BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

Congratulations to Ricky Ponting for becoming the first ever Australian caption to lose two the Ashes twice.

What sort of topsy-turvy parallel universe do we live in now when the blond-haired toff nancy boy called Stuart Broad becomes Australia's chief destroyer?!? :confused:

If you look at the statistics of the series...which players have scored the most runs..and taken the most wickets..it beggars belief that Australia will lose the Ashes again.

And yet... here we are.

Enjoy the celebrations.

I dont think this match is over. Australia will certainly put pressure on the English batsmen. Australia will know that even a lead of 400 is achievable. The pitch aint the greatest, but a target of 400 with 2 days shouldnt be a problem. Australia is well equipped to get to that sort of total. Forget the 1st innings, give Australia a slight chance for victory and they will take it

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of time to go in this test match, will England bowl as well as they did in the first innings when Australia bat again, for that matter will Australia bat like they did in the first innings.

Still a lot of cricket to be played, anything could happen, knowing England it'll probably rain for 3 days now!

Well, some four years after last winning the Ashes, it could be that tomorrow sees them re-won. Two good sessions from England, and it's all over really.

However, as my sage friend from Brum has reminded us, as England cricket supporters we all know how quickly things can change in this game. Remember Adelaide indeed floppy, and remember Antigua 1994 also.

Giddy up.

Oh god I'd managed to supress '94 you sod

Just spoken to a mate of mine who knows considerably more about cricket than I do, and he's furious (and Australian) with the Aussie players because they batted stupidly and can't blame the pitch which spun, but didnt really misbehave.

He also ahs some very unplesant things to say about the standard of umpiring, both for the decisions that went against Aus (North and Clark) but also the ones that went for them (Watson's LBW that never was) and the no ball wickets (Collingwood and Strauss)

It was interesting watching the odds move back and forth the last couple of days while following the match on Sky. Was tempted to put some cash on England at 2/1 at lunch today, now might be tempted to throw a few quid on Australia.

Seems to be a fickle series. Australia have looked brilliant batting at times and terrible others.

It is so statistically unlikely for Australia to win/save the match now that its as good as gone.

Yes Australia have escaped previously and have humiliated England by snatching victory at the last minute...but that was with a team with McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist et al.

There will be no miracle rescue for Australia over the next few days, especially on that pitch.

It is so statistically unlikely for Australia to win/save the match now that its as good as gone.

Yes Australia have escaped previously and have humiliated England by snatching victory at the last minute...but that was with a team with McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist et al.

There will be no miracle rescue for Australia over the next few days, especially on that pitch.

PG or any of the Australian posters on this board a quick question. Could Ponting lose the captaincy if Australia lose? Could they decide to promote Clarke who has had a great series to the captaincy (i know he is being groomed as the next captain but i assumed that was some time away).

Did they take the mindset into this game that all they needed was a draw and its backfired?

Well after a late night I've ended up missing the first hour's play only to see were another 50 in front with no wickets down, can't complain.

Good stuff so far, another 100 or so and that should really be enough, although England are showing if you are really patient then the pitch isn't as much of a mine field as was made out yesterday.

I'm still so nervous, if we get a lead of 500 I'll still be shyting myself!!

Come on England, you can do it! Captain's knock by Strauss to help lead us home!

Super bowling (and batting again) by Broad making those calling for him to be dropped looking rather silly

Not really. I am more than happy to admit I would have dropped him after the 3rd Test. He offered nothing in that match or the 2 previous. His form has come out of nowhere and all credit to the selectors for sticking with the man with raw talent.

Trott should have been brought in earlier. I have been banging on about him for years and they have finally got him in and he is at ease at the crease.

Big changes coming to the england team with natural wastage and the time to blood some youngsters.

Lead of 300 now. 100 partnership up.

Thankfully we're off now Dirk. Personally I would have waved them in as soon as JT got to 3 figures, but still happy to have this size of a lead and 6 1/2 sessions at them.

Surely we win this from here? Please God.

So, Aus 80-0 at stumps needing 466 more to win over the next two days.

Fascinatingly poised. First session tomorrow is crucial, the longer these two stay in the more they will believe. This is truly what test cricket is all about. Forget the football, there's only one sport worth talking about right now.

Guest Kamy100

Nigh on no chance that the Aussies can make all of these runs, they will need to make history on a pitch that is not batsman friendly, expected them to fight but England will eventually winkle them out.

Archived