BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spyin' Kop

Perkins

Blackburn Rovers – Spyin Kop

Hi, I am a Liverpool fan passing through, and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions. I did this last year and the write up is in the link below, it was a pretty fair assessment. It is quite easy really, you lot answer the questions and it gives Liverpool fans some insight into the club that we would not get from the general media. Thanks in advance to those who take it seriously.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=233290.0

Last time we ran this feature, some of your fans were very pessimistic after nine games without a win. Besides the manager, has anything else changed around club? Fans perceptions, the board’s plans, etc.

What are your expectations for this season, have they changed since day one?

After browsing your forums it seems that fans are divided over Big Sam, why is that and what is your take on him?

It is fair to say that both clubs have shared a good relationship in recent years, so what did you make of the ‘hand gestures’ last season?

As a club that once lifted the Premier League title, were do you see the future of the club?

Last time we ran this feature, Liverpool were flying and mounting a serious title challenge, things are somewhat different this season for Liverpool, where do you place the blame?

Who is your best player?

Who is your worst player?

Any up and coming young players we should know about?

Besides Gerrard and Torres the obvious choices, any other Liverpool players you fear or would want in your side?

What do you think Liverpool will take from this season?

Who do you think will win the league?

Care to predict a result?

Avoiding relagation is always the first thing, but I would expect a mid table finish

After browsing your forums it seems that fans are divided over Big Sam, why is that and what is your take on him?

Some fans dont like him because of the Bolton connection and also the style of football that his Bolton team played, but most warmed to him after he kept us up last season.

It is fair to say that both clubs have shared a good relationship in recent years, so what did you make of the ‘hand gestures’ last season?

I didn't think much of it really, you took us apart that day.

As a club that once lifted the Premier League title, were do you see the future of the club?

Dont think we will hit them heights again unless some serious money is put in, under Hughes we did punch above our weight and it was a good time to be a Rovers supporter, at the moment it's mid table and anything better is a bonus.

Last time we ran this feature, Liverpool were flying and mounting a serious title challenge, things are somewhat different this season for Liverpool, where do you place the blame?

Off the pitch you have owners who dont talk to each other and financial problems, on the pitch you have a manager who has gone from Champions League glory to out of the Champions League and out of the title race, maybe he has lost it and it's time for a change, also Liverpool are too dependant on Torres and Gerrard and seem lost when either or both are not playing, Liverpool have also missed Alonso this season.

Who is your best player?

At the moment David Dunn although Brett Emerton is also on the top of his game.

Although not as bad as everyone says but I'll say Keith Andrews

There's a young centre back called Jones who has played in the League cup this season.

Besides Gerrard and Torres the obvious choices, any other Liverpool players you fear or would want in your side?

I think Mascharano (sp) is an inportant player for Liverpool, also Kuyt not a scorer but can create.

Unless they get a good run in the F.A. Cup they cant take much from this season, but a top 4 finish is a must if Benitez wants to keep his job

Chelsea

Depends who is playing for you. if Torres plays then he will give our defence a torrid time although cant see him playing the full 90 due to his recent injury, it could be a tight game so going for the draw.

My expectations for this season are the same as day one and that is that we stay in the league and try to finish above the position we did last season. I know that no doubt there are fans out there who think we should be top 10 side as we have been the last few years and we should be up there with Villa or Spurs but that won't happen unless we get money or lucky. However we've struggled a little of late with the lack of funds and to finish this season any higher than last would be good enough for me however if i had my wish It would be a top 10 spot as it would bring in a bit more money for the club.

Most fans are a little divided about him because he used to manage Bolton and he played a certain way with his team up there and his bringing that down to Ewood Park and some fans don't care for that style of football. I don't really mind it so long as we play well and win i guess that's all that counts in football.

I'm not really sure about a good relationship thing with Liverpool i mean the clubs no doubt do but i doubt the fans really do. I didn't really care for the hands thing last year, yes some people could say it wasn't about that at all and he did it about something else but i think he did do it about the game being over after the second goal went in but i don't think he wanted the camera's to see what he had done so when he was asked about it i think he had to change his mind and say it was for something else.

Well i don't think we'll lift it any time within the next few years well not unless we get money pumped into the club but never say never in football. As for the club in the future i for one hope that we stay in the Premier League, win some trophies and also have a decent run in Europe for a few seasons that would be good for the club..

