn't sure [a] they would come and justify the cash...however he still wants one and will wait for his moment...Everton are spewing...full details of why may come out in the Sunday People...

In other news there is a very strange Pompey story coming out, but I will leave that for now.

Nicko, now Ince is back in a job, how will that affect any compensation payments from Rovers??

Good question to which I have no answer. I would have thought he was paid off in one chunk rather than in stages, but you never know.

Fair play to the guy, he has decided to go back to work rather than sit on his butt. I admired that in him when he went to Macclesfield too.

Made a bit of a hash of it at Rovers, but life goes on.

[...]

Ince's return to MK Dons also raises the question of whether he would want to take Karl Robinson back there to join his backroom staff.

MIDFIELD...can't really be touched just now until you see how much is left after the striker movement.

ROBINSON...is wanted by Ince and will probably go...so you will need someone else...compo not an issue on either of those fronts.

EVERTON...spewing because Moyes was sure it was done and had every right to do so until Fergie stepped in...think they are getting Jo no matter what.

VIERI...some people round here go into wrist-slashing mode at anything...in his case I thought there would be great moral outrage...but if it's only a quick look then no-one can really grumble.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread, although it also includes a brief exchange on David Hoilett's work permit situation taken from the David Hoilett thread. Please note also that a degree of editing of the posts has been undertaken for the sake of clarity only.

So will we recieve money though and will Robinson not think erm... Premiership or League 1

Also Nicko who will Big Sam get in to replace him? Sbragia.....

I might know about this before Sam, to be honest. It only started developing about a couple of hours ago.

If the guy wants to go he will leave...but, as for a replacement, that is anyone's guess...and you may have got the right one if past form is anything to go on.

Chelsea tie up Sturridge signing

So one would assume Di Santo should be on his way shortly...?

Rovers have first call on the player, so once Ancelotti gets the English for 'see you later, alligator', he will be off.

Sturridge to Chelsea? Now where did we hear that first?

Mr Nicko Sir........

I dont suppose a few names of who we have inquired about and cant afford, and a few names of who are still in the frame is a little too much to ask ??????

(I know the answer already, but no harm in trying......)

Accyrover

GIGNAC...£10 million or so...French international...likely to stay there in World Cup year...Lyon are favourites.

CARDOZO...£10 - 12 million...Benfica looking to cash in...very good player, but very dear.

NEGREDO...£8 million-ish...but Real want to shunt him to Liverpool in the Alonso deal and they seem to be taking an interest...like him, but won't choose Rovers ahead of Liverpool.

DAVIES...£10 million [at least]...loved by the manager, not so popular elsewhere...who knows what the future holds with him?

BENT/CROUCH...stupid fees, daft wages...considered and ignored some time ago.

JANKO...£6 million...you could do better but you may end up with him.

ZIGIC...Valencia want rid...you have not stepped in yet...and that is a good thing.

RUUD...fitness and wages problems well-known and scary.

There are a few others I know about but need to keep under wraps until they start moving even closer.

There's a pretty daft story coming out of Germany about Dortmund and Hoffenheim being after Big Chris.

I would not get too worried about that one.

[...]

Negredo is off the radar whilst Real Madrid are using him as a pawn in their Alonso game with Liverpool. But he would be an extremely interesting player to go for if all that falls through.

I think nicko has suggested that all the targets for striker are over 6 ft. I doubt we will see a nippy little'un turn up.

Over 6ft preferred, but not an absolute necessity now...think that has had to change because of the limited availability of good and cheap big uns...the net has been spread very wide in the past few days.

Nicko:

Do you know if Spurs are also interested in Negredo?

There are a couple of agents trying to sell Real squad men to England...they are close to Spurs as well as Rovers...which is why so many Real players are being mentioned everywhere just now.

Things should start moving at Spurs soon - it seems the Bent price has come down.

[...]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Nicko, that Llorente chap we are linked with - is that the same Llorente chap that played for Spain in the confed. cup and scored against Egypt?

I know in previous posts you have ruled out a move for Bent/Crouch - too high wages, but is Beattie still on that list or is that one we can forget?

What about Progrebnyak - is he on the list? And what about that other russian who came on loan here last year, Valeri Domochivski?

No, different Llorentes.

Bent is still too highly-priced...it will be closer to £15 million before that gets done...there is NO way Spurs drop from £18 million to £10 million in a week.

Crouch will probably go to Sunderland too...he didn't fancy Rovers in January and is a bit reluctant to go to Sunderland now...but money will talk.

