BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pes2011

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that FIFA has all the "bells and whistles" but PES has improved greatly this year. The more you play the demo the more it grows on you. No doubt that FIFA 11 is a very good game but they still have not addressed the three issues which annoyed me most namely the game is far to much in favour of physical players, ping pong passing is still there and the AI players even if they are poor players suddenly turn into gods.

PES has it's issues, the animations while much more freer than PES2010 need some work, but as a football simulation it now really works, the passing and shooting are great. The AI is fairly realistic and your players make intelligent runs of the ball.

This year i'll be buying both games again, in their own ways they both have appealing aspects.

How are the goalkeepers?

Still not great so far. In my first game on the demo I scored a fluky goal with a centre back on his wrong foot. It looped over the keeper, but he looked really awkward in getting it. They're still spilling a lot of shots as well.

Overall I'm not sure what to think yet. The passing is obviously a huge step in the right direction. I still found it really hard to tackle the likes of Messi and Ibrahimovic though, hopefully it's just me getting used to the game and it not being the same crappy thing as PES 2010.

Played the demo, what an ugly game! Why can't I change the shoulder button layout? I'm used to having my sprint button in a certain place, that needs to be on a trigger(the new fifa even has analogue sprint). The passing and shooting seems nice and realistic, but oh my god, the dribbling is awful. They run like robots with the ball attached to their foot with a piece of elastic!

Seems like an improvement, but for me it's still a million miles behind FIFA. I wish they'd start from scratch, the old Pro Evo was great, it's only when they started making the game for the current gen that they lost the plot. As for net code, have they sorted that now?

I may be tempted to have a look at this at release, FIFA is stagnating a little and online(which is all I play, playing against the CPU in a sports game for me is far too dull) has issues. There is a virtual coin toss which makes all the 50/50 things go against you(though they may have fixed this in FIFA 11).

It's funny how it used to be FIFA trying to catch PES, now it's t'other way round! I long for a day where they are both neck and neck. I'd love a Pro Evo 1 in HD, I'm sure the original games are better even now than the current PES.

I am trying not to sound like a PES fanboy because quite like FIFA 11 but to suggest that it is "light years" ahead of PES is wrong. The two posts below sum up my feelings perfectly:

I have been a FIFA player for the last 24 hours, the ease at which I could play the football I liked seduced me and I Even went through a period where I thought that I would buy it instead of PES, not any more.

It has to be one of the most boring games ever created, every match is the same, no matter what teams I use, who I play, its like a carbon copy of every other game I played before it. I pass the ball around as much as I like, easily keeping possession, press into the final 3rd, score, miss or get tackled and hold down X to get the ball back(unless they spin around me) and then start the cycle again. Thats it, minute after minute, game after game, Always the same. I played as Leverkusen against Barca on top difficulty and had 70 percent possession in the first half and could attack at will.

So Invited a couple of my fifa loving mates over that have always played fifa and who i have over the last year shared some great moments on fifa10 and FWC with to give the two games a head to head.

Before proceeding with the fifa11 demo i fired pes2011 explained to them the stratergy and link feint system,and we got strait into a few games.There jaws were hitting the floor seeing me put backspin,side and top on the ball,hitting over the ball for low strikes on my shots and the freedom of my play and how the short passing wasnt fixed anymore and how i was freely passing the ball into space long and short with my players reacting instintively and freely to my play.

They were all in ore,and because there used to playing fifa in the manual settings took to pes2011 like ducks to water,replaying every player turn,flick and pass.As soon as i put the fifa11 demo on they were all pointing out how it wasnt the same anymore however polished and how pes2011 was fresh and like a breath of fresh air.We all laughed at fifa11s player brush stroke movements,the compactness of play and how every player felt the same,one of my mates who played barca on pes2011 and then on fifa11 even commented on how messi in fifa11 was nothing like messi in pes2011 and how he in fifa11 felt like every other player(the pes difference).

