BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York and Chicago

My company has said that they’ll ship me off to Chicago in June to work in our office out there, so I thought I’d turn it into a bit of a month-long trip. On June 12th I’m working in Chicago for a week, then going to Las Vegas for a conference for the following week, then taking a week-long holiday in New York, and finally another week working in Chicago.

I’ve done Vegas a couple of times so feel I’ve got that worked out, but I’ve never done Chicago or New York. Both weeks in Chicago I’ll be working so just have the evenings and weekends free, but in New York I have a totally clean slate for a week (I’ve not even booked accommodation). Does anybody have any recommendations for what to do in either of these places? All I have planned so far is that it’s going to be 4th July in my last week in Chicago so will definitely try and get involved in whatever actually happens there on that date. Any top tips on what to do?

My company has said that they’ll ship me off to Chicago in June to work in our office out there, so I thought I’d turn it into a bit of a month-long trip. On June 12th I’m working in Chicago for a week, then going to Las Vegas for a conference for the following week, then taking a week-long holiday in New York, and finally another week working in Chicago.

I’ve done Vegas a couple of times so feel I’ve got that worked out, but I’ve never done Chicago or New York. Both weeks in Chicago I’ll be working so just have the evenings and weekends free, but in New York I have a totally clean slate for a week (I’ve not even booked accommodation). Does anybody have any recommendations for what to do in either of these places? All I have planned so far is that it’s going to be 4th July in my last week in Chicago so will definitely try and get involved in whatever actually happens there on that date. Any top tips on what to do?

I had a weekend there but it was 10 years ago. Then they did a conducted tour by bus that went past Muhammed Ali's house and visited the Space Museum before a trip to the top of the Sears Tower, once the highest building in the world and certainly not to be missed. A trip on the square railway and a visit to the water tower are also worth doing.

I currently live in NYC and I lived in Chicago for a short time a few years ago, so i'll do my best to let you know what to do.

Chicago:

First off let me say chicago in the summer is one of the best cities in the US, as opposed to being unlivable in the winter. I recommend checking out the "Taste of Chicago" If will give you a chance to sample all different kinds of Chicago food, and it is the biggest event of the year in the city. I think it will be going on for ten days while you're there.

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/park_district/taste_of_chicago.html

It is also absolutely necessary that you have authentic Chicago Deepdish or stuffed pizza. Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's and Giordanos are all very good, but Giordanos is my favorite out of the three, just dont get uno's! Also an authentic Chicago Style Hot-Dog is very nice.

If you are interested in sporting events, I would recommend a Cubs Baseball game at Wrigley Field. It is one of the oldest stadium's in the US and is in many ways the American version of Craven Cottage. If you can make it try for a day game as they are more of a tradition in chicago. Also check out "Wrigleyville" (the neighborhood around the field) before and after the game as it has a very nice atmosphere on gamedays.

New York:

As for New York, I would think you would need to do the typical touristy things. Central park-the hippies that hang out by the Lennon memorial, The view from the top of the Empire State building is pretty spectacular, and gives you a good idea of just how massive the city is. The Brooklyn Bridge is pretty awesome. You can probably skip Coney Island as it is very similar to Blackpool. Other than the normal tourist traps it really depends on what you're into. New York has something for everyone it just depends on who you are.

Also if you want to grab a pint or something in NYC just send me a message, i'm always up for metting a fellow Rovers' supporter.

I've been all over the U.S and Chicago is one of my favourite cities along with San Francisco and New York. It is a really great place! I've been twice and can't wait to go back. What I love about it is the fact that it has the big city feel, with the skyscraper filled city centre, but it takes a 10 minute walk to escape the city centre to the leafy streets of the Gold Coast (where I stayed last time I was over) and is very pleasant to walk around. As for things to do, I would say that going to the top of the Sears Tower, doing the architecture boat tour, walking around Lincoln Park, going to the Field Museum, going to Millennium Park and seeing the Bean and walking down Michigan Avenue are just a couple of things that are must dos.

