BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Squad Size

I was thinking about the size of our squad earlier today given that we are linked to more players, and it seems we still have an overly large squad for the number of competitions we are competing in. We could easily put out two teams and have players to spare:

Robinson

Emerton Samba Givet Warnock

Diouf Grella Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic McCarthy

Brown

Jacobsen Nelsen Zurab Olsson

Reid N'Zonzi Andrews Van Heerden

Di Santo Roberts

That still leaves Hoilett, Doran, Gallagher and the players that are out on loan.

It's hard to justify a squad that size when we're not in Europe, we're paying decent wages for players that we're hardly going to use. 'Quality not quantity' springs to mind - we could easily lose three/four of the fringe players, and those wages could be put towards a quality midfielder.

We do have a lot of players on our books, but if you look a little deeper into it, Dunn, Reid & Grella probably wont manage 20 games between them next season, whilst N'Zonzi, Holliet, Doran & Van Heerden are no where near ready to play Premier League football yet.

We definatly need a couple more captures in midfield.

Was thinking the same LeC. I wonder about the likes of Doran and Gally, and also Reid and Grella. Doran might be sent on loan, and Gally sold. Cant see the point in Rothen and Capoue unless one of Warnock or Gamst goes. Squad is still too big

Dunn Grella Reid and Emerton are all going to have problems with injuries i imagine.

Dunn and Grella are always injured, Reid and Emerton are coming back from very lengthy injuries which are bound to have recurrances.

Van Heerden according to BS is not strong enough yet. I dont know about Nzonzi, and how he will adapt to the premiership. So thats basicaly 6 out of 9 midfielders that might be a problem.

Which leaves us with Andrews Diouf and MGP.

Di Santo might be gone in January for all we know, Kalinic hasnt officially signed yet, and Gally is also injured.

We already have our centre backs out for the first game of the season, at least. Which means Givet will play at CB and Olsson as the only cover for Warnock.

As pessimistic as this post might sound I hope that all turns out for the best. I agree with quality over quantity, but to do that we need to spend money (especially midfield) and replace injury prone or players who arent of a good enough standard.

Until then we need to make the best out of what we have, which to be honest when fully fit I think its quite a decent midfield.

Agreed with Shabani about needing the few extra players for cover.

Midfield is possibly a little top heavy. I think we might sign another midfielder, and then allow Gally to leave or Doran out on loan.

Not alot we can do this summer in that area as the players we could have maybe moved on (Reid, Dunn & Grella) have all been unfit and would cost big bucks to get rid of. Next summer will be different and id expect 1 of them at least moving on.

I think the squad size ideally is a little large but then with the injuries that our midfielders seem to pick up it needs to be.

With that being said we can't afford to keep paying people to sit on the treatment table when money is so tight and needs to be invested in improving the playing squad. I have a lot of respect for Dunny and Reid etc and want to see them do well here but it has to be make or break for them this year, they are both approaching the end of their contract and if they are not up to the physical side of the premiership playing 30+ league games a season then we can't afford to be carrying them for when the are fit. We can't afford to keep them on for sentimental value, this year they have to prove they have a future and shouldn't be offered new contracts till at least January in my opinion.

The same should be said for MGP who's contract is ending, obviously injury isn't the problem with him but form is, again for me he has to prove he can earn a new deal.

The wages of Reid, Dunn, MGP must be approaching 100k combined, that money could be used to bring in fit and hopefully on form players.

Our defence is absolutely top notch and our attack looks strong now we've got Kalinic and Di Santo. However, our midfield is bloated with mediocre and injured players. We've needed to shift the dead-wood and bring in quality for three seasons now, but still haven't managed to do it.

If we could keep Dunn fit, then I reckon we now have a squad capable of reaching the top 10. I just cannot see that happening though.

Our defence is absolutely top notch and our attack looks strong now we've got Kalinic and Di Santo. However, our midfield is bloated with mediocre and injured players. We've needed to shift the dead-wood and bring in quality for three seasons now, but still haven't managed to do it.

If we could keep Dunn fit, then I reckon we now have a squad capable of reaching the top 10. I just cannot see that happening though.

Well our midfield has been rubbish for quite some time now. Not one manager has managed to address that creative midfield problem.

I agree that we have a lot of deadwood. But I also believe, based on the team's performance under Sam over the last half of the season and the improvements he has made, that we are already a top half team. If and when the midfield gets sorted out, we'll be a top six team. Personally, I am betting that Sam gets us to 7th, even with the problems we have. We have a canny manager and will do well.

We are carrying too many but only because of injury. Other than run their contracts down, I can't see what else we could do with Dunn, Reid, and Grella who's got a frightening 3 years left on our treatment table at 25000 grand a week(?). Emerton will hopefully be right in a few weeks but that can't be guaranteed. That leaves us unable to afford 2 outstanding central mid-fielders which would transform our team. Everywhere else looks pretty sound.

Well our midfield has been rubbish for quite some time now. Not one manager has managed to address that creative midfield problem.

But one managed to make it significantly worse by selling Bentley and buying Grella.

I don't see why we signed Elrio. Everything, so far, suggests that he will make no impact. Can't get into the poor SA team. Suffered injuries at Club Brugge and didn't play regularly. Now deemed too weak, at the moment, for Allardyce.

And he's 26, I think.

We have Doran, Judge, Olsson, Hoilett as young wing players. There was no need for Elrio.

Archived