BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Paul,

That sounds like a good one. It's on my bucket list

If anyone on here lives near south Manchester you could join "Chorlton Wanderers" for a fine & dandy leisurely ride. Usually through Cheshire & with a stop for a social shandy.

http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

If you want to borrow the map Colin let me know.

I took a quick spin over to Preston this afternoon to ride the Guild Wheel and what a fantastic amenity this is for Prestonians. We've heard a lot of talk about legacy this summer, most of which will never happen, but here we have a real legacy of the Preston Guild 2012, a truely excellent example of how to create safe, quality and enjoyable urban cycle ways which link to both outlying populations and the countryside. I have to say this type of cycling is not for me and my road bike - too many stops and starts - but will most definetely be back on the tandem with Tom.

In conjunction with Sustrans and National Cycle Network Preston has built a circular 20 mile route which provides great cycling, walking, running and jogging facilities for all and, it appears from the many spurs leading of The Wheel, a now fully connected commuter route from places such as Cottam, Broughton, Freckleton,Kirkham etc. This is real joined up thinking. The route was busy today with people simply popping in to town, families out for a ride and groups clearly cycling round the entire route.

Little things make a big difference, like making the barriers wide enough to get your handle bars through without stopping!! I've been on so many cyce patths with badly deigned barriers it's untrue!!! I hadn't seen this design before.

The surfaces are generally good, much is recently laid tarmac. Only one dodgy stretch in Bolton Woods where a steep - 20% or more - wet and muddy track drops down for about 250 metres. Riding down woud be suicidal and walking is difficult enough. I hope this is addressed as it's pretty grim and someone will try to ride down it!! I found two junctions where the signage could be improved and I'm sure this will be fixed. Some of the surface is so new there is still a lot of loose gravel on top of the tarmac. Most of that will disappear this winter, tricky right now for someone on a road bike but no problem for the majority.

If you haven't ridden it yet, do so. If you live and work in Preston dump the car this is a great commute.

Edited by Paul

It is indeed a wonderful resource for us over here. I have been right round it three times since it fully opened in the Summer and I also regularly use bits of it. In particualt having a route from Penwortham across to Grimsargh that bypasses the whole of the city centre is wonderful, giving easy access to the whole of the Ribble valley and Bowland.

I'm afraid I am daft enough to have ridden down Bolton woods (and up it). I would agree that in certain weather conditions it would be suicidal but having the wodden barriers means whatever you do you can't do it fast anyway. I was reaal;y chuffed with myself when I got up it as I thought a combination of the steepness, the rough surface and the barriers would have made it beyond me.

To go off topic a bit I hope you managed to catch some of the Guild when you were out Paul. Some of the stuff over this weekend has been fantastic (at least that I have been able to get near given the huge crowds the good weather brought). The stalls at the food festival in Winckley Square sold out of two days worth of food by mid afternoon on Saturday and after re-stocking overnight, the same again on Sunday. Tonight I went to hear Nick Park talk and then enjoyed hearing the Sing The Docks project again. This coming weekend, which incorporates the closing finale of the NW London 2012 Cultural Olympiad is also not to be missed. The vast majority will be free.

I'm not sure what normal is - I went over 7 years without a puncture and then had three in ten days!!! For my 50th birthday I bought a new bike and never had a puncture on that machine, a few months short of my 58th I changed to a new bike and this is the one on which I had three punctures in ten days.

For years I've ridden on Continental tyres of various types. I switched to Schwalbe (very good I know) and had these punctures immediately. The bike shop say I was unlucky, I bought some more Continentals!!!!

My top five tips for avoiding punctures:

Inflate tyres correctly and to at least the upper limit of the manufacturer's recommended pressure. You can safely go higher as the upper limit is usually conservative. I run my tyres at 7.5 to 9.0 bar (110-130psi). Generally I'm around 8 as good compromise between puncture resistance and comfort. Hard tyres deflect most sharp things!

Buy a track pump with pressure gauge to achieve the above and ideally inflate before every ride but at least once a week. Expensive hands pumps will achieve the above but it's hard work. A track pump will take a minute or so per tyre.

Buy the very best tyres you can afford. I would put correct pressure ahead of the tyres if you can't afford pump and tyres in one go

Check tyres frequently for sharp stuff stuck on surface. Just rub your hand over the tyre. Takes 30 seconds. Fanatics do this very carefully every week. I don't.

Do NOT ride in the gutter. This is where all the crap collects. Ride three or four feet feet from the kerb - this improves your personal safety, asserts your right to be on the road and avoids broken glass etc. etc.

