BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xmas Number One - Do Your Bit!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed out the phrase 'In My Opinion.'

I, like most people who actually know who rage are and who own all their albums realised the true significance of the song and the band in general. It's a shame it's had to come to this, as Xmas number one used to be a huge thing with a number of artists in the running up to the last minute.

The past 5 years have been different and whilst it's great the monopoly has been broken, it's a shame it's come through a protest song from over a decade ago as opposed to someone writing a new great song/original song which captures everyones imagination.

You missed out the phrase 'In My Opinion.'

I, like most people who actually know who rage are and who own all their albums realised the true significance of the song and the band in general. It's a shame it's had to come to this, as Xmas number one used to be a huge thing with a number of artists in the running up to the last minute.

The past 5 years have been different and whilst it's great the monopoly has been broken, it's a shame it's come through a protest song from over a decade ago as opposed to someone writing a new great song/original song which captures everyones imagination.

Agreed. From someone who own a few of their albums...

• Backroom

I've never particulary liked the song, probably due to the fact I've seen bands do bad covers of it.

I just wish the campaign starters had chosen a Christmas song to be Christmas number one or a song from an up and coming british act.

From this however I hope that Cowell decides to start releasing the winners single a week earlier or later.

There aren't many other songs with the chorus 'F**k you I won't do what you tell me.'

Pretty sure this is the message people are trying to get to Cowell, with the insinuation that we are being force fed the X Factor.

I haven't seen it this year apart from the episode my mate was in, so I disagree we are force fed it, however, I believe the publics apparent need for reality TV has damaged out music industry.

I just wish the campaign starters had chosen a Christmas song to be Christmas number one or a song from an up and coming british act.

That wouldn't have had anywhere near the same impact though, and hence wouldn't have gained enough support to be successful.

I think they pitched the choice of song absolutely perfectly, I honestly can't think of anything that would have been more appropriate.

A Christmas song would have made the whole thing pointless, there would have been no rebellion in it. Also, if it had been some up and coming indie British act, it would have alienated too many people that the campaign was meant to appeal to.

By picking RATM (a band with lasting credibility and not a 'flavour of the month' choice) and a rebellious song, it just caught everyone's imagination a bit. I'm usually very cynical with these sort campaigns but I've been excited about this one, and I did buy a couple of copies of the song.

I love the role the band themselves have played in it too. The 5 Live appearance has put a memorable little soundbite to the whole thing, capturing the whole rebellion theme perfectly. Some good quotes knocking around from them as well, especially Tom Morello.

Like this: 'The campaign has nothing to do with that nice young man, and his parents are going to be proud of him when he comes second.'

Glad that this latest X Factor single hasn't won, not a fan at all of reality tv programs. That being said the Christmas number one is a @#/? song by a @#/? band imo, but if it raises some money for charity and damages the idea of reality television a bit then i guess some real good will have come out of it.

I'm really not sure of any circumstances in which RATM could be described as sh*te.

Nobody who has listened to a Rage album or two would describe them as @#/?.

Only people who hate it when the minority turns to the majority and shakes something up that they don't really have a clue about.

It makes people uncomfortable, a bit like our own Al.

Somebody could say they don't like their music, but to state that as a group of musicians they are a '@#/?' band would be a display only of a complete lack of musical knowledge/understanding.

Pfft I think its a great tune but if people think its @#/? thats no different to people thinking its great, its just opinions. After all a bunch of great musicians can still make a @#/? band - I mostly dislike the Chilli Peppers even though three of them are great on their respective instruments (well Frusciante has left...)

If someone says however Joe is better or should have got it instead then that disregards some basic FACTS such as the fact it isnt his own song, how he's achieved his fame etc etc.

If someone says however Joe is better or should have got it instead then that disregards some basic FACTS such as the fact it isnt his own song, how he's achieved his fame etc etc.

I had the Radio 1 chart show playing and they were reading texts out from people on both sides, all of the Joe supporting ones were like "Joe's gorgeous he should win!" etc.

Pfft I think its a great tune but if people think its @#/? thats no different to people thinking its great, its just opinions. After all a bunch of great musicians can still make a @#/? band - I mostly dislike the Chilli Peppers even though three of them are great on their respective instruments (well Frusciante has left...)

Yes but to say the sentence 'The RHCP are a @#/? band' would show you to be nothing but ignorant.

Yes, I can accept 'I don't like their music' but as four musicians playing together their collective dynamic and tightness is phenomenal, and as a band of musicians they are great. Most people on here probably don't like classical music but you wouldn't find many saying the E.L.O. are a '@#/? band' would you?

People often have strong opinions on music with ridiculous statements when the reality is they may know what they like the sound of, which is great, and all that matters really. But statements on the individual/collective abilities and importance of musicians/bands are usually embarrassing to read as it is usually said with no real knowledge to back it up.

Joe and RATM have the same label don't they? :lol:

Anyway, who honestly gives a ####?

No, but they are both signed to labels which are now owned by Sony BMG Records.

Archived