BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Well, things can only get better!

Bit like the start of last season, just didn't quite seem with it. The kicking (and handling) was especially awful. Hope they get it together for Sydney!! I know it will take a little while to gel with all the new players. It will end up alright within a few weeks.

I hope it's alright in two weeks Clare or we'll get a right royal stuffing in Sydney! Very poor last night although with Lockers out, last year's two wingers missing, new full back, rookie hooker and depleted/off form pack (Taylor apart) it was always on the cards that it was going to be a tough game. Trust me to take my union playing soon-to-be son in law to his first League game!

See we are expecting a support of around 1500-2000 in Australia. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Wish I was going, Enjoy!

Ahh Wigan....needed a better start to the game last night!! Did well to get closer into it in the second half but Roosters were just too strong. Wigan's kicking needs to improve massively, losing 2 points with every try is going to hurt us.

Was a big crowd on, but so weird that there's not been a single bit of advertising that I've seen the entire two weeks I've been here. But has been ace!!

Probably not the right thread for this, but;

Clare, it was fantastic to meet you today, such a great afternoon in one of Sydney's iconic pubs.

For those that haven't met Clare yet, go out of your way to do so, likes a pint, good company, and Rovers as well.

Can't get any better.

Clare, look forward to your return down under, look after yourself and come and see Vic and I as soon as you can make it.

Safe trip home, take care.

ps, sorry Wigan lost.

I know it's not rugby league but I watched the England v Ireland game yesterday. Watching England is like having teeth pulled. Their decision making is awful. They spent the last ten minutes of the game kicking any possession they had straight back to the Irish. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid Wales are 20 points better at the moment. Why Burgess would want to play Union I'll never know. There's more to life than a big bank account.

Ahhh....the old league v union rivalry. I watched the England game and found it an absorbing contest between two very tough teams. Both defences were excellent. Union has a much higher profile now than league and more money too. Will league be irrelevant soon ? From England rugby union's point of view I hope so.

Will league be irrelevant soon ? From England rugby union's point of view I hope so.

Well, the powers that be in Union don't think so. Andy Farrell & Co keep coming (and being invited unfortunately) to look at our set ups, see how we do things, especially on the fitness front, then cherry pick some of our best players. They're athletes, by the way, not overweight plodders. I watched the first 15 minutes of yesterday's borefest and had to turn it off. I was willing them to get the ball out wide and go for the line but they were having none of it, content simply to hoof the damned thing back and forward.

I've spoken to two amateur players recently who had both played League and Union and in that order. Both said League was the better, more exciting and athletic game even though they still enjoyed playing Union. They played in that order because once they got into their 30s it was physically impossible to carry on with League and had to settle for their more lethargic cousin.

Ahhh....the old league v union rivalry. I watched the England game and found it an absorbing contest between two very tough teams. Both defences were excellent. Union has a much higher profile now than league and more money too. Will league be irrelevant soon ? From England rugby union's point of view I hope so.

Irrelevant? Union is full of league coaches and players, many coming from the Wigan service area..

Terrible start, Bowen was awful and kicking needs sorting quick. On the other hand our very young team showed real promise at times. The sad thing is you know full well the RFU and NRL will pick them off one by one.

Is it sad or just the march of progress ? League and union players have often expressed the desire for there to be just one game known as rugby. If league is in terminal decline in this country (which it appears to be judging from research on the internet and the post above) would it not be better for the two sports to merge as soon as possible ? From an England point of view it would be most welcome.

How anyone would pay good money to watch that tripe is beyond me. There's a big common outside my front window and if thar game was being played there I would have drawn the blinds after about 20 minutes. As long as that's the level of completion League has nothing to fear.

It was on in the pub so I watched it. From an excitement point of view it was OK. Two bad teams together, mud wrestling. The try count tells you all you need to know. But from a rugby skills point of view it was dire. I'd really, really love England to batter Wales but for that to happen we'll have to improve at least 100 %.

Isn't that the point though ? England v Ireland was exciting because the teams were evenly matched and it became a test of strength and resolve and who would flinch first and make a mistake. It was so tense at the end I felt drained - I've rarely felt that about league because the scoring is so free.

League isn't in decline, at grass roots it's thriving, there's 1200 amateur teams in the London service area alone. North of Midlands RL is miles ahead of RU in England in numbers. Cumbria, many parts of Yorkshire & Lancs, N. Wales all have huge numbers of RL clubs. SKY viewing figures show a massive difference in viewing figures when they've televised both codes, in favour of League. The major problem RL has and has had for the last 15 years is a board of total idiots at RFL HQ.

My prediction; Wigan, Warrington, Salford, the Hull clubs, Cats and possibly Saints will look to break away from the current set-up possibly with a cross-code game. I know for a fact that RU have tried, tried and tried again to get Wigan involved but would have to be some massive changes to the RU game before that happens.

Whereas we are treat to endless minutes of Union players untangling themselves from a pile of bodies after the ref has whistled fro something nobody else saw and then standing steaming with hands on hips until a scrum is sorted out..... repeat to infinity.

Effectively all Rugby is for wannabee athletic types who like team sports and cameraderie along with a touch of machismo and a healthy dollop of the old 'Ultra V' involved but who couldn't trap a wet sandbag if their lives depended on it.

Edited by thenodrog

I'm far from an expert when it comes to Rugby, but league bores the pants off me most of the time.

5 tackles then kick and hope for the best isn't it? Repeat ad finitum.

As opposed to kick chase , all pile on , kick chase , all pile on with the odd lets lift a mate up and catch .. Zzzzz