BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams Leaves

Ray P

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I know that he did not get along with Steve (Kean) and he had struggled to accept Jerome (Anderson)'s role at the club." LT interview with Mrs D by David Watkinson

Crickey, when and why has Kean earned so much power in the club!?

Better be careful what we say on here, disagree with Kean and we might get banned from teh ground.

I wonder what, specifically, JW disagreed with Kean on? Possibly Saxoman is right about Kean being part of getting rid of Sam.

Did super kean brown nose his way into the job then? I'll bet he stabbed sam in the back to get the job.

I think that is harsh on Kean.

Sam got sacked because the new owners didn't like him, I don't think Kean had anything to do with it.

Kean was initially given 3 months (or whatever it was) and instead of just sitting on that he took the bull by the horns and flew out to India to speak to the owners and by doing this he gained control of the dressing room and earned himself a contract.

He could have been the typical caretaker manager and just waited to see what would happen but he put himself forward.

Maybe he could see that the relationship between Mr Williams and the owners wasn't good so he bypassed him and went straight to the owners. If the manager hadn't taken control I think we would be in a complete mess now but it appears that the players are on his side.

I don't like the way Mr Williams left the club and I didn't like the interview in the LET about him losing interest, it was completely unnecessary.

I think Venkys will be brilliant for our club in the medium to long term.

I hope you are correct, but your assessment simply cannot be of their performance so far, so to enlighten me and others, please tell me how you have arrived at such an opinion?

Why do you believe that?

Firstly they were cleared by the trust, who many said we should trust. Secondly they are recognised as well respected business people, their businesses being successful-all of them. Thirdly in a bizarre way their poor PR is endearing in the sense that they are too honest, what they are thinking they will say. Fourthly I work with EAL speakers and you have to take this into account when you listen to their interviews, for example we may say that Sam is a respected bloke, they said he is a lovely guy- sounding a little strange!

Finally I am an optimist, I can do nothing about the future but I can effect the present by supporting a group of people who have spent a substantial amount of money into our club.

Too many decisions too soon, they could live to regret it. Why not learn to crawl 1st, then stand up, and then walk, before running? All that had to happen, was for them to use JW in a more positive manner. Instead, he was made to do the dirty work, when the owners were unable to do it themselves.

Some members on here have been dead against Venky's right from the word go. Nothing is going to change theirs minds and they will do everything they can to 'bad mouth' and criticize the clubs new owners at every possible opportunity.

Too many decisions too soon, they could live to regret it. Why not learn to crawl 1st, then stand up, and then walk, before running? All that had to happen, was for them to use JW in a more positive manner. Instead, he was made to do the dirty work, when the owners were unable to do it themselves.

Spot on.

I'll say what I've said before. What they could have done was put one of the brothers in Ewood working next to JW for 12 months in order to learn the ropes. If I'd have spent almost £60m on a new acquisition whose business I had very liitle knowledge of, it would have been a 'no brainer'.

Finally I am an optimist, I can do nothing about the future but I can effect the present by supporting a group of people who have spent a substantial amount of money into our club.

To me, the willingness to spend to acquire talent and move us up the ladder is a big plus IF if it is Venkys money being spent. If instead the Rovers are being driven into deeper debt, I have severe reservations.

So Anderson's golden boy brown-nosed the owners while stabbing Sam in the back - he certainly wanted the job then! President of the galaxy next I would think

We don't know this to be true. What we do know is [from news articles] that:

1. Venkys pledged to let management run out the balance of their contracts.

2. Within a few months both Sam and JW were gone.

3. Jerome Anderson, at least, wanted to keep Sam until the summer (when his contract ended).

4. Venkys let Sam go as they wanted more postive football and distrusted his judgement in the transfer market.

5. Venkys referenced JW losing interest in the club, though some reports have him being marginalized.

6. Kean was appointed interim manager and only given a longer contract when: he used his initiative to travel to India; and, won a massive match against Liverpool.

7. No one in authority has alleged that Kean has stabbed Sam in the back, Kean has repeatedly denied it, but JW's relationship with Kean was strained.

8. JW was apparently out of the trnasfer loop, at least when it came to Ronaldinho.

9. The Trust apparently let JW and Sam have free reign, but no money.

10. Venkys is apparently spending money but won't let their upper managers have free reign.

In my opinion, based on the dots we do have and connecting them in my poor way, Kean got the job as he showed intitiative and a positive recommendation from Jerome Anderson. I suspect that was reassuring to our new owners who did not necessarily feel that the old way of doing things were in their interests. JW may have been offended as Kean, Anderson and Co. did an end run around him and dealt directly with the owners rather than going through the Chairman, which I imagine is more traditional. Coupled with other slights, being forced to fire Sam for example, I imagine he had enough and was beginning to take things personally.

So the break down does not require any 'back stabbing'. The old adage, never credit to malice which can be accounted for by stupidity, is applicable here, I think.

This I agree with. I assume that Venkys thinks it best to clear house from the start as opposed to gradually. This may be true in the business world were both executives and factory workers are almost fungible, but I am not sure its true in the world of football, with super star attitudes, transfer windows, and other practical and legal limitations on their ability to make quick course adjustments.

I hope their gamble pays off.