I'd put it down to the way Rafa went about with the whole Alonso thing he should have never of said that he wanted to sell him to buy Gareth Barry because that gave Alonso the feeling of not being wanted at Liverpool so when the Barry deal went south and he left for City i think Alonso thought if he's not wanted hear by Liverpool then he could go to Madrid were he knew they wanted his services. You also sold that defender Arbeloa to Madrid which i think was a mistake yes i know he had a fight with Carragher at the back end of last season but you must admit he wasn't a bad player and he would have been good cover had a player been injured this season. You sold Crouch and Keane( who wasn't given much of a chance i thought, didn't help that he was given that now curse number on his shirt though) but i do think either one of those two would help you out right now with El Niño out. For me i think you need a new owner with money to help you build your team up, although I'm not sure about Dubai though there market is on the way out lol.

Who is your best player?

This season would have to be David Dunn, he's the best midfield in the league right now well that's what i think, he's been playing in a Gerrard type roll this season behind the front guy and has been a breath of fresh air for us scoring plenty of goals you could say he's turning the clock back and long may it continue.

For me so far has to be Keith Andrews, mainly because i don't really rate the guy that much. He doesn't have enough good games in my book, Robbie Savage was sometimes like him as he wouldn't always have good games either but right now I'd rather have Savage than Andrews. I'll annoy loads by saying that about Savage but that's what i thought of him.

Steven Nzonzi he's a young French lad we got from the 3rd tier of football in France adn he's been really good in midfiled. For someone at his young age to be playing week in week out in this top division goes to show you how good he is i just hope we can keep hold of him.

Yossi Benayoun is in my book a really decent player I've seen him play a few times and i like the way he plays I wouldn't mind him in are team.

Hopeful you're manager will learn more than anything about how he should conduct himself with his transfers and not to do a Keegan( i will love it) like he did with his facts thing last season because i know that alcoholic scott was just laughing that all up.

Chelsea.

No.

Avoiding relegation, a good cup run and a safe mid table finish. They are still the same as day one. There is such depth in quality at the moment that I think we honestly sit mid table.

He wasn't my first or second pick but while he continues to meet my expectations he can stay as long as he wants. They don't like him because he is not Mark Hughes.

Bit of a ###### stir I think.

It is sad to say that we will never hold the title again. 4th place is my first place.

At the Manager's feet. Other then probably Yossi there is not a player that has become better under Benitez, in fact most have become lesser players. He has squandered millions in transfer money and any titles have been won with his formers team. Mourinho, Ancellotti, Ferguson, Wenger would all have won the title with the squad Liverpool has/had.

Who is your best player?

Brett Emerton

Keith Andrews

Steven Nzonzi

There is none that I fear but Mascha in our midfield would make a difference and Babel up front in his proper position.

Not much to be honest, I don't think they will finish in the top four which will be a disaster.

Chelsea

If Torres is fit prob 3-0 to Liverpool, No Torres 0-0

Last time we ran this feature, some of your fans were very pessimistic after nine games without a win. Besides the manager, has anything else changed around club? Fans perceptions, the board's plans, etc.

I feel fan's expectations have changed significantly in the last 12 months, for the majority simply surviving in the PL is now seen as an achievement and an acceptable ambition. The club have made tremendous, largely successful, efforts, to increase the gate using excallent ST and match bundle initiatives.

My early season prediction was to finsh 15th / 16th after flirting with relegation. I'll stick with that as I've seen nothing to suggest it will be otherwise

After browsing your forums it seems that fans are divided over Big Sam, why is that and what is your take on him? I've never been keen on Allardyce as a personality but I couldn't, as some do, care less that he managed Bolton or be concerned by their style of football. What worries me is the attitude he brings to Rovers. Allardyce asked the board to look initiatives to fill the ground, the board responded. To keep the ground full we have to play decent football, this isn't happeneing. Yes we have a decent home record but the football is poor and that record has been won against teams we should be beating. Allardyce, and this is not his fault, plays percentage football and is a product of what the PL has become - a money mad scramble for survival

It is fair to say that both clubs have shared a good relationship in recent years, so what did you make of the 'hand gestures' last season?

