BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure Ramps is in with a chance after listening to the full Jeff Miller interview on Sky. He seemed to play it down.

I think Bopara has to make way for Rob Key, he deserves a chance.

If Bell goes then Trott will probably come in.

Cook will be given a (nother?) lifeline.

Interesting to see Keedy in the Lions team, could be a surprise pick if they go for two spinners (i.e. if Fred's fit and the pitch suits).

Gary Keedy is in the Lions? :o

Such a shame he was never given a go by the England side. I'd definitely play him over Panesar and that's without my Lancs bias.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised to see him in the Lions team. He seems to have been overlooked the odd time he's been mentioned with England in the past because of his lack of allround game but that didn't stop them picking Monty who isn't as good a bowler.

Fred is 'fit' for the final test.

Wonder if its just a case that the selectors have to pick him?

If he can bowl 15+ overs per day at 85-90mph without breaking down then fair enough he should be picked. If deep down the selectors know there is a huge chance he will break down or he isn't bowling at full tilt then he shouldn't be selected, no matter how desperate the situation might seem.

The problem with Freddie is if he isn't bowling at full tilt he aint that effective.

Having Flintoff in the team means more then just his bowling and batting ability, he is the life and soul of the English cricket team, the others will perform better just having him around.

In the end though, keep Bopara, Collingwood and Bell or bring in Trescothick, Caddick and Benny Hill doesn't matter, the English batting is not strong enough without the South African.

Sidebottom could be a good inclusion for the fifth.. Very good player.

I'd be surprised if both Bell and Bopara get dropped. Can't make too many changes for the last match in this series. IMV, Bopara I can see being dropped. Colly and Bell should be safe. Freddie will be back, forcing Harmy back to the county circuit.

Cook and Bopara didn't do too well for Essex today.

Cook, Bell, Bopara, on county watch were all out today for single figures, Trott had 16, Key was the only one who really impressed with 90.

Trescothick or Ramps is as good a shout as anyone for the final test at the moment.

Think we'll only change one batsmen, but none of them are safe.

I think we may very well play two spinners, Panesar I guess the most likely coming in for Onions, Harmison probably left out for Flintoff.

Sidebottom could be a wild card. I'm not even sure about Onions or Harmison missing out, we may only go with one spinner I guess. Pity we can't toss up first ;)

With the middle order looking rough I would go with

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Ramps, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Onions

Trott is in good nick, he has no test experience but I think he has much fear.

Ramps could go either way, he didn't do it before but has progressed so much since then. Could all be mental and get on top of him again though.

Freddy in is a no brainer and it has to be for a bowler with such tripe last time.

Those 5 bowlers are capable of getting 20 wickets and the batting line up is capable of 500. Whether they can do it on the day who knows. I would have dropped Broad last match and he was by far and away our man of the match in the end.

I can't see them making two changes to the batting lineup. I think they will drop Bopara for Trott (don't think Key is that well liked by the England hierarchy).

The conditions will dictate whether or not they play two spinners, i think they will go with one and Swann obviously taking the spot. If the pitch is really dry then Panesar will also be picked, though if Keedy has a very decent Lions match they could pick him (unlikely but imo he is a better spinner than Panesar).

My fear though is if Fred breaks down and Jimmy looks out of sorts like he did in the previous test then who is going to take wickets? Broad seems to be rather erratic with his bowling, Onions hasn't bowled that great and neither has Swann (too many full tosses).

A question to the Aussies on the board. What's the media coverage like over there in terms of who should be selected bowler wise for the next test? Any ideas what the selectors will do?

I assume there is a case for leaving it as it is, why change if you have won the previous test especially if they are confident that their quicks can take 20 wickets in the next match? Then there is the issue about bringing in Hauritz, the Oval usually spins. Also if Hauritz is selected who will be dropped? Johnson looking back to his best, Siddle was much improved as well, Clark wasn't that great in the second innings but his contribution was huge in the first innings in terms of pressure (personally think he was the main reason you bowled so well first innings).

A question to the Aussies on the board. What's the media coverage like over there in terms of who should be selected bowler wise for the next test? Any ideas what the selectors will do?

I assume there is a case for leaving it as it is, why change if you have won the previous test especially if they are confident that their quicks can take 20 wickets in the next match? Then there is the issue about bringing in Hauritz, the Oval usually spins. Also if Hauritz is selected who will be dropped? Johnson looking back to his best, Siddle was much improved as well, Clark wasn't that great in the second innings but his contribution was huge in the first innings in terms of pressure (personally think he was the main reason you bowled so well first innings).

If the pitch is likely to spin, then Clark is out, Hauritz comes in. Andrew Hilditch (chief selector) made comments on Clark being 4th choice in the pace attack. Clark was not too impressed by his comments, but played his response diplomatically. Top bloke.

The No's 1-7 will be unchanged. Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus make up the pace attack with Watson as cover.

Tough one for me, as Stuey Clark would always be in the Aust XI.. I must admit, I have been very surprised at the performances of Hilfenhaus in this series.. Did anyone know that he is a cousin of Ponting? Typical Tasmanians.. ;)

Big gamble putting Trott in, but from what I have seen of him, he could be a very good test player.

Hussey seems to be back in sort of form with the bat (the same was said before the first test at Cardiff).. Watson making runs again... Fell just short of his ton.

Slight injury conern for Hauritz, his dislocated finger and ankle pain, may rule him out of the fifth.

Archived