BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scotland

In todays budget Osbourne has written down the tax revenues for future north sea oil. This will leave a hole in the independent scottish budget of around £1000 per household per year.

Is this another trick by Osbourne to undermine the Yes vote, or a real problem for Salmond?

How would it undermine the yes vote

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By making the economic argument for an independent Scotland look gloomy. (Yes campaign would have been a better phrasing)

Ah I see now,

Is there not an argument that all of the UK should vote, that was the problem with the Crimea vote, was it not

Ah I see now,

Is there not an argument that all of the UK should vote, that was the problem with the Crimea vote, was it not

Crimeas issue was that the area is under occupancy by a foreign army, the vote was undertaken within 2 weeks was not done with any kind of independent checking, let alone the groups most likely to oppose it boycotted the election.

Slightly different to Scotland.

Anyhow, no i dont think the whole country should get a vote. Why should their independence be decided by what people in kent want?

• Backroom

Ah I see now,

While I see your point, Crimea is a disputed region between 2 sovereign nations. Scotland leaving the UK to become absolutely independent is more like the Aussies leaving the Commonwealth.

If anything (happily) Crimea is more like Scotland claiming Doncaster as it's own :P

Crimeas issue was that the area is under occupancy by a foreign army, the vote was undertaken within 2 weeks was not done with any kind of independent checking, let alone the groups most likely to oppose it boycotted the election.

Slightly different to Scotland.

Anyhow, no i dont think the whole country should get a vote. Why should their independence be decided by what people in kent want?

It wasn't initially and the argument was all of Ukraine had to vote to make it legal

While I see your point, Crimea is a disputed region between 2 sovereign nations. Scotland leaving the UK to become absolutely independent is more like the Aussies leaving the Commonwealth.

If anything (happily) Crimea is more like Scotland claiming Doncaster as it's own :P

Crimea was Ukraine sovereign territory.

Alex Salmond wants independence from the UK, so all of the UK should vote as it affects all of the UK

Because people in Kent pay taxes which are used to subsidise the Scottish. Pretty obvious I'd have thought.

tbh I think if people down here voted then Scotlands independence would be nailed on! It's a bit like being told you have a massive tapeworm in your intestine and then given a prescription for Panacur or similar anthelmintic.... do you think 'No, it's lived off me for so long that it owes it's existence to me and it is actually a part of me'? Or do you take it asap and pdq?

Because people in Kent pay taxes which are used to subsidise the Scottish. Pretty obvious I'd have thought.

tbh I think if people down here voted then Scotlands independence would be nailed on! It's a bit like being told you have a massive tapeworm in your intestine and then given a prescription for Panacur or similar anthelmintic.... do you think 'No, it's lived off me for so long that it owes it's existence to me and it is actually a part of me'? Or do you take it asap and pdq?

Like it

:lol:

Historically Cardiff and Swansea have always played in England. After their amateur early days both clubs played in the old Southern League until the early 1920s when they joined the Football League. I'm not sure why you find this "amazing" or do you expect them to play in the semi-professional Welsh League?

I find it amazing because they play in the ENGLISH league. You try to tell a Welshman he is English and you will be greeted with a bunch of fives. The Scottish and Irish teams are not allowed in the English League so why are the Welsh? Yes they should play in the Welsh League which would probably be improved by their presence.

Guest Norbert

Yeah, they're constantly trying to force their way into the Premier League. The Scottish Premier division should not take place next season. The other teams should just negotiate how many points Celtic should win by, and then hold a raffle to decide who goes in which position in the table.

As for the Welsh teams, Wales have only recently become a recognised country. Up to to 1950's or around then, it was constitutionally a weird sort of half country. People knew of a 'Wales', where it was etc. but it didn't have anything like a capital city, or any real political framework. So culturally it was a different country, but politically it wasn't. Scotland has had a different legal and educational system for a while before devolution, but Wales was like a group of English county councils.

• 1 year later...

In todays budget Osbourne has written down the tax revenues for future north sea oil. This will leave a hole in the independent scottish budget of around £1000 per household per year.

Is this another trick by Osbourne to undermine the Yes vote, or a real problem for Salmond?

Looks like we are set to continue subsidising the Jocks for years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-33994961

English referendum anyone ?

Looks like we are set to continue subsidising the Jocks for years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-33994961

English referendum anyone ?

Ill take a northern referendum.

As for oil, theres a good deal of politicking going on, trying to force the governments hand on tax cuts. The price of oil has decreased in general, but north sea oil is particularly affected as they haven't reduced volumes - the traditional way to keep price elevated.

This same thing happened in 99, the price of Brent oil decreased by 50% in 6 months, Labour cut the tax rate, and then the price went back up, the result was record profits for the oil companies.

Ill take a northern referendum.

As for oil, theres a good deal of politicking going on, trying to force the governments hand on tax cuts. The price of oil has decreased in general, but north sea oil is particularly affected as they haven't reduced volumes - the traditional way to keep price elevated.

This same thing happened in 99, the price of Brent oil decreased by 50% in 6 months, Labour cut the tax rate, and then the price went back up, the result was record profits for the oil companies.

And more tax revenue to support the Jocks

• 1 year later...

Queen Sturgeon not doing to well on the international stage, another nail in her coffin

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/729607/Nicola-Sturgeon-loses-10BILLION-trade-deal-with-China-dubbed-Scottish-shambles

Absolute clown. Making a dog's dinner out of a trade agreement with a company that had a history of worker abuses and corruption anyway! Only thing that she's good at is sticking her beak in and preaching to the English.

Archived