BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darren Gibson

67splitscreen

Not as much of a minority as I thought! :)

Here is a good collection of his goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2f9FbKAatw

Worse than Andrews? Not in a million years. The technique and vision for some of those goals is excellent. I know every player is capable of getting the odd screamer, but there is a pretty large array of excellent strikes there - enough to heavily suggest they're not Mokoena-esque flukes.

If anyone can remember back to the Schalke CL semi-final last season too, he played some excellent passes. One assist in particular was stunning, I can't remember who scored the goal now. That game was on the back off that Twitter abuse thing too, so he's obviously got character.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prize for which foot he shoots with. ;) We have nothing in the locker like him, Yet! :D

There is a cracking left foot goal around the 2 minute mark!

Another belter here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZKml92PZA&feature=related

That seems to be something he excels at - playing one-twos, receiving the second ball and driving at goal. Early days I know, but Formica seems like he'd love someone like that behind him in midfield, he's on that kind of wavelength. Could really see him dropping deep off the front man and laying those balls into Gibson's path as he bursts past him. Roberts can even play a part too if he uses his ample backside to stop a defender blocking the shot.

There is a cracking left foot goal around the 2 minute mark!

Another belter here:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

That seems to be something he excels at - playing one-twos, receiving the second ball and driving at goal. Early days I know, but Formica seems like he'd love someone like that behind him in midfield, he's on that kind of wavelength. Could really see him dropping deep off the front man and laying those balls into Gibson's path as he bursts past him. Roberts can even play a part too if he uses his ample backside to stop a defender blocking the shot.

Crackers with both pegs is what I was alluding too, not many can do that from range.

Would love to know what his stats are for shots on target.

Same here. Some people on here are good at digging stats out...

What really impresses me is the different techniques used in those goals, he doesn't just thump them like Reid used to. That first goal (against Hull) is a perfect curling shot, wouldn't look out of place in Le Tissier collection. Then the one against West Ham is a brilliantly executed chip, not many have the vision and technique to pull those off.

I think he's struggled for consistency at OT. But then being in and out of a team can do that to some players. The raw tools are there to be a cracking midfielder. I'm hoping Cleverley's emergence in central midfield has made this deal more likely.

How many times does Whisky Nose let a good player go by choice? I'm struggling to think of any player that he has let go that has been a success in The Premier League. Off the top of my head Van Horseface is the only player who The Rags let go who has had any type of top flight success anywhere. Maybe The Guvnor at a push.

I fear Gibson would be the next Nicky Butt.

Not for me.

Has anyone that is raving about Gibson actually seen him play live? i have many times for Ireland and he just isn't good enough,just because he is a Man Utd squad player does not make him a good player,as an irishman i love having fellow countrymen wearing the famous blue and white halves but Andrews although tried his best is not good enough and Gibson is no better,i hate Joey Barton but would much rather we signed him over Gibson,so i may be in a minority but i don't want Gibson at ewood.

Has anyone that is raving about Gibson actually seen him play live? i have many times for Ireland and he just isn't good enough,just because he is a Man Utd squad player does not make him a good player,as an irishman i love having fellow countrymen wearing the famous blue and white halves but Andrews although tried his best is not good enough and Gibson is no better,i hate Joey Barton but would much rather we signed him over Gibson,so i may be in a minority but i don't want Gibson at ewood.

well i`m in your minority then, he`s sh1t.

How many times does Whisky Nose let a good player go by choice? I'm struggling to think of any player that he has let go that has been a success in The Premier League. Off the top of my head Van Horseface is the only player who The Rags let go who has had any type of top flight success anywhere. Maybe The Guvnor at a push.

Not for me.

Just off the top of my head, Neville, P., Tim Howard, Beckham (won La Liga), Pique, G. Rossi...

Not for me.

Best of the lot was Jaap Stam, he was going to let Berbatov go but he preferred to stay, Cleverley out on loan last season, did well, Beckham on loan at PNE, Richardson has done pretty well at Sunderland too, Andy Cole did well for Rovers so there have been a few!

I have to agree with you completely, he's okay but no better than what we have in my opinion which tells it's own story.

Been reading redcafe net, If this does come off I cant see it being a 1 year loan with an option.

He is in his final year of is current contract with no offer on the table of an extension, so maybe it would be 6 month with an option in Jan. Otherwise 'I'm free' in the summer.

Also most on there seem to think that if he was to be offered a new contract it would not be in the 40kpw bracket, I believe he was asking for 40k at S'land hence the breakdown in talks.

It's a long topic that dates back to 2009 but if anyone is interested My link

As for the twitter abuse, lets face it, if 0.1% of their world wide support posted that would be enough to drive most away.

But they are comparing him to Scholes, Rooney, Nani etc - we are comparing him to Keef & Gorilla. :wacko:

Spot on, Hughesy.

By United standards, he probably isn't good enough. For a PL club like us, he's worth a shot. Don't see how anyone can sneer at a loan-deal. We've got nothing to lose and we need a healthy squad.

And the guy's not afraid to shoot from distance. Something we painfully lack in midfield.

Two of my mates are season ticket holders at Old Trafford and they've said he just isn't any good.

Gibson was on Twitter for one whole day I think, but quit after the abuse he was getting from UNITED fans

Well my mates a little closer than that and he says apart from a little bit of an attitude, he's a decent player!!

Well my mates a little closer than that and he says apart from a little bit of an attitude, he's a decent player!!

Don't think it matters where you sit when he plays in a match. If he looks poo he looks poo. No matter if you know him personally or not. (also, he might look like a world beater in training but the match is where he has to shine)

My mates aren't the usual, biased United fans either; who compare every midfielder with Scholes and Keane.

2 long range goals does not make him prolific.

MOTD player

But, everyone sees a player differently.

Archived