Completely unaware of this so can't comment

At best surviving in the PL playing good football with the occassional semi-final or league win over the big four. At worst surviving by playing 4-5-1 at home

Benitez. You'll win never win the league while this man is your manager. In public he treats the media, and therefore the fans he is talking to, like school children. If this is the public image I hate to think what happens behind closed doors. In Benitez you have a manger who blames everyone except himself for the team's shortcomings on the pitch. It's always someone else's fault. The sooner you get rid of him the better for Liverpool FC. I hope you do because I'd far sooner see LFC win the league than the other contenders.

Who is your best player?

This season? David Dunn. Apart from Dunny we sold them

Most fans will tell you Keith Andrews though I refuse to get involved with this one as it has as much to with Paul Ince as it does the player himself. We have several who are not much better than Andrews, Grella runs him a close second

None I can think of thoughh I'd like to see more of Hoilett before he leaves in January

I doubt we'd argue about any of them coming to Ewood. I'd settle for Kuyt right now

You have a chance in the FA Cup. I think you may well be beaten for fourth by Spurs, Villa or City.

Chelsea

Rovers 0 Liverpool 2

Last time we ran this feature, some of your fans were very pessimistic after nine games without a win. Besides the manager, has anything else changed around club? Fans perceptions, the board’s plans, etc.

It seems like the club's ambitions are only survival, which on one hand is only logical for a club with our resources, but on the other it's disappointing because we have shown we can achieve so much more.

The way things are going - lower midtable at best

In terms of minimum expectations he has delivered, and he has shown some good vision in the transfer market, but it seems like he has so far been unable to install a winning mentality in the team, or at least one that doesn't give up when things get tough. In any case, he still has time to improve.

If the current formula of foreign billionaires buying teams from large cities doesn't undergo a drastic change, it is inevitable that we will eventually be relegated and slip down the football leagues. It's sad, but it's getting harder and harder to compete and we can not do it forever.

Honestly? Benitez. He has gotten rid of many class strikers and replaced them with Veronin. Liverpool look unbeatable with Gerrard and Torres playing, but have a very weak plan B.

Who is your best player?

Most talented? Benni McCarthy. Best performing right now? Easily David Dunn.

El-Hadji Diouf. He looks like he tries, but is lacking any and all footballing quality.

Hoilett looks like a potential gem, but it looks like he doesn't want to stay because we're not big enough a club for him, or his parents. See answer #4.

Kuyt. He knows exactly when to score and has gotten Liverpool out of a lot of trouble. We have been missing a player like this since forever.

If Benitez buys right during the winter - 4th place might be possible. But it will go down as another disappointment that you've been knocked out of the title race without ever really being in it.

Right now it looks like Abramovich's money will guarantee Chelsea another title. United have a very poor squad and can't really compete, while Arsenal got the stuffing knocked out of them with Van Persie's injury.

2-0 to Liverpool - unless we decide to try something new.

Blackburn Rovers – Spyin Kop

Hi, I am a Liverpool fan passing through, and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions. I did this last year and the write up is in the link below, it was a pretty fair assessment. It is quite easy really, you lot answer the questions and it gives Liverpool fans some insight into the club that we would not get from the general media. Thanks in advance to those who take it seriously.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=233290.0

Having a manager who knows what he is doing makes a massive difference. Whilst progress isn't as fast as many would like, we aren't going into every game thinking we're going to be tonked like under Ince. The cheap tickets and therefore bigger crowds has also livened up the place and added to the matchday experience.

At the end of last season we managed to stay up with games to spare. Perhaps fans became a bit overconfident on the back of this and forgot how much damage there was to undo. Personally I thought 14th would be what could be expected of rovers, and looking at how we're doing this hasn't changed.

When we are good, we play very good football. When we play badly we play awful football. I think it is this inconsistency that frustrates many fans. We know what we are capable of, and have played some really good halves of football this season. This makes it all the more frustrating when we play some abject football, which we have done on numerous occassions. Sam seemingly writing off the games vs the big 4 also doesn't endear him to the fans.

A pretty ppor do all round really. Disrespectful of Benitez to do it, stupid of Sam to complain about it.

I'd like to think a solid mid-table side. Without extra financial backing we're not going to get any higher.Hopefully Sam can build a good team that will provide some good cup runs and good games of football, steering comfortably clear of relegation.

