BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

ewoodpo

God Lyon have been woeful tonight. They've contributed NOTHING. Even with ten men Bayern looked far the better team.

Ah, Robben, you one-foot wonder. It makes me laugh whenever people try to tackle him.

He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. He's gonna cut onto his left. *Robben cuts onto his left and slips around the defender* SEE! I TOLD YOU!

Hahaha, yeah I think exactly the same when I watch Robben! I don't think I've ever seen him use his right foot! Yet it seems to work, he gives defenders a torrid time.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha, yeah I think exactly the same when I watch Robben! I don't think I've ever seen him use his right foot! Yet it seems to work, he gives defenders a torrid time.

I think footballers just don't catch on too quick...eeeeh?

That's quite possible, but then quite a few of the great managers haven't been to three clubs, so it's a bit of a nothing statistic.

Soooo... we can safely say he is better the Ancelotti, Van Gaal, Hiddink, Sir Bobby, Hitzfeld, Capello in Europe?

So other then Wenger and Ferguson, who else you got in the modern era?

EDIT: Nothing statistic, bloody hell.

People I'd rank above 'The Special One' ......

In the modern era it's hard to look past Ferguson when you talk about the best. I don't like the man but he's done it all, something like 30 major titles I believe.

Success with Aberdeen including multiple league titles and cups as well as a UEFA Cup Winners Cup, then with Man Utd he's won 10 or so league titles, numerous FA and League Cups as well as 2 Champions League titles. I'm not sure anyone will ever beat the record he has in England.

I'd also put Trapatoni ahead of him who has numerous Seria A titles and cups, titles in Germany, Portugal and Austria as well as numerous UEFA Cups and a Champions League trophy. Not to mention almost getting an Ireland team with Keith Andrews in it to a World Cup, narrowly missing out thanks to Thierry.

Then there's Lippi with numerous Serie A titles and cups as well as Champions League title and 3 runners up medals, the only man to get to 4 Champions League finals. Oh and he also won the World Cup last year with Italy.

Hitzfeld has 2 Champions League titles (With different teams), multiple German titles and cups as well as a lot of trophies in Switzerland with different clubs.

Capello's won several league titles in Italy, Spain as well as the Champions League and 2 other final appearances. Hopefully he'll win a World Cup as well soon ;)

Wenger's record is a good one but in my opinion to be considered one of the greats he needs to add a European title to his list.

Some of them are a bit debatable because it depends on what you call the 'modern era'. I guess the early 90's would be the beginning when the Premiership was formed and the Champions League was restructured.

Its very difficult to compare a man so early in his career with those, who are in the main almost about 70 years old. Mourinho if he maintains his record will surpass the lot of them, but he still has 20 odd season till he catches them up. Back to back trebles with Porto is something else especially the champions league regardless of the opponents he faced.

I think the only fair way to compare them all would be to see what each at won at the same number of seasons as a manager that Mourinho has now. That would seriously change the picture and I'd be surprised if Fergie even came close.

He's been a manager for 10 years now and to date has won the following:

Porto

Portuguese Liga (2): 2002–03, 2003–04

Portuguese Cup (1): 2002–03

Portuguese SuperCup (1): 2003

UEFA Cup (1): 2002–03

UEFA Champions League (1): 2003–04

Chelsea

FA Premier League (2): 2004–05, 2005–06

FA Cup (1): 2006–07

League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07

FA Community Shield (1): 2005

Internazionale

Serie A (1): 2008–09

Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2008

14 titles in 10 years to date, more than one a season thats some record at 47 and 10 years in.

Fergie started in 1974 so by 1984 he had won the following:

St. Mirren

Scottish First Division (1): 1976-77

Aberdeen

Scottish Premier Division (2): 1979–80, 1983–84

Scottish Cup (3): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

So 8 titles to Mourinho's 14, if mourinho keeps it up he'll go down as the best ever.

