BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams Leaves

Ray P

That is just downright offensive to my way of reading it.

JW was comfortably remunerated but he was not only the best Chairman/CEO in the PL, he was also paid the least.

Never let the facts come before your irrational prejudice eh mhead?

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought JW was a great guy and really professional.

But things move on...and like a Football Manager the end is not usually in the way you want it or would plan it yourself. But at least you get remunerated.160,000 per year to be Chairman of 'our' football club.

Its a fair exchange and not the same relationship as 'ours'. What's prejudiced about that?

I thought JW was a great guy and really professional.

But things move on...and like a Football Manager the end is not usually in the way you want it or would plan it yourself. But at least you get remunerated.160,000 per year to be Chairman of 'our' football club.

Its a fair exchange and not the same relationship as 'ours'. What's prejudiced about that?

don’t be silly, when a cricketer retires, he has had enough, his body can take no more, his career has run its course. JW, on the other hand, well, he is by no means at the end of his career, in fact his innings can still go for at least another 5 years. He was a vital member of the background team, a man who kept things consistent on a daily basis. Like I said, he made mistakes, but those mistakes were hidden behind all the great work that he had done over the years. If Venky's were smart enough, they would have realised the importance of him, not just as the chairman, but also as a people's person, who had a great relationship with the fans, and the league, whether it was with other chairmen, or other clubs managers, the FA etc.

Stagnant thinking.Fear of the Unknown.This thread is disappearing somewhere anal.

Can Philip L. just remind me of JW's average salary over these 13 years...talk about 'Fame AND Fortune'

To use a cricket analogy he had a good innings and its time for him to move into retirement and Rovers to move on.

The big question is 'will he buy an OAP Season Ticket?'

As an ex cricketer, its not neccessarily the body, your eyes start to go as you get older and you are unable to pick the ball up as quickly as you could in earlier days, JWs brain is still very sharp and he could continue for years.

don’t be silly, when a cricketer retires, he has had enough, his body can take no more, his career has run its course. JW, on the other hand, well, he is by no means at the end of his career, in fact his innings can still go for at least another 5 years. He was a vital member of the background team, a man who kept things consistent on a daily basis. Like I said, he made mistakes, but those mistakes were hidden behind all the great work that he had done over the years. If Venky's were smart enough, they would have realised the importance of him, not just as the chairman, but also as a people's person, who had a great relationship with the fans, and the league, whether it was with other chairmen, or other clubs managers, the FA etc.

Iceman, it's Cilla here, you thought you would never see your real Father again, but I have a surprise for you, here he is after 25 years all the way from England, John Williams.

Surprise, Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes, The unpredictable, that's the surprise you see, Surprise! Surprise!

I think you get should get over it seriously, we have to move on.

Iceman, it's Cilla here, you thought you would never see your real Father again, but I have a surprise for you, here he is after 25 years all the way from England, John Williams.

Surprise, Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes, The unpredictable, that's the surprise you see, Surprise! Surprise!

I think you get should get over it seriously, we have to move on.

Oh dear, a totally pointless post offering nothing to the debate in question, at least put a valid argument.

Oh dear, a totally pointless post offering nothing to the debate in question, at least put a valid argument.

point taken, it's just a case of the king is dead, long live the king.

People making him out to be irreplaceable, new era, new chairman, new backing, we'll be fine.

point taken, it's just a case of the king is dead, long live the king.

People making him out to be irreplaceable, new era, new chairman, new backing, we'll be fine.

Paul,

No one person is irreplacable, however, the owners along with their advisors are making some awful and staggering decisions, if it was felt most of these were sensible ones, I may agree with some of what you say, I am worried that the next chairman will be another one of their cocked up plans, I just shudder to think what they will do next!!

Paul,

No one person is irreplacable, however, the owners along with their advisors are making some awful and staggering decisions, if it was felt most of these were sensible ones, I may agree with some of what you say, I am worried that the next chairman will be another one of their cocked up plans, I just shudder to think what they will do next!!

I don't know if you read the LET article but Venkys seem to be in it for the long haul. That means we will have a steady investiment.

You and I both know John Williams even if he stays has little to no say over the manager or who is the next manager and he sure as hell can't budget now.