During the summer there are lots of open air concerts and shows around Lake Michigan, which would be worth checking out. Second City Comedy Club is also worth a look, as it's the place where many of America's leading comedians, like Tina Fey from 30 Rock, worked before going global! The people in Chicago are super polite with the good old mid-west manners. Oh and the women in Chicago are smoking hot too!

I'm actually just back from New York. I think it was my tenth time there. I love the place and could easily live there. There is so much to do and see. As CaliRover says, you have all the touristy stuff to do like the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, shopping on 5th Avenue, going to Central Park and going up the Empire State building. Other things that I would suggest doing would be walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and taking some time to look around Brooklyn, which is a great place. Whenever you go to New York, you can just get sucked into Manhattan and never leave the place. I've fallen into this trap and it was only on my last visit that I visited Brooklyn for the first time. Williamsburg in Brooklyn is a cool place to see. It's vintage central with people trying very hard to look like they aren't trying to be cool! But there are some great restaurants and places of interest and is nice to walk around.

If you are going to go up a skyscraper I would suggest going to the top of the Rockefeller building as the view of the city and Central Park is unreal. I've been to the top of the World Trade Centre, Empire State and Rockefeller and the later was by far the best. The Meat Packing District, China Town, Little Italy and Soho are also worth a visit, especially the Meat Packing District. Bryant Park on the Avenue of the Americas is great to sit in. Going to the Upper East Side and seeing how the other half live is an experience as going all the way up to 125 Street and Harlem. You could also go up to the Bronx to catch a Yankees game. Ellis Island, where the immigrants used to pass through is a great historical site. Catching the Staten Island ferry is good fun as it give you a great view of the Statue of Liberty and is free. What's so great about NYC to me is that you don't have to do much of anything to have a good time. The place is so huge, that just walking around is an experience.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much guys - there's some fantastic advice there and it's really appreciated. I really should get off my arse and sort something out! I'm definitely up for whatever sporting events I can get to while I'm there. I think it's Yankees/Mets while I'm in NY but I assume that getting a ticket would be an expensive nightmare.

Thank you so much guys - there's some fantastic advice there and it's really appreciated. I really should get off my arse and sort something out! I'm definitely up for whatever sporting events I can get to while I'm there. I think it's Yankees/Mets while I'm in NY but I assume that getting a ticket would be an expensive nightmare.

Tickets to Yankees Mets are pretty tough to get, and alot of the Atmosphere will just be NYers fighting each other, that said I'll be going to my first "Subway series" game this year.

as for which tower to go up, I like Empire state better only because it has a better view of Lower manhattan, much of the Rock's view downtown is blocked by the empire state. The same can be said however about the Empire States view of central park being blocked by 30 Rock.

If I think of anything to add about NYC i'll drop by and post it.

• Backroom

Love love love New York, Empire State is a must everytime I go but last time I also did Top of the Rock and loved it as well, I'd personally do both, one daytime, one dusk / evening.

We did a short boat tour last time which was great, took you down under the Brooklyn Bridge and out to the Statue of Liberty, some great views there the package also included top of the rock tickets.

http://www.nywaterway.com/ToursPackageToursTopoftheRock.aspx

One of my favourite things is to take a subway to I think it's Clarke Street then walk back accross the Brooklyn Bridge toward Manahattan, I wanted to pick up a pizza from Grimaldi's (I think it was) in Brooklyn but the lines are huge.

Love having a walk in central park but last year I decided it would be a good idea to film a storm whilst in central park (it was March and wet) not a great idea, bye bye to that video camera.

I'd recommend seeing a show on Broadway (Phantom or Lion King for me) and / or a night at a comedy club, we opted for Stand Up NY, bought tickets from one of the touts in Times Square, good price but they all have a 2 drink minimum each and each drink is at least $10.

I'm a sucker for NY pizza as well so I tend to eat cheap out there, grab a slice for lunch then a proper evening meal.

Obviously though all my tips are just from a touristy point of view, listen to the men who know their stuff properly instead :P

I'm going to New York and Toronto for my honeymoon in June.

So far, in the 5 days I'll be in NY, I'm going to watch a taping of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart (tickets are free) and to watch The Phantom of the Opera (Broadway).

