BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Buying A New Computer

There is NOTHING that will work on PC that won't work on Mac. Absolutely nothing. And the point about people not bothering to create virus' for Mac, with the insinuation that it's because not enough people use them is too, incorrect.

Mac's are just far more adept at avoiding them. My post was genuine as in asking you to research it as you might find out things you didn't know about Macs, which may push you towards exploring the possibility of buying one.

But seeing as your response was so defensive f*** it, your entire post is wrong.

Moving away from the Mac debate, if you're looking at a Desktop Pc have a look at the Dell Outlet Site. I saved myself over £100 on a laptop this week because there where three little scratches on the lid :tu:

All the machines come with a full warranty just like dell new builds :)

Can't resist.

I work in IT. I use PC's every day. I have 3 PC's in the house. I bought a Mac a year ago. I'm no fanboy. I have no axe to grind.

You want a machine that just works day-in, day-out, no hassle. Mac. Simple as that. Only thing wrong that EVER crashes on it is Microsoft Entourage (Bill's revenge :lol: )

Want a cheaper machine that you need to spend more time maintaining. PC. Simple as that.

Evening all,

Friday has been taken off, and the new computer bought.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30970632@N02/4120971434/

It does the job.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was useful. If only to decide that my needs didn't stretch to a laptop and or a Mac.

£379 from PC World. Compared to the previous dinosaur it's a winner.

Guest Wen Y Hu

"Night in Levenshulme" - is that after rolling out of the gutter?

:lol:

And there's me squinting through the bush to try and make out Rowan Ashton liaising with Lyne from the office. Must refrain from squinting.

Taking photos here in Japan, you are constantly reminded of the presence of overhead wires. They seem to get in every shot. In your [part of the] world, Colin, it would seem you can't get a decent shot of the local town hall without getting a phone booth or mailbox in the way. Pesky things, they are.

Anyway, I enjoyed the photos. I wondered why you have showed such an interest in dillo's work, but now I can see why.

Oh, ... and glad you got sorted out with the computer.

Some nice photos there Colin,. Not that I'm as big a fan as yourself, but did post a letter in Alty a while back in a really old box with 'GR' (one of george's)on the front. Not a mark on it, makes you thing that one of the locals keeps it painted or something.

Any road up I digress, glad to see you took my advice. A nice shiny black basic PC with a widescreen monitor to match. If you need any help in the future just ask ;)

Colin, id say a mac as well. Ive an old power pc, and its still going strong despite only 512mb of ram. However, im only using it for the internet and to store pics and music. I got a 500gb external hard drive, and a dvd recorder. I just plug the external in the dvd and watch movies. Like a few have said, it depends on what you want to do that will decide on what you get. You not interested in games, so Ram and graphics card might not be to much of a problem. However, having enough memory is always important. Id say 2gb Ram is more than enough, with 3gb about the limit for your needs. Try and get at least a 23 inch HD monitor and at least a 250gb hard drive.

Evening all,

Friday has been taken off, and the new computer bought.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30970632@N02/4120971434/

It does the job.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was useful. If only to decide that my needs didn't stretch to a laptop and or a Mac.

£379 from PC World. Compared to the previous dinosaur it's a winner.

I'd go back to PC World and as for a keyboard too ;)

"Night in Levenshulme" - is that after rolling out of the gutter?

Very funny Bryan, actually just before rolling into it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the photos. I wondered why you have showed such an interest in dillo's work, but now I can see why.

Wen, she's a wonderful photographer. Does this mean there are now two Rovers supporters in Japan? 100% increase!

Any road up I digress, glad to see you took my advice. A nice shiny black basic PC with a widescreen monitor to match. If you need any

help in the future just ask

Thank you oh wise one, will do.

However, having enough memory is always important. Id say 2gb Ram is more than enough, with 3gb about the limit for your needs.

Try and get at least a 23 inch HD monitor and at least a 250gb hard drive.

Iceman, I did mention that my old computer was steam-driven. This one has 2GB of memory - that's a ninth of the hard drive on the old one. I've also got a 500GB external hard drive. Now that was a strange pricing arrangement at PC World. It was the same as a 250GB and only a few

quid more than a ten times the capacity of a pen drive. Everything now backed up.

I'd go back to PC World and as for a keyboard too

Next topic I start will be advice on taking photos.

make sure shes old enough col when you get her to take her kit off :P

I used to think you were realy funny. I used to think that you were intesrting.

I've got a 14 year old daughter and you have been changed into a dirty old pervert.

I used to think you were realy funny. I used to think that you were intesrting.

I've got a 14 year old daughter and you have been changed into a dirty old pervert.

Get a sense of humour Colin. One of todays brightest comedians Jimmy Carr makes me squirm with his paedophile jokes but he's bloody funny all the same as long as one possesses the ability to keep things in perspective.

btw Not me personally but I dare say more than a few committed christians would find your sig quite offensive but I doubt you considered that when you chose it.

Get a sense of humour Colin. One of todays brightest comedians Jimmy Carr makes me squirm with his paedophile jokes but he's bloody funny all the same as long as one possesses the ability to keep things in perspective.

btw Not me personally but I dare say more than a few committed christians would find your sig quite offensive but I doubt you considered that when you chose it.

Such as myself. Indeed it is slightly offensive, but as you say theno, I take it in jest. And so Colin, you should take Abbey's comment in jest in return. If you take offence, then dont give it.As a marvellous comedian (name escapes me) once said:

'This is a democracy and you can't please everybody. So if you get offended, f*** off!'

bloody hell col...it was jest ....i apololgise if i caused offense,i guarantee there was 100 % none meant.

I've sent my apology to Abbey for that one.

Temporary "rod up the @r5e" situation by me.

Archived