BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

ewoodpo

Could be interesting...if you do it like that I think Ronaldo would come out best by quite a bit.

United playing very well, dominating the midfield. Fletcher and Carrick continue to be an underrated midfield pairing...if you can have such a thing when they play for United.

Exactly-Ronaldo has the better all round game, this will simply prove it.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say Maradona was a better, and more influential player - and his misdemeanors off the pitch make no difference to his brilliance on it.

Oh, and the handball goal might have been cheating, but I seem to recall his other one being the greatest World Cup goal ever?

Wrong again. Maradona was nowhere near as complete a footballer as Pele, and neither did he exert as much influence on the pitch. Football is also a game of beauty, and Pele's graceful, lithe movement was a joy to watch compared to the lumpen progress of the portly Maradona. Maradona's behaviour off the pitch does matter because to many people that is what he will be remembered for rather than his football skills. Pele was a gentleman footballer, not a statement you could make about Maradona. Maradona' second (legitimate) goal against England was very good but I can think of many that are better. You will never convince any experienced football watcher who has seen both players live and on television that Maradona was better than Pele. Take it from me, he wasn't.

Could we not agree upon a set of guidelines to judge the three players and then see how they fare?

1. Pace

2. Heading

3. Goal scoring

4. Work ethic

5. Left foot

6. Right foot

7. Free kicks

Any others?

You'd be carrying on forever, there are so many attributes which make up the overall player, just to throw a few in such as consistency, passing, vision, stamina, crossing, composure, dribbling, agility - in fact I'm now just more or less listing attributes from Football Manager. As I said, so many attributes make up a player, it's hard to say which are more important than others as they all link together.

Guest roverspogges

Just want to put my two pence worth in. It's all subjective, a mate of mine thinks the best player of the 90's and early noughties was Ronaldo ( the fat one ) and I think Zidane was the best. It is fun to debate though.

Strength

Durability (lack of injuries)

Earring(s)

Hairband

Pretty bracelets

Socks up v socks down

Shirt tucked in v shirt out...

Spitting or not... (Spit or swallow lol)

:D

After that it just gets silly... ;)

Could a kind moderator please pick out the the Messi/World's best posts and stick them in a new topic called 'World's best player?' or something? Seems like it's a lively debate and worthy of its own topic.

I was going to write about the Champions League but I don't really see the point at the moment, it'd just get swamped.

Archived