John Williams existance at Blackburn became pointless in the new era.

He was on life support, they have just turned him off.

As great as Williams was nothing under him was exciting in the last 5 years, he was just working hard at making Blackburn exist.

I think the future looks A LOT more exciting.

I hope we beat Newcastle first.

I don't know if you read the LET article but Venkys seem to be in it for the long haul. That means we will have a steady investiment.

You and I both know John Williams even if he stays has little to no say over the manager or who is the next manager and he sure as hell can't budget now.

John Williams existance at Blackburn became pointless in the new era.

He was on life support, they have just turned him off.

As great as Williams was nothing under him was exciting in the last 5 years, he was just working hard at making Blackburn exist.

I think the future looks A LOT more exciting.

I hope we beat Newcastle first.

Have you read the other stories about what Venkys said they would and would not do? You believe this statement by them why?

I thought the life support analogy in bad taste even by my twisted standards.

This fits better-

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, we are going to have some motherclucking problems.

Have you read the other stories about what Venkys said they would and would not do? You believe this statement by them why?

This fits better-

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, we are going to have some motherclucking problems.

Strange that, I always told my kids this, you can get away with it once, maybe twice, but never, never, never, three times!

Thats why I dont believe our new owners!!

Whether or not you agree that JW's time was up, the issue that I have, is the way its been conducted.

Yes, we have new owners who have every right to run the club the way they choose to. In 90% of the takeovers I've seen, the top man has usually left very soon after the new owners come in.

But, and her's a big but. A football club is not like a business. A football club has invested in the community in which it operates over a number of years. In our case 130 years. A football club has a lasting legacy within the area that it operates and has a duty to the fans of the club who support it through better or worse.

Our club has invested many many years in acting in a tremendously ethical way . Put simply - we do things the proper way at Ewood and always have.

When the Venky family took on the club, they spoke about being attracted to the club because of its traditions and standing. They liked it was a family run club and saw something of a kindered spirit in the way that they like to operate.

but we now know this to be absolute rubbish. I'd love to believe the words coming out of our owners mouths, but Im afraid they have lost me. I hate being lied too. And I hate it even more when they consistently lie to me and the other 30,000 fans who invest time, money and loyalty.

The last time I commented on the Venkys, I honestly thought that it was just a communication issue, that could be put right with an expert communications plan, policy and commitment.

It's just a crying shame that the Venkys have clearly not done their research where the fans are concerned. If they had, they would have moved heaven and earth to keep john happy. To get him onside ( even after the sam decision) and get him doing what he does best. Running this fine football club.

The recent upturn in the style of football is now tainted. I know football fans are fickle and if we win the next 3 home games then the fans will be chanting the venkys name.

But some people have longer memories than that. Some people believe in honesty, integrity and doing things the 'right way'. And those people will lose some of that special affection they have for our club.

This fits better-

Them Venky are all about pride, they don't want a team full of Dickov's and Andrew's which is what we ended up with under Williams, (not blaming him just his later era).

The next time we get a Bentley, Bellamy, Santa Cruz maybe we can say ok lets kick on rather then look for the sell and go backwards.

Williams never stopped us going backwards he stopped us falling apart.

That job is dimished at present.

Not saying it will all work our rosey but need to give it a go.

Whether or not you agree that JW's time was up, the issue that I have, is the way its been conducted.

Yes, we have new owners who have every right to run the club the way they choose to. In 90% of the takeovers I've seen, the top man has usually left very soon after the new owners come in.

But, and her's a big but. A football club is not like a business. A football club has invested in the community in which it operates over a number of years. In our case 130 years. A football club has a lasting legacy within the area that it operates and has a duty to the fans of the club who support it through better or worse.

Our club has invested many many years in acting in a tremendously ethical way . Put simply - we do things the proper way at Ewood and always have.

When the Venky family took on the club, they spoke about being attracted to the club because of its traditions and standing. They liked it was a family run club and saw something of a kindered spirit in the way that they like to operate.

but we now know this to be absolute rubbish. I'd love to believe the words coming out of our owners mouths, but Im afraid they have lost me. I hate being lied too. And I hate it even more when they consistently lie to me and the other 30,000 fans who invest time, money and loyalty.

