BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Internationals

Has anyone any idea of the maximum number of Rovers players to have played together in any National team. Obviously England must be the top choice and with the likes of Shearer, Ripley, Flowers, Wilcox, Batty, Le Saux, all playing for Rovers around the same period.

Curretnly we have

Algeria

Linganzi

Argentina

Formica

Australia

Emerton

Grella

Canada

Hoilett

Congo

Samba

Croatia

Kalinic

France

Goulon

N'zonzi

Grenada

Roberts

Netherlands

Rigters

New Zealand

Nelsen

Norway

Pedersen

Paraguay

R Santa CruzJ Santa Cruz

Senegal

EH Diouf

MB Diouf

Spain

Salgado

Rochina

Sweden

Olsson

USA

J Jones

Zimbabwe

Benjani

*NOTE taken from the top of my head, I have not included British players and I may of missed some reserves.

11/06/95 v Brazil (H) L 3-1 (F)

Flowers, Gary Neville, Pearce, Scales (Barton),

Cooper, Anderton, Platt, Batty (Gascoigne),

Le Saux, Sheringham (Collymore), Shearer

Thanks Tim, that is the one that I can find having the most Rovers in the team.

Next best seems to be:

3rd June 95 v Japan: Flowers,Batty, Shearer.

8th June 95 v Sweden; Flowers, Le Saux, Shearer.

Don't have the stats to hand but Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas must have played in the same England team on more than a few occasions.

They played together 9 times between October 1957 v Wales, and May 1960 v Yugoslavia.

I remember them both playing at Hampden in April 1958 where England won 4-0 and Duggie took the Scots apart.

As an aside, while looking up the playing records I discovered that it is Duggie’s birthday tomorrow, where he will have reached the tender age of 77.

I was 8 years old when I first saw him play and he has remained my all time Rovers hero to this day.

In this age of multi million pound moves, here is a list of the clubs Bryan played for. Makes you think doesn’t it?

Blackburn Schools, Blackburn Youth, Lancashire Youth, Lower Darwen Youth Club, Blackburn Rovers, Great Harwood.

They played together 9 times between October 1957 v Wales, and May 1960 v Yugoslavia.

I remember them both playing at Hampden in April 1958 where England won 4-0 and Duggie took the Scots apart.

As an aside, while looking up the playing records I discovered that it is Duggie's birthday tomorrow, where he will have reached the tender age of 77.

I was 8 years old when I first saw him play and he has remained my all time Rovers hero to this day.

In this age of multi million pound moves, here is a list of the clubs Bryan played for. Makes you think doesn't it?

Blackburn Schools, Blackburn Youth, Lancashire Youth, Lower Darwen Youth Club, Blackburn Rovers, Great Harwood.

Happy birthday, Duggie.

What a player.

Happy birthday, Duggie.

What a player.

Indeed what a player. I feel truly lucky to have seen him play when he was destroying the best the first division had to offer. The number of players playing today capable of scoring that famous goal against West Brom on Easter Saturday 1963 you could count on the fingers of one finger. Messi- that's it.

Thanks Tim, that is the one that I can find having the most Rovers in the team.

Next best seems to be:

3rd June 95 v Japan: Flowers,Batty, Shearer.

8th June 95 v Sweden; Flowers, Le Saux, Shearer.

Ah, the Umbro cup. I remember it well

3 Jocks, Hendry, Mckinlay and Gallacher all playing for Scotland while at Rovers. I thought it was 4 with Dailly but I think he arrived after Hendry left for Rangers?

Happy days!! But did you have to mention Dailly

Indeed what a player. I feel truly lucky to have seen him play when he was destroying the best the first division had to offer. The number of players playing today capable of scoring that famous goal against West Brom on Easter Saturday 1963 you could count on the fingers of one finger. Messi- that's it.

Fergie away to Villa circa 1964 - 65 ...... didn't he sit on the ball on the goal-line after dribbling round the entire defence ?

Fergie away to Villa circa 1964 - 65 ...... didn't he sit on the ball on the goal-line after dribbling round the entire defence ?

Didn't see that one Jim but I've heard plenty about over the years. Sounds like it's up there with the Douglas goal for the best ever home and away. Dougie's was the best I've seen at Ewood.

Archived