BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

ewoodpo

Roy Hodgson was a failure at Rovers, at Fulham he has worked miracles . They are now in a European semi and for the past couple of seasons they have been steady in the league. Prior to coming to us he was a big news even being touted as a future England manager what went wrong at Ewood ?

Tim Sherwood.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sporting Lisbon and Benfica are the only other sides

Can you read?

Yes, and I read how you compared the SPL to the Liga Sagres and assumed you were saying their were only two teams you ever hear about, like the SPL. So now I'm confused, you might as well say the Prem is like the SPL as all you ever hear about is the big 4...

Anyway, Sporting Lisbon are a big team you also hear about and must have heard of. I would also argue Nacional are pretty big/decent. Basically, the Liga Sagres has got quite a few decent teams in and is no where near as uncompetitive as the SPL (which was your original point).

Yes, and I read how you compared the SPL to the Liga Sagres and assumed you were saying their were only two teams you ever hear about, like the SPL. So now I'm confused, you might as well say the Prem is like the SPL as all you ever hear about is the big 4...

Anyway, Sporting Lisbon are a big team you also hear about and must have heard of. I would also argue Nacional are pretty big/decent. Basically, the Liga Sagres has got quite a few decent teams in and is no where near as uncompetitive as the SPL (which was your original point).

I didn't compare it to the SPL, I said my friend did and that I didn't know enough about the Portugese league to agree or disagree. I know it's certainly not considered one of the stronger european leagues and is behind the obvious ones such as Serie A, La Liga and the Premiership as well as the French, German, Russian and Romanian league to name a few.

Yes Sporting Lisbon are a big team, hence being among one of the two other than Porto that I mentioned along with Benfica. On looking it up I see other than those 3 only Boavista have won the Portugese league since the second world war over 60 years ago. Certainly doesn't sound like the strongest league and I can see why Mourinho had no trouble winning it.

Mourinho

Started at Benfica & after a strong start – a new president was elected & Mourinho tested his resolve by asking for an extended contract – when he didn’t get one – Mourinho quit & the new president regretted it later

Leiria - Mourinho took them to their highest ever position of 5th – losing just 4 games.

Prior to Mourniho – Porto finished 3rd in the league (thanks to the run of 11-2-2 in his 1st 15 games)……In his 1st full season in charge of Porto (2002) he won the league (with a record total of points), cup, super cup, Portuguese super cup & the UEFA cup. He also won UEFA manager of the year.

The next season he won the league again & the champs league & was named champs league manager of the year

He then went to Chelsea and won 6 trophies in 3 years…winning 2 prem manager of the year awards

On April 16th 2010, after the 34th round of 2009–10 Serie A, Mourinho is on a run of 134 home league matches unbeaten

Now what other manager has this record….money or not?!

Mourinho

Started at Benfica & after a strong start – a new president was elected & Mourinho tested his resolve by asking for an extended contract – when he didn’t get one – Mourinho quit & the new president regretted it later

Leiria - Mourinho took them to their highest ever position of 5th – losing just 4 games.

Prior to Mourniho – Porto finished 3rd in the league (thanks to the run of 11-2-2 in his 1st 15 games)……In his 1st full season in charge of Porto (2002) he won the league (with a record total of points), cup, super cup, Portuguese super cup & the UEFA cup. He also won UEFA manager of the year.

The next season he won the league again & the champs league & was named champs league manager of the year

He then went to Chelsea and won 6 trophies in 3 years…winning 2 prem manager of the year awards

On April 16th 2010, after the 34th round of 2009–10 Serie A, Mourinho is on a run of 134 home league matches unbeaten

Now what other manager has this record….money or not?!

Not many can match what he has achieved which I've never doubted, I just think it would be interesting to see what he could do at a struggling team with little resources, something which I'm sure we'll never know as his success ensures he can more or less pick whatever job he wants.

The home record is a fantastic one, I'd imagine it has to be the best of all time and couldn't hazard a guess at anyone who has had a similiar record.

Barca, will thrash Inter at the Nou Camp next week. Barca have the players, to go and overturn a 2 goal deficit.

We shall see - Inter score 1 & Barca need 3, against a tactical genius - Cant see them doing it to be honest.

Inter could have been 3-1 up by half time last night!

We shall see - Inter score 1 & Barca need 3, against a tactical genius - Cant see them doing it to be honest.

Inter could have been 3-1 up by half time last night!

Pep Guardiola isn't too shabby either! At the Nou Camp, on a watered pitch, with Iniesta back they're more than capable of winning 2, even 3 or 4-0 on the night.

It's VERY finely balanced - too close to call.

Deserved the red. Very reckless and dangerous tackle. Maybe no intent, although I'm not so sure, but it was certainly very lazy and you just can't have people putting those sort of tackles in. Nowhere near to the ball and could have easily broken Lisandro's ankle.

Bit soft to get two yellows like that. Lyon are quite a dull side to watch, so not surprising that the game isn't very good. So long as it is close Lloris can keep them in it and they are always dangerous if they get a bit of space moving forward.

Robinho is coming on...

and as I say that Lloris has a bit of a blunder. Deflection didn't help, but will feel he could have done better.

Ah, Robben, you one-foot wonder. It makes me laugh whenever people try to tackle him.

He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. *Robben cuts onto his left and slips around the defender* SEE! I TOLD YOU!

Archived