It always makes me smile when I read the words 'Robotic' and 'Clunky'. I completey understand why people say these things after playing the silky smooth Fifa, but understanding why it's like this is it's beauty. Like I have said so many times, it's these 'clunky' and 'robotic' movements that provide us with all the relevant angles required to simulate the players limbs, posture and body movement. These varying factors are what then create the percentage based errors, or, posture perfect consequence of passing, shooting, and touch. It may not be as pretty on the eye as the perfectly formed 360' movement of Fifa, but it is highly realistic. And it opens the door to almost infinite variables, especially when combined with individual player statistics that are also open to even more variety due to the condition and form arrows that replicate consistency.

It's all very , very clever stuff, and thats what makes me smile, the fact that alot of people seem to overlook it, and denounce it, in favour of a silky smooth visual that does anything but mirror the nature and technique it's trying to replicate. It's back to the old philosophies, one is aimed to look realistic, the other, to 'feel' realistic. And thats the bottom-line, whether you like it or not.

The problems with Pro Evo's gameplay now are the same problems footballers face in real life. Try hitting a 40 yard pinpoint cross field ball and surprisingly its damn difficult. That is why so far, this demo is as good a football game as i have played. I hated it initially but after 3/4 games and ridding myself of my Fifa gameplay instincts, this is great stuff.

All i have heard about Fifa 11 is that its Fifa 10 MkII, ie, not a great deal better. I dont think i can be bothered to download it. Fifa has always been somewhat souless in comparison to Pro Evo. Very well polished etc but once that wears off you dont have much to play with.

I'm used to having my sprint button in a certain place...the old Pro Evo was great...

You can't have played it that much, or you would be used to the position of the sprint button! I don't think it's changed in a decade.

I imagine you'll be able to customise more things in the full version anyway, if you really need to. I see the sense of moving the spring button to analogue R2, but it always throws me off when playing Fifa because I'm so used to Pro Evo.

You can't have played it that much, or you would be used to the position of the sprint button! I don't think it's changed in a decade.

I imagine you'll be able to customise more things in the full version anyway, if you really need to. I see the sense of moving the spring button to analogue R2, but it always throws me off when playing Fifa because I'm so used to Pro Evo.

I was actually wondering this myself, as I played PES since the snes days. I moved to fifa for the 08 version, because online PES was a joke. I think it was when I was playing PES on the original xbox and didn't like the R1 button, so moved it to R2. I must have stuck with this since. I've always used The rest of the PES button layout even in FIFA.

I'm going to give the demo another go, adding spin to passes as Kamy me mentioned before has me interested ;)

I was actually wondering this myself, as I played PES since the snes days. I moved to fifa for the 08 version, because online PES was a joke. I think it was when I was playing PES on the original xbox and didn't like the R1 button, so moved it to R2. I must have stuck with this since. I've always used The rest of the PES button layout even in FIFA.

I'm going to give the demo another go, adding spin to passes as Kamy me mentioned before has me interested ;)

When passing or crossing the ball, especially in attacking areas hold the L2 trigger, adds more depth to the passing, gives you even more control over where you are passing the ball.

I dont think not having the prem license is going to be an issue.

http://twitpic.com/2shg7p

As long as you have a memory stick and 10 mins of spare time. And, damn Ryan Nelsen looks spot on.

It doesn't work when you play online though, so it's still an issue. I can't believe they haven't got it sorted yet.

Why can Football Manager use real names of every club in the world but Pro Evo can't use a select few?

• 2 weeks later...

So has anybody got this yet? Surprised not to see any updates on Friday.

Played it over the weekend at a mate's and I was very impressed. There were a few glitches, such as an extraordinary amount of clean sliding tackles resulting in free kicks, and players being able to clear the ball for miles. However, for the most part, we were very impressed with how it played. I love the passing as there's so much more freedom and the dribbling is more fun also. Shooting is tricky but I imagine once you get the hang of it then it's an improvement also.

Crucially, this is the first time in a long time I've played a new PES and enjoyed it almost immediately. The last PES I really loved was PES 6 - too early to say whether it can recapture that experience but the signs are a lot more positive than they have been in previous years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived