BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

Will Fred play in the fourth?

"The Flintoff factor is becoming a double-edged sword for England - Australia will continue to fear and respect him so long as he remains in the side, but it's becoming increasingly hard for the selectors to know how best to deal with such a talismanic figure. Though Strauss suggested that his momentum-seizing innings of 74 had been a bonus, the reality is that it muddied the waters even further. Had Flintoff merely been performing as a pace man, then Steve Harmison could step in at Headingley as a like-for-like replacement. Instead, to rest Flintoff on Friday with the Ashes up for grabs would risk unsettling the entire balance of the current team." - Cricinfo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Englands squad announced for the fourth test;

Strauss

Cook

Bopara

Bell

Collingwood

Prior

Flintoff

Swann

Onions

Sidebottom

Anderson

-----------

Harmison

Trott

Broad

Drop Broad and include Sidebottom. Questions will be raised over Feeddie's fitness on this back-to-back tests.. I guess Broad/Harmison comes into the mix.

Has anyone read this article?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8185339.stm

I dont think its the fans that are the problem, its the stewarding and people trying to make a name from themselves. I went last year to the SA one dayer and quite a lot of people were taken out of the ground for nothing much. going to any sporting event in a few years will be prison like if they keep this power tripping surge up I would have thought the authorities would have realised by now that the stewards cause more trouble and make things worse.

If people are out of order then they should be told so and if it happens again then thrown out, but for things like conga lines, certain costumes and a flag run ? these people are treated worse than terrorists are allowed!!

Has anyone read this article?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8185339.stm

I dont think its the fans that are the problem, its the stewarding and people trying to make a name from themselves. I went last year to the SA one dayer and quite a lot of people were taken out of the ground for nothing much. going to any sporting event in a few years will be prison like if they keep this power tripping surge up I would have thought the authorities would have realised by now that the stewards cause more trouble and make things worse.

If people are out of order then they should be told so and if it happens again then thrown out, but for things like conga lines, certain costumes and a flag run ? these people are treated worse than terrorists are allowed!!

Couldnt agree more, read the article in the paper today in utter disbelief.

One quote from one of the head stewards (I think) at Headingley said something along the lines of "We need to cater for the people that want to watch cricket, not just the people that come to enjoy themselves."

We need to cater for the people that want to watch cricket, not just the people that come to enjoy themselves

With the booing, it is a contest and if people want to boo thats fine, but i bet these people will also clap him when he leaves the field. Its not like the hatred of people like Cristiano or Cole.

I see this morning other people have been quick to jump on the bandwagon about this issue. The ECB should be loving the passion and popularity of the game at the moment, not trying to deter these fans.

Wasn't it tongue-in-cheek booing?

sounds like a limp-wristed mincing over-reaction to me.

So, people who go to watch teh cricket aren't there to enjoy themselves? Nuts.

I'm about as far away from being a fan of Ricky Ponting as its possible to be, but I have the utmost respect for his reaction to this. He did his best to diffuse it - unfortunately, as seems to be the case these days in many walks of life, there were a queue of people waiting to express their outrage on his behalf.

Flops is right, I don't like Ponting because I am scared stiff every time he walks out. The man has the ability to not only stop us winning, but actually beat us single handedly. I've got no doubt he knows that and thats how he manages to take the booing in the right spirits.

It's just so inconsistent. Recently all we've been hearing is fears for the future of test cricket. Twenty20 is popular, and test cricket is apparently suffering, so it needs to be made more attractive. Then this comes up. What with this and the apparent letter from the Aus authorities to their boys about laying off the sledging, we're all getting way too precious.

"limp-wristed mincing over-reaction" is just about the perfect way to describe it.

I don't see a problem with the booing and the man himself said its just part and parcel of the game.

I see its looking likely that Flintoff might not make it, if he isn't bowling at full strength then its not worth selecting him. Better to rest him and get him as fit as possible for the final test, though the fear i guess is that if Australia win this test then they could take the momentum going into the final test.

Going to be interesting to see what changes they make if Flintoff isn't fit enough. Bring in Trott as another batsmen? bring in the harmlessone? Sidebottom? drop Swann and go with an all pace attack? (can't see that happening myself, but its not unheard of to drop a spinner at Headingley).

Ideally i'd like to see Broad dropped and sent back to the county scene for a bit, i know we will lose his batting but his bowling has been really average. If Flintoff is out though i can't see him being dropped.

I would have played an extra batsman.

I have no faith in Harmison whatsoever - talented but heart the size of a pea.

He has a point to prove, this isnt about long term, we only have to win one test match. It could be inspired.

Archived