If you are an urban cyclist, I'm not, I think punctures are likely to be more frequent but one a month suggests you need to consider some or all of the above.

Edited by Paul

I switched to a road bike from a hybrid and initially got a good number Of punctures due to the tyres. I avoid any hole in the rd now and if I can't move try and lift my front wheel over. Not had a puncture of ages and done a lot of miles.....saying that hope it lasts, off to John O'Groats tonight for a small cycle south......

In fairness most of my punctures have occurred on Blackburn road in accrington, it's a dirty dirty pot hole ridden road. But I live off it :(

I have a track pump but it has no gauge on it so I generally pump up until I can only just squeeze the tyre in, if you get me.

My tyres are two years old would that make a difference. I've tried many different inner tubes.

I'm thinking that a tyre change is now needed.

Check also where the puncture is in relation to your tyre..it gives a clue to the cause..it might be the rubber rim taope between the spokes and inner tube may be worn and not protected the tube so that causes a bump to give you a puncture..Pinch puncture from not having enough air your tyre. going over a bump will be caused by the rim.Rim may have a rough edge too maybe caused by tyre levers over time etc.. so that may need sanding smooth..You can buy pre slimed innered tubes which self seal on puncture from most bike shops..Tyres with a kelvar puncture resistant rim like Scwable Marathon help but they can be tough to get on and off..Keeping the tyre hard and check this more often is prob best..Also having bald tyres wont help

Edited by JC4LAB

Check also where the puncture is in relation to your tyre..it gives a clue to the cause..

To help this when you put the tyres on line up a recognisable point on the tyre with the valve. I line up the C in Continental with the valve. When you find the hole in the inner tube you can then closely match this to the same point on the tyre which makes it easier to discover if there is something in the tyre.

On the question of inner tubes. My LBS (local bike shop!) says a tube is just a tube. It's the tyre which does the work.

Just to repeat what other posters have said: pump up the tyres to maximum pressure then adde + 10 ps;i & regularly turn your bike over and check the tyres for bits of ingrained glass; metal & stones that may work their way into the inner tube. Schwalbe marathon tyres are pretty much puncture-proof. They cost me £50 for 2 but I thought it was money well spent after a whole series of really inconvenient punctures.

***** note to cyclistS *****

Use cycle lanes

Single file Ffs

Get out the way

And last but not Least if you need to get rid of green gooey snot don't just put your hand to left nostril and blow the slimy ###### on workers in traffic lights because if it had come 5 inch nearer your posh pump would have gone straight up your ring piece !!

***** note to cyclistS *****

Use cycle lanes Fair enough, there's no cycle lanes where I go riding, there are many cycle routeways, where arseholes in cars think it's alright to go whizzing past at 90, 2 inches off your legs, Just because it's a road it doesn't mean cars are number one priority.

Single file Ffs Fair enough.

Get out the way Yeah I'll just get off my bike so you can get to McDonalds 2 minutes earlier.

And last but not Least if you need to get rid of green gooey snot don't just put your hand to left nostril and blow the slimy ###### on workers in traffic lights because if it had come 5 inch nearer your posh pump would have gone straight up your ring piece Personal Experience?

May I take this opportunity to have a whinge and a rant and to offer some advice.

I commiserate with all cyclists who complain about unthinking and idiotic motorists. I am always extremely careful when driving where there are horses and cyclists. I give way to both.

BUT.......Cyclists, please do not go through red traffic lights. The Highway code applies to you as well as us. And pedestrian crossings are for pedestrians so if you want to use them, dismount and walk.

My main concern is when I am a pedestrian and have to share the same path as cyclists. I would not mind doing this if cyclists showed as much respect for pedestrians as they expect from motorists. But they don't.

Most bicycles I see have no bell fitted. There should be a law to make it an offence to ride a bicycle which has no bell. Riders should be encouraged to ring the bell at every opportunity.

Please, please, all you cyclists, fit a bell and use it, especially well before passing pedestrians who have their backs to you. And remember that they may be deaf and not hear you.

Places that I nearly get run over by cycles are the Guild Wheel around Preston, and Lytham promenade to Fairhaven.

Only three times in the past two years do I remember saying "Thanks for the bell warning" to considerate cyclists.

So, think on!

May I take this opportunity to have a whinge and a rant and to offer some advice.

I commiserate with all cyclists who complain about unthinking and idiotic motorists. I am always extremely careful when driving where there are horses and cyclists. I give way to both.