Poggie is not a name I have heard lately and the other lad was Bulgarian, went to a club in Germany and is not the level that you need.

I have got to say there are so many names flying around just now that I think the club has probably asked about as many as a dozen - maybe even more. So there is a lot of homework being done, but I don't think there is a favourite just yet.

Although I would love to know why your manager went missing on Friday. ;) Working on that one.

nicko: can you tell me why david hoilett isn't in the squad for the trip to austria?

I believe players who get work permits have to actually leave the country to come back in...presumably that is why...I would imagine he has to go 'home' to Canada and then re-enter.

From the David Hoilett thread

So pardon me for being slightly negative but we've definitely got him have we? :huh:

The tribunal panel met yesterday morning and voted UNANIMOUSLY for him to get a work permit.

The LET will break the story next week at some stage...no doubt.

Why did we get a permit? Why did we get special treatment? Its unusual! Any ideas nicko?

The panel was made up of football people who heard the background story and realised it was an exceptional case...he has been attached to Rovers for five years...it's not like it's some fly-by-night scam...the club has a connection with the player and he has with the club.

Very unusual, but that's how it went...there was categorically NO political pressure.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

SAM'S MYSTERY TRIP...is off to Portgual for a Bobby Robson 'do' and some golf...word reaches me he may miss the trip to Austria as that is only for fitness work...and hopefully he has calls to make on strikers.

BELLUSCHI...his agent Pini Zahavi wants the Portsmouth move to happen, so the move may well happen because of his connections with their current and next owner.

So if Vieri is training with us in Austria, Sam isn't there to see it? Seems odd if that's the case, and implies a decision is largely made before it even starts.

I believe the Austria trip is just for fitness and conditioning...waiting on word about the arrival of trialists...

Not sure that Sam is meeting Cardozo or his people...the bash is a tribute to Robson and has been arranged for some time.

One small piece of transfer news...

Brian Hodge has gone from Rovers to the mighty Partick Thistle on a free. Missed out on joining Hibs when Mixu Paatelainen was sacked and also trained at St. Mirren. Has signed for 'one team in Glasgow' as replacement for the late departed Gary Harkins also once of this parish.

Wish him well? What do you think?

There won't be an 11 o'clocker because I don't have any Rovers lines for you. An awful lot of things going on, but no need to clutter the board.

Paul Quinn to Cardiff and Ronald Zubar to Wolves today makes it 26 for the window, which is known as a 'Jack Bauer on overtime' in the trade.

In response to a request from they_think_its_all_rover, nicko gave a summary of the current targets of the Premier League teams.

Just a small note on how prices have gone stupid...

Hamburg are signing the Dutch winger Eljero Elia who was watched by Rovers this time last year. He was about £2 million's worth then...and he has just moved for around £7 million.

Crazy.

[...]

nicko you said more players to leave do you have an idea which ones and is anyone sniffing around them....?

thanks....

If you get players in there is a chance that one or two could go...will wait until things move before getting more specific...this could be a busy one.

Nicko, we're linked to Viduka, along with Fulham. Any real interest or is that entirely his agent's doing?

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...5415664,00.html

Saw that and laughed...if Sam gets stung by him twice then the game has gone.

Mark Viduka has 2 offers from very good premier league clubs - any ideas who?!

If he had he would have signed by now...classic 'come and get me' mystery baloney.

How many games did he play last year?

Laughed out loud at the use of the word 'hungry' in the story.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Some interesting Rovers-related info to add...

ARNAUTOVIC...Inter are trying to take him on loan and use his 'injury' as an excuse to do the deal that way and not pay the rather large £10 million fee...Rovers did have a look...but out of your league.

BERG...my Swedish chum tells me he will probably go to Bayern Munich...for a lot of cash.

CARLOS TENORIO...an intriguing one...he was talking to Rovers about coming on a free transfer a couple of weeks ago I now learn...seems he was chased but went to Al Nasr for fortunes...interesting player, big Ecuadorian who has been a star in the Middle East and wants to stay there...entirely up to him.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is a fairly brief summary of the thread and has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Big Chris Samba

News yesterday afternoon of Chris Samba's rather innocent comments reported in the French press led to several pages of frenzied speculation about his imagined departure.

Nicko, what do you make of Samba's comments?

Poorly translated from French...when did the Big Man ever say 'calm and waiting'?

Linked with Dortmund and Hoffenheim in French press who then followed it up...can't see him wanting either of those.

