BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Being only a fair weather cyclist i went out on only my 3rd ride of the year yesterday. I'd forgot the hell that is the A59 between Osbaldeston and Whalley! Terrified doesn't come close to how i was feeling as lorry after lorry barrelled past me. I did see a bloke in a spiderman outfit cycling the other way so it wasn't all bad.

After carrying on to Clitheroe and then towards Bashall Eaves i made the mistake of tackling something called 'Birdy Brow' that takes you to the top of Longridge fell. Frig me that's a killer. Have any of you lot made it to the top without needing rescusitation?

Anyway, if any of you have any recommendations for decent rides round Lanky or beyond they'd be much appreciated.

ta

Through the Trough of Bowland from Bashall would have been a good alternative and then on towards Lancaster direction, you can see the whole of Morecambe bay further up that road.

Through the Trough of Bowland from Bashall would have been a good alternative and then on towards Lancaster direction, you can see the whole of Morecambe bay further up that road.

cheers, my legs had gone by then though, i'm not in the best shape at the moment! Defo gonna try and get up that direction at the weekend. Lancaster maybe a bit of a stretch! The cafe at Dunsop Bridge appeals though.

The A59 is a road to be avoided along its whole length on a bike. Luckily there are plenty of alternatives. For your ride you could have followed the Lancashire cycle way from Mellor over to Ramsgreave & Wilpshire station then back up over York to Whalley. Lumpier than the A59 but pretty quiet and a fabulous long descent not Whalley.

If you're on Strava you should be able to see my rides all over Lancashire over the last few years.

thanks. never heard of Strava but i'll look it up. I'll have a go at the Lancs cycle way

Ah yes Birdy Brow. Might as well throw in Jeffrey Hill as well!

From where you are just head out in to the Ribble Valley and make it up as you go along.

the Mont Ventoux of Lancs! I did look up towards Jeffrey Hill but turned left instead at the New Drop Inn and headed down to Ribchester. Far easier!!

^_^ Very droll TJ. Pretty sure I'm not alone in thinklng that you won't ever need to bother learning to ride? :P

I control my biting point effortlessly, but my 3 point turn needs work(and don't even get me started on reverse parking) I'm sure it'll all come together in the end. :rock:

Edited by T J Batty Man

cheers, my legs had gone by then though, i'm not in the best shape at the moment! Defo gonna try and get up that direction at the weekend. Lancaster maybe a bit of a stretch! The cafe at Dunsop Bridge appeals though.

thanks. never heard of Strava but i'll look it up. I'll have a go at the Lancs cycle way

The cafes in Chipping and Slaidburn are better. To ease your way back have a look at national cycle route 6 - it goes north from Preston to Lancaster along the Bowland foothills.

Beware the Lancs cycle way. Beyond Whalley it gets seriously lumpy. Although if you go the other way it's flat as a pancake for a long way.

We were waiting on a red light at the crossroads in Nelson yesterday afternoon when another idiot cyclist rode straight past us all, ignoring the red light, straight through into the heavy traffic going the correct way at 90 degrees to us and causing chaos. There were headlights flashing and horns sounding and he casually took both hands off the handlebars and flicked v signs at the car drivers. It's no wonder drivers hate cyclists and would love to see them banned from the roads.

The cafes in Chipping and Slaidburn are better. To ease your way back have a look at national cycle route 6 - it goes north from Preston to Lancaster along the Bowland foothills.

Beware the Lancs cycle way. Beyond Whalley it gets seriously lumpy. Although if you go the other way it's flat as a pancake for a long way.

The Potted Barn in Ribchester is always a good stopping point and make cyclists very welcome.

There are some cracking rides on the more westerly parts of the Lancashire Cycleway and plenty of ways to hop on and off it for some variety. Just be aware of Roby Brow! I've seen people fall off trying to get up that one.

There's a good ride out through the Trough over to Quernmore and back down shadowing the A6. The drawback is having to ride the A6 for a few miles. It's also probably better to reverse the route and climb the Trough from the easier (!) side, if only for the fabulous descent afterwards.

Another to try would be down to Ribchester, over to Chipping and Whitewell and then over Cow Ark (deep suffering) or miss that and go up the easier side of Waddy Fell (some suffering but for longer!) then drop into Waddy but watch your speed on the descent as there is an increasing number of pot holes in the tree shadows.

If drivers "hate" cyclists that's more the drivers' problem than anything else.

Drivers really need to learn to differentiate between idiots on bikes and cyclists. If anyone wants to spend a few hours on a bike with me and anyone of the 170 people in our club you would quickly learn we have a great deal of respect for other road users and consider their needs and likely behaviour. Two reasons, self preservation and a desire to be seen to behave correctly.

In general cyclists have far more road awareness than drivers.

Just because there are idiots driving Mercs, Audis and 4x4s doesn't make me hate all drivers.

