BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

It's been a gorgeous day for a ride today. Had a little pedal up to Garstang to have a look at how our new boat boat is coming along.

Off to Mallorca a week on Friday for 2 weeks with plenty of cycling included.

Do you take your own bike over with you or hire one when you get there?

I always hire. It usually costs £50 to take a bike on the plane plus the cost of whatever you put it in, plus the hassle of taking it apart and putting it back together twice, plus the risk of it missing the plane, plus having to only take hand luggage or pay for another bag as well. Against that i can hire a decent quality road bike for 70-100 euros a week.

Having said that my son usually takes his, although he has a good box to transport it in - Christmas present from his parents!

• Like 1

Do you take your own bike over with you or hire one when you get there?

I haven't been to Majorca riding but do fly my bike around. If I was going to Majorca I'd hire rather than fly the bike out.

Saying that bikes on planes work well. For example last summer I rode to Bordeaux, took a train to Nice and flew home. Prior to leaving I sent the box to Nice via courier. £30 on the plane and everything else as hand luggage - I travel VERY light. One big advantage of travelling with outsize luggage is after check in you go through separate security and your "luggage" is first off the plane and waiting for you in baggage reclaim.

Provided total weight of bike and carrier is 30kg or less the cost is very reasonable.

At least that's my experience.

Bike boxes and bags can be expensive and its worth keeping an eye on eBay. I have a box and a bag. Got both for £50, the box new is over £500!

Just a question of hitting lucky by keeping your eyes peeled.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

That may well be true - my experience is only really in Mallorca. I was at Toulouse airport a few years ago the day before the etape du tour. We had flown KLM via Amsterdam and they had left our bags there (I didn't have a bike). Whilst in the office reporting the loss a stream of cyclists came in looking for their bikes including a group from Canada. Their bikes would not be there for 24 hours which rather defeated the object of bringing them for the etape - imagine how they felt.

Certainly there is no advantage at Palma airport in having a bike box, especially at this time of year as there are so many coming in. The last time I was with Alex waiting for his bike we waited for ages at the point where they usually come out, only to find it later by itself by a completely different belt

I think timing has a lot to do with it. Whenever I've flown with the bike I've been the only cyclist. In the situations you describe I wouldn't take the bike or at least expect problems. When I've arrived at the airport in some instances they've actually been expecting me!!!

I'm sure Majorca must be a nightmare with thousands of cyclists and I'd definetley hire. Same with an event like the Etap. We get the same problem with trains in the UK. 99% of the time it's no problem but if one is heading towards an event it will be difficult.

I tend to go mid week as well. Mainly because it's cheaper.

I don't think going midweek makes a huge difference at this time of year in Mallorca Paul. I'm told there are 30-40,000 cyclists arriving every week about now, so they're coming all through the week. Don't go if you like to ride by yourself!

TBH I'm not sure I'd want to be there with 30,000 others!!!

I love club riding but the very best is when it's just me, the bike, spare cycle shirt and a couple of T-shirts in the panniers for a week.

I can see the attraction of a few days riding out by yourself too. Most of the riding I do at home is by myself rather than on club rides. But it is nice to be out and about in the Tramantuna mountains with lots of other cyclists and very few cars, even if most of them are passing me.

Single cyclists on country roads are rarely a pain. It's when there are dozens of them out together that they become a hazard to cars.

I get the impression that you believe that anything that gets in the way of you driving your car should not be on the road. Cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as car drivers and are considerably less of a hazard.

I get the impression that you believe that anything that gets in the way of you driving your car should not be on the road. Cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as car drivers and are considerably less of a hazard.

Wish I had a pound for every time I've seen a cyclist say that old chestnut when they get under the feet once more. Might be legally true but that's as far as it goes. Certainly not less of a hazard, especially when there's a bunch of them. Theno has it right.

• Like 1

Wish I had a pound for every time I've seen a cyclist say that old chestnut when they get under the feet once more. Might be legally true but that's as far as it goes. Certainly not less of a hazard, especially when there's a bunch of them. Theno has it right.

What do you mean by getting under the feet Al? It sounds like you just want to do what you want, no matter whether it's legal or not. Is that how you act in other circumstances as well?

As far as I'm aware anyone has a right to be on a public highway unless specifically excluded (e.g. motorways). Further to that pedestrians have priority, followed by horses, then cyclists and then motorised vehicles.

What do you mean by getting under the feet Al? It sounds like you just want to do what you want, no matter whether it's legal or not. Is that how you act in other circumstances as well?

As far as I'm aware anyone has a right to be on a public highway unless specifically excluded (e.g. motorways). Further to that pedestrians have priority, followed by horses, then cyclists and then motorised vehicles.

You are quite right. It's one of those outdated laws that are still on the statute until someone gets around to updating them. Until then we have to put up with cyclists quoting the law. Try being a pedestrian walking down the road and see where that gets you.

Excuse me for obeying the law. Maybe the law makers have looked at the law and decided it's working perfectly fine?

If there's enough pedestrians in the road though it works, as can be seen after every home game on Livesey Branch Road. Also if I walk in the road and you come along and knock me down, whilst it won't be good for me, it won't be great for you either.

Excuse me for obeying the law. Maybe the law makers have looked at the law and decided it's working perfectly fine?

If there's enough pedestrians in the road though it works, as can be seen after every home game on Livesey Branch Road. Also if I walk in the road and you come along and knock me down, whilst it won't be good for me, it won't be great for you either.

Football crowds are a law unto themselves but if you walk down the middle of the road under normal circumstances the plod will soon shift you or charge you with causing an obstruction to traffic, and quite rightly so.

Well if it's road race time the British Cycling a Elite Road Race season opener comes to Chorley on Easter Saturday April 4th. This is a new race in the calendar and will be known as the Chorley Grand Prix. Five laps of a 23 mile course from Chorley to Rivington, over the top to Belmont, through Abbey Village, Wheelton, on to Euxton and back to Chorley.

I know the name will make people laugh but do not underestimate the huge achievement of Chorley BC in getting this race to the area.

160 of the UK's elite cyclists will be competing.

Well if it's road race time the British Cycling a Elite Road Race season opener comes to Chorley on Easter Saturday April 4th. This is a new race in the calendar and will be known as the Chorley Grand Prix. Five laps of a 23 mile course from Chorley to Rivington, over the top to Belmont, through Abbey Village, Wheelton, on to Euxton and back to Chorley.

I know the name will make people laugh but do not underestimate the huge achievement of Chorley BC in getting this race to the area.

160 of the UK's elite cyclists will be competing.

Any details Paul, thats pretty close to me, may be a worthwhile watch.