Benitez. Sure the owners haven't helped, but as others have said - things are never his fault. He is overly reliant on two players and whilst you have a great team, the squad to me is weaker than it was when he arrived. He just doesn't seem to have the nous to deliver the premiership. He's been resting on two narrow cup wins imo.

Who is your best player?

Dunn in terms of ability, Emerton in terms of consistency.

Andrews - not a premier league footballer at all. Can't fault his effort though. A lot of more talented players are pushing him for this acolade though especially our wide men Diouf and Pedersen.

N'Zonzi has a lot of potential. An unspectacular but solid defensive mid, hard to believe he came from the french 2nd division.

Benayoun - the guy has two things we lack: creativity and the ability to play effectively as a wide midfielder.

To make this season a success they have to win the FA Cup. The odds on 4th are a tad slim, especially if City get a new manager in.

Chelsea

Lacking either Torres or Gerrard I'd fancy a draw, 1-1. With them both playing I reckon you'll win 2-1.

On day one I expected no lower than 13th. Considering that were are there NOW having played ManYoo, Chelski and LeArse away, I'd be aiming for us to finish around 10th, but I'd still be happy with any finish above 13th.

Many seem to take the negatives out of the positives and vice versa. I personally think Sam is doing a good job so far, BUT feel he could have done better in some games (wins against stoke and west ham at home should have happened) and in terms of transfers (Salgado looks a waste, while Kalinic has shown us what he can do with a chalked off goal against ManYoo, yet we don't play him against weaker sides (Bolton and Wolves would have been perfect games for him!)

Not a clue what you mean.

We'll never lift it again, no matter how much money we get. That is unless the likes of Chelski, City, ManYoo, Spuds and yourselves collapse under the weight of crippling debts. Clubs like this are killing clubs like us, Wigan and Bolton.

The manager, but for some reason you all love him. Get rid and sort yourselves out!!

Who is your best player?

Chris Samba for me. Class defender and can put pressure on the opposition defense at set-pieces. A class act.

Diouf for me.

Nope cos you'll nick them. Probably N'Zonzi and Samba in terms of who may face you. But I think the likes of Kalinic will come good, as will Jones, Gunning and Ramm from our youh set-up.

Benayoun. Can we swap him for Diouf or Pedersen please? I'd settle for Riera, mind.

Jack all. Maybe a cup win, but you need to sack your manager first.

Chelski, without doubt, they are Europe's strongest team atmo.

Head says 2-1 to you lot. Heart says 271-0 to us.

Last time we ran this feature, some of your fans were very pessimistic after nine games without a win.

Besides the manager, has anything else changed around club? Fans perceptions, the board’s plans, etc.

What are your expectations for this season, have they changed since day one? - Expectations - mid-table mediocrity and no.

After browsing your forums it seems that fans are divided over Big Sam, why is that and what is your take on him? - Some like him because he kept us up, others loathe him because he used to manage Bolton, and also because we don't play the most attractive Arsenal-style football.

It was dismissive, but to be fair Rafa was right it was game over early in the first-half, and that concerned me more. As for the Big Sam / AF love-in its a bit sickening.

A slow demise as the league becomes less and less competitive and more and more foreign businessmen invest heavily in big city clubs, leaving the dreams of 95% of football fans in tatters.

Simple really - Rafa - for all the crys of he's had no money - he has only actually bought 2 worldies (Torres & Alonso - 1 of which has been traded in for a broken model) - is it 77 players he's bought so far?

Who is your best player?

Samba or Dunn

Andrews / Grella

Steven Nzonzi is very good, our other star youngster Junior Hoilett is set to leave for Germany on a Bosman. Oh and Michel Salgado.

Fear - not really. Want in our side? Any midfielder who can tackle and / or pass.

Hopefully a reality pill - you were really not in a championship race last season - and wont be with Rafa at the club.

Chelsea or United - couldn't care less to be honest.

You'll sit back for the first 20 mins or so and try to fathom out our tactics, then realise we dont have anything other than a long ball / set piece / David Dunn. Then you will waltz through our non-existant midfield and score with a long range effort. Then do it again. Then you will have a game of keep ball whilst Keith Andrews points at your midfielders instead of tackling them.

We may score from a corner, as you look rubbish at them.

1-3

And now for a question from me.

Do you feel that the lack of competition within the Premier League (due to wealthy benefactors and Champions League funding) is making the game more or less interesting for the fans of those teams at the top of the league?

