BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Blackburn Rovers 2000

Looking back, how many tickets did we sell that day? And why didn't it sell out?

Watched the DVD back the other day, and Dingles were singing 'You couldn't sell all your tickets'.

Just wanted a definitive answer if anyone has one!

Cheers :brfc:

The crowd was 23500, there was a couple of thousand empty in the Burnley end and in ours. Not sure really, think a lot of fuss was made home and away about potential trouble, so must have kept a lot away.

Considering we had 29000 on against Portsmouth and Huddersfield around that time, it does seem strange...

Sambo there was around 800 empty seats in the Rovers end. The main reason was that this game was the very first time when all fans who wanted to go had to be vetted giving your money up front then have a security check run on you before you were allowed to go. This alone put many off going.

This also meant Blackburn casual fringe couldnt get in, along with the fear of violence due to build up and the fact that it was just a couple of weeks before christmas, live on Sky Tv, all played a big part in there only being around 3200 Rovers fans come the day, but boy what a good day we all had.

Trouncing the clarets, shattering their home record at the time, oh what a great day it was to be a Rover and our dominance maintained.

Arte et labore :brfc: r

The crowd was 23500, there was a couple of thousand empty in the Burnley end and in ours. Not sure really, think a lot of fuss was made home and away about potential trouble, so must have kept a lot away.

Considering we had 29000 on against Portsmouth and Huddersfield around that time, it does seem strange...

I'm on about the wrong game, ha, yeah what JAL said!

Quite a few people wussed out is the long and short of it. There was widespread expectation that serious 1980s-type violence would occur with it being the first meeting in 17 years. And to be fair there would have been if the police hadn't mounted what must have been one of the very first "bubble game" operations which left the Burnley fans rioting in their own town instead of fighting with us. I know a few season ticket holders who were too scared to go. Glad I went though, phenomenal atmosphere and of course the birthplace of many amusing Dingle-related chants.

Yeah nobody was sure if it would kick off so wouldnt go. I struggled to get any of my mates to go because of what they were hearing....eventually some bird said 'il come with ya' - so why not!!

We even ended in the local boozer just up the road from the ground....dangerous experience.

In the Ewood Arms before getting the coaches- absolutely fantastic atmosphere in there.

Aye, as a previous poster said, it was the first time 'Dingle' really got going as a term of endearment- I don't think I've said 'Burnley' for years!

Sambo there was around 800 empty seats in the Rovers end. The main reason was that this game was the very first time when all fans who wanted to go had to be vetted giving your money up front then have a security check run on you before you were allowed to go. This alone put many off going.

This also meant Blackburn casual fringe couldnt get in, along with the fear of violence due to build up and the fact that it was just a couple of weeks before christmas, live on Sky Tv, all played a big part in there only being around 3200 Rovers fans come the day, but boy what a good day we all had.

Trouncing the clarets, shattering their home record at the time, oh what a great day it was to be a Rover and our dominance maintained.

Arte et labore :brfc: r

It was probably a pre-requisite to all the security checks that JAL mentions, but seem to remember that tickets were only ever on sale to Rovers ST holders - no matter how many games you'd been to, if it was as a 'walk on' you couldn't get a ticket for this one.

Another thing I remember is that a firework came through the back of the stand through a small hole and almost hit us....Hill-arious it just pumped our crowd up even more.

It was also great seeing the dingles breaking out from the side stands and running towards the Blackburn Fans whilst being rugby tackled by stewards!! So funny!

It was probably a pre-requisite to all the security checks that JAL mentions, but seem to remember that tickets were only ever on sale to Rovers ST holders - no matter how many games you'd been to, if it was as a 'walk on' you couldn't get a ticket for this one.

Exactly, that why I mentioned casual supporters just could not go unless a season ticket holder was going to take a big risk for you.

It was also great seeing the dingles breaking out from the side stands and running towards the Blackburn Fans whilst being rugby tackled by stewards!! So funny!

Yeah I honestly thought they were gonna charge us at that point. Ball had just been sent off and about 20 of their fans jumped over the sponsor boards and started gesturing to those behind them to come. I remember the Rovers fans seeing it and issuing a massive roar, kinda like a battle cry, dunno if that put them off or they just couldn't muster up the numbers but they just hung around for 30 seconds before the police shoved them back into the stand. A minute later and there were about 200 coppers lining the pitch on all 4 sides.

Yeah I honestly thought they were gonna charge us at that point. Ball had just been sent off and about 20 of their fans jumped over the sponsor boards and started gesturing to those behind them to come. I remember the Rovers fans seeing it and issuing a massive roar, kinda like a battle cry, dunno if that put them off or they just couldn't muster up the numbers but they just hung around for 30 seconds before the police shoved them back into the stand. A minute later and there were about 200 coppers lining the pitch on all 4 sides.

I just remember the Rovers fans going

'SCUM, SCUM, SCUM, SCUM' at the Longside as they 'charged' at the police line.

Happy days.

Thanks for the replies guys, the atmosphere did sound electric.

So much anger, and dare I say hatred in the chants from each end.

Some good banter, heard 'Stand up if you've won the league', 'You've never won F all' (Dingles responded with 'tell us more'), 'who let the dingles out'.

Did fans get the train there? Sounds like it was unrestricted like in 2005, which sounds carnage. Bet many opted for the safety of the official coaches though!

Always wondered, which was best? 2000, 2005 or 2010? Only went in 2010 as I'm 19 now, but it was amazing, we made some outrageous noise. 2000 was the first in years though so bet a lot loved it.

Cheers for the replies, love hearing about derby day!

Having been present for the 2000 and 2010 games i'd say both were as equally enjoyable, yet with one noticeable difference. In that 2000 the Burnley fans were up for it, creating a good atmosphere, whilst in 2010 the Burnley fans were a demoralised bunch that simply werent up for the fight unlike 2000.

Fantastic memories... true about the ticket restrictions and fear factor for families... also a few were blocked off at the end of the stand i seem to remember.

But there wern't many empty overall as the official attendance wasnt far off the ground's capacity.

There was a poor showing for the home game that year too, due to the same reasons.

Thanks for the replies guys, the atmosphere did sound electric.

So much anger, and dare I say hatred in the chants from each end.

Some good banter, heard 'Stand up if you've won the league', 'You've never won F all' (Dingles responded with 'tell us more'), 'who let the dingles out'.

Did fans get the train there? Sounds like it was unrestricted like in 2005, which sounds carnage. Bet many opted for the safety of the official coaches though!

Always wondered, which was best? 2000, 2005 or 2010? Only went in 2010 as I'm 19 now, but it was amazing, we made some outrageous noise. 2000 was the first in years though so bet a lot loved it.

Cheers for the replies, love hearing about derby day!

It was probably 'Trelleborg' that they sang not 'tell us more'

Fantastic memories... true about the ticket restrictions and fear factor for families... also a few were blocked off at the end of the stand i seem to remember.

But there wern't many empty overall as the official attendance wasnt far off the ground's capacity.

There was a poor showing for the home game that year too, due to the same reasons.

We all wanted to go but only had 2 season tickets, so let our 2 middle kids go. Then we invited everyone we knew who might be interested round to our house, had a preChristmas party and watched the match together then toasted Rovers' victory. did the same when I couldn't get a ticket for the Preston promotion game because the date was changed and I couldn't go originally.

Archived