BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Driving Me Mad!

Motorway Hates

(1) People who drive too close to the car in front, then have to stamp on their brake when the car in front of them brakes causing an accordion wave of people braking behind - Vans especially seem to have this habit.

(2) People who use the gap you have left to avoid (1) as an open invitation to pull out in front of you.

(3) People who stick their indicator on when there is obviously no way for them to move out - Mirror, Signal, Maneuver in that order.

(4) People who at the junction of M6 & M65 who use the left hand lane (for straight ahead) as a way of avoiding the queue in the right-hand lane, then trying to drive all the way around the roundabout in the wrong lane before cutting everyone up when their lane ends.

(5) People who you flash to allow out for (3) who then will not move back out of the way even when its clear.

(6) People who speed up when you are overtaking, then slow down once you have passed - if you ever drive using cruise control, this is amazing.

Non-motorway its got to be the sheer volume of people who seem to be scared using of their indicators at any point.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's as though normal road rules don't apply in this one particular place...

El Tombro.

They don't. Supermarket car parks with all their traffic signs & road markings are not public highways.

They are private land. It would be interesting to see what happens if someone walking across a supermarket *zebra crossing* got bumped by a car.

I think it would have to be a private & civil prosecution.

That doesnt make you better drivers though...Its just a case that insurance companies give you cheaper insurance based on age & experience. Its the way of the world but doesnt make you a better driver for it.

Obviously someone who doesn't understand how insurance works. Insurance companies base the rates on the anticipated number/cost of accidents based on certain criteria, including age, number of tickets, prior accidents, etc. The anticipated cost is based on what they have seen in the past.

If older drivers pay less it is because they cost the insurance companies less money in claims.

Simples.

How about people who sit there with their foot on the foot brake when they're blatantly not going anywhere- even in traffic jams. Left hand down behind the gear stick there's something called a handbreak USE IT

I'll tell you how bad the state of driving in this country is ..... 90% of these complaints on here have happened to me in the past week! I was behind a new Jag (high car with LED rear lights) that was doing that at the traffic lights just last Wednesday. Very annoying but not done mailiciously just without any thought which is the entire reason for most of this crap.

btw dunno if this is still the case but a mechanic told me years ago that doing this with hot brake discs can cause them to warp and cause wheel wobble on braking. Inevitably costly ... similar to riding the clutch on a road junction, or simply sitting in queue's with the clutch pressed down. It all hits the pocket eventually.

In no particular order:

1 - Fog lights being used for 'show'.

2 - Chelsea tractors.

3 - Sat Nav

4 - People who have no understanding of lane discipline.

5 - Tailgating.

6 - Overtaking when not suitable.

7 - People that insist on driving at a solid 40mph regradless of zone they are in.

8 - People that pull out in front of you.

9 - People that have their lights on hi-beam all of the time.

10 - BarryBoys.

11 - Excessivley loud exhausts on Corsa'sand the like.

There is more.......

As far as the Road Traffic Act is concerned, a public road is any that the public have access to no matter who owns it.

Biggus,

A "Public Highway" is one that the public has the right "to pass and re-pass." Case law has put this right at a minimum of 20 years.

Most of our rights of way have been settled for many years. So we've got all purpose highways (carriageways & footways;) bridleways; & footpaths.

Probably the only new highways we have are in the likes of new housing estates where the developer dedicates the road as highway and then the local Highway Authority adopts it.

I don't think any Highway Authority will not be adopting as public highway the car park of a supermarket just because it has two exits & entrances.

I'm being pedantic. I know.

Cheers

Colin

Just as one glides across the now almost unnoticeable border from France into Italy, having experienced relatively courteous and intelligent driving conditions, you immediately come across the guy on the mobile with sunglasses in the middle lane doing 55, the slow lane totally empty. You have to sweep across from slow to fast lane to overtake and then from nowhere the Audi arrives. One foot behind you, lights flashing, hand gestures abounding. After overtaking mobile pratt, you move into the middle lane just as the lorry from Palermo swerves out without indication (they really swerve as the trailer swings in behind the cab). The Audi has shot passed, but the car directly behind you has egotistically seen an opportunity to overtake and leaves you brakes screeching.

