BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If we go down who stays?

Purely theoretical speculation of course, but...

LEAVING:

Robinson, Salgado, Givet, Samba, Olsson, P.Jones, Pedersen, N'Zonzi, J.Jones, Hoilett, Diouf x2, Santa Cruz, Rochina, Benjani, Kalinic.

STAYING:

Bunn, Hanley, Nelsen, Grella, Dunn, Andrews, Emerton, Formica, Roberts.

Give or take a few of the youngsters as well. Still, this is just a silly game to pass the time and has nothing to do with reality what so ever.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LEAVING:

Robinson, Salgado, Givet, Samba, Olsson, P.Jones, Pedersen, N'Zonzi, J.Jones, Hoilett, Diouf x2, Santa Cruz, Rochina, Benjani, Kalinic.

STAYING:

Give or take a few of the youngsters as well. Still, this is just a silly game to pass the time and has nothing to do with reality what so ever.

I think Robinson would stay, he is not interested in getting more caps for England so no need to be in to the EPL.

Grella is his contract not up at the end of the season?

Dunn would want to stay but story I would rather a youngster was playing instead, time for him to join the media and comment on Rovers.

But I guess it would 100% depend on who were are getting in to be manager. 1 season in the Chumpionship might allow us to get rid of lots of deadwood around the club and start again.

I think Robinson would stay, he is not interested in getting more caps for England so no need to be in to the EPL.

Grella is his contract not up at the end of the season?

Dunn would want to stay but story I would rather a youngster was playing instead, time for him to join the media and comment on Rovers.

But I guess it would 100% depend on who were are getting in to be manager. 1 season in the Chumpionship might allow us to get rid of lots of deadwood around the club and start again.

I think Robbo said on MOTD2 he is only interested at playing at the top level. There would be plenty of teams interested in him and I would say he would be one of the definite departures, unfortunately.

LEAVING:

STAYING:

Pedersen will be staying as I can't see him getting the same money he's on now anywhere else. Rovers were robbed on that deal.

LEAVING:

STAYING:

I think your being too pessimistic about whose leaving. Olsson, Pedersen, Nzonzi, Rochina, Givet would all need buyers willing to lash out the money to make it worth our while to sell or they would have to kick up a real stink. They would all be looking to leave but realistically the best chance of that is performing in the Championship so we should be able to hold on for a while.

Anyway - we're not going down, please!

This is a tough one, as there are a whole host of players where it depends on whether we can get someone to bid for them, and then pay their wages. There's also the issue of what to do with our young stars; Phil Jones and Martin Olsson (Hoilett I fear would be gone... only has one year on his contract, we don't have much leverage there). We would get high fees for them, but on the other hand I don't think they're on massive wages and cutting wages - not getting transfer income - should be the focus, and we would obviously have great use for them. I guess it all comes down to how much we'd be able to get for them.

Now, note that this is sort of a mix between what I want us to do, and what I think will happen.

For various reasons I think we should keep the following senior players:

Bunn - Robinson will be gone, pretty obvious why we'd want Bunn to stay

Dunn - Should be able to utilize his skillset more than in the PL. Plus the local connection and all that

Salgado or Nelsen - Partly because it'd be hard to sell other clubs on players their age and on that kind of money. Partly because we need a leader, a captain. Got a feeling Salgado might retire though.

Andrews - I will either look very stupid or very good come May 2012, but if we get relegated, Keef will have a very good season in the Championship.

Roberts & Benjani - Precisely the type of strikers who'd look far better in the second tier.

Rochina - Looks very talented, and I think we'd be lucky in that there'll not be all that much interest in him.

Worth noting that that group includes many of our oldest players. I'd be looking at a team next season that has plenty of youngsters and a few real veterans, not a whole lot inbetween. Which leads to the next group;

Senior players who, if we get decent bids for them, should be sold:

Robinson - I'm a big fan of his, but he's a sellable asset, on a fairly decent salary, and we have Bunn, Fielding and Kean (Jake...).

Givet, Grella, Emerton, Pedersen, EH Diouf - Pretty obvious why.

Kalinic - He's not happy and while we won't get £6m there's probably still a decent fee to be had.

Some of them would still be here. Most likely to stay I think would be our longest serving player, Emerton. And Grella, since noone would pay for him. Samba is really in this group too, but I didn't want to lump him in with the rest of them. He's always been 100% committed on the pitch, but I also think he'd be delighted to move on to bigger things, and he'd command a high fee.

Then there's the ones I alluded to above, the valuable youngsters;

Hoilett, Jones, Olsson, N'Zonzi - Would raise money, but we'd also want to keep them. Should strive to keep at least one, but it also depends on who else leaves. If we can lower the wage bill enough, and get enough transfer money in, then there'd be less of a need to sell. Also of course depends on what these guys want.

No idea about Goulon, Linganzi and Formica.

And finally we should keep all the youngsters who have been in/around the first team so far; Morris, Hanley, Lowe, Doran, Gunning etc, and they should be given opportunities. Our academy products are key to a club like Rovers. Ideally as starters, but even if not then we should be looking at them for the backup roles rather than paying some veteran.

Archived