BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Weed?

There seems to be more heat than light in this discussion so far.

Cannabis is fine, as long as you just take it easy and don't get into serious use. Just like alchohol really. Just take it easy, don't go silly and remember when you think you've had enough and then just stop.

Both are recreational drugs. One is legal, the other isn't.

Cannabis is very enjoyable when you partake with friends of a similar mindset and you are in a comfortable environment.

If you don't smoke then be careful not to eat too much "magic flapjack." Just take it a nibble at a time and wait a good hour for your digestive system to ingest it. Otherwise you'll end up like me eating double helpings at Glen Coe in 2001.

I still managed to get up that mountain the next day though.

But I took a massive hit of fried egg sandwich with amphetamine sulphate in the morning ................godlookatthosecloudslookatthosemountainsovertheresshitlookatthosemountainsoverinthatdiretionsisitrainingwherearewearewenearthetopyet?anyonewantaracetothetophaveyougotadrinkofwaterooohwevereachedthetopcanwegodownnowandgoupagainbyamoredifficultroute.Myteethachecanwedrinkbeernow?Ohsorry,can I haveanotherone,bettermakeittwoanyonewanttohaveagameofScrabble?

Remember kids: Drugs are dangerous but great fun if you take them with a degree of care & moderation. But stay off heroin - that way lies a squat in Burnley

Are people aware that cannabis and salvia are from the same family?

Don't believe everything people post on the web. The two plants don't even belong to the same order, let alone family. Salvia is a member of the mint family! While Cannabis is closely related to the hop.

Cannabis sativa - Order: Rosales, Family: Cannabaceae, Genus: Cannabis

Salvia divinroum - Order: Lamiales, Family: Lamiaceae, Genus: Salvia

I heard a weird one on Radio 4 today (must be true); apparently the Eskimos (Inuit?) feed their reindeer on the red and white toadstool we all know from the woods / fairy stories. The Eskimos then drink the reindeer urine to get an amazing high. I'd stick to the Salvia if I were you!!

That so?

Don't believe everything people post on the web. The two plants don't even belong to the same order, let alone family. Salvia is a member of the mint family! While Cannabis is closely related to the hop.

Cannabis sativa - Order: Rosales, Family: Cannabaceae, Genus: Cannabis

Salvia divinroum - Order: Lamiales, Family: Lamiaceae, Genus: Salvia

I heard a weird one on Radio 4 today (must be true); apparently the Eskimos (Inuit?) feed their reindeer on the red and white toadstool we all know from the woods / fairy stories. The Eskimos then drink the reindeer urine to get an amazing high. I'd stick to the Salvia if I were you!!

That so?

As I have the pleasure of knowing Paul in his professional capacity as well as through the forum, I can safely say, on matters of horticulture, I'm entirely confident that if that's what he says, then it's accurate.

I hate marijuana, but think it should be legalized and taxed. On the other hand, I'm opposed to ANY government benefits toward addicts. I also believe that drug and alcohol use should be considered an aggravating factor at sentencing following related criminal convictions.

So be responsible. If you aren't, a squat in Burnely might seem heaven by comparison (to use an analogy provided by another poster).

On the basis that smoking it and driving can kill people? As I was asking Paul, does this mean alcohol should be made illegal too?

When I posted the link I wasn't intending to get involved in a discussion on legalising drugs. It was probably a mistake to quote BJW's post, it was the combination of reading the post and having just read about the dead cyclists that stimulated me to do so. In my mind was millions of users will argue, probably quite rightly, marijuana is, for most people, no more harmful than alcohol, it's use, or misuse, can have devastating consequences. Because the cyclists were enjoying nothing more than a Sunday ride, something I do most weeks in the same situation, it hit a particular nerve for me.

I hope we both know the argument to make alcohol illegal because drink drivers kill people is a fruitless one. Alcohol is deeply ingrained in society at many different levels and to make it illegal simply would not work. I do appreciate the argument can be made if alcohol is legal than marijuana should be legalised as well, on the basis the two are probably equally harmful to the user. I'd hope we can agree that while the point is perfectly logical it is unlikley to happen (banning alcohol) and so the discussion becomes pretty pointless. We can't ban cars because people drive recklessly but do we need to introduce more legal dangers to society?

I don't have any particular issue with people using recreational drugs, I chose not to myself. I feel one of the main reasons against legalisation of recreational drugs is this would create yet more need to educate users in what is and what is not acceptable. We know how long it took to make drink-driving socially unacceptable, do we need this with a whole raft of recreational drugs? I feel we don't. I imagine, though I don't know, it would be far harder to legally regulate the level of drug use acceptable in a whole range of situations, not just driving, than it is to regulate alcohol use. Again without being able to substantiate this factually it's my understanding users cannot know the "purity" levels etc of what they are taking, on one occassion a single spliff could render a driver incapable on another it could be five? Legalising marijuana, or any other drug, will not suddenly clean up the supply chain, there will not suddenly be regulated sources of drugs with known strengths as there is with alcohol. It would create a minefield in this respect. Most of us know after drinking heavily at least 12 hours need to pass before we can legally, (and safely?) drive, I doubt the same can be said for recreational drugs.

Having said that when one looks at the manner in which people use alcohol perhaps it should be priced out of reach, though I've little doubt this would simply create a huge black market and will never happen regardless of the government's (all parties) proposals.

Archived