BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The New Business Aptitude Test

I assume that by aptitude tests that you mean what would be called in the UK ability tests? Administering these and personality tests was one of my professional roles when I worked for a living. No doubt they will be using a US provider so I can't give you detailed advice but I would suggest you have a look at www.shldirect.com. Saville & Holdsworth are the UK's leading provider of ability tests - they do work in the US as well. The site I've mentioned gives some explanation as to why they are used and how they work and gives some practice tests for you to have a go at. What sort of tests they will administer depends on the type of role that you are going for although they are likely to use at least verbal and numerical reasoning tests anyway.

SHL seem to be behind most of the aptitude tests I've come across. The 'big 4' accountancy firms use SHL as part of their graduate assessments and I know of at least 10-15 other companies who use SHL (including Accenture and Centrica).

Try their timed practice tests here:

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html

When you do the tests they will give you a score but won't feedback which questions you got wrong. I found it useful to go through each of the tests again and take screenshots of every question, so i could run through it in my own time, get all the questions right and understand the concepts being tested.

SHL seem to be behind most of the aptitude tests I've come across. The 'big 4' accountancy firms use SHL as part of their graduate assessments and I know of at least 10-15 other companies who use SHL (including Accenture and Centrica).

That's certainly true in the UK but I'm not sure how prominent they are in the US market. Still, I would expect whatever organisation is used by BPF's prospective employers will have tests along similar lines.

Really appreciate the advice.

I've had a look at the sites that you have provided and don't think that they are the same as what they are asking me to do.

Based on similar tests available it appears to be more along the lines of:

Out of ten, how ambitious are you?

It arrives in my inbox tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what was on it. Three interviews passed and it all comes down to this. I have everything crossed that it will not hamper my employment goals!

I've had a look at the sites that you have provided and don't think that they are the same as what they are asking me to do.

It arrives in my inbox tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what was on it. Three interviews passed and it all comes down to this. I have everything crossed that it will not hamper my employment goals!

I had to do one of these for my current job. It was sent from the recruitment agency. Basically, from what I've been told after the fact, it is to get a good spread of employees in the firm in terms of personality and work ethic. No right or wrong answers.

No right or wrong answers.

I got told that when I took one during my Air Traffic Controller application, yet they turned me down based on those tests. As I thought I couldn't go wrong I barely gave it any thought. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise really because there is no way I'd want to have taken that route now.

That will be a personality questionnaire then rather than an ability test. Ability tests are timed so can't be done by email. SHL also produce personality questionnaires and again are probably the market leaders in the UK, not sure how big in the States. The most popular is the OPQ (Occupational Personality Questionnaire). There are some sample questions here - http://www.shldirect.com/personality_questionnaire_examples.html. The best advice for these is just to sit down and answer the questions openly and honestly. If you try and think too much about what they are looking for and answer the questions like that you will get yourself into all sorts of knots.

With this kind of test, one of the big things they try and trip you up on is consistency. For example, you might get a question on ambition 3 times, each worded completely differently but testing/asking the same thing.

So my advice would be to answer the questions logically saying all the right things, but keep in mind earlier questions/answers and remain consistent with your responses if they start re wording questions.

I got told that when I took one during my Air Traffic Controller application, yet they turned me down based on those tests. As I thought I couldn't go wrong I barely gave it any thought. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise really because there is no way I'd want to have taken that route now.

Yeah, stressful job apparently.

As stated by sage, they ask the same question about 3 times.

Reminds me of -

What are your major weaknesses?

People tell me that I live in my own little world and often struggle to seperate fantasy from reality.

And what are your major strengths?

I'm Batman!

It didnt use to be like this ..Perfect CVs ,recruitment consultants, tests..All sorts of traps and hurdles out to trip you up..If all jobs were like this many would never work again but its not the case..Abitlty to play cricket and ,make amusing conversation with work colleques was all you needed at our firm. (sounds a joke but some one who will fit in is what most employers look for even they darent say that nowadays.It aint the end of the world if you cant get past these tests.

Well, I have completed the test.

I have never done anything like that before and found it fascinating. It was a mixture of personality based questions, analogies and mathematical / algebraic equations.

I didn't enjoy these:

What is the next number in the series 16 26 21 31?

Well, I have completed the test.

I have never done anything like that before and found it fascinating. It was a mixture of personality based questions, analogies and mathematical / algebraic equations.

I didn't enjoy these:

What is the next number in the series 16 26 21 31?

Ah. I also had to do one of those when I was applying for Officer School for the Armed Forces. Went for three hours.

Good luck!

Archived