BUT.......Cyclists, please do not go through red traffic lights. The Highway code applies to you as well as us. And pedestrian crossings are for pedestrians so if you want to use them, dismount and walk.

My main concern is when I am a pedestrian and have to share the same path as cyclists. I would not mind doing this if cyclists showed as much respect for pedestrians as they expect from motorists. But they don't.

Most bicycles I see have no bell fitted. There should be a law to make it an offence to ride a bicycle which has no bell. Riders should be encouraged to ring the bell at every opportunity.

Please, please, all you cyclists, fit a bell and use it, especially well before passing pedestrians who have their backs to you. And remember that they may be deaf and not hear you.

Places that I nearly get run over by cycles are the Guild Wheel around Preston, and Lytham promenade to Fairhaven.

Only three times in the past two years do I remember saying "Thanks for the bell warning" to considerate cyclists.

So, think on!

My major gripe would be lights, they should be compulsory at night on both roads and cycle paths.

So, think on!

Please don't confuse real cyclists with those found in the middle of cities/large towns as they are more often than not kids on bmx's with no road sense or chav's on mountain bikes. I stupidly decided to go on a ride through the middle of Manchester last week (never again) and the number of the aforementioned I saw going through red lights and riding fast down heavily pedestrianized pavements was ridiculous.

Also a bell on a bike?, no chance, might as well put a basket on the front while your at it. :D

Unrelated but I haven't noticed any Kean Out banners on the Tour of Britain yet.

Edited by Clitherover

Please don't confuse real cyclists with those found in the middle of cities/large towns

Well I was thinking that as well. It sounds elitist but there are cyclists and POBs - people on bikes. Anyone who is half serious about riding ANY sort of bike in ANY location is very likely to be obeying the rules.

Personally I think it's really important to follow the rules of the road and be courteous to other road users. Cyclists generally are, POBs are not always.

Red light jumpers are idiots.

Once met a guy on the train into Manchester and asked him the best way from Victoria to Picadilly. My geography if Manchester is awful and I only had a few minutes to make a connection. He said "follow me." We got off at Salford Central and made it to Picadilly in 8 minutes during which this guy broke every rule if the road - its no wonder people get a bad impression of cyclists.

Edited by Paul

Also a bell on a bike?, no chance, might as well put a basket on the front while your at it. :D.

Also wearing seat belts in a car? And not being allowed to use my mobile phone? Might as well have someone walking in front with a red flag. :D

why do "real" cyclists ride 4 abreast then?

Personally I've never seen cyclists riding more than two abreast - three or four would be dangerous and breaks the Highway Code.

Two abreast is legal and, generally speaking, safer for riders and drivers taking only marginally more road space than a correctly positioned single rider who should be positioned at least one metre from the kerb.

Larger groups riding two abreast reduces the difficulty of overtaking for drivers as it reduces the size of the group. For example ten cyclists in single file are 50% longer than an HGV with the same difficulties of overtaking. Reducing the length of the group by half makes it simpler for drivers to pass safely.

The Highway Code suggests:

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you  would when overtaking a car

Edited by Paul

• 4 months later...
I urge anyone interested in this current Armstrong saga to read the book 'From Lance to Landis'...an eye opener indeed.

You just have the feeling that dreams of 'supermen' coming back from the dead are going to be shattered very,very soon.

Oh dear.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/24/lance-armstrong-stripped-tour-de-france

It is being widely reported ver here that Armstrong admitted on camera to Oprah that he did indeed take PED"s throughout his career. The interview is to be aired later on this week.

It looks like he is gearing up for lawsuits that will clean him out, and the redemption media circuit that will make it all back for him.

It is being widely reported ver here that Armstrong admitted on camera to Oprah that he did indeed take PED"s throughout his career. The interview is to be aired later on this week.

It looks like he is gearing up for lawsuits that will clean him out, and the redemption media circuit that will make it all back for him.

Yes, I think I've heard speculation is so that he can do these Triathlons professionally but now, to "really come clean", they are saying he has to name everyone. Very negative, disgusting, just not sure how this next tour will go though I tend to generally think Tour Winners Wiggins and Cadel Evans before him were clean. I think British cycling coming out of nowhere to win in the Olympics and the Tour speaks that they probably are not into doping as much because they tried for decades to win and sorry, Spaniards, Italians, not Lemond but most of the rest of the Americans, Jan Ullrich, suspect. You can't have a real hero, I thought Pantani was sort of a cool figure but the way it was is actually pretty sad.