BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hangover Cure

I don't start many threads but AS's post in "The Restaurant" thread seemed like a good start. Off we go then:

You don't have to eat it all the time though do you ? Nice try Colin, but lentil casserole won't kill my hangover like a quarter with cheese and strawberry shake :)

Hangover cure? Bugger McDonalds & their processed rubbish.

Get yourself a couple of pints of cold water in the fridge before you venture out. Drink one before you go to bed and the second in the morning.

If that doesn't work then a curry you've got in the fridge or freezer first thing. The more Halapeno chillies the better. I've got myself a dozen chilli plants. Scoff one of them and your hangover becomes a minor irritant.

Rather more prosiacally, cabbage is meant to be a good hangover cure. Bit boring though.

nah, Iron Brew - it's made from girders and it comes from Scotland! :-)

Or, a top quorn burger with roast tomatoes and onions in a proper nice bun with a glass of milk.

Or, a top grilled (good quality) bacon sandwich with grilled tomatoes and a proper cup of tea!

Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep up your hydration levels high and depending on how long you are out far you may need to grab soemthing to eat. This should hopefully lower the chances of you getitng a hangover or even reduce the effects

Drinking water the night before really is miles better than any attempted cure the day after. If I know I'm on a heavy night I'll sometimes write "WATER" on a piece of A4 and put it on my pillow so that I remember to do it when I get in. My technique is just down as much as I can, usually 2-3 pints. If I do forget I really feel it the day after.

The day after still isn't pretty, mind. I've found making iced mochas (frappuccinos in Starbucks langauge) first thing is a good cure. Sounds a bit poncy but it does the trick. For one person just put the following in a blender/food processor: 3/4 glass of half milk, half ice. 1 tsp coffee. 1 tsp sugar. Squirt of chocolate sauce. 1/2 tsp cocoa powder. Blend it until smooth. Top with squirty cream if desired. The combination of caffeine, sugar and ice cold temperature gets the body going again. Plus they taste amazing. Eat something involving a fried egg and you're well on your way to recovery.

As Colin said plenty of water before you go to bed and work the next day, if you lounge around it will never go

I have no idea how that works but it's so true. If you feel particularly bad and have no reason for moving then it's hard to find the motivation to do anything, but if you manage it then you feel 10x better. It shouldn't work but it really does.

Huge amounts of water just before bed is really the only thing that can even put a dent in the massive juggernauts that my hangovers usually build up to. I also find that forcing myself to get up when I wake up for a few minutes at 7 or 8 in the morning and then get even more water makes for a good payoff, sleep a few hours after that and the water somewhat dampens your plight.

If at a dinner party and wine especially red is the order of the day then alternate with a few glasses of water. I should at this stage that fizzy water seems best and similarly in the morning. I will also add that I never seem to take this advice when in a pub and on the beer.

Other than that and this is the absolutely guaranteed quickest hangover cure on the planet...... strenuous physical exercise. Sunday league football was sometimes hell... getting up, getting changed in cold damp changing rooms and worst job of all putting the bloody nets up. 10 mins into any game and the hangover had gone completely. Into the pub and back on the beer after the match feeling brilliant. If it was close season the pub at Sunday lunch was often a complete no no.

I agree with the exercise option.

If, on the evening before a work day, I've had a touch too much to drink I find that doing my usual 5 mile cyling commute clears the cobwebs quite nicely. Especially if the weather is cool or cold. The drinking water appears to be the default though.

May I say "cheers?"

Just crack open another beer in the morning. You don't see tramps complaining of hangovers.

I always drink lucazade sport orange drink, the non fizzy one. That works a treat, I also find getting a good sleep helps. A brew (not special) helps but only 1 or 2. I have a few other non family friendly suggestions so I'll leave you all with some nice ones a nice walk helps or a swim are fantastic if you live near a pool.

Loads of water (usually 2 pints before bed with a pint or two on the bed side table.

Fatty foods are a big no no due to fat cloging up your system and upseting the stomach.

I usually find sleeping for a few hours, waking up and finishing another pont of water and back to bed for a few hours cures any hangover I get

• 2 weeks later...

Archived