BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Day Superstitions

Does anyone else have any odd matchday traditions / superstitions like mine?

When I get along to Ewood I always try to have a bag of sarsaparilla tablets from the corner shop with me, as I've noticed a correlation between me starting to suck on a sweet and Rovers scoring. I'll swear it 'helped' us score two against Wigan the other day, and it has been something I've believed in since I first started going to the Rovers in the early 1970s.

The other one is I've noticed a correlation between the number and direction of Eddie Stobart lorries I pass on the M6 and the results that Rovers get. Basically Rovers goals for often seem to tally (proportionately) with the number of Stobart lorries I overtake or which pass me on the opposite carriageway.

I know it sounds mad and bizarre, but I have definitely noticed these patterns which are sufficiently robust to make me continue in my odd beliefs...

I just wondered if there were any other odd beliefs like this that occupy your minds up to and during Rovers games?

Yeah, I know, I'm barking mad and sizzling...

:rover:

When I get along to Ewood I always try to have a bag of sarsaparilla tablets from the corner shop with me, as I've noticed a correlation between me starting to suck on a sweet and Rovers scoring. I'll swear it 'helped' us score two against Wigan the other day, and it has been something I've believed in since I first started going to the Rovers in the early 1970s.

No no no, it's all to do with my pack of extra strong mints but I'm now going to have to count Eddie Stobart lorries on my trip to E Lancs.

Always, without fail, I have to touch the overhead sign on my way up from the concourse.

Aye, that's more like it... supporter's ritual adding to the overall experience of a game.

I'm pretty sure neither Napoleon nor Hitler ever made it to Ewood too.. but thanks for those erm.. well informed (?) contributions too :blink:

Anyone else?

:rover:

Every time we head to Rovers in the car, as we approach Wheelton near the Red Cat pub there is a sign that says Blackburn 7 (as in miles) and I always have to say the opposition teams name and the word NIL after driving past it. Don't know why as it has only worked once in 30 years of doing it, but that's OCD and pre match booze for you.

I have to break wind seven times as I go through the turnstiles. I have had one or two accidents I can tell you.

I can honestly say that's one of the funniest things I have ever read on this message board.

Genius and thank you.

My eyes are streaming...

In the second half of last season I wore a football shirt, given to me by Dillo (where is she these days?)

It's a shirt from the Japanese football team she supports - "Frontale." Like Rovers' shirt it's half & half, but black & blue.

Whenever I wore it last season we won - but the proviso was that I only wore it against teams that I thought we had a good chance of beating.

It never failed.

So if you see some bloke on Sunday wearing a half & half blue & black shirt with "Fujitsu" on the front, it'll be me.

Sorry Brad, you're in for a nightmare.

In the second half of last season I wore a football shirt, given to me by Dillo (where is she these days?)

It's a shirt from the Japanese football team she supports - "Frontale." Like Rovers' shirt it's half & half, but black & blue.

Whenever I wore it last season we won - but the proviso was that I only wore it against teams that I thought we had a good chance of beating.

It never failed.

So if you see some bloke on Sunday wearing a half & half blue & black shirt with "Fujitsu" on the front, it'll be me.

Sorry Brad, you're in for a nightmare.

It must have been the shirt and sarsaparilla combo that did it - poor old Brad had something of a stinker today. I think that is the last we'll see of him between the sticks at 'Edwood' (sic)

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived