• Junior Hoilett
    • David Dunn
    • Jason Roberts
    • Mauro Formica
    • Morten Gamst Pedersen
    • Ruben Rochina
    • Didn't see it but would like to see results anyway

Guest Wen Y Hu

So, who was your main man on the pitch for the season-opener?

Match discussion is over on the match thread, so please limit comments here to your choice. We'll close the poll at lunchtime on Friday and announce the result. Bear in mind that the site software requires the thread to be closed in order to close the poll.

First half Roberts, after half time - the corner flag.

Harsh.

The corner flag had a decent first half. Looked really effective... at corners.

EDIT: in all seriousness I struggled for a MotM. Probably Robbo on account of his penalty save and having to put up with everything that was happening in front of him. After that, maybe Hanley.

I was surprised to hear boos for Dunn when it was announced during the game! :blink:

i thought hanley looked nervy at first but got better as the game went on, still, we cant rely on young unproven defenders at this stage.

I think he'll be okay alongside Samba or Nelsen to bring him through. Problem is having him and Nzonzi out there - plus Olsson who seemed determined to do his Roberto Carlos impression while Salgado had an absolute shocker. And no defensive midfield to speak of in front.

Amongst all that Hanley did pretty well. Quite looking forward to see how he develops.

Must admit Hanley did better than I expected, especially considering he was our main defender. It was a good thing for us to see.

I voted Formica, had a very good first 60 minutes, but faded as the game got on. Held the ball well, good skill and always looked to go forward, rather than pass it backwards and slow down attacks.

Gotta be Roberts, 90% of Formica's goal was down to him.

Him bumbling and barging his way through and getting a few lucky touches.

The important 10% was down to Formica, and that was to stick it away - something JR could do with learning! :rolleyes:

Him bumbling and barging his way through and getting a few lucky touches.

:lol: Oh is that what it was? Cause I seem to remember a hopeful punt upfield with Roberts outpacing the defence before staying on his feet well after the 1st defender basically jumped on him, before he flicked it over the challenge of the 2nd defender, flicked it over the challenge of the 3rd defender, and then volleyed the ball into Formica's path.

I know some fans just can't seem to get over their blinkered, prejudiced view that everything players like Roberts and Pedersen does is rubbish but calling that bumbling, barging and lucky is beyond ridiculous. If Formica had beaten 3 men and Roberts finished you'd be saying how the keeper should have saved it while proclaiming Formica as a world beater.

I agreed with Dunn getting the MoM award. He was working hard in midfield and was the only one that seemed to be doing anything over the whole 90 minutes. Formica and Roberts combined well for the goal, but in the second half neither really did anything of note. Everyone else just did OK (Olsson, Hanley) or had a shocker (N'zonzi, Salgado).

Archived