Naples city centre - You arrive first at a red light and stop. Within seconds 20 claxons are sounding and hands are wildly flaying outside windows, motorini inch pass you with wild eyed youths staring you out. There are no rules except keep moving. If you stop, even at a red light, you risk bringing the whole city to gridlock.

Roma Piazza Venezia - the 3rd busiest traffic junction in the world, 10 lanes of vehicles suddenly try to fit into 4, no quarter given. It's amazing the lengths Roman drivers will go to just to get that tiny bit further ahead with total disregard of what's around.

I'm genuinely surprised by some of the comments on this thread. Every time I'm back driving in Bburn it's a breath of fresh air - the vast majority always let you out or acknowledge a gesture from you. The driving seems pretty organised and courteous in general. I've noticed London zone getting worse though.

Anyone remember the canal bridge at Cherry tree before the lights? That was always great entertainment but a sign of common "chivalry". If that were in Italy you'd have miles of tailbacks on both sides with 2 clowns in sunglasses gesticulating wildly at each other!

As far as the Road Traffic Act is concerned, a public road is any that the public have access to no matter who owns it.

Wouldn't that mean that the relevent local authority would then be responsible for repairs and maintenance etc to that thoroughfare?

Anyone remember the canal bridge at Cherry tree before the lights? That was always great entertainment but a sign of common "chivalry". If that were in Italy you'd have miles of tailbacks on both sides with 2 clowns in sunglasses gesticulating wildly at each other!

Yeah but it's Mill Hill rem and anyone coming that highly indignant stunt would get twatted pdq.

You guys in the UK have it easy! Well from watching Road wars and the like!

Drivers over here that have a bulb out in their main headlights, or one bulb is brighter than the other.

Passed a car the other day that one headlight and on the other side they had one foglight - FAIL!!!

Oh and whats with people driving with no lights on when its near monsoon weather out??

HATE Micra drivers too

1. Drivers that dont appreciate the turning area required by wagons and trailors.

2. People that dont appreciate that some 4 x 4 vehicles are not a fashion accessory.

3. Drivers that drive to fast through flood water and dont take account of on coming vehicles with the back wash.

4. Weekend drivers- sight seeing tourists.

5. Emergency stop drivers - to avoid pheasant / rabbits

6. Attention seeking deaf drivers (usually in hatch backs) that dont have a base volume controller. BOOM BOOM BOOM

7. Impatient drivers

8. Drivers that lack courtesy, blocking exits when they themselves cant move.

Road related but makes me spit feathers every time I see it. Idiot parents who put small children in a little plastic seat on the back of a bicycle, then ride it on a main road !

We are told repeatedly about the correct way to use a child seat in a car, that has a super ncap rating and is full of airbags, and these nutters put their pride and joy in a funny hat in front of vehicles weighing over a ton travelling at speed.

:o

I had 2 tickets to the game but never made it.

WROTE MY CAR OFF over belmont on the way, tires slipped, span, hit a ball, flipped over n rolled 4 times, ended up in a river upside down!! Me, the bird & our puppy!

FFS! Gutted I missed it!!

hope your ok ...but wtf was you taking your puppy?

WROTE MY CAR OFF over belmont on the way, tires slipped, span, hit a ball, flipped over n rolled 4 times, ended up in a river upside down!! Me, the bird & our puppy!

Hope you're ok. Count yourself very lucky. There was a fatal crash the other week on Belmont Road near Abbey Village, I used to work with the women who lost her life. I just hope they do something on that road before there are other fatalities. Don't be too disappointed about missing the game :)

You gotta remember that it's only a game, there'll be plenty more to come. There's only one of you.

PS. Hope the other half and the pup are OK?

All ok - abit battered n bruised but we will survive thats the main thing.

Just gutted I wrote my A3 off that was only 3rd FT!! Oh well!

you had an A3 on 3rd party ?

More money than sense, you should have something more sensible.

Archived