BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

But with bad cyclists it's usually just their own safety that they are risking, where as bad motor vehicle drivers risk the lives of everybody in the vicinity(even pedestrians on the pavements)

Some people simply do not value their lives though do they? Today I was at traffic lights turning right, the lights went to green and I waited until there was a gap in incoming traffic and was able to set off as long as I wads quick about it, but as I turned I was square on to numerous schoolgirls sauntering across the road in full hijab who simply couldn't have seen me bearing down on them becuase I certainly could't see their eyes and worse didn't even look either way! No doubt if I'd ploughed into them I'd get done because the law is like that but on the other hand they'd be dead. So odd that they didn't appear to care and must play this crazy form of Russian Roulette every day.

Do you not use your wing mirrors and have a quick look before you turn? If not, that's not the cyclists fault.

Riding through on red really #@$$£@ me off though, I agree!

Maybe not but the cyclist is dead and the driver lives. Weird that they gamble so readily with their own lives. See my post above.

Edited by thenodrog

• Moderation Lead

2 cyclists in front of me last night on the way home in the centre of the road (not tucked in to the left where there was an abundance of room), so I had to wait an age to get past. I accept that obviously not all cyclists are like that, but really cyclists should be considerate of motorists where they can!

Yes it is. If a cyclist comes up on your blind side it is his fault. It is not even a legal requirement to have a mirror on the passenger side. The law says you have to have two mirrors one of which must be on the offside. One offside wing mirror and a central one are fine.

forget about the mirrors.

are you saying that you don't even look over your shoulders to check your blind spots before turning or manoeuvring! (if so then please do us all a favour and retire from driving)

• Like 1

driving home from work along Bolton road last night and a middle aged male slap head tosspot driving a crummy old silver BM heading towards me decided to floor it and overtake the poor women driving normally in front of him, whilst cars (inc. mine) where driving the other way, he then carried on towards ewood doing at least 70mph, I hope the sad pin pric Muppet got clocked by a camera along the way, I did manage to get in a w#@~@r signal as he passed me.

p.s. maybe somebody should re-start a rant thread?

No need. Between Abbey, Al and Drog, they've managed it themselves here. Sometimes wonder if I should post random hateful @#/? on the NFL or golf thread.

But for now I'll say Audi owners are the pits!

Unless you can qualify that then all I can say is

a. what a stupid generalisation.

and

b. Not that I expect much else but what a stupid 'Like' from the resident messageboard numpty who in the post above had just criticised a BMW driver! :wstu:

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

No need. Between Abbey, Al and Drog, they've managed it themselves here. Sometimes wonder if I should post random hateful @#/? on the NFL or golf thread.

But for now I'll say Audi owners are the pits!

I own three pushbikes and an Audi. Oh dear!

• Like 1

Anyone have any special recovery from long rides? More than anything, a fairly decent meal and a good night's sleep in my view.

I won't drive generally across lanes and I think most cyclists will ride in a line.

Texting is the problem nowadays, that and talking on the phone. People can be driving half-way into the median line. If there be times when you know people are out drinking more, one can stay off those streets more and be careful at those times. Texting and talking on the phone can happen at any time.

---------

I note someone deleted their post here. From what I know, one can't delete their post unless that "hide" option works in that fashion, sounds possible, I think I did use the hide function once.

Edited by Audax

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in watching the debut of Team Wiggins come along to the Chorley Grand Prix on Saturday.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/chorley-grand-prix-kicks-off-the-elite-road-series-on-saturday-164904

http://www.chorley.gov.uk/Pages/AtoZ/Chorley-Grand-Prix.aspx

Race starts at 11.00

Forecast is good and it promises to be a very good day for all the family. There are also rides being organised from All Seasons Leisure Centre on Sunday.

http://activenation.org.uk/olympic-medallist-designs-active-nation-chorley-cycle-ride-routes/

If you're doing nothing this afternoon there's damn good bike race going on through Chorley. Nearest spot to Blackburn is Abbey Village and Wheelton.

Apparently Sheephouse Lane over Rivington is really sorting them out.

https://londontosydneybybike.wordpress.com/photos-central-asia/pete-and-christine-113/

Nice little cycle touring blog, I'm still reading it myself. Pictures from many places between Australia and the UK, the ones of Iran are interesting because a lot of us don't know much about how the country is more inside.

