BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sorry to read this John. Hope you're recovering well. Have you reported the pothole to the local authority? As a club we do quite often and a surprising number get filled.

On a lighter note. Anyone want to guess who turned up to ride one of the local 10 mile Time Trials last night?

None other than Sir Bradley Wiggins!!!!! Clocked 18.59 on the Rainford bypass alongside a bunch of ordinary everyday club cyclists.

What a man!

Impressive story.

• 1 month later...

Back on my bike today, exactly 6 weeks since my accident. Just a ride down to the Skoda garage, about 4 miles but it was good to be back out. Knee healing well.

In other news, what a terrific race the Tour is this year. Lots to look forward to over the next fortnight.

• Like 2

It certainly was interesting yesterday. It looks like the strong winds on the top of Ventoux were the main culprit. As they chopped off the last few kilometres of the climb the same huge number of people were squashed into less road. On top of that they could not put up as many barriers along the last few kilometres of the route as they would have planned to do. Having said that the behaviour of some of the fans really is ridiculous. Still it seems like the commissaires have taken the sensible decision and luckily no one was hurt.

It certainly was interesting yesterday. It looks like the strong winds on the top of Ventoux were the main culprit. As they chopped off the last few kilometres of the climb the same huge number of people were squashed into less road. On top of that they could not put up as many barriers along the last few kilometres of the route as they would have planned to do. Having said that the behaviour of some of the fans really is ridiculous. Still it seems like the commissaires have taken the sensible decision and luckily no one was hurt.

Quite extraordinary watching Chris Froome run up part of Ventoux and then be given a neutral bike with a different pedal to his cleats. Still as you say common sense prevailed and everybody seemed happy. Richie Porte looks really good and with some luck could really challenge.

Shame about Ventoux, although I bet the likes of Quintana was very relieved too, he was dropped and that looked like a gap that was only going to grow.

Today's time trial though I think has secured the Yellow jersey for Froome, he's nearly 2 minutes in front now, and unless Quintana blows him away in the Alps, its pretty safe. Quintana looks to me to not be aggressive enough- in nearly 2 weeks he has had 1 or 2 attacks, especially since he knows he is likely to give big time away in every time trial.

Back to other cycling stuff; I was at an intersection on my bicycle today and unbelievably, a car clipped a motorbike and the rider went flying, oh, only a few feet but that must have scared the beejebers out of him... really and the rider had no helmet on, his lime-coloured Kawasaki got a dent in the gas tank area, an ambulance was called, the police were there. It was a low speed incident at a stop light but still.

I've always got my helmet on and after seeing that, it really reinforces the habit.

It was a sudden jilt for the guy and so barring some unforeseen injury, I would think he's okay but a close call nonetheless.

Just what one needs, one more of the gazillion threads on bike helmets on the web but what can you say?

Edited by Audax

Indeed, who knows how more serious my accident would have been had I not had a helmet on. Although my main injury was my knee I must have then landed on my head as the helmet was bashed and I ended up with a deep cut on my lip and a smaller one on my eyebrow.

• Like 1

Terrible news about Chris Boardman's mum being killed while out cycling in Deeside. RIP.

ITV4 did a really nice piece at the end of their TdF highlights programme this evening. It was all Chris Boardmans own words and was quite moving.

RIP.

• Like 1

The Rules always me laugh when I return to read them again. Never thought to share them here before:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Two of my favourites are:

Rule #37

The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed over the helmet straps. No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; its just the way it is.

Rule #42

A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

The whole website is a great combination of interesting stuff and taking the mick out of a sport the contributors love.

Edited by Paul

#5 - absolutely. The answer to every situation.

And of course 17 has to go with:

Rule #16 Respect the jersey.

Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if youve won the championship or led the race.

Edited by Paul

Brilliant Tour for Froome, he has a great team around him, but he's a fantastic climber, time-trialler, decent descender, (and average mountain runner). 3 Le Tour titles so far, and looks like he's more than capable of carrying on winning.

I have a lot of time for froome. He seems to be the only rider to have to beat the course, the other cyclists and the French spectators. Only really dip in and out of Tour de France and what I know about other cycling events could write on the back of a stamp but froome has urine thrown at him, has to push overzealous fans out of the way, running the end of one section after motorbike ran into his bike or something.

Funny how we're in the middle of golden age for cycling having had Chris boardman and no one else for decades. Adam Yates who won white jersey from Lancashire. Also cavendish did have green jersey until left to train for Olympics and hes only a few wins of most overall stage wins or something.

The French fans have been much more supportive of Froome this year - he said as much on the Today programme this morning. I think a lot of it was an assumption that he might be taking drugs to be so good, which is a hangover from the Lancs Armstrong era. He seems to have overcome that this year, partly because of his more positive attitude in attacking more, probably.

Adam Yates is a revelation, given he is only 23, which is young for a professional cyclist. It will be interesting how he and his twin brother Simon develop.

I can see Adam Yates moving over to Sky and becoming their tour GC guy once Froome has had his day, he's shown this year that he can win it in the future and is set to be GC rider at every tour he rides at.

As for Froome another fantastic tour, he just keeps improving every year. He should be Sports Personality of the year after that run up Ventoux but I bet some dour Scottish bloke will probably win.

Edited by Clitherover

• 1 month later...

That's very similar too, probably is, the model I will be restoring. A beautiful machine. I'm unsure how it will compare in terms of comfort etc. with my modern bikes but I don't realm care. Once it's completed I think I will simply enjoy owning it whether it gets ridden much or not.