Its very difficult to compare a man so early in his career with those, who are in the main almost about 70 years old. Mourinho if he maintains his record will surpass the lot of them, but he still has 20 odd season till he catches them up. Back to back trebles with Porto is something else especially the champions league regardless of the opponents he faced.

I think the only fair way to compare them all would be to see what each at won at the same number of seasons as a manager that Mourinho has now. That would seriously change the picture and I'd be surprised if Fergie even came close.

He's been a manager for 10 years now and to date has won the following:

Porto

Portuguese Liga (2): 2002–03, 2003–04

Portuguese Cup (1): 2002–03

Portuguese SuperCup (1): 2003

UEFA Cup (1): 2002–03

UEFA Champions League (1): 2003–04

Chelsea

FA Premier League (2): 2004–05, 2005–06

FA Cup (1): 2006–07

League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07

FA Community Shield (1): 2005

Internazionale

Serie A (1): 2008–09

Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2008

14 titles in 10 years to date, more than one a season thats some record at 47 and 10 years in.

Fergie started in 1974 so by 1984 he had won the following:

St. Mirren

Scottish First Division (1): 1976-77

Aberdeen

Scottish Premier Division (2): 1979–80, 1983–84

Scottish Cup (3): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

So 8 titles to Mourinho's 14, if mourinho keeps it up he'll go down as the best ever.

It's a fair point but if were going to talk about what someone might win based on what they have won then you can't look past Guardiola who's racked up 6 titles in less than 3 years.

It's a fair point but if were going to talk about what someone might win based on what they have won then you can't look past Guardiola who's racked up 6 titles in less than 3 years.

Thats why I did the 10 years part, its very difficult to make it a fair playing field. Fergie started out at St mirren, then Aberdeen whereas Mourinho got to Porto within 2 years of starting. Guardiola well his first real job is Barca so making it balanced is almost impossible. But on Pep I think its too early to start judging him, he's done magnificently and the work he does on the training ground is amazing (very lucky to have seen him at work), but who knows what will happen in the future. The same goes for Jose, who could crash and burn over the next twenty or so seasons. But don't forget that when Fergie started out managing a team like porto or Barca so early in ones career would never have happened, a 30 year old manager running a team of that stature was un-heard off, times have changed in that aspect.

Best way is to judge them once they retire and they've finished their careers, count up the trophies and see who has the most as at the end of the day the best will win the most. But even then could pick holes in that method as well.

Thats why I did the 10 years part, its very difficult to make it a fair playing field. Fergie started out at St mirren, then Aberdeen whereas Mourinho got to Porto within 2 years of starting. Guardiola well his first real job is Barca so making it balanced is almost impossible. But on Pep I think its too early to start judging him, he's done magnificently and the work he does on the training ground is amazing (very lucky to have seen him at work), but who knows what will happen in the future. The same goes for Jose, who could crash and burn over the next twenty or so seasons. But don't forget that when Fergie started out managing a team like porto or Barca so early in ones career would never have happened, a 30 year old manager running a team of that stature was un-heard off, times have changed in that aspect.

Best way is to judge them once they retire and they've finished their careers, count up the trophies and see who has the most as at the end of the day the best will win the most. But even then could pick holes in that method as well.

I'm just in an argumentive mood :) I really like Mourinho and don't doubt for one second that he's done very well, if he comes back to the Premiership I'll be a happy man. I just get sick of all the loving he seems to be getting when he has a long way to go to match the achievements of someone like Ferguson or Trapattoni. He doesn't need people blowing smoke up his ass, he does enough of that himself.

You're right though there is no way to really say who will be regarded as the best, for starters football doesn't look like ending any time soon so in 5 years time we might be talking about 'Mr X' and his fantastic achievements and whether or not he can be considered one of the best.

Let's just say Kenny wins ;)

How is that fair? To compare Mourinho's record at European giants like Porto, Chelsea and Inter with Fergie at St Mirren (!) and Aberdeen?

