BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scotland

Guest Norbert

With deep fried Mars Bars.

It is odd that they want independence, yet want to have the pound. No doubt if the Bank of England does something like devalue it in a time of difficulty, the Scots will chip in and give their opinion. And if they do say yes, can we repeal tuition fees and the PFI contracts they hoisted upon England and Wales, but avoided themselves when Labour were in power?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only motivation for Scottish independence is that they all have massive chips on their shoulders

You're getting confused with Australians and scousers, ersatz or otherwise. Scots have a massive superiority complex based on .... err ??.

Most Scots I have spoken to feel the the vote will be a decisive No. The problem is Salmond will try again in a few years so ultimately there will be a secession.

What's interesting is that Catalans are watching this with fascination. There are desperate to gain independence but Madrid refuses to listen. Protests have been relatively peaceful so far but could get nasty. The Spanish have expressed their admiration for the democratic process here and the civilised nature of the debate.

Salmond is a head-banger. If he loses once, that should be it, unless it's close he'll have no mandate for a new referendum.

It feels like this is his vanity project.

If Scotland get independence, but the EU won't have them, I guess that means we can throw the Scots out of England.

Scottish Independence. Not relevent to the rest of the thread but I thought I'd put this here...

Now not withstanding the fact that Alex Salmond and his cronies appear to hold the very selfish viewpoint 'whats yours is mine and whats mine is my own' and that there are more holes in theire plans for Scottish Independence than potholes in Blackburn re: the pound... the euro.... the eu ..... nato.... oil ...... national debt, NHS etc etc etc however I can't help but wonder how the hell they think that they can vote for their own Independence. If that was the way centuries ago then surely they would never have become a part of the Union in the first place? Lest we forget (cos it seems thay have done) we conquered them time and again in battle, they were troublesome neighbours for centuries and thousands of our forefathers died in procuring that particular part of Northern Britain for King and country.

So my question is ..... what right have the scots to vote for their independence? We conquered them, we have ruled them, we have supported them for centuries so surely the citizens of England are the only peoples with the right to vote on the future of the scots?

We conquered you to use your own words....

The only motivation for Scottish independence is that they all have massive chips on their shoulders

People should read up more on exactly what has transpired between the two countries over the last 200 or so years. There's a reason a number of Scots have chips on their shoulders, it's even more amusing when you see that those for are in the main highly educated and those not educated are against. It's an interesting debate and who knows if it would work out as i wouldn't believe anything a politician writes/says. At the end of the day the UK is poorly run there are two many divides, just look at the north and the south, until this changes and the United Kingdom becomes united this won't go away.

I don't know a single Scotsman who thinks independence can be beneficial for Scotland. That's only out of the half-dozen I know, mind.

here's some of the people I know who are Scottish jobs and pro or not.

Judge - For

MD - For

Doctor - For

Business owner - For

accountant - For

Student - Dunno

Mother - No

Builder - No

Lecturer - undecided

The sooner the Scots start paying their own way the better the English will like it and if they want the profits from North Sea oil they must first reimburse the cost of extracting it.

• Backroom

Maj, the fact 3 of those professions involve dealing with money or getting as much money as possible doesn't fill me with confidence. Your 'ordinary working folk' on there seem sceptical.

Sounds about right in left wing or right wing terms tbh.

The benefit to Scotland is that your oil/gas will be yours and yours only. BUT you stand to lose the benefits of English taxes; that is England stands to lose less tax than you.

It's a strange one imo. I can only see small losses for both countries and very little gain. However it'll make the next England v Scotland match more interesting :P

Even by your standards that is an astonishing view. Have you really thought about the final paragraph, despite it being largely factually incorrect?

I'm unsure what the implications of Scottish Independence are for the rest of the UK but do struggle to see how Scotland will survive financially. I've plenty of Scottish friends who are certain it will work.

Salmond's decision to keep the £sterling is interesting. If Scotland is to be independent I feel either the Bank of England decides who can use our currency or Scotland has it's own or the Euro.

Apart from deep water harbours there's not much else that Scotland brings to the party is there? As for adopting the £...they will want to hitch a ride on the eu gravy train if they jump off the one they are currently on thats for sure and it's odds on that a condition of joining the eu will be that they adopt the euro wont it?

My biggest worry once we've got rid of the financial burden north of the border is that the South East might want rid of everything North of Watford! :o

Apart from deep water harbours there's not much else that Scotland brings to the party is there? As for adopting the £...they will want to hitch a ride on the eu gravy train if they jump off the one they are currently on thats for sure and it's odds on that a condition of joining the eu will be that they adopt the euro wont it?

My biggest worry once we've got rid of the financial burden north of the border is that the South East might want rid of everything North of Watford! :o

The South East already has. By the way I pressed like instead of quote.

The South East already has. By the way I pressed like instead of quote.

The economy has been run for the benefit of the south east and London in particular since the 1980s. Economic indicators this week showed the gap between the SE and the rest of the country and the north especially is widening and has accelerated since the financial crisis of 2008-9. In other words, London (which caused the crisis) is getting richer while the rest of the country stagnates.

Nasty accident in Glasgow BTW. Lucky it didn't explode or catch fire on impact otherwise casualties would have been far higher.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if Scotland vote to leave the Union. We're better as a union than all of us spitting into our separate camps. I've had some great holidays in Scotland and never had an ounce of trouble. We used to go to the Edinburgh festival every year. The only people who got on my tits there were the " Hooray Henry " type Brits who worked in Banking etc up there.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if Scotland vote to leave the Union. We're better as a union than all of us spitting into our separate camps. I've had some great holidays in Scotland and never had an ounce of trouble. We used to go to the Edinburgh festival every year. The only people who got on my tits there were the " Hooray Henry " type Brits who worked in Banking etc up there.

Spot on, Scotland is an absolutely fantastic place. There are only two cities in the world where I have said I could live. One was Zurich, the other Edinburgh. I have visited the Cairngorms, Speyside, Orkney, The Highlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Islay to name a few. Thinking about the Outer Hebrides next year.

I know the Inverness / Loch Ness area and the Black Isle better than the Lowlands and I always loved my visits there. It's a beautiful area. Glasgow was a big surprise to me with many fine buildings and architecture and Edinburgh during festival week is wonderful. I'd go every year if I could.

I know the Inverness / Loch Ness area and the Black Isle better than the Lowlands and I always loved my visits there. It's a beautiful area. Glasgow was a big surprise to me with many fine buildings and architecture and Edinburgh during festival week is wonderful. I'd go every year if I could.

I've been up the East Coast of Scotland as far as Dundee , lovely countryside. The East Nuik of Fife, St. Monans, Anstruther, Eley all beautiful unspoiled bits of the U.K. I've always been treated really well by the Scots. This myth of the mean Scot really is a myth.

Spot on, Scotland is an absolutely fantastic place. There are only two cities in the world where I have said I could live. One was Zurich, the other Edinburgh. I have visited the Cairngorms, Speyside, Orkney, The Highlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Islay to name a few. Thinking about the Outer Hebrides next year.

If they vote for Independence they aren't going to raise an iron curtain along Hadrians Wall ffs! You will still be able to have your hollidays up there if you like....... might cost a lump more mind as they will have to pay their own way by that time but I'm sure that won't deter you all.

I've been up the East Coast of Scotland as far as Dundee , lovely countryside. The East Nuik of Fife, St. Monans, Anstruther, Eley all beautiful unspoiled bits of the U.K. I've always been treated really well by the Scots. This myth of the mean Scot really is a myth.

Try drinking in Falkirk !!

Archived