BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Yeah be careful Al, it's the mighty Wigan you're dissing.

What sort of reply is that ? You stuck for words ?

Well, it started off as 'Wigan are the MU of Rugby League.' When it was proved that the club, in fact, wasn't, you then moved on to having a go at the supporters instead. When I found out you were a Hornets fan, Tyrone, as well as being a Rover, I was looking forward to having some good discussions with you. I've only been involved in RL for around fifteen years and always found a sort of togetherness with RL supporters of various clubs. You seem to to be a bit of a mystery in that regard, or should I have typed misery?

Edited by Claytons Left Boot

No not really. Ask any other Rugby League fan that supports a team other than Wigan. They have got a similar reputation to Man Utd fans. The have that similar arrogance that lets them think they have a divine right to win things every season. Like a said, the " Wigan Walk " is famous throughout Rugby League. Not all Wigan fans are like that, but quite a lot are. I've got a few really good mates who follow Wigan and they try to keep a level head but now and again it sneaks out. They're the sort of guys who'll be booking their hotel for the London RL Cup Final six months in advance. The minute they get knocked out they cancel the booking. You're right about the togetherness in Rugby League, it's like one big family really but as in most families we don't always see eye to eye.

I don't have much to say about Super League because I never watch it. It's the worst thing that ever happened the game of Rugby League. Ultimately it'll kill the game as we know it, it's too late to change things back again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Well, it started off as 'Wigan are the MU of Rugby League.' When it was proved that the club, in fact, wasn't, you then moved on to having a go at the supporters instead. When I found out you were a Hornets fan, Tyrone, as well as being a Rover, I was looking forward to having some good discussions with you. I've only been involved in RL for around fifteen years and always found a sort of togetherness with RL supporters of various clubs. You seem to to be a bit of a mystery in that regard, or should I have typed misery?

Sorry but you PROVED nothing. Don't want to fall out with you about it but I'm not having that.

Sorry but you PROVED nothing. Don't want to fall out with you about it but I'm not having that.

Al, Al........Al. You're tying yourself in knots here :lol:

You started the whole argument off by saying Wigan were the MU of Rugby League. Our supporters weren't mentioned at all, you simply said we'd buy our way out of trouble. We are not in trouble and both koi and myself outlined reasons why we are not like MU, ie. no particular excessive spending and an investment in youth.

In fact, you replied to my response by saying you knew very little about Rugby League and you were just going off what others had said. Tyrone then said you weren't wrong and started having a go at Wigan, not the club but their support. Make up your minds lads. :lol:

Yes, other fans do go on about the 'Wigan Walk.' For your information, this is when a tiny proportion our fans sometimes leave early when the team are getting beaten, say 10 mins or so before the end of the game. It's been a bit like when Burnley fans used to claim an away support of 5k or so for each away game. Say it ad infinitum and it eventually sticks. No fans of any other RL team leave early when they losing.....ever! :lol:

Anyway, this is the last I'll post in this little spat, it's diverting things away from general good discussion. I've stopped posting on the main Messageboard because all and sundry seem to want to moan and argue. Please (you two) don't turn this particular thread into the same.

Roll on tomorrow and all things Rugby League.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot

Yeah be careful Al, it's the mighty Wigan you're dissing.

What sort of reply is that ? You stuck for words ?

Well Al admits he knows nothing about RL yet feels free to troll..

Stuck for words? not really just can't be bothered, don't really care what other fans think our the club I support especially when all they can come up with is the 'wigan walk' not that I see any complaints when we take 1000's to away games giving some clubs their biggest payday of the season..

Man Utd fans use exactly that argument all the time.

Al brought up the point that in the Rugby League world Wigan are viewed in the same way as Utd are. From a sporting point of view I wouldn't agree. Wigan bring more than their share of players through. Having said that before the salary cap they weren't averse to getting the cheque book out when they felt like it. They took, Henderson Gill, Martin Hall, Neil Cowie and Danny Sculthorpe from Hornets for instance.

Where I'd say Al is right is the view the rest of the Rugby League has of Wigan fans. You are seen as having the same sort of attitudes most people dislike in Utd fans. Wether you like it or not, that is the general perception. As my mum used to say " If the cap fits, wear it ".

Did you not agree with uncle jack splashing the cash or does the cap not fit ?

And that has got exactly what to do with Rugby League ?

Maybe I get it now, is it a cryptic question regarding the salary cap ?

As far as the salary cap goes it's certainly levelled up the Super League playing field. It's a bit less of a one or two horse race now. In the old days when Wigan first went full time professional and all the other clubs were still part time it got ridiculous, nobody could really compete and even some of the Wigan fans I know were getting bored. It wasn't a question of wether they were going to win or not it was by how many. The only trouble is it enables Aussie Clubs and Union to pinch our better players.

Being a Hornets fan it's not really an issue for me. We get by on a budget about equal to Best's monthly wage !

Would it work in football ? It's a great idea but obviously and something needs to be done but it would have to be Worldwide and strictly enforced by the football authorities so it won't happen.

