BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Guest Norbert

Men wearing cycling shorts whilst cycling on public roads when there only commuting to/from work, Why! its just wrong,I don't need some boney sad looking arse in my face every time I stop at lights smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-003

I know what you mean. It is a bit sad going to the shops all kitted up like Bradley Wiggins. That's why I go to work in a mankini and my steel toecapped boots. Only joking. I don't have any boots :D.

On the topic of the mealy term, Vehicle Excise Duty, and in Abbey's defence: if it isn't really road tax, why do I not have to pay if my vehicle is kept on private property (SORN) and only pay it when it is on the road?

Let's not pretend, eh.

I'm not sure anyone is pretending, according to Wikipedia since 1937 VED has been regarded as part of general taxation. This is how the government and HMRC view it - I doubt they are wrong. These days it is a tax on pollution and different vehicles pay according to their level of CO2 emissions - if it were a tax to use the road then I imagine every vehicle should pay the same.

You have to pay SORN because VED allows a vehicle to driven or stored on the public highway.

Abbey's argument is irrelevant, as is the whole argument that cyclists don't pay VED and so should not be on the road. I pay my taxes, I pay VED, I'm insured for cars and cycles and I'm entitled to use the public highway in any manner I chose provided it's legal. If the government want to tax my bike it's OK with me.

:)

I can sit in my driveway polluting as much as I want with a SORN.

Face it, it's road tax - by stealth, if you prefer. :D

Bikes should be taxed by the same token. Use the money specifically to improve the road systems to incorporate safe cycling, and everyone's a winner!

I'm curious though, you are insured for cycling?

Men wearing cycling shorts whilst cycling on public roads when there only commuting to/from work, Why! its just wrong,I don't need some boney sad looking arse in my face every time I stop at lights smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-003

On the turkey thread you say you don't care what anyone wears..

I can sit in my driveway polluting as much as I want with a SORN.

Face it, it's road tax - by stealth, if you prefer. :D

Bikes should be taxed by the same token. Use the money specifically to improve the road systems to incorporate safe cycling, and everyone's a winner!

I'm curious though, you are insured for cycling?

I don't think we will agree on the tax thing Stuart but I'll just make one last point - tongue in cheek. Lets assume VED is a tax to use the road, the DVLA data shows there were 34.5m licensed vehicles in the UK at end of 2012 and the UK population is 63.7m. This means at least 29.2m people have not paid VED. Does this mean they can't use the roads?

:):)

I would completely agree with a tax on bikes to go towards safe cycling. Sadly I don't feel this will happen for two reasons; our road system has evolved over decades and we don't have the same cycling culture as Denmark or Holland. Consequently adapting our roads for safer cycling would be hugely expensive. VED raises about £6bn a year and I guess a cycle tax would only raise a tiny fraction of that.

On the insurance thing I have two policies. One is a simple extension of my household contents which covers my bikes for theft and accidental damage - a friend came off his bike at 40mph two weeks ago and he says the insurance will pay for the wreck!

Secondly I have third party cover up to £10m plus legal cover. So if I ever run you down you can be sure I can pay out after a good legal fight!! :)

To be serious I want to be covered as I am in my car. Anything which happens to me or i cause while I'm cycling is covered, I feel it is the responsible thing to do. Most of my cycling friends have the same or similar. I would support compulsory insurance and a cycle tax but doubt it will happen as it could never be policed.

I don't think we will agree on the tax thing Stuart but I'll just make one last point - tongue in cheek. Lets assume VED is a tax to use the road, the DVLA data shows there were 34.5m licensed vehicles in the UK at end of 2012 and the UK population is 63.7m. This means at least 29.2m people have not paid VED. Does this mean they can't use the roads?

Bogus argument. It's a tax on vehicles, not individuals. The vehicle they travel in/on will be taxed. Except for bicycles... ;)

I would completely agree with a tax on bikes to go towards safe cycling. Sadly I don't feel this will happen for two reasons; our road system has evolved over decades and we don't have the same cycling culture as Denmark or Holland. Consequently adapting our roads for safer cycling would be hugely expensive. VED raises about £6bn a year and I guess a cycle tax would only raise a tiny fraction of that.

It's something we should aspire to though. It's easy for town planners/politicians we can't adapt ALL the roads so let's do nothing.

To be serious I want to be covered as I am in my car. Anything which happens to me or i cause while I'm cycling is covered, I feel it is the responsible thing to do. Most of my cycling friends have the same or similar. I would support compulsory insurance and a cycle tax but doubt it will happen as it could never be policed.

Makes sense. If you were to cause an accident, at least you won't get sued! Didn't realise there were policies for cycling. I guess when it's not compulsory, other finances will take priority for a lot of people. Edited by Stuart

Bogus argument. It's a tax on vehicles, not individuals. The vehicle they travel in/on will be taxed. Except for bicycles... ;)

Where does that leave me then, with a vehicle that is zero rated for VED? Presumably I'm actually costing the Exchequer money, as there must be an admin cost in issuing me with a tax disc for £0 every year. And I've got a bike.......

Where does that leave me then, with a vehicle that is zero rated for VED? Presumably I'm actually costing the Exchequer money, as there must be an admin cost in issuing me with a tax disc for £0 every year. And I've got a bike.......

It won't be zero for long, it's just an incentive to get people buying new cars, with smaller engines.

But worry not, that money you don't pay is being paid by someone else on your behalf when their tax went up significantly to compensate. I highly the Exchequer is out of pocket, quite the opposite I'm sure.