Backroom Staff

Any further news on the potential backroom staff changes? Knowing how much emphasis Sam puts into training, preperation etc, this signing is just as important as any player coming in.

Robinson will go and with Sam off the training trip that leaves Neil McDonald and a few men in white coats to my reckoning.

Definitely a need for more staff now.

Hoping for Ricky Sbragia to come in....

Interestingly Sbragia was the guy who lined up the signing of the Paraguayan centre half Da Silva who is about to sign...so perhaps he still has a say and a part to play at Sunderland.

Nicko any news on who will replace Robinson? (the coach) surprised to see him being touted as Ince's number two and will further add speculation about the Ince/Mathias thing. From what i gather the MK Dons fans wanted Mathias back as they saw him as the real brains behind Ince.

What about Toni Vastic, Rovers and some others clubs were linked to him a while back? Any news on that?

Sam wanted Ricky Sbragia last time, so the message is 'Ricky, don't lose that number' I suppose...I think it will be him.

Vastic looks like coming at some stage.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was very active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is a fairly brief summary of the thread and has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Di Santo Update

Whats happening with Di Santo?

Sounds like there may be some Chelsea internal politics - but no great worry. I think he is going on tour with them rather than Rovers. But still should be good to go after that.

Don't want to think what would happen if that fell through and you needed to buy TWO strikers.

Nicko : how come we have first refusal on Di Santo ? YOU ASKED FIRST THIS SUMMER AND YOU ASKED NICELY PLUS I UNDERSTAND HE WILL BE PLAYING FOR YOU - WHICH IS WHAT CHELSEA WANT IN THE DEAL

Is he really that good that we can quite happily take him on loan, give him a season in the Prem, and then hand him back to Chelsea much more of a finished article ? THAT'S THE DEAL...IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE IT IS A TOTAL STEAL

We will be in the same position as we are now, ie: light on strikers but potentially with less money. Does it not make sense to buy a striker or aquire one on a free, rather than getting one in for a 12 month loan period, no matter how good he supposedly is ? IF HE COMES AND DOES WELL THEN YOU SHOULD BE IN A HEALTHY LEAGUE POSITION...NEXT SUMMER CAN LOOK AFTER ITSELF...THERE MAY BE MORE STRIKERS AVAILABLE THEN THAN THERE ARE NOW

[...]

Inside Story

Will there be an 11 o'clocker tonight Nicko?

No, lots of daft wee things happening but nothing worth staying up for.

Might be a very big story hitting football world later in the week. But I can't say just yet.

;)

I can't say what the tale is but it is a very interesting one...I would love to go into some detail but there are people who keep an eye on titbits and can let you down. I can't write it just now because I've been sworn to secrecy on this for the moment.

There could be an announcement on this on Tuesday - but it is relating to something that happened just over a month ago.

It will be the first time this has happened and it will be interesting to see how football handles it.

Hoping to be able to write this but it is a very hard one to touch until it goes 'official.'

Rest assured it doesn't affect your club but it will cause an awful lot of talk...and raise some serious questions.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Vieri and Ruud

Nicko, im getting tired of the Vieri link. Is there any truth in it?

[...]

I am still waiting on word about whether he showed up at the weekend or not. The Austria trip sounds like a lot of fitness work rather than football training.

STURRIDGE...always wanted to go to Chelsea...top-four glamour and all that...ended up signing for less than Man City offered...but the kid just thought he had a better chance there...Rovers never really in with a chance...no worries.

VIEIRI...oh, I see he did come after all...official denials...local paper denials...but the big chap is in Austria...we shall see how that works out.

RUUD...a tentative inquiry through a third party...so the agent hawking around now knows about it...hmm...anyone bother to call Real or check on his fitness?...that might be a better move.

You always have to bring us back down to earth don't you Nicko :P .

If Ruud wants to take a massive pay cut and his knee is ok it would be a terrific signing.

But those are two 'ifs' that I just can't buy at the moment.

I would applaud him loudly if he did come in, but right now it might be better to focus on players who are more likely to come within the budget.

Negredo Update

What about Negredo Nicko, any thing more about the "move to Spurs" or the swap to Liverpool?

Are we still in the frame?

He's a Real Madrid player, so they can decide where to put him...and they think the Liverpool move is the best thing for them...to help out in the Alonso deal.

You will have to wait until that one is settled.

Final Round-Up

Nicko - is anything Rovers related happening?! Has Sam joined up with the Austria camp?

