BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Many cycle paths create a hazard to the cyclist, that's why people ignore them.

I only know one worthwhile cycle path and that's the one out of Southport towards Preston.

Some are useful like the one that runs down the A6 near Garstang. But some are just ridiculous like one in Manchester City centre which takes you off the road, onto a pavement then inexplicably stops right in the middle of the pavement.

Whilst we're here are we going to make a thread about motorists were we can all whinge about how reckless and ignorant a lot of them are or can certain members stick to trolling on the football messageboard.

Ok just do what you like on the roads then and throw away the highway code, But don't complain if you get stick from drivers for being a dangerous nuisance.

(and I was mainly referring to cycle paths in Blackburn, that seem to go unused by cyclists because they would just slow them down a little)

p.s on average the vast majority of drivers are good cautious and safe, where as id say at least 40-50% of cyclists just couldn't give a toss about anybody else on the roads other than themselves.

Edited by T.J.Newton

Where in any of the above posts has anyone suggested that we do what we like or that we ignore the highway code? Clearly, there are a minority of cyclists who do stupid things in the same way as there are a minority of drivers who do. To suggest that the minority of cyclists who don't behave is between 40% and 50% is laughably ridiculous.

Most adult cyclists, at least around these parts, are probably also drivers, albeit ones who have some inkling of the speed that cyclists can travel at. I have no knowledge of cycle paths in Blackburn as I don't live there, but I'm guessing they are a mixture of random lines drawn on the carriageway and shared footpaths which stop and start seemingly at random. Cycle paths which make you continually leave and join road carriageways are considerably more dangerous than just riding along the road in the first place, both for cyclists and for drivers. I half suspect that the constant niggling you get from some car drivers is them realising that it's actually just as quick or quicker in urban areas to cycle and a damn sight cheaper as well.

I'm not a big cyclist although I have experience road riding. I can tell you it can be pretty scary when cars and lorries don't watch out for you - especially when crossing over roundabouts.

For that reason I always give a wide berth to them when I'm driving and allow them across in front of me if the are turning.

Some cyclists do also need to be mindful of other road users and stop thinking they have equal share of the road. There is an unofficial hierarchy on the roads, with large juggernauts at the top and those OAP-mobiles at the bottom, with cyclists second bottom. I base this on who would come out on top in a collision.

Cyclists are not invincible, and don't always have right of way, as many seem to think they do. My biggest bugbears though are when they ride through red lights (thanks for that, David Cameron) and riding two abreast.

• Like 1

Some cyclists do also need to be mindful of other road users and stop thinking they have equal share of the road. There is an unofficial hierarchy on the roads, with large juggernauts at the top and those OAP-mobiles at the bottom, with cyclists second bottom. I base this on who would come out on top in a collision.

Cyclists are not invincible, and don't always have right of way, as many seem to think they do. My biggest bugbears though are when they ride through red lights (thanks for that, David Cameron) and riding two abreast.

Can't agree with you there Stuart, cyclists have an equal right to be on the road and have an equal share of the road. I would mention the vehicles which worry me least are HGVs as these are handled by well trained drivers who are fully aware of the problem they cause cyclists - though I have to admit to a nasty moment with one on my way to Whitchurch a few weeks back! The two big problems for cyclists are White Van Man and impatient car drivers, often driving large, expensive cars, who try to overtake when there isn't the space and usually approaching a bend they can't see round.

I agree many people don't know how to behave on a bike and are real danger to themselves and other road users. What many motorists don't understand is cyclists actually have to use the road in much the same way as you drive a car. The main rule for a cyclist is to know when to adopt the "primary" position and when to adopt "secondary" position. The primary position is the safest for a cyclist and is the centre of the left hand lane, the secondary position is one metre from the left hand kerb which allows moving traffic to pass safely while giving the rider an escape route if needed.

Primary position is very important on narrow roads, junctions, urban areas with lots of parked cars, busy and slow moving traffic and it makes the cyclist highly visible and offers plenty of protection to the rider. For example passing parked cars one should ride a doors width from the parked vehicles, just as a driver should, ask any cyclist who has been "doored" and he /she will tell you why and this will put the cyclist in the centre of the lane. A following motorist may curse the rider but it is the safe and correct way to ride - it's the lack of knowledge or thought by the driver which is the problem and not the other way round.

Cycling responsibly is about asserting one's right to be on the road while riding in a safe position and causing a minimum of delay to other road users.

Cyclists are not, and never will be equal on the road.

At least not until they can cause the amount of damage to a car and driver, as the driver and car can do to them, in a collision.

Cyclists always seem to think that they have right of way. They need to reduce the risks that they take as they have a lot more to lose than a car driver.

By the way, cycling two abreast is fine apparently, and you should give a full car door width when passing. So you just want the whole road then? ;)

• Like 1

Cyclists don't pay tax or insurence or have to pass a test . How does it make it equal ?

Ah well cn174 got there first. Drivers pay a tax on their vehicle, it is not a tax on road use. Anyway I pay my Vehicle Excise Duty along with millions of others plus while I'm riding a bike I'm not having an impact on the road surface which is what car drivers believe VED is paying for - misguided but it's what they think!.

I pay approximately £50pa for third party liabilty and legal cover specifically designed for cyclists. The maximum amount of third party cover is £10,000,000 - what does your car insurance offer?

If there was a test I'd take it.

Edited by Paul

Men wearing cycling shorts whilst cycling on public roads when there only commuting to/from work, Why! its just wrong,I don't need some boney sad looking arse in my face every time I stop at lights smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-003

I wouldn't look at them then if you feel so strong about it!

The chamois black cycling lycra shorts haven't done much for me but if one wants to, as I read once, wear a shell, some light shorts on top of them like gym shorts, maybe polyester, nothing heavy like this http://www.rustyzipper.com/full/214641.jpg . I have done that. Once, I was on a trip without much if any traffic around and the sun was beating down hard. There I did just wear the lycra shorts, they were cool. But I see nothing wrong with those that do wear the black cycling shorts.

Edited by Audax