Enjoy your free rides though... think of it like being on benefits while tax payers look after you! :lol:

I think you're wrong about others subsidising my lack of tax. There might be a few at the margins but overall the tax take from VED is dropping significantly, as manufacturers adjust their vehicle engines to reduce the CO2 emissions and therefore the tax. So you're right that my zero rating is likely to change soon. It's most likely that the bands will all lower to take the tax take back to what it was and will mean that those at the top will get more clobbered.

And don't worry - i pay plenty of tax in other ways.

I've just, this weekend, taken the step into cycling. Mainly to get fit but with the ultimate aim of cycling the coast to coast with my wife.

I have a quick question though. We went out yesterday for the first time and the chain on my wifes bike is catching and making a bit of a noise. On closer inspection it seams that the mechanism for changing the chain on the large gears (by the pedals) has 3 positions but only 2 cogs resulting in it catching on the mechanism as the chain is never lined up correctly. Is is normal to have 2 cogs but 3 positions? If so I guess its just not been set up correctly, if not someone has dropped on and it will need changing.

After weeks of checking bikes out we went for Boardman's which meant we had to go to Halfords so I'm guessing some of the issues lie there! No time at the moment to get it back there so if I can find the issue first it may save me some time.

Thanks.

I don't know Boardman bikes but have read many positive reviews. Looking at the Halfords website it seems you have a SRAM double, that is you have two chain rings on the chain set (the front), and depending on which bike you have it could be a compact double.

I ride a compact double and think

I understand what you mean - this also applies to a straightforward double. The SRAM gearing has a double click and push through movement to change gears.

To change from the smaller chainring to larger you should push through (in towards the wheel) as far as needed to shift the chain up. You should hear two clicks though I don't always on mine.

To go down from larger to small it's a double click; push once till you hear the click, release and you may then need a second slight push . This drops you to the small ring. Is this what you mean by three positions? The second push shouldn't be necessary but I find under some conditions it helps to slightly adjust the mech and reduce any noise.

Check this link.

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/articles/how-to-shift-sram-doubletap-levers-pg463.htm

I guess the rubbing is the chain running through the front mech? It's not uncommon and I think results from the difference in set up in a workshop and the pressure the bike is under when ridden

Is the rubbing only in certain positions, perhaps large front to large rear and small front to small rear? If so it's just fine tuning. If its happening on the mid range of gears I think the front mech (the bit that actually shifts the chain) needs full adjustment.

I suppose it's possible Halfords have put the wrong equipment on but the mechanic would have to be a complete bumpy. You could try asking Ewood Bikes.

Halfords should do both.

Edited by Paul

Thanks Paul.

We'll need to take it out again to check when its rubbing, my wife only mentioned it once we got back and its then that I noticed the '3 stages'. It could very well be that she is having to push the gears twice to get it to the correct position and then there is the double click to return to the smaller chainring which is where my perceived 3 stage mechanism is coming from.

I'll check it out and then if necessary get to a recommended local independant cycle shop to have a look - its a bit far to Ewood Cycles from Mansfield but thanks for the recommendation.

Apart from that I'm very pleased with the bikes, we've both got Boardman hybrid comps (Prefer the straight handles to the drop ones), the only downside is we've got matching his and hers bikes now and stand out quite a bit!! :) First experiance with bikes since buying cheap mountain bikes ages ago but not riden them in years.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what the outcome is.

I think I'll be taking it back for them to look at. It definitely has 3 significant steps up and down the gears, where mine just has 2 and is supposedly the same equipment. I guess its either a setting issue on the mechanism or they have put the wrong part on. Either way they should be able to sort it - hopefully!!

Looking into the possibility of getting my 15 year old lad a decent-ish road bike, his first with thin tyres....anyone any tips for cost and what make would be a good start...or any enthusiasts know of any second hand decent bikes for sale.....

For SAS and Marky, I have no specific knowledge of the specific types of bike you're looking for, but a couple of general points. I'd avoid Halfords as, whilst their Boardman range had a good name, they usually have very poor sales and maintenance staff. I'd go for a good local bike shop, who will be able to give you good advice, although they will direct you towards whatever they sell, or try Decathlon. They have very keen prices and well respected own brand bikes. You might have to travel a bit though - north west stores are in Bolton, Warrington and Stockport.

Can't comment for SAS as I know nothing about Tri bikes.

For Sparky it depends on your budget. If you look at £500+ there are a lot of good choices. I agree with O2G re Halfords but Boardman does offer good bikes at reasonable prices but be prepared for dodgy service - you'll end up looking for a good bike shop eventually! I think I read Boardman now sell direct as well but not sure.

Dolan are good but start around £650 and quickly go to £1200+

If both of you can wait 6 weeks or so there will be good discounts on 2013 bikes as the 2014 ranges will come out then. 25-30% discount is often available.

My main advice would be find a good bike shop, explain what you want to achieve and take the advice. If possible always ride before you buy. If you stick with the same bike shop for everything you should get great service. Personally I always go to Ewood Bikes but there are plenty others worth trying. If you want a chain of stored try Evans. Often good deals to be had.

I've never been but I understand Merlin in Chorley, on Buckshaw Village, are very good.

Second hand is not easy as most cyclists keep their bikes for different purposes. I'll probably buy new this autumn but will keep the current one for winter / bad weather use and the new one for summer. My third I keep for touring and shopping!!

Edited by Paul

Velominati Rule No 12 -While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

• Like 1