It seems to of gone very quiet.... what happened to Zurab leaving?

Vieri on trial, which is more than interesting.

Sam is playing golf in Portugal while the players do their press-ups.

No joy in signing market. Think there have been some near misses and others where you are in the queue.

No latest on Zurab...he may have been jilted.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was not active on the thread at all from yesterday afternoon until late morning today, since when he has been very active. Note also that over 15 pages have been added in the last 24 hours. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

nicko started the day on the board by explaining his absence and commenting on the item of news that he had been hinting at: Sheffield United's Paddy Kenny testing positive for drugs after the play-off semi-final victory over PNE.

Eleven hours being a white van man, a crashed mobile and away from my laptop...oh dear.

The biggie is out. I thought the football-related issues here were even bigger...like where does it leave the play-offs etc. But that's just me. Imagine if they had been promoted? Ouch.

I don't think a player has been banned like this before after this level of game. It certainly shocked me when I heard.

In other news.

VIERI - heard confusing news before the moby went down that he HASN'T turned up...at the point of giving up on this one.

STRIKER - I think Rovers have missed out or been priced out of everyone they have asked for...think I said before this is a tough market.

DI SANTO - it's a waiting game, but there's not much you can do.

You'd prefer Davies? But Davies would be our main signing, Hesselink would be backup to the main signing. It's totally different. If anything he's an alternative to Vieri.

I have to admit I'd be very happy with him coming on a free. With Sam looking at players like Vieri and Hesselink you have to wonder where the Di Santo deal is going though, unless Benni and/or Roberts is being lined up to leave.

Point one...where is the main signing?...it's proving rather elusive.

Point two...van Hesselink is very very ordinary...if you even thought about him you would need locking up.

Point three...Di Santo should be done...he is now very much a priority which is why I said in the first place that it is some business considering the market.

Nicko you said that we are all getting too worked up over this and yet now more or less point out that we're back to square one with regards to our striker search. Of course there's going to be concern as we've been here all too often - with last year being an example.

There were moves being made that would have smashed your signing record. They are [a] too expensive or going elsewhere or [c] still possible.

Important few days.

Sam Allardyce will be on sky sports news soon talking about search for a forward, not interested in RVN but interested in peter Crouch

[...]

I think somebody needs a right good reality check at the moment.

Ruud could never have happened on those wages.

Crouch is £14 million plus £75,000-a-week.

Somebody taking the mickey with this stuff?

how much money do we have left nicko?? it seems we are being priced out of every striker we want, surely we can not have £13 mill left..

[...]

It's not just the fee, it's the wages. You seem to be aiming in the £7 to £8 million market and finding it hard. You could go over the top to the £10 to £12 million range but they also come with £3-4 million-a-year contracts.

This is not an easy vacancy to fill.

Makes me laugh at people who thought Kevin Davies would have been too much at £5 million...although I agree that £10 million or so is too much for him.

nicko's comments on his attempts to confirm Vieri's attendance or otherwise at the training camp in Austria:

I said I got contrasting stories yesterday before my moby ran out...I did say on Friday here and in Saturday's paper that he was invited...a helpful PMer and your local paper said he had arrived over the weekend...then I heard from someone actually in Austria that he hadn't showed - yet.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was not active on the thread at all from yesterday afternoon until late morning today, since when he has been very active. Note also that over 15 pages have been added in the last 24 hours. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

It's driving me a bit mental right now. I have never known your club chase so many players in such a short space of time - and those are only the fraction I know about.

No complaints about their efforts, but it is confirming some fears about the current striker market.

And, you can't say 'we should have planned ahead' because that just doesn't happen.

Ask Fergie or Michael Owen. Some things happen on impulse...and in a day.

Or even Eric Cantona, the most inspired signing ever and yet a total accident.

Nicko, you reckon we have £7-8 million to spend on a striker? If so where has the rest of the money gone, it was reported we had roughly £13 million? Thought Sam wanted to get the striker situation sorted and if there was some cash left over perhaps bring in another central midfielder...

I think that is the range you were hoping to spend when you asked about players last week...but they are even more expensive than that as we speak...and other, bigger clubs are either in for them or being 'used.'

It is frustrating.

But imagine how the Rovers management feel?

Nicko

There doesn't seem to be many big transfers going on at any club at the minute

Are all clubs having similar problems with inflated prices?

Yes, fair point. Big prices, limited quality talent out there.

