BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bryan Hodge

Believe this guy (21) has just gone to St Mirren after a transfer to Hibs fell through. Any body watch a lot of the reserves last season? - is he any good and do you think he can cut it in the SPL?

My boss is a big St Mirren fan and wonders if anyone knows if he could be useful (or not)

He is apparently quite good. He has admitted that he did not take things seriously as a youngster and therefore did not progress. He had a drink-driving incident that got him in a lot of trouble but he claimed to have learnt a lot from that mishap - they all say that though.

He went on loan to Millwall in League 2 and did a good job for them - but nothing exceptional.

Hope he does a Gary Harkins up North.

When I've seen him play for the stiffs I've always been impressed.

He doesn't have much pace but has a great left foot and certainly knows how to read the game in midfield.

It's a shame Rovers were fighting for their lives so late last season because it would have been good to see him given a chance in a couple of games to see whether he is capable of rising to the occasion.

I think he will do a good job in the SPL.

SPLs about his level. Doesn't mind getting stuck in, is a busy player with a tidy pass and decent shot on him. Will do well in the SPL I imagine. However he didn't seem head and shoulders above many other players at reserve level, which suggests to me that he won't make it in the prem.

Mr 6, please take the advice of those well known philosophers KC and the Sunshine Band... Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, baby give it up, give it up, baby give it up. Otherwise I'll bring up Carlos Pirelli and Ciaran Donnelly.

I agree with Blue blood about Hodge.He never stood out as anything other than a steady average midfielder, who would probably find his level lower down the leagues. I hope he does well if his move to the SPL comes off, but he was never exceptional at reserve level and it is unrealistic to think he would make it in the Prem.

Mr 6, please take the advice of those well known philosophers KC and the Sunshine Band... Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, baby give it up, give it up, baby give it up. Otherwise I'll bring up Carlos Pirelli and Ciaran Donnelly.

You are perfectly free to bring up any name up.

I do not claim to be infallible.

Whilst you may bring up Marinelli or Donnelly - I will bring up De Pedro and Ferguson. Two players who I predicted to be bad signings (Ferguson was way too expensive and De Pedro too slow) - and I do not mean to boast but I was in a small minority in doing so. And, I would also add, that Marinelli and Donnelly were exciting young players at one stage - so I feel no shame in arguing that they would be good additions to the Rovers squad.

If they were any cop then they would've re-surfaced somewhere else.

Robbie savage, let go by Man Utd, comes back with Leicester.

Give up your ridiculous fantasy that Rovers have an endless supply of youth players whose natural talent is outrageously discarded by biased management who'd rather play Carlos Moko-ball.

Most of them aren't very good.

I don't care if Padraig Leprechaunelli played for Aer Lingus passengers' sons and daughters under-5's. it's meaningless. It's whether tehy can play at |Premiership level that counts.

give it up, it's tired, repetitious and very very boring.

Yes, Bryan it is boring, I have finally come round to that conclusion. In the end, I am not involved in football management and will never be (surprise, surprise) so I know full well that it is pointless me banging on about something that is so unpopular - a stance widely derided (and misunderstood - I hasten to claim!).

However, one thing that I can't stand is injustice - and this is why, despite myself, I keep coming back and annoying everyone with these comments. I'm convinced that there is a deep injustice in the system. I don't mean to lord it over, irritate or pontificate - it's just a principle of justice (as I see it).

Here and now, I have decided to speak of it no more. I'm either going to send a letter to the club or Trevor Brooking or perhaps, someone closer to home, such as Majiball, who is proactively interested in youth football, setting out my arguments. I will have passed my "pearls of wisdom" on and, having got everything of my chest, I will wash my hands with it all and not bore you on this matter again.

BTW: Good luck to Bryan Hodge at Partick Thistle. I'm sure he'll do as well as Harkins, if not better!

Yes, Bryan it is boring, I have finally come round to that conclusion. In the end, I am not involved in football management and will never be (surprise, surprise) so I know full well that it is pointless me banging on about something that is so unpopular - a stance widely derided (and misunderstood - I hasten to claim!).

However, one thing that I can't stand is injustice - and this is why, despite myself, I keep coming back and annoying everyone with these comments. I'm convinced that there is a deep injustice in the system. I don't mean to lord it over, irritate or pontificate - it's just a principle of justice (as I see it).

Here and now, I have decided to speak of it no more. I'm either going to send a letter to the club or Trevor Brooking or perhaps, someone closer to home, such as Majiball, who is proactively interested in youth football, setting out my arguments. I will have passed my "pearls of wisdom" on and, having got everything of my chest, I will wash my hands with it all and not bore you on this matter again.

BTW: Good luck to Bryan Hodge at Partick Thistle. I'm sure he'll do as well as Harkins, if not better!

I'd be happy to read your idea's. Your right we do need a system of getting our youngsters games, premiership or not.

I have posted previously that the line between success and failure is very narrow, breaks at the right time and more importantly brought through on the right games, then rested and looked after, Everton did it right with Rooney!!

I will, to those who say there is no talent at the academy ask them to do one thing, go to a youth team game at Ewood, dont sit high in the stands, sit at

low level on line with the pitch and notice how quickly the ball is pinged around and the technique and first touch of some of these lads, its much better than you think.

There is still much to be done and the academy will have to be improved if players are going to have a real impact in the first team, dont forget Hoilett, Doran and Judge who I feel can all come good but the major problem for me is this, many managers are so afraid to blood them because, as last season right up to the end, two thirds of the clubs were trying to avoid relegation and the other looking to Europe!!

It does appear as though Sam is giving these lads a look in though and feel there will soon be chnges within the academy to further the progresion of youth.

No its not boring, its the future of our club!!

If they were any cop then they would've re-surfaced somewhere else.

Robbie savage, let go by Man Utd, comes back with Leicester.

Give up your ridiculous fantasy that Rovers have an endless supply of youth players whose natural talent is outrageously discarded by biased management who'd rather play Carlos Moko-ball.

Most of them aren't very good.

I don't care if Padraig Leprechaunelli played for Aer Lingus passengers' sons and daughters under-5's. it's meaningless. It's whether tehy can play at |Premiership level that counts.

give it up, it's tired, repetitious and very very boring.

On the other hand, Nissa, Gresko and the other big wage players that were played instead haven't done anything with their careers since leaving either. The point is that why pay triple (at least) wages for someone who is going to do just as poor of a job? It's especially relevant if you look at the percentage of wages to turnover.

Archived