----------

Who was it here that cycled up Mount Ventoux last year! Quite an experience. Discussed on this forum I believe last Summer.

:tu:

Edited by Audax

My guess would be Paul as I know he has been round there.

I've been back a week from two weeks in Mallorca - 500km and 5,000 metres of climbing, including my fourth time up Sa Calobra. Wonderful riding as usual and every time we go we find more fantastic food and drink.

Ha, ha I thought it was you O2G!!!!

I haven't been up Ventoux but from what I'm told it's not as tough as you might think. I have a friend who's best described as stout who rides it every summer. I think most cyclists can get up it just a question of how quickly!!

First weekend of May I'm riding the Tour de Yorkshire sportive. My eldest boy asked me along with his mates. Found out this is 88 miles and 8800 feet of climbing. Never managed that height in one day before, my best would be around 5500, so finishing will be huge.

Managed 5000 feet in 60 miles a month ago so I think it's doable provided the kids don't try to ride at silly speeds on the flat.

Bought a fairly decent road bike a couple of years ago, paid just short of £1,000.

Beautiful looking machine and fairly fast but it just didn't feel 'comfortable' to ride.

Anyway, went for a 'bike fit' today, Can't believe the difference it's made.

Went here http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikemagician.com%2F&ei=SrwyVdmDG6Kd7gaQ-YGABQ&usg=AFQjCNEqdw2Zdf_X7HHje0V631rhJdVauw&sig2=DLYSZO5VelAtxVrixZUuAA&bvm=bv.91071109,d.ZGU&cad=rja

Only 38 of your English pounds too.

• 3 weeks later...

Cyclists get a lot of stick, for those who see it as a sport this is undeserved, and yes there are people on bikes who behave irresponsibly just like there are terrible car drivers.

Last Sunday I rode the Tour de Yorkshire sportive which followed much of the route used by the pro race of the same name. This is not about me but to give perspective I rode 88 miles, climbed 8845 feet in terrible weather at an average of 11.6mph. I've ridden further but the climbing is almost three times my personal previous best.

All day we were cheered by small groups in the morning and huge crowds in the afternoon. At times it was the only thing which kept me upright.

On Sunday 5500 ordinary cyclists like me did this. We hauled ourselves up cat 3 and 4 climbs in front of thousands of people. It was AMAZING.

Below are the words of a cyclist who was in those crowds. I like to think we showed a lot of people we are much more than a bunch of riders intent on blocking the roads.

Quote:

"One of the best bits of Sunday (for me, at least) was the crowd's respect and admiration for the sportive. They had come out to see the big guys, the cycling celebs, the Wiggins's and Sky, and whatever; revisit the TdF. PLUS ... they got

Waves upon waves of ordinary lads and lasses.

From superfit lycra clad to the "rather less streamlined"; eeeeeh, there were some generously padded crumple-zones on some of those riders.

The numbers - 6000 (!!!!!) cyclists accepted out of ... (how many applicants?).

And that these guys and lasses had battled through the foul weather earlier in the morning, still with energy to grin, or wave.

And all that made many in "my" Ilkley crowd think. And talk. It left them in some awe.

That's impact, lads and lasses."

• Like 3

Was it closed roads Paul?

Wonderful effort in what i imagine were horrible conditions.

My experience at Ride London last year was somewhat similar although nothing like the climbing you did. 84 miles in the back end of a hurricane, but still hugely satisfying passing thousands all along the route.

I've just checked on Strava and I think my biggest ride for climbing is c5,500'.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Just to make a semi-serious point (hur-hur), since when was an erection inappropriate behaviour? Us blokes know that it just happens sometimes, so quite why he's been demonised for a natural occurrence is beyond me.

That's unless he was @#/? or something.

Sorry chaps I know I shouldn't encourage Abbey but that is funny :lol:

for those whose sense of humour was formed in the 70s maybe, but his obsession with me is getting peculiar(and very sad) he's now picturing me riding my bike in the nuddy :rock:(a thought that makes even me squirm)