BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Further to what I posted the other day I mentioned the bending forward thing to the Chiropractor and he said that to do it from standing does not help as the weight of the upper body can cause strain. The way to improve lower back pain is to lie down an raise the legs (using the hands if you can) then move them from side to side. Apologies for my earlier error.

I've just agreed to accompany a mate cycling from one end of S.Korea to the other over the space of 4 days. We set off at the end of this month. Its around 630km of pretty flat riverside tarmac.

The furthest I've ridden a bike before is about 50km. I am pretty fit from my regular half marathons and swimming a few times a week. But I'm worried about not being used to the hours in the saddle. Is it doable?

Good question. Is it doable? Yes but frankly it's going to hurt. I have friends 30-40 years younger who could ride 150km in 5 hours, it would take me 7.0-7.5 hours probably 8 hours of actual ride time. I'd suggest you allow at least one hour for stops.

The big question is can you do it for four days in a row? I know I can but then I ride a lot and 150km doesn't phase me. My suggestion would be this; Look to get up to being comfortable at 100-110km then try to find a roughly circular route of 120km near your home. Go out and ride it on a Saturday, then get up and do it again on Sunday. If you can do that you'll complete the challenge. The first day will be the harder. If you can do 120/day you will manage 150/day.

Google tells me temperatures in South Korea are 35C today. In those conditions I would expect to drink 6-8 litres of water per day. I'd also eat a few salted peanuts every 15-20 minutes.

Get real cying shorts, don't use any underwear and use some form of cream. Sudocrem (for baby nappy rash) is very good, Vaseline is OK but won't last all day. Whatever you use make sure you cover any skin which is likely to chaff

Edited by Paul

I'd agree with Paul's advice. The only point I would add is that your speed will be very dependent on what bike you have. Assuming you are not a regular cyclist I assume you don't have a decent bike. If the ride is on Tarmac then a road bike will be a lot easier than a hybrid or mountain bike.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I am not a regular cyclist and I'm looking to buy a new bike for the journey. Seeing as it is relatively flat all the way I'm thinking of either getting a hybrid for the comfort, or a road bike based on the Shimano Claris or Sora groupset. I don't really plan on going up many mountains in the future so I'm trying to buy a bike at the lower end of the market - around 500 quid. As long as I get it fitted well these bikes should do the job right?

For that length of ride I'd say the road bike would be best, assuming the ride is all on tarmac. I think whilst a hybrid would be a more comfortable ride it would be a lot more effort.

I don't know whether hiring a road bike is an option in South Korea, if you don't want to commit a big lump of cash for something you might not use again much.

The road bike will be worth 3-4kms / hour. That's a big difference. The Trek and Canondale will both do it. Personally I favour Canondale.

Frame quality is important at this point - you can always upgrade group set and wheels. My priority would be frame, fit, wheels, group set. Only one way to upgrade a frame!!!

Edited by Paul

If one ever runs into an irate motorist, call the police. One probably never will need this advice but just in case.

That may well be pertinent advice to some other hazards one may encounter while cycling.

Edited by Audax

If one ever runs into an irate motorist, call the police. One probably never will need this advice but just in case.

That may well be pertinent advice to some other hazards one may encounter while cycling.

"The police" ha!

You could call them saying there's an axe wielding maniac prawling around your house and it would take them an hour(at least) to show up.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a privilege not afforded to the motorist with no number plate on the cycle to identify it by.

Unfortunately a privilege not afforded to the motorist with no number plate on the cycle to identify it by.

But you have the right to do that with another motorist nonetheless.

I said nothing about plates, if you have a confrontation, call the police, it's safer for everyone.

Edited by Audax

Absolutely Abbs. Yesterday was a bit pedestrian but the days before that were as dramatic as the last few days in the mountains usually are.

Dramatic because of crashes mainly, not particularly because of the riding. Time we got some hills involved.

On another note, 3 separate uk bids for the grande departe next year.

Scotland, Manchester and god-forbid London (too flat to be interesting)

Edited by Baz

I went for the Trek 1.1 in the end. They didn't have the Synapse and would have had to import it. The Trek has a carbon front fork which I hear is good for comfort as it absorbs more bumps than aluminium.

I went out for my first long ride today, but I had to use my old bike. 100km done. Got a few aches and pains but nothing too bad. I'll try the same tomorrow morning.

Dramatic because of crashes mainly, not particularly because of the riding. Time we got some hills involved.

You didn't find the uphill finish and the cobbles exciting then Baz? You're a hard taskmaster.

I went for the Trek 1.1 in the end. They didn't have the Synapse and would have had to import it. The Trek has a carbon front fork which I hear is good for comfort as it absorbs more bumps than aluminium.

I went out for my first long ride today, but I had to use my old bike. 100km done. Got a few aches and pains but nothing too bad. I'll try the same tomorrow morning.

If you can knock out 100km on an inappropriate bike without much practice you'll be fine for the big ride on the Trek.

You didn't find the uphill finish and the cobbles exciting then Baz? You're a hard taskmaster.

Cobbles are all about who crashes really, it's not really a test of the best rider. Then again I probably think they should be ascending mont ventoux every other day.

The full route for the second stage of the tour of Britain has been released. Full details here:-http://www.clitheroeadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/savage-tour-of-britain-stage-in-store-as-full-route-is-revealed-1-7357989

Local vantage points will be the Nick of Pendle and Snodworth,

Edited by hanks

Well Baz, I hope you enjoyed today's stage. A quite extraordinary sprint from Froome from way out.

I'll need to take a good look at the route for the TOB, to work out where I can get to see the race to the best advantage. My first thought is to aim to see either the start or finish and a hill top.

We talked about riding so many, 100 kms. a day, what they ride in the Tour these days is impressive, what is amazing is they rode distances like that in the 1920s and so on, maybe even more, odd times racing. There are of course, books on the history of the Tour.

I still do not properly understand the race, some.

Well Baz, I hope you enjoyed today's stage. A quite extraordinary sprint from Froome from way out.

I'll need to take a good look at the route for the TOB, to work out where I can get to see the race to the best advantage. My first thought is to aim to see either the start or finish and a hill top.

Yep, marvellous stuff wasnt it, much better than pesky cobbles :)