BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Starting to kick in to cycle season now with quite a few tours and classics going on.

Got my first ever sportive on Sunday, called the trial run by the pendle witches I think. 53 miles over pendle and waddington fell...

Starting to kick in to cycle season now with quite a few tours and classics going on.

Got my first ever sportive on Sunday, called the trial run by the pendle witches I think. 53 miles over pendle and waddington fell...

Good grief!!!! I hope you're younger and fitter than me!! That's a big ride so early in the season, looks as though the weather will be excellent. Good luck.

I had a nice spin out yesterday afternoon. I made the mistake of not eating properly and ended up feeling rubbish. Once the sun went behind the cloud it was bitter cold. I'm not sure where to head for yet but I'll be out again today.

I've only one sportive in mind for this year, the Great Manchester Cycle 52 miles of closed roads through Manchester round the Etihad. Salford Quays, Old Trafford.. The best sportive I've ridden. Last year I managed 2 hours 45 minutes, 19th in age group and 625th overall (2600 entrants). I was really made up with that result, anything under 3 hours will do for this year!!

Edited by Paul

Good grief!!!! I hope you're younger and fitter than me!! That's a big ride so early in the season, looks as though the weather will be excellent. Good luck.

I had a nice spin out yesterday afternoon. I made the mistake of not eating properly and ended up feeling rubbish. Once the sun went behind the cloud it was bitter cold. I'm not sure where to head for yet but I'll be out again today.

I've only one sportive in mind for this year, the Great Manchester Cycle 52 miles of closed roads through Manchester round the Etihad. Salford Quays, Old Trafford.. The best sportive I've ridden. Last year I managed 2 hours 45 minutes, 19th in age group and 625th overall (2600 entrants). I was really made up with that result, anything under 3 hours will do for this year!!

Cleared it in 3.56 very strong headwinds for last 20 mile. 5500 feet of climbing too . Tired now

Guest Norbert

The only real cycling I do is to and from work, which is only a few miles a day. Still, it is good to get out there however briefly.

I'd love some sh_t hot mountain bike, but I'm way too poor, but I do have an electric bike which is great if the battery is charged. If it isn't it is so heavy to cycle, especially as it is stuck in top gear.Those proper racing bikes scare the pants off me as the tyres are so thin, you'd be asking for an accident if the weather is in any way bad.

I'd love to do the Manchester ride but unfortunately it clashes with Glastonbury this year, which I'm already committed to.

I was down at the mother-in-law's just south of Bristol this weekend and had a fantastic ride from her house in a loop over the Mendips - 40 miles over the hills and back along the Strawberry line from Cheddar.

Is it thin enough to go under a helmet Scott and does it cover the ears because that's what I'm mainly after?

Perfectly. I used to just wear a cotton hat, but this skull cap is ten times more suitable.

I have some "Trekking" or "Buttlerfly" handlebars. I would recommend them, wish I'd always had them, not only are they ideal for hand positions, if I am riding where there is not much traffic, I have a transistor radio on them I will listen to, no headphones, just radio like in a car, mirrors too. A lot of room though mine are probably not light weight like these. I have a slight hand-wrist ailment and I think these are helpful.

37259-500x500.jpg

Edited by Audax

Lots of room as this photo from the net shows, thought I'd put up another photo so you see where the brakes and shifting goes. Also have a front rack I need to put on, it really allows a lot of room to carry along with my back rack.

4620714278_200b6ffd85_z.jpg

There's a lot of room, you can have very many hand positions on the handlebars (as the link comments on), I should have added earlier too, people can put their brake handles in different places, as below. From the site "VeloRambler.com", new one on me. This person has an elaborate set up but I don't see a mirror which to me, is a must have when I ride. http://www.velorambler.com/2010/07/31/trekking-bars/ But I just covered the bars with some cotton (hockey stick) tape, I have some foam (hockey stick) tape too, I put underneath for cushioning, no leather on my bars, I don't need it but some might like that. I have an array of blinkie lights, just lights period to be seen along with my torch.

img_0546.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend in London, doing the Freecycle around an 8 mile loop in the centre of town with 50,000 others on Saturday and then watching my eldest son complete the RideLondon100 yesterday in under 6 hours - a good hour faster then he expected. I applied, didn't get in and then wimped out when offered a charity place. I'm definitely applying for next year, when there will be 26,500 places. Applications open next Monday and close if and when they get 80,000.

I've got the ride with brad 100mile on sumday. Been on hols for last two week and piled half a stone on. Whoops

I'm doing the 100k one, 100 miles is a bit much for me yet. Done all the hills plenty of times as they're on my doorstep so I know what to expect. Should be good.

We're going Baz, on everything from my very fine road bike to Tom's tandem and my wife's very old Raleigh hybrid........which reminds me I only have three weeks to make it roadworthy.