Mm, interesting one. When the Hornets sold their old ground ( The Athletic Grounds ) to "Morrisons " in about 1990 they were in a position to do just that. It was at the time people were paying daft prices for land and we got mega bucks for the site. It was a large site with a dog track around the pitch and in a prime position. That paid off all their debts and bought a half share in Rochdale AFC's ground at Spotland. We'd spent a little bit of dosh on the team to get promoted to what is now Super League and had over a million in the bank. Half of that was put in a trust with a legally binding provision not to be touched, just the interest was to be used. That was a massive amount of dosh in a part time game in 1990,

The coach at the time ( a sort of Stan Ternent type ) didn't want to blow the dosh right away so the board sacked him and brought in a coach who would. What followed was a terrible season where we only won one league game, got relegated, and blew most of the dosh in an attempt to stay up on players who either not good enough or past it or just in it for the money. Ring any bells ?

From that time it was downhill slowly and steadily all the way until a few years ago. We managed to blow the Sky money during that time as well. The club finally hit the buffers a couple of years ago and went into administration. The fans re-formed the club into a co-op and have turned things around. Last season we got promoted from the bottom tier to the next level up but it's going to be tough.

If Venkies had been given Jack's dosh they would have keaned up just like the well meaning people at Hornets did. Money doesn't always bring automatic success.

Wish I'd never bothered now but why do you make statements like "I proved" and "tying yourself up in Knots" plus references to trolling which clearly are untrue. It seems to be standard today to accuse anyone you do not agree with of being a troll.

Anyway I have no axe to grind on this subject but do object to being accused of trolling for what was initially just a throw away observation. Please just forget it.

Well a decent though slightly unconvincing win by Wigan this afternoon. Really need to sort this kicking out cos it was crap again!!

However good to see some more of the youngsters playing. Looking forward to seeing more of them as the season goes on.

As an aside, I bought the WCC shirt before the WCC. Of course it wasn't available in time before the WCC. Got an email on Thursday to collect it, so I went to Wigan town today, shop is closed. Brilliant!

They make Rovers look like an organised and efficient outfit!!

Mate reckons the WCC shirt a load a tat, was going to get one, will wait and see..

Need a kicker, would like more bulk in the forwards but a decent game for the youngsters. Interesting that Wane says he dropped Charnley, there was plenty of talk today that's he's as good as gone along with Micky Mac and Scott Taylor. This would worry me; next season the 100k rule comes in for those who have been academy trained for three or more years, this really should be a massive boost for Wigan as they could match the offers for the likes of Charnley and only have 100k on the cap. If the drain does continue then I would be asking serious questions.

Well a decent though slightly unconvincing win by Wigan this afternoon. Really need to sort this kicking out cos it was crap again!!

However good to see some more of the youngsters playing. Looking forward to seeing more of them as the season goes on.

Agree with that. I've got very good vibes about Bateman. He has some strength and I think he'll develop into a real star.

As an aside, I bought the WCC shirt before the WCC. Of course it wasn't available in time before the WCC. Got an email on Thursday to collect it, so I went to Wigan town today, shop is closed. Brilliant!

They make Rovers look like an organised and efficient outfit!!

It did say on the website that Warriors World was closed today :lol:

The shirt is really nice. I wore mine for the first time today.

Need a kicker, would like more bulk in the forwards but a decent game for the youngsters. Interesting that Wane says he dropped Charnley, there was plenty of talk today that's he's as good as gone along with Micky Mac and Scott Taylor. This would worry me; next season the 100k rule comes in for those who have been academy trained for three or more years, this really should be a massive boost for Wigan as they could match the offers for the likes of Charnley and only have 100k on the cap. If the drain does continue then I would be asking serious questions.

Yep, the kicking could cost us in the tighter games against the likes of Leeds, Warrington, Saints etc. Obviously doesn't matter too much against the likes of Wakey. Had heard the Charnley and Taylor rumours to Union and the NRL but the Mickey Mack story was news to me. NRL as well?

All three to NRL. Got to say that Charnley and Goulding were abysmal against Roosters, especially in defence so I'm guessing Wane has acted accordingly. I think we have enough in set-up to replace Charnley but Micky Mac would be a huge loss. I'm expecting Powell to be the next no.8 but not quite there yet. Taylor is a surprise, Id have thought he need a couple of more years in SL. Bateman looks class and I though Clubb did well.

Heard some talk today that Charnley's agent has been acting Charlie Big Time and making demands, Wane dropped him to show that he's far from irreplaceable..

I wonder why Burgess seems to throw-up through the game. He did it regularly when playing academy games, still, one hell of a try he scored after doing it!

Mate went to the academy game, they thrashed Wakefield with Williams in particular ripping them apart.

Not a good performance today by Wigan. Poor discipline with penalty after penalty given away and rank defending especially down our left hand side. First half even stevens but we never competed in the second half. We somehow managed to go over at the death, Smithy finally kicked one through from out wide and then we went one in front from a drop goal. Two minutes left and we couldn't see the game out and in the end got what we deserved.

What a bad weekend, only Chorley managing a win. Sounds like very poor discipline, not sure why that's come in. How long do you give Bowen? Watched a bit of Eels v Warriors and they had a youngish FB who looked a bit out of his depth, Tonkins or Tompkins, something like that, maybe get him in on a season loan until Hampshire is ready?