Spot on.

I'll say what I've said before. What they could have done was put one of the brothers in Ewood working next to JW for 12 months in order to learn the ropes. If I'd have spent almost £60m on a new acquisition whose business I had very liitle knowledge of, it would have been a 'no brainer'.

he could have made JW his tea.

Whether or not you agree that JW's time was up, the issue that I have, is the way its been conducted.

Yes, we have new owners who have every right to run the club the way they choose to. In 90% of the takeovers I've seen, the top man has usually left very soon after the new owners come in.

But, and her's a big but. A football club is not like a business. A football club has invested in the community in which it operates over a number of years. In our case 130 years. A football club has a lasting legacy within the area that it operates and has a duty to the fans of the club who support it through better or worse.

Our club has invested many many years in acting in a tremendously ethical way . Put simply - we do things the proper way at Ewood and always have.

When the Venky family took on the club, they spoke about being attracted to the club because of its traditions and standing. They liked it was a family run club and saw something of a kindered spirit in the way that they like to operate.

but we now know this to be absolute rubbish. I'd love to believe the words coming out of our owners mouths, but Im afraid they have lost me. I hate being lied too. And I hate it even more when they consistently lie to me and the other 30,000 fans who invest time, money and loyalty.

The last time I commented on the Venkys, I honestly thought that it was just a communication issue, that could be put right with an expert communications plan, policy and commitment.

It's just a crying shame that the Venkys have clearly not done their research where the fans are concerned. If they had, they would have moved heaven and earth to keep john happy. To get him onside ( even after the sam decision) and get him doing what he does best. Running this fine football club.

The recent upturn in the style of football is now tainted. I know football fans are fickle and if we win the next 3 home games then the fans will be chanting the venkys name.

But some people have longer memories than that. Some people believe in honesty, integrity and doing things the 'right way'. And those people will lose some of that special affection they have for our club.

Please explain why Sam's and JW's departures have been conducted in the wrong manner.

New owners have come in, want a change in the direction on the pitch. Sam gets a swift and honourable pay off. In fact an overgenerous one. 12 month pay off for the six months remaining on his contract.

The change in ownership means JW's responsibilities are reduced. He probably isn't happy with that nor with Sam's departure. Probably thinks it is the right time to go. Again AGREES a swift and honourable settlement with the owners.

If it had been handled in the wrong way both would would have left the Club unilaterally and would now be planning legal proceedings with us refusing to pay them because they walked out.

Honestly, do people expect new owners to commit up to a total of 54m for the Club and then not be able to run it as they see fit, but rather be dictated to by a couple of their employees?

To me, the willingness to spend to acquire talent and move us up the ladder is a big plus IF if it is Venkys money being spent. If instead the Rovers are being driven into deeper debt, I have severe reservations.

We don't know this to be true. What we do know is [from news articles] that:

1. Venkys pledged to let management run out the balance of their contracts.

2. Within a few months both Sam and JW were gone.

3. Jerome Anderson, at least, wanted to keep Sam until the summer (when his contract ended).

4. Venkys let Sam go as they wanted more postive football and distrusted his judgement in the transfer market.

5. Venkys referenced JW losing interest in the club, though some reports have him being marginalized.

6. Kean was appointed interim manager and only given a longer contract when: he used his initiative to travel to India; and, won a massive match against Liverpool.

7. No one in authority has alleged that Kean has stabbed Sam in the back, Kean has repeatedly denied it, but JW's relationship with Kean was strained.

8. JW was apparently out of the trnasfer loop, at least when it came to Ronaldinho.

9. The Trust apparently let JW and Sam have free reign, but no money.

10. Venkys is apparently spending money but won't let their upper managers have free reign.

Or, maybe something like this happened:

1] Venky's, who are being advised by Kentaro throughout and who know nothing of Professional football, Blackburn Rovers, Sam Allardyce or this supposed brand of football that we play, purchase the club.

2] Venky's put in their legal document offer to minority shareholders, saying that they intend to keep the current management structure.

3] Venky's sack Allardyce after three weeks, saying that it was always their intention to sack him, even though they have just put in in a legal document that said that they wouldn't. Maybe someone else told Venky's that they needed to get rid of Sam, in order to proceed to the next stage?

4] Venky's appoint a new manager without even putting together a short list - which they originally said they would do. The new manager is a Kentaro man. Could we assume that Keen wasn't known to Venky's, when he was appointed? Could we assume that Keen was put forward by Kentaro? Could we assume that Kentaro/Venky's had always been intending to appoint someone who would go along with their vision, when a bigger name manager wouldn't?

5] Could it be true that the stories from the outset that JW wasn't impressed by the way Venky's went about their business, were in fact quite accurate? Many people thought that was the case and said so at the time. Was it possible that JW did his utmost to point Venky's in the right direction, but all to no avail? Could it be true that JW didn't in fact become disinterested in the club that he had almost single handedly run in a fabulous fashion for so many years? Could the truth be that JW did in fact, come to the conclusion that he didn't have the necessary confidence in Venky's, to run the club in a way that he believed was necessary for the club's ultimate wellbeing?

No? Well until someone shows me otherwise, I have my own ideas and my own suspicions.

Archived