How many teams now come to Anfield and actually try to outplay you?

We will be safe, might even squeeze into top ten. Yes they have changed- went down but back to where they were at the start of the season

The Bolton connection and the fact he is a cynical sod. Blackburn folk are cynical sods who don't like looking in the mirror.

Forgotten about it

Defying gravity and staying in the Prem for a while yet. Perhaps a Cup each decade and a European trip or two.

Liverpool are a club in crisis from top to bottom. Your owners have totally shafted you and Benitez got lucky in Istanbul.

Who is your best player?

Dunn

Andrews

Jones, Hoillet and Salgado

Most of them

The Europa Cup and will be back to defend it through your league position

Chelsea

Best chance for Rovers to notch a win against Liverpool in quite a while- I think we start favourites

Mid-table finish and perhaps a healthy cup run if we're lucky. This stance hasn't changed.

I respect the manager, even if I don't always agree with his decisions. Sam hasn't got the easiest job on his hands, since he's had to work on a tight budget and works for a selling club. He's very stubborn and methodical, which irritates many supporters on here and I understand their concerns about the tactics sometimes, but his personality must be taken with a pinch of salt. Any manager worth his salt carries a certain sense of hubris. My main criticism of him is that I'd like him to be a little more adventurous in our play (which worked against Portsmouth, and recently Chelsea in the cup) and to desist with certain passengers in our team.

Storm in a teacup, and quite petty.

To continue unearthing gems and selling them on for a tidy profit, whilst maintaining our PL status and having the occasional cup run.

The manager has spent enough money to perform better than you have. I feel the fans and pundits use the owners as a scapegoat instead of looking closer to the pitch.

Who is your best player?

David Dunn.

Keith Andrews.

David Hoillet is a raw talent. We also have Nzonzi, who was a long-term prospect but has slotted into the team seamlessly.

Who said we need Gerrard or Torres? :P

Fourth place and possibly the Europa Cup.

Chelsea or United. Look at me putting my neck on the block. :P

2-2 (if we give it a go)

Better than yours, old pal.

Sorry fella, couldn't resist. No offence intended.

None taken mate, these questions are pretty standard for the feature we run. The idea is to get a bit of insight into the team we are playing, instead of the stuff you read in the papers.

Do you feel that the lack of competition within the Premier League (due to wealthy benefactors and Champions League funding) is making the game more or less interesting for the fans of those teams at the top of the league?

I think previous seasons have been boring with the same top four, however when you factor in the emergence of Man City, Spurs and Villa as contenders to the 4th place it certainly makes things more interesting. Last year aside, Liverpool had never really made a title challenge since we last won it, so it became a bit stale with us constantly vying for fourth place. The only real excitement was the club's exploits in Europe. If you are in the top four and are not challenging for the title it isn't that exciting when your season effectively finishes in April when you are mathematically certain of CL football.

How many teams now come to Anfield and actually try to outplay you?

Not many that I can think of, some teams try to get at us quickly before we settle, i.e. Hull last season. The teams at the top set up quite conservatively when they come to Anfield, it is like a chess mess. Whilst everyone in the league fancies at least draw against us by sitting back. Recently Liverpool (the last four months of last season apart) are normally a team devoid of ideas when teams play deep, wasteful with set pieces and we don't have teams in awe of us and hoping not to get smashed, i.e teams when they go to Old Trafford. Although this is not to say that United don't deserve to to be feared, but often teams are beaten before the ball is kicked. something which we lack at Anfield.

I think we can finish mid-table, but 4th bottom whilst being above Burnley will do me fine;)

Sam is doing an ok job, but it wolud be nice to see some flair & good attacking football sometimes

:huh:not aware of it??

Rovers have punched above their weight for many years. The more billionaires that come into the prem, the further down the pecking order we go. Eventually we won`t be able to compete in this league.

Rafa. He`s bought too many dollopers for a club of Liverpool`s stature. Without Gerrard, Liverpool will drop out of the BIG BOYS challenging for CL places.

Who is your best player?

Dunn by far this term

cannot say

You should buy Keith Andrews off us

not really. Apart from the above mentioned, Liverpool are a pretty average squad

I think your top 4 status is under threat this season

Man United. Just to p1ss you lot off

Now could be a good time to play Liverpool. Obviously i pray for a Rovers win

Archived