BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If North made the catch on the last ball, Ponting may have pushed for the extra half hour..

Interesting article on Clarke and the role he should be playing.. Clarke to play No.3 (after Ponting)

Will Flintoff be playing in the fifth test at the oval? I think Warne was advocating the recall of Rob Key to No.3 and dropping Bopara.. Is Key the answer?

Well and truly beaten today and a shame it wasn't over in 2 days as we don't deserve to be playing any longer.

The quicker it's over the quicker we can regroup, it's not all over, we know we can beat Australia, we just need to remember how to do that again and try and get some confidence back, it's going to be difficult but it's certainly not out of the question. Bopara got a poor decision today but I don't think that's enough to save him, he has to go, I think Warney's right that at the moment he isn't mentally prepared enough, he can't score tough runs, (Hopefully Bopara can come back when he's ready) but for now we have to change something.

I'm not sure who the answer is, Key, Trott, Carberry, Shah perhaps, picking anyone is going to be a gamble but continuing with Bopara is just as much of a gamble. Bell is almost under as much pressure but might survive due too not wanting to completley overhaul the middle order.

I know the answer get Michael Vaughan out of retirement, can't do any worse than Bopara he's been absolutely clueless in all of his innings in this Ashes series.

England's middle order is terribly weak compared to that of the Aussies. Ponting, Clarke and North look a class above any English batsman at the moment. If England are somehow going to win the last test at The Oval it's going to be through the bowling attack pulling out something special.

Guest Kamy100

Got to hand it to the Aussies they have been ruthless in this test match and have exposed the weaknesses in the England side.

Hopefully England can regroup and make a fight off it at the Oval, a lot of hardwork needs to be done over the next 2 weeks, my heart still says England but the head says Aussies will be to strong.

Got to agree that's the last we'll see of Bopara for a while. Heard Alec Stewart on the radio earlier : I've heard worse ideas than his for the number 3 spot at the Oval - purely as a one off without any view to the future, Mark Ramprakash. Apparently he's just about the leading batsman in the country at the moment and it's his home ground too.

England's middle order is terribly weak compared to that of the Aussies. Ponting, Clarke and North look a class above any English batsman at the moment.

And there is the problem-North is a journeyman pro, and yet England have turned him into Ted Dexter. Shoddy from England, Aussie have made a par score, but the batsmen made a pigs ear of it to say the least. We need some psychological help at this level.

Ponting should have put Katich on about five overs ago.

If the game was tighter I don't think Ponting would have kept with pace bowlers on both ends especially after a couple of overs of the batsmen going after the bowlers. Not sure it’s the right mentality to take though, don't want to be giving the opposition any confidence going into the next match.

Whats going to be more crushing psychologically? Getting bowled out again for just over a 100 or batting bravely until just after lunch and losing by a smaller margin.

Fun watching us having a slog, at least there has been some enjoyment in this test for us!!

Just makes you wonder even more what the top order were up to.

Quick double ton from Broady and were right back in it ;)

Haha you plonker.

This morning has been fun though, would be brilliant just to make them bat again.

Most depressing sentence ever.

That's it, Johnson finally takes the last wicket. He gets his fiver-for.. England all out in two and a half days.. The Aust pace attack played very well as a unit and all four contributed with the ball. One will obviously have to be dropped for the test at Oval. Hauritz should be back in, so will Clark be dropped? (Lee has no chance of playing in this series now)

Great to see Johnson back in form.. His spell last night before stumps, was absolutely superb.

Entertaining fight back from the English tail.. Broad has played a real blinder in this test.. My opinion of the guy has changed..

Series all square at 1-1

Btw - Full points to the selectors on this XI. Watson's inclusion has paid off and going with four quicks has been a real treat.. Also for keeping faith with Johnson throughout this series

Anyone see Justin Langers dossier? Calls Anderson a pussy and says the Aussies should sledge Prior over his wicketkeeping and that Prior has a big ego.

Yeah I saw it, he's clearly a muppet. We're all entitled to our opinions, but there's no need to write it down and 'leak' it to the press.

Am enjoying the coverage on Sky. Great piece about the World Series Cricket in the 70s.

I agree mate, that programme was simply superb but it only describes the tip of the ice berg on how K Packer wanted to change the face of cricket.

I read a book by Packer's associate, his name just escapes me, some years ago, and the programme today brought it all back.

As for The Ashes ? Well both Australia and England have thinking to do and selections will define the final outcome.

Australia can play safe by leaving the same line up or they can gamble by changing Clarke for Hauritz. I think they may well keep the same 11 and trt and win the toss, allowing them to bat ans set a high first innings score.

England have issues big time as well as injury problems. Bopara has to go as well as Collingwood. I would bring Trott in for Bopara, select Foster as W/K bringing Prior to number 4. If Anderson is fit, keep him and Onions and hope Broad can pull of another 6 for. I dont think FF will don the test gear again.

England MUST go out to win and remove the Aussies for a cheap first innings score whilst at the same time addressing their shortcomings with the bat.

at elast the world is now righted and England are being handed a sound thrashing by the colonial types.

Graham Thorpe back for the Oval test, you'll never get him out, the nuggety sod

If only we were 1-0 up still, we could have put Boycott in and played for the draw!

However apparantley Ramps is an option Would certainly be a strange one at 39, first class record has never been questioned and of course he knows the Oval well but never really made it at Test Level despite a lot of chances. Always been a big fan of his though and at least he has some big match experience instead of perhaps throwing Trott in at the deep end.

Archived