Ferguson had to work his way up over years. Mourinho was handed a plum job at the most successful club (in recent years) in his country.

However...it is obvious Mourinho is a great manager. Very doubtful if he can truly keep up the success for over 30 years like Ferguson has done however. Not many can...or want to...last that long at the top.

EDIT - I see you acknowledged the disparity in a later post.

I'm just in an argumentive mood :) I really like Mourinho and don't doubt for one second that he's done very well, if he comes back to the Premiership I'll be a happy man. I just get sick of all the loving he seems to be getting when he has a long way to go to match the achievements of someone like Ferguson or Trapattoni. He doesn't need people blowing smoke up his ass, he does enough of that himself.

You're right though there is no way to really say who will be regarded as the best, for starters football doesn't look like ending any time soon so in 5 years time we might be talking about 'Mr X' and his fantastic achievements and whether or not he can be considered one of the best.

Let's just say Kenny wins ;)

I have those moods all the time.

I too would love to see him back here, preferably not replacing Fergie so they can have there banter again.

Kenny???? Kenny who??? :blink:;)

How is that fair? To compare Mourinho's record at European giants like Porto, Chelsea and Inter with Fergie at St Mirren (!) and Aberdeen?

Ferguson had to work his way up over years. Mourinho was handed a plum job at the most successful club (in recent years) in his country.

However...it is obvious Mourinho is a great manager. Very doubtful if he can truly keep up the success for over 30 years like Ferguson has done however. Not many can...or want to...last that long at the top.

EDIT - I see you acknowledged the disparity in a later post.

Once I started doing those figures I realised it just didn't add up to being fair really.

I'm not convinced we'll see Mourinho stay in the game as long as Fergie has, or seems like doing. I can see him falling out of love with some aspects of the game.

On a different note have you seen his latest I told you lot so speech on Balotelli????

I was right you were wrong

Don't know if anybody is watching the semi between Lyon and Bayern. The referee has just made a very poor decision he booked the Lyon skipper for winning the ball as he deemed it a foul.

The chap after getting booked applauded the ref , he decided to send him off. At this stage of a major competition you would expect the best referees in the world UEFA and FIFA decide to use refs from countries who don't referee at a high level This chap tonight is from Switzerland.

Don't know if anybody is watching the semi between Lyon and Bayern. The referee has just made a very poor decision he booked the Lyon skipper for winning the ball as he deemed it a foul.

The chap after getting booked applauded the ref , he decided to send him off. At this stage of a major competition you would expect the best referees in the world UEFA and FIFA decide to use refs from countries who don't referee at a high level This chap tonight is from Switzerland.

It wasn't the greatest decision but he had no option to give him another after the sarcastic clapping. I don't buy into the Jamie Redknapp argument about having big country referees, it's a simple game and if the ref has a strong enough character he'll be fine. The best 2 ref's I've seen on the biggest stage were Dutch and Hungarian.

Before the sending off Lyon were never at the races anyway, I think that the semi was a round too far for them. Tomorrow is going to be a good one.

Hoping tonight's game will be a good one considering Barca have to go on the attack against 'Mourinho's team'.

It'll either prove Barca are as good as people think they are or that Mourinho is a good a man manager and tactician that people think he is, certainly interesting either way, just quite comical how little Inter get mentioned and it's all about Mourinho and his team, I guess that's always been the way though and it certainly does take the pressure off the players somewhat, you can't knock it I guess if it works.

I'm pulling for Barca but have no idea which way it'll go, would not rule out it being 3-1 and going to ET and possibly penalties, just have a hunch.

Pathetic sending off IMO, if you look at the replay the Barca player looks up whilst on the ground clutching his face, I hope Inter win.

Yeh I noticed that as well he looked up whilst rolling round on the ground. The way he was lying on the floor you'd think Mike Tyson had knocked him out.

Very poor decision from the referee , the ref last night did the same god help us during the World Cup with refs likes the two in the CL semis.

Archived