The last time I commented on the Venkys, I honestly thought that it was just a communication issue, that could be put right with an expert communications plan, policy and commitment.

It's just a crying shame that the Venkys have clearly not done their research where the fans are concerned. If they had, they would have moved heaven and earth to keep john happy. To get him onside ( even after the sam decision) and get him doing what he does best. Running this fine football club.

The recent upturn in the style of football is now tainted. I know football fans are fickle and if we win the next 3 home games then the fans will be chanting the venkys name.

But some people have longer memories than that. Some people believe in honesty, integrity and doing things the 'right way'. And those people will lose some of that special affection they have for our club.

Major respect for that post Andy.

Good job that man.

practice what you preach:

Parkes, who spent 34 years as player and coach at Rovers, told BBC Radio Lancashire: "Usually Blackburn do it the right way, but they got it wrong.

"I think I deserve a bit more respect than to have my daughter telling me she's just heard it on the radio."

Parkes should have been told directly by the club of its decision to dispense with his services.

practice what you preach:

Parkes, who spent 34 years as player and coach at Rovers, told BBC Radio Lancashire: "Usually Blackburn do it the right way, but they got it wrong.

"I think I deserve a bit more respect than to have my daughter telling me she's just heard it on the radio."

Parkes should have been told directly by the club of its decision to dispense with his services.

Agree it was a low moment and thankfully you could count those on your left hand over the past 15 years.

Unfortunately, I need both hands and both feet to count how many times the new regime has got it wrong.

I think everyone put their hand up that the Tony Parkes situation was handled badly. As I understand it, there was a bungle leading to a leak.

The John Williams situation is different because we are talking about the club Chairman- the face of Blackburn Rovers in all aspects except the football field and the person to whom every paid employee is responsible in the final analysis.

The way he has been handled with public talking of toeing the line and the comments made in the Manchester hotel suite are not the sort of thing you would expect to be happening in respect of a highly respected industry figure and Chairman of a £57m PLC. The impact of all this within football is to reflect very negatively on the new owners and there has been no dimmunition of the high regard John Williams is held in.

In fact the vast majority of football would look at the three aspects John has been faulted on by Mrs Desai:

- the timing and manner of Sam's dismissal

- the poor relationship with an unexpectedly (over?) -promoted new manager who goes direct to the owners

- having issues of Jerome Anderson's role

are ones that they admire John for his guts in tackling.

In fact the vast majority of football would look at the three aspects John has been faulted on by Mrs Desai:

The vast majority of the football world will think news today, tomorrows chip paper.

did you hear about the Portsmouth protest, I did, I saw 3 seconds of it at 12.30 am on BBC.

Now they have problems and still no one cares.

Win at Newcastle will go a long way to making this chip paper.

I think everyone put their hand up that the Tony Parkes situation was handled badly. As I understand it, there was a bungle leading to a leak.

The John Williams situation is different because we are talking about the club Chairman- the face of Blackburn Rovers in all aspects except the football field and the person to whom every paid employee is responsible in the final analysis.

The way he has been handled with public talking of toeing the line and the comments made in the Manchester hotel suite are not the sort of thing you would expect to be happening in respect of a highly respected industry figure and Chairman of a £57m PLC. The impact of all this within football is to reflect very negatively on the new owners and there has been no dimmunition of the high regard John Williams is held in.

- the timing and manner of Sam's dismissal

- the poor relationship with an unexpectedly (over?) -promoted new manager who goes direct to the owners

- having issues of Jerome Anderson's role

are ones that they admire John for his guts in tackling.

What are these comments in the Manchester Hotel Suite then?

The vast majority of the football world will think news today, tomorrows chip paper.

did you hear about the Portsmouth protest, I did, I saw 3 seconds of it at 12.30 am on BBC.

Now they have problems and still no one cares.

Win at Newcastle will go a long way to making this chip paper.

The ephemery of the news media and some supporters' attention spans. Let's hope you are right in one respect- because that would mean the Venky's are making correct decisions moving forwards.

But JW is too large a football figure ever to be forgotten in Rovers' history and his absence will leave a large void at the Premier League as well.

Archived