• Like 4

The cycling phenomenon at the min on the roads is becoming a bit of a bug bear for many people. A keen cyclist myself although more the mountain bike variety at the min I seem to be scratching my head daily at some of these on the road. For every good 5 there is one or two complete knobs and most seem to operate the same as they do when in a car i.e I'm in my own bubble oblivious to anyone else and I'm untouchable. Stupid attitude as if your on a bike and you argue with a motor vehicle you lose !

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Drivers really need to learn to differentiate between idiots on bikes and cyclists. If anyone wants to spend a few hours on a bike with me and anyone of the 170 people in our club you would quickly learn we have a great deal of respect for other road users and consider their needs and likely behaviour. Two reasons, self preservation and a desire to be seen to behave correctly.

Just because there are idiots driving Mercs, Audis and 4x4s doesn't make me hate all drivers.

Plenty of sound people drive those cars, and plenty of idiots drive smaller cars as well!

Plenty of sound people drive those cars, and plenty of idiots drive smaller cars as well!

I know, that's the point. I don't judge all car drivers by the behaviour of a few often in particular type of car. All the way from the young male in a hot hatch to the "mature" driver in an Audi or similar.

We were waiting on a red light at the crossroads in Nelson yesterday afternoon when another idiot cyclist rode straight past us all, ignoring the red light, straight through into the heavy traffic going the correct way at 90 degrees to us and causing chaos. There were headlights flashing and horns sounding and he casually took both hands off the handlebars and flicked v signs at the car drivers. It's no wonder drivers hate cyclists and would love to see them banned from the roads.

I bet the situation wadnt quite as black and white as your account of it portrays and I'm a driver and i don't "hate cyclists" Edited by T J Batty Man

• Backroom

Your post could've been summed up as 'Nah, you're lying'. I more meant to mind the way you word things than what you say (same goes for many on here tbh).

I need to get off this bloody high horse. It's all this bloody teaching I've been doing grrrr.

Sorry for any confusion, I just meant that I believe that its likely he's exaggerating and telling the story from a very biased perspective(as hes said plenty of times in the past that he hates cyclists),

Although if I thought he(or anybody else) was flat out lying id say so, all this litigious & libellous bolox over insignificant matters can do one back across the pond to the yankland.

thanks for the lesson though mickey, always appreciated :angry::D

Edited by T J Batty Man

Preach all you like Paul but the idiots I see on the roads are mainly cyclists. I'll not be taking you up on your company on a bike ride Paul. We have enough differences on here.

The bit in bold is just nonsense.

Edited by Al

There's a good ride out through the Trough over to Quernmore and back down shadowing the A6. The drawback is having to ride the A6 for a few miles. It's also probably better to reverse the route and climb the Trough from the easier (!) side, if only for the fabulous descent afterwards.

There's no need to go on the A6 at all on that ride. If you come off the Jubilee Tower road and head south for Bay Horse you pick up route 6, which you can follow through Scorton all the way south to Preston or cut off at Grimsargh if you want to go further east. Or you can avoid Jubilee Tower by taking the first left after the top of the Trough and meeting route 6 in Scorton.

Your class struggle continues eh Paul? However whilst some drivers of those marques can display a certain arrogance the worst drivers on the road imo tend to drive small cars.

• Like 1

Preach all you like Paul but the idiots I see on the roads are mainly cyclists. I'll not be taking you up on your company on a bike ride Paul. We have enough differences on here.

I worry for your eyesight then Al. To suggest that the majority of bad behaviour on the roads is by cyclists is frankly ludicrous.

On Tuesday I went out for a ride across West Lancashire. It was a nice warm day so there were lots and lots of cyclists out, both out for longer rides like me or just pottering round locally. The only incident of bad behaviour was a car driver (I think it was a BMW for the record), who overtook me dangerously on a country lane and screeched into a gap between me and two other riders forcing me to break suddenly and almost come off.

Now, like Paul, I don't assume that because I came across a driver behaving stupidly that the majority of car drivers behave badly. But it seems to be OK to make these sweeping generalisations about cyclists.

I tend to agree with Paul. Whilst cyclists appear to have an attitude in common with Paul's personification of 4x4 drivers I do believe that the vulnerability of cycling does make one more aware of situations which may arise on the road. Even more so for 'bikers. I've cycled as a kid and had a couple of motor bikes before I could afford a car and I firmly believe that everybody should spend a year on a motorbike before they are allowed to take a test.

btw just as an aside ..... are cycles and motor cycles banned in the Q'uran? :rock:

Edited by thenodrog

• Moderation Lead

In my own experience the worst drivers do seem to be clueless young kids driving small cars, and goons with their rented supercars driving like maniacs around built up areas.....

In my own experience the worst drivers do seem to be clueless young kids driving small cars, and goons with their rented supercars driving like maniacs around built up areas.....

Well you have to get the deliveries out on time!