However your [Rovers] need for a striker is fairly acute.

who would you think is our first choice striker now nicko?

[...]

do you know when hoilett will be officially announced?

If I knew that I would have written it.

No idea why the club is being so sluggish with the Hoilett news...but, to be fair, their case to the panel was very professional.

ok. so do you know if hoilett has joined the rest of the team already?

I believe he had to leave the country, probably to Canada, get his visa/permit processed and then return...so it's an 'any day now' job.

The main thing is you will finally get to see him in a Rovers strip soon.

I can almost hear unleaded blubbing with emotion on that one.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

The manager's comments on Sky were quite revealing.

Ruud isn't fit. Shock.

Crouch is only a 'distant' job.

And he spoke of Vieri like a long-lost son...which only adds to that plot...like who was telling the local paper it was a non-starter.

We live in strange times.

Nicko any news on Shikabala joining training ?

I've not heard of any trialists actually turning up to Austria [Vieri is he/isn't he excepted].

A lot of trialists came after the 'fitness test' week last summer...Castillo and even Villanueva were later arrivals.

Nicko, personally I agree it's highly debatable as to whether Crouch is actually worth 14m and 70k p.w. etc. but ................

IF the manager rated him that highly and given the fact Sam's sold 2 strikers for 18m whose wages probably exceeded 70k p.w. by some margin, why should a move for Crouch be so hypothetically out of the question?

Rovers would not pay that fee or those wages. It is a £29 million deal if he stays for four seasons.

And as Crouch didn't want to know in your hour of need - a bit like the Poggy joker in Russia - I would not give him the second chance.

Plus of course 're-sale value' - but that is another story.

nicko, putting aside any names mentioned who are/have been speculated targets, are there any players available that you feel we are missing looking into that would match our criteria? do you feel there are areas the club have missed looking into?

I think a close listen to Sam's interview might reveal something quite big about the current thinking...

Surprised no-one picked up on this.

Pretty sure Sam said something about 'waiting to see what players become available when other clubs have signed someone.' Or words to that effect.

[...]

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,237...5418988,00.html

A link to watch the interview. The first part is interesting enough, as nicko says.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Closing of Part 2 of Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic thread

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to the closure of the thread yesterday evening. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Kenwyne Jones

Transfer talk on the thread revolved around the identity of the striker that nicko thought Sam was hinting at in his interview with Sky Sports News earlier in the day (see previous digest for discussion).

What about that guy at Sunderland? The tall one, can't remember his name.

It was said today that Steve Bruce is going to splash £25m on a new forward line.

How much do you reckon that guy is valued at?

Tonight's star prize I think.

What do you mean?

I have had a long hard day at work and couldn't remember his name.

I think you will find Kenwyne Jones was the striker Sam nearly let slip today...he is definitely a new and live name on the list...if Bent and Crouch go to Sunderland.

But you'd hardly call Jones the finished article either would you?

It's not down to me. I have to stress that. :lol:

Jones ticks a lot of boxes as far as the manager is concerned. I'm not writing it yet, but I think you will find his name is very close to the top of the pile as we speak.

Did Spurs not bid £15 mill for him in last window and were turned down. Do you really see him being sold for less than that now?

The Spurs bid was never that much...as usual with them it's all smoke and mirrors.

Sunderland have a new manager who wants two top front-line strikers, so maybe he isn't too enthusiastic about Jones.

And, I should point out, Sam and Brucie are very close pals and would share such secrets.

Especially when you recall they spent the weekend together in Portugal.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Opening of Part 3 of Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic thread

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 3) thread covering the period from the opening of the thread yesterday evening to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was only briefly active on the thread during this period.

No late one tonight...just a couple of snippets.

Jones is on the list, but it's still anyone's guess who Rovers actually sign.

Heard that Hull went in for Kevin Davies - which Bolton deny - but I don't think we have heard the end of that saga.

[...]

According to Skysports Transfer Clockwatch (according to a poster on a norwegian board):

"Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce is looking for quality not quantity as he looks to strengthen his squad ahead of the new season. Rumours has it that Big Sam is turning his eyes to Norway with both Skjelbred and Tettey, two youngs guns playing for Champions league regular outfit rosenborg."

Anything to this, Nicko?

I don't think so...the main thrust is for a top striker...and it sounds like it's a 'wait and see' on someone who could become available.

If it is a wait and see, why is Sam still here, surely he should be in Austria with the squad ?

He never had any plans to watch them running round the track and doing sit-ups, to be fair.

Archived