I also bought a NY Pass, which allows us to visit many major attractions like the Empire State vuiling, Top of the Rock, A cruise in the river, skyride, Statue of liberty and many other attractions.

I was considering attending a baseball match but I'm not a big fan and my future wife would hate it lol

One of my favourite things is to take a subway to I think it's Clarke Street then walk back accross the Brooklyn Bridge toward Manahattan, I wanted to pick up a pizza from Grimaldi's (I think it was) in Brooklyn but the lines are huge.

High Street is the stop on the blue line at the end of the Brooklyn Bridge. That's a lovely part of the city.

• Backroom

High Street is the stop on the blue line at the end of the Brooklyn Bridge. That's a lovely part of the city.

Thats the one, new it was the name of a street in Rishton ha

Can you please tell which tourist attractions and parts of the city should we avoid?

We'll only be there for 5 days so we will try to visit all we can. But it is not enough time so, if we can avoid the bad part, the better.

Can you please tell which tourist attractions and parts of the city should we avoid?

We'll only be there for 5 days so we will try to visit all we can. But it is not enough time so, if we can avoid the bad part, the better.

NYC? Quite a lot of Brooklyn and anywhere north of Central Park in Manhattan. I've not been to the Bronx but I hear it's grim (aside from the zoo and Yankees Stadium).

Chicago? The further south in Chicago you get the more dangerous it is. The fantastic science museum in Chicago is located in Hyde Park (Obama's neighbourhood) which is something of a small oasis of civility in the south side. Don't be going there at night and if you do visit the museum the guide books say not to stray too far from the bus stop across the road that'll take you back into the city centre.

NYC? Quite a lot of Brooklyn and anywhere north of Central Park in Manhattan. I've not been to the Bronx but I hear it's grim (aside from the Zoo and Yankees Stadium).

Chicago? The further south in Chicago you get the more dangerous it is. The fantastic science museum in Chicago is located in Hyde Park (Obama's neighbourhood) which is something of a small oasis of civility in the south side. Don't be going there at night and if you do visit the museum the guide books say not to stray too far from the bus stop across the road that'll take you back into the city centre.

Thanks.

I wish I had a few months to visit the US...

See the Hockey Hall of Fame & CN Tower 1st & foremost. What days will you be in Toronto?

Hi sorry for the hijack of the thread, visited the east coast of America a few times, on tours etc, but always stayed with friends and in vans. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheapish hotel in NY, or an area? Obviously I don't want to be in the ghetto, but I don't want to pay an extortionate price either!

Also my time in NY has been great in the past, done most of the touristy things, I have been to Coney Island as I wanted to pretend I was in The Warriors, it was as described above, exactly like Blackpool. The roller-coaster is dangerous, you feel like you are going to crash through some rotting wood or something, and the freak show.. the less said about that the better! In my time there I generally got showed around by friends, got taken to some great pizza places and some awesome bakery's.

my advice take a mortgage out for chicago airport ,its the dearest place on earth i think and i was stuck there for 8 hours in snow,man i was ruff as a dogs sweaty arse when i landed in AZ lol.

AZ as in Arizona? I'm impressed, Abbey. What's the connection?

For those who want to visit a historic US city with lots of attractions and things to do, fairly inexpensively, check out San Diego. Beautiful city, the weather is fantastic, plenty of sports, history and culture, the beach (especially around Coronado Island and the Hotel Del Coronado) is outstanding, and there are dozens of attractions for both kids and adults.

AZ as in Arizona? I'm impressed, Abbey. What's the connection?

For those who want to visit a historic US city with lots of attractions and things to do, fairly inexpensively, check out San Diego. Beautiful city, the weather is fantastic, plenty of sports, history and culture, the beach (especially around Coronado Island and the Hotel Del Coronado) is outstanding, and there are dozens of attractions for both kids and adults.

I absolutely agree Steve. San Diego is the best place I have ever visited. Perfect horeshoe bay, superb zoo and sunshine all the time. Visits to the Gaslight District and the bar at the top of the Hyatt are a must. The view from there is fantastic. I just love the place.

• Backroom

It's great to see Sambo but little else, shopping and eating there is expensive as with any tourist trap.